Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rojofiam

Maybe but at this moment in time we don’t have any other options and can’t keep going to Fred and mctominay. Ten Hag and him had a great relationship so I’d imagine he’ll try and fit him in somewhere.
I think McTominay has proved how important he is to this team and that will continue. I reckon 90% of United fans are in for huge surprises when Shaw, Maguire, McTominay and Rashford are still key player under ETH.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Chelsea rejected after Eriksen's demands: £200k/week + £10m signing-on fee - from the telegraph

Hope it's not true. Hope we didn't do it. Again and again.
why oh why do people here care about an extra £50k of money that isn't theirs? Either the club can afford it or they can't. He's a class player (maybe not the very very best) and has more than shown his commitment over the past year or so...

And if it's so important, think of the money saved by not paying a fee

Man-United

why oh why do people here care about an extra £50k of money that isn't theirs? Either the club can afford it or they can't. He's a class player (maybe not the very very best) and has more than shown his commitment over the past year or so...

Might be because of Woodward.

Dazzmondo

It's like you've not watched or followed anything about the club for the last 10 years

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think McTominay has proved how important he is to this team and that will continue. I reckon 90% of United fans are in for huge surprises when Shaw, Maguire, McTominay and Rashford are still key player under ETH.
Yup - I still think a truly good manager can bring out the better player that is lurking inside Scotty

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

The policy of giving inflated contracts to players that don’t deserve them is part of the reason we are where we currently are.

This isn’t a comment necessarily aimed at Eriksen but I think if the figures are true we did overpay.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I wouldn’t mind them being key players if they somehow improve… I’m all for giving every single player another chance under a manager that is known for improving players. Time will tell. Think they’ll all get a season at least under ten Hag.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The policy of giving inflated contracts to players that don’t deserve them is part of the reason we are where we currently are.

This isn’t a comment necessarily aimed at Eriksen but I think if the figures are true we did overpay.
"part of" being the operative words. If the player is the right player, I really don't get what he gets paid - or for that matter what he costs. the problem is we've bought some duds, not how much we paid. to make matters worse we've then tried to fit them into a completely wrong style for those players

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I wouldn’t mind them being key players if they somehow improve… I’m all for giving every single player another chance under a manager that is known for improving players. Time will tell. Think they’ll all get a season at least under ten Hag.
I don't have a problem with this for most of them but anyone story leakers or prima donnas must go...

Tavern in the town

This guy does not rely on speed. No reason he can't be as good at 33 as he is now.

Really like this player, and always have.
This has been said about nearly every good football player every. And it almost never turns out that way. It’s not only speed that players lose as they age, otherwise slow players would routinely play until they’re 40.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
"part of" being the operative words. If the player is the right player, I really don't get what he gets paid - or for that matter what he costs. the problem is we've bought some duds, not how much we paid. to make matters worse we've then tried to fit them into a completely wrong style for those players
We’ve bought some shit and now are paying the price because we pay inflated wages because we can’t shift any of them.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This has been said about nearly every good football player every. And it almost never turns out that way. It’s not only speed that players lose as they age, otherwise slow players would routinely play until they’re 40.
I know he's not in the same class, but pretty sure the likes of ronaldo could go on playing until they are 40. zlatan still does and would be even better than he is right now had he not got injured

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
When you see how bad some of our players are in possession and you saw what a difference he made to Brentford when he came in, this is a superb signing.

Tavern in the town

I know he's not in the same class, but pretty sure the likes of ronaldo could go on playing until they are 40. zlatan still does and would be even better than he is right now had he not got injured
Those players are very much anomalies though. Most footballers have a clear decline somewhere around 32, regardless of whether they appear to rely on speed or not. Rio for example had exceptional reading of the game yet he was finished at 34.

kode

Great signing and exciting to see some good football again. This year if we can at least have a great football style (not thinking of winning yet) it will be a great start to ETH revolution.

I also think/feel that:
1- Against the bottom 12 + most Europa League and Cups (ie +30 games)it would be possible to play Eriksen + De Jong + Bruno. this will help unlock most defenses and have great control of the ball.
2- Against the tougher side we can include one DM ( Fred / McTominay/ Martinez) and play one of Bruno or De Jong in the #10,

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Those players are very much anomalies though. Most footballers have a clear decline somewhere around 32, regardless of whether they appear to rely on speed or not. Rio for example had exceptional reading of the game yet he was finished at 34.
True - although with Rio I think part of that might have been for personal family reasons. and CBs without speed are always shown up more than midfielders and forwards. In Maguire's case, long before they reach 40 :):D

Walters_19_MuFc

Didn't believe this signing would ever happen, especially a a month back when there were whispers. Now he seems to be on the brink of singing I am really happy. We'll potentially go from Bruno and one of Fred/McTominay to Eriksen and De Jong, which screams the type of philosophy ten Hag wants to implement at the club.

Teja

Chelsea rejected after Eriksen's demands: £200k/week + £10m signing-on fee - from the telegraph

Hope it's not true. Hope we didn't do it. Again and again.
I agree. We broke our wage structure for DDG and it has bit us for years and years. I think we learned our lessons there.

Someone's probably doing questionable math there - like adding the 10M to his total wage over 3 years and averaging it out to 200k p/w while also giving him the 10M sign on. (Say 140k p/w = 21.8M for 3 years, +10M sign on, that's 31.8M p/3y or ~205k p/w)

Let's wait for better sources.

DevilRed

One of those players that you really wished we had signed earlier. Under fergie I’m convinced we would/should have gone for him.

Moreover, he is a true professional and will be the complete opposite of some of the jokers that used to play for us. If someone like that won’t help reset the culture, then nothing will.

Strootman's Finger

Fixing the mistake we made by not signing him in 2013 when he left Ajax. Love him as a player and I can't wait to watch him play for United.

SoCross

I could see him going the same way Scholes did and playing deeper in the deep lying playmaker/‘quarterback’ role as he gets older.. but certainly not a #6 like Carrick was.
Me too. Some of his play at Brentford is reminiscent of latter day Scholes.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
To be clear, the -sen names no longer refer to the actual name of a child's father in Denmark. They are just family names at this point. Eriksen father is probably not even called Erik.
Just like Mac or Mc but with less self hatred and alcoholism.

Status
Not open for further replies.