Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jev

Buzzing with this. As a Dane, watching him collapse on the pitch last summer is one of the most vivid memories of my life. The following few weeks, the way the country came together in support and euphoria was extremely special. Frankly, United need a fairytale story. We need a bit of goodwill. We've become such an unlikeable team in recent years, a bunch of sulking, miserable, entitled players who've felt hard work was beneath them. Eriksen is exactly what we need, and not just on the pitch.

Jack-C20

Really pleased with this. An important cog in what will hopefully be a well run machine. Looking forward to seeing if his free kicks are as scary as when he’s playing against us.

GreatDane

Yes... you are right...
He only:
  • Died on the pitch a year ago
  • For a decade or so been the only player the Danish international team relied.
  • Played 7 years in Tottenham and regularly Champions League even longer (also for Ajax)
  • Joined Inter as their most expensive player and won the Italian Championship
  • Played Champions League finale with Tottenham in 2019
  • Played just about any club tournament finale that exists
  • Went back to play professional football even though the entire world expected him to quit
  • Not only joined a Premier League side but also instantly.. instantly created an impact . Brentford won his first 5 games
    which was more than they had won the entire season leading up to that, and that was with Eriksen assisting from the get go.
  • The entire City of Brentford expected him to carry their asses above relegation all by himself... and he did...

How could this guy, this who has played abroad all across Europe for more than a decade.
Playing in Serie A and Premier League for most of that time.
Who has literally had the entire football worlds eyes on him.. who made the news worldwide and came back from it.

How could he ever.. understand the pressure that comes with playing for the 6th best team in Premier League ;)
:lol:

Lee565

Man the bias and bitterness within the media is pathetic toward us compared to other clubs.

Listened to talk sport and Danny Murphy was slamming the signing of eriksen on a free as not being good enough signing and just a squad player and yet it was last week he was praising city signing Philips for 45 million and was saying what a great squad option he is.

GreatDane

I think Eriksen will play deeper than Bruno. More like a Fred, with less work rate, more composure and eye for pass.
He will be primarily paired with de jong whilst also providing backup for other positions.
Eriksen is one of the players that works the hardest on the pitch.
He's skillful and creative, and while he's doesn't put in the hardest tackles be assured he will press and get in the way of the opposition.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Man the bias and bitterness within the media is pathetic toward us compared to other clubs.

Listened to talk sport and Danny Murphy was slamming the signing of eriksen on a free as not being good enough signing and just a squad player and yet it was last week he was praising city signing Philips for 45 million and was saying what a great squad option he is.
Aye, seems every single move we make is the wrong one. Even when we are making signings, not spending huge amounts and have cleared a huge chunk off the wage book already. City and Liverpool can do no wrong for signing 70+ mil players who are unproven. (Not meaning Haaland)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Honestly I'd be happy if Eriksen played in Fernandes' role and Fernandes played as a False 9. I know Eriksen has a decent cross on him but it would be a waste of his talents sticking him in a position where you also need pace, unless we just want to be static on the left side and force our LB to keep in a defensive position all the time.

Lee565

Aye, seems every single move we make is the wrong one. Even when we are making signings, not spending huge amounts and have cleared a huge chunk off the wage book already. City and Liverpool can do no wrong for signing 70+ mil players who are unproven. (Not meaning Haaland)
It's true, every one is raving about the signing of nunez without kicking a ball in the league and coming from league that is levels down from the premier league, if we had signed him it would be touted as risky over priced singing on an untested player in a top eauropean league

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Honestly I'd be happy if Eriksen played in Fernandes' role and Fernandes played as a False 9. I know Eriksen has a decent cross on him but it would be a waste of his talents sticking him in a position where you also need pace, unless we just want to be static on the left side and force our LB to keep in a defensive position all the time.
I’m just not sure Bruno would work as a false 9 that’s my only issue. You’d need pace around him and goal scorers of which Rashford in form fits the bill for.

We have a glaring Greenwood shaped hole to fill that can’t be filled by internal candidates.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I’m just not sure Bruno would work as a false 9 that’s my only issue. You’d need pace around him and goal scorers of which Rashford in form fits the bill for.

We have a glaring Greenwood shaped hole to fill that can’t be filled by internal candidates.
Yeah you're right, I'm just desperate because I can't think of an available striker who could whack the ball as good as Fernandes would. Not to mention it would prevent him from getting many chances to do one of his patented long passes to the opposition.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
With a team who largely couldn't be arsed for 6 months we still got 6th place. A few more wins and we'd have got 4th.

There's no way the team under ten Hag will be as bad, especially with a few half decent signings to freshen it up.

We'll be battling for 4th at least this season IMO and I'd not be surprised if we got it with games to spare.

criticalanalysis

I remember being a bit weary when we were linked with him at the end of his Spurs spell simply because it seems like he just had too many miles in his legs. A bit like Ozil, their running stats and work rate is underrated for all the forward play they bring.

However, after literally finding a second breath, it seems he's been revitalised and motivated again.

I'm hoping he makes the impacts that Mata should have made.

Eriksen holds the ball on the right side of midfield, Williams speeds past for the overlap and puts a ball into the box. DVB, who arrives late into the box takes a first time shot and scores with a cultured side pass finish on the volley. The Three Blondies.

C'est Moi Cantona

Better him to come off the bench than Mata, Lingard, or Matic, that's for sure, but reckon he'll be starting most games when fit.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Listened to talk sport and Danny Murphy was slamming the signing of Eriksen on a free as not being good enough signing and just a squad player and yet it was last week he was praising city signing Philips for 45 million and was saying what a great squad option he is.
I understand the point that Murphy was trying to make.
City are Champions with a fabulous team, and they are in a position that they can add a player such as Phillips to their squad, because they don't particularly need to revamp their first XI, although they have, by bringing in Haaland.

United on the other hand, are miles away from where City are, 30 odd points adrift, so in order to close that massive gap, bringing in squad players isn't going to have much of an impact, it's United's first XI that needs urgent improvement.
Eriksen probably isn't the player to do that, unless Bruno is being dropped, but that seems unlikely, so Murphy is probably correctly calling Eriksen a squad player.

I'm happy to sign Eriksen, he is class, but I'm not under any delusions that he will bring United significantly closer to City or Liverpool, which I think is the point that Murphy was trying to get across.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Big fan of this move, he's a classy player who'll be a great addition to the squad. There's going to be part of me that squirms every time he sprints for the ball though. I know he says he's comfortable playing on and that's all that matters, but still...

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

You'll have a much better life if you don't let people like Danny Murphy irritate you.

Prongsy

How much we need a strong technical core compared to how we looked last year. Couldn't hold the ball vs 15th best team with 10 passes. So bloody off pace and technically dull. it's not like our players lacked technique, but somehow through the last year, we just became a joke. If we want to restart our football club as a football club, this kind of a player is a fantastic place to start. Quick excellent first touch and awareness of his surroundings, we need as many players like him as possible to play the kind of football people are expecting EtH to play. Gives depth if used as an attacking midfielder. Would work even a little behind. But very excited and intrigued to see how it works. A win win no matter which way we look at it, on a free transfer. Such an intelligent and lovely human as well. Experience he will bring will be immense.

Flexdegea

It's beyond ridiculous now.

Also heard 2 other ladz who where standing in at 1pm, one of the was claiming we need to re-evaluate the standing of the club as they know it now because of this signing, even when he was saying he will improve us, apparently because Brentford were going against us shows how far the club fallen, why is everything so dramatic, he not going to be the only player we sign this season :lol:

Then again half our base wank over the ABU talking points and carrying them across so totally get why they do it, must drive up serious clicks

RedAlert27

Conte was not dissatisfied with Eriksen's football qualities at Inter. Conte was dissatisfied with Eriksen's personality. He wanted Eriksen to show more aggression, be more dominant verbally and show greater emotion on the pitch. But Eriksen is not like that at all. He is a quiet person and the opposite of Conte as a person. But his work ethic fails nothing. As Conte had become more accustomed to Eriksen, Eriksen played pretty much all the time.
He'll fit in with our current non dominant, emotionless lot then eh!

Will be interesting to see how Ten Hag uses him and if he tries to facilitate him and Bruno in the same lineup. We've played CAMs out wide before with little success. Square peg round hole and all that. Still desperate for a CDM of course

Hester_manc

He'll fit in with our current non dominant, emotionless lot then eh!

Will be interesting to see how Ten Hag uses him and if he tries to facilitate him and Bruno in the same lineup. We've played CAMs out wide before with little success. Square peg round hole and all that. Still desperate for a CDM of course
I think there are enough dominant players off the pitch. Eriksen will be a respected person among his teammate and is a true teamplayer, no doubt about that. On the pitch he is at least as good as Bruno, so I think he will be respected without being the most loud person.

ManRed

Bruno
Eriksen - De Jong

Cant wait to see this midfield. At least we will be more press resistant for the first time ever unless Bruno continues with his Hollywood balls.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bruno
Eriksen - De Jong

Cant wait to see this midfield. At least we will be more press resistant for the first time ever unless Bruno continues with his Hollywood balls.
It'll likely never happen. Ten hag values midfield balance ... Bruno is more likely to join the front 3, with Frenkie and Eriksen being joined by more of a ball winner.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i am fully behind this. my uncle has a pacemaker and this signing has given him a new lease of life.

Swedish_Plumber

By the looks of that video, Sancho is gonna absolutely love him.

Surround him with quality forwards who move into space and we’re in business.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Played seemingly a lot deeper that I thought he did from this highlights video.

His technique and vision are just excellent whether he is playing through passes, long balls, final balls into the box etc. Just a very smart player and opens up the pitch completely with his 2 footed range. Have Martinez as the playmaker from goalkeeper to defence, Frenkie the link from defence to midfield (and attack) Eriksen the link from (some defence) mainly midfield to the attack, Sancho and Bruno in the attacking line to create the chances... We should see very slick and progressive football with guys like that throughout our team, as it has control and creation throughout. Just praying Frenkie actually joins as I think that would be the makings of a fantastic side, just missing the right piece in attack to compliment it.

NewYorkRed

Funny enough I actually think Ronaldo would absolutely love playing with him. His delivery is absolutely top.

Scholsey2004

He's a good player. I reckon he'll play as an 8 here with de Jong at 6 if we ever actually sign him. Right back is an issue if we're looking to play high possession though and it doesnt seem to be getting a lot of attention.

Skills

Snitch
Played seemingly a lot deeper that I thought he did from this highlights video.

Yeah he's not really an AM anymore. He rarely played the 10 even at his best anyway, Alli generally occupied that role with Eriksen playing off the wing.

Skills

Snitch
He's a good player. I reckon he'll play as an 8 here with de Jong at 6 if we ever actually sign him. Right back is an issue if we're looking to play high possession though and it doesnt seem to be getting a lot of attention.
Eriksen actually helps alleviate some of the issues on the right though. His naturally tendency is to drift into channels on the right side of the pitch, while everyone in our team prefers moving to the left.

I think Sancho on the right is an actual option if we have Eriksen on the pitch, as they'll link up quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.