Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

No but I'm also not going to pretend it doesn't happen. It happens quite often with cultured attackers in fact. I don't think midfield is necessarily particularly workrate intensive if you keep possession well either, which is why many midfielders can play at a very high level until their mid to late 30s. Modric, Xabi Alonso, Pirlo, Carrick, Scholes being examples.
No one said it has never happened in the history of history. I'm sure we could even find a striker who has converted to CM, it doesn't mean it should be used as a normal precedent. Also the names in bolded were deep midfielders, they aren't even good precedent for converting Eriksen into one. Our midfield can barely carry itself. Even with lots of possession we might not have the tools to feature Eriksen there for long periods or even at all.

DarkDog

This is such a bad transfer. If we get De Jong, Malacia, Eriksen, Lisandro and Antony it will be god awful window. Backup AM, backup LB, backup-ish RW (depending on Rash and Sancho) and a backup CB. Malacia comes in as back up for Shaw. Given how Malacia and Eriksen will take playing time away from Hannibal and Alvaro we needed top tier players in those positions if ten Hag needed improving in those pos. 2 years from now we will be talking about how we have burned through cash again.
We have Maguire and Varane. Plus 3 players we bought for 30 mil in Jones, Bailly and Lindelof. Lisandro is such a bad buy. He has played, 24, 26 and 24 games in last 3 seasons, he is 24 years old. Played 7 games for ARG and ten Hag didn’t even know his best pos. Half games played in CB half in DM.
Eriksen is the worst age possible for us. You are going to have to play him a lot, and everybody keeps talking how good he was for brentfor. He only played 11 games for brentford. Before that he was criminally bad for the last 4 years. Spurs couldn’t even sell him. We will hear soon that those weren’t the transfers ten Hag wanted.
I know you want transfers but to improve your squad you need to improve your first 11. Not backups.
lets see how this rant ages. I am praying god awfully, but wouldn’t bet on it

AndySmith1990

This is such a bad transfer. If we get De Jong, Malacia, Eriksen, Lisandro and Antony it will be god awful window. Backup AM, backup LB, backup-ish RW (depending on Rash and Sancho) and a backup CB. Malacia comes in as back up for Shaw. Given how Malacia and Eriksen will take playing time away from Hannibal and Alvaro we needed top tier players in those positions if ten Hag needed improving in those pos. 2 years from now we will be talking about how we have burned through cash again.
We have Maguire and Varane. Plus 3 players we bought for 30 mil in Jones, Bailly and Lindelof. Lisandro is such a bad buy. He has played, 24, 26 and 24 games in last 3 seasons, he is 24 years old. Played 7 games for ARG and ten Hag didn’t even know his best pos. Half games played in CB half in DM.
Eriksen is the worst age possible for us. You are going to have to play him a lot, and everybody keeps talking how good he was for brentfor. He only played 11 games for brentford. Before that he was criminally bad for the last 4 years. Spurs couldn’t even sell him. We will hear soon that those weren’t the transfers ten Hag wanted.
I know you want transfers but to improve your squad you need to improve your first 11. Not backups.
Sometimes wish I could down vote comments

captaincantona

Awful post. In a squad which lacks experience and professionalism we get a vastly experienced and professional player on a free who also knows the gaffer to boot. This is a no brainer. Getting rid of the complete waste of space that was Mata, Jesse and Pogba and replacing them with this guy for free at about 1/4 of the salary. Give your head a wobble.

UtdAgain08

But other than that everything is going well. Why do you have to be negative about things, Eriksen will be a good to rotate with our other midfielders, Malacia I've never seen before but cant be worse the Telles and will push Shaw or take his position. Martinez as you said can offer us cover in the DM position or as a CB if needed and Antony would be a good signing as we're short of options on the wings, you don't have to look at things from a negative light, there's just too much of it.

Greck

I don't know what will happen but don't be surprised if some of them are starters. People have just kind of assumed ETH likes the starting xi players they rate. Shaw, Bruno, Maguire. Here's a possibility, a couple of those names might not be his cup of tea and he might be bringing in those closer to his preference. We might have upgraded the starting XI after all. Don't dismiss them as inconsequential backups just yet.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Don't know what's worse the post or the formatting. I'm not sure because that wall of text is fecking unreadable :lol:

P3nnyw1se

Supports
Aab
He was bad for four years before going to Inter?

Well not to ruin your post with facts.....

So these are his stats the 4 years up untill his final half season

SeasonTeamAppsGoals
2018/2019Tottenham Hotspur35 (5)8
2017/2018Tottenham Hotspur37 (0)10
2016/2017Tottenham Hotspur36 (0)8
2015/2016Tottenham Hotspur35 (2)6

So lets look at 2018/2019, that is 6 months before he went to Inter.

Premier League
Minutes played:
2772 - 2nd most played minutes on the entire team
Goals: 8
Assists: 12 - twice as many as any other Tottenham player, and 3rd most assists in the league that year.
Key passes: More than any other Tottenham player

Champions League
Minutes played:
1002 - 2nd most played minutes on the entire team
Goals: 2
Assists: 4 - again most assists, and along with Harry Kane they were the tied with being involved in the most goals
Key passes: 2nd most keypasses
He was also the second highest rated Tottenham player in CHL that year with only Kane ahead.

In fact you know what his last four seasons all have in common, besides Eriksen being criminally bad?
He was also on the top 5 assists in the league, every year.

2018/2019 - 12 assists (3rd in the league)
2017/2018 - 10 assists (5th in the league)
2016/2017 - 15 assists (2nd in the league)
2015/2016 - 13 assists (2nd in the league)

By the way there is only one player in Premier League that made more assists than Eriksen during his years in the league.
Just one player.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/footbal...s-premier-league-assists-since-september-2013

So Just som fun facts about a criminally lousy player.

Last edited:

Vapor trail

:lol:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s currently our best midfielder as much as I love Fred. We should have signed this guy when he was leaving Ajax or Spurs. He was always gettable and better than what we had. I think he’ll play a drifting kind of playmaking role and won’t be competing with Bruno for a spot. What a massive fecking upgrade on McT! He’s world class on his day, absolutely still can run a game of football, he’s super creative and attack minded and he cost nothing.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
This has to be a wum.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Since he joined Brentford he's created the third highest number of goalscoring chances in the league. But, yeah, he's a bad signing...

BaguetteBoy

Awful post. Gives a bad name to the rest of the new members trying to get a few likes. Wish I would vote down such bad comments :(

ReallyUSA

You are going to be a newbie lifer. All time awful post.

chb23

Wow in his highlight reel his passing reminds me so much of scholes.

Quick look up and long pass forward creating some nice chances or moving play forward.

croadyman

If only we had a very good striker to latch onto the end of this man's passes
Yeah that pass into Kane for the second goal in FA Cup Semi was ridiculous, like you say we need someone to get on the end of his quality delivery.

Maybe him and Kane could play together again next summer because we are known admirers.

Last edited:

MrEleson

For the first half of this, I thought it was sarcasm and I was just missing out on some joke. But you were really serious when you hit the enter key.

Paul_Scholes18

He was very good for Brentford. Not sure how Bruno and Eriksen will work together, but Ten Haag might find a way.

ole@thewheel

I have mixed feelings about this one.

On one hand; Its not exactly a transfer that screams 'revolution' on our recruitment and team buidling policy. Seems a bit counter productive and unimaginative of recruiting somebody on his 30s, with questionable fitness, when you should have plenty of top talents around. It may even be an indication of our waning stature as a club, that we cannot attract elite talent anymore, without breaking the bank.

On the other hand; Eriksen may fill a role we are in desperate need in central midfield, where we critically lack sheer numbers.He is a proven professional and a positive influence, and has somewhat 'something'to prove. We are getting him on a free.

Hope we have a bit of luck on this one, and it turns out well enough.

Reactions: Invictus

Acquire Me

Absolutely wonderful signing. Reminds me a lot of Scholes. I also read a piece about him on how he is a real character in any group he joins. Very calm and friendly. People will feel good around him.

I think we need types like him on and off the pitch to move forward. Think we all will see that this is a genius transfer.

AgentP

Happy with this signing! Wonderful player and will play a significant role in our rebuild!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Reminds me of prime Carrick.
I watched it and it reminded me of Beckham, the way he sprays long accurate passes around the pitch and switches play. I can't think of anyone else youve had recently that can do this so well, maybe Pogba very occasionally, but these highlights come from just 11 games for Brentford so its obviously quite a big part of his game.

Prongsy

My concern is all about our defensive play. Bruno, Rash, Sancho or Eriksen are very average defensively and de Jong needs time to adapt to PL. He will probably not be able to compensate for their ground covering weakness anyway.
That is the thing... You have to start somewhere which is at least in sync with how the manager wants us to play. I dont know if we are all expecting us to play with two defensive midfielders. On the other hand, I really doubt if we are capable of playing like City even if we spend 4 months training, or 4 seasons trying. I can imagine us to at least try to be play like the home team in every game, not afraid of the ball, and trying to do good things with the ball. Like from Fergie era, we should always have the ball, and have the perseverance and patience to be able to create an opening no matter what, cos we are just that good. And for that, would he be useful? Yes. but is he going to be enough? Of course not. WE need to win the ball at many areas, and we should also have a physical "love to tackle" mixed with it. But I do now think we wont just have conventional CDM to do all this. We have to play to our strength, and that may be in our ability to retain possession. Easier said than done, cos after all the preparations, Maguire can just make 4 mistakes and cost us 4 games. Manager has to see through all this and know how to quickly fix things. One is hoping we would get there. But for all that, our footballers looked like utter nincompoops with their first touch at end of last season. That'll change, it just has to. If we are to press from front, and have high backline, the midfield has to be intelligent and wanting the ball all the time. Eriksen will fit in there so much. Though i do wonder how we will rotate and who will start and who will be on the bench and what not.

Wezzaldo

What excites me is not just the execution of his passing, but how quickly he sees the pass. Our midfield dallied too much on the ball, not spotting the runs and stopping the attack allowing opposition to reset, whereas he spots and plays the ball in an instant. Great signing

Mcking

A two of Eriksen and De Jong will get overrun every game though.
I'd rather have them in a two or use a three man midfield with De Jong holding and Eriksen and Fernandes either side, than having to watch this 'Bruno false 9' nonsense.

Eriksen has been playing deeper for a while now anyway with Inter, Denmark and Brentford, and I see him as a midfielder that would comfortably perform in any midfield position in a good team.

RPT_Reddevil

Reminds me of prime Carrick.
Was about to say that. Reminds me so much of Carrick in that compilation.

Overall a brilliant singing on a free, specially considering the fact that the squad is so deprived of quality at the moment.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Even I'm happy with this. No, he's not prime Scholes or Keane or a Robson. No he's not the answer to everything. Yes, he is in the older age group. But he has also shown in the past year what effort and commitment can bring to a team that showed very little of it last season. He should be a good presence on and off the field

Highfather_24

Was about to say that. Reminds me so much of Carrick in that compilation.

Overall a brilliant singing on a free, specially considering the fact that the squad is so deprived of quality at the moment.
Actually reminded me of Scholes with those long diagonals. Even his movement and position reminded me of older Scholes. Carrick was far more defensively aware and positionally disciplined.

Hanky panky

Good signing with a free transfer. Creative, good personality etc etc. Probably can make it to starting eleven. And if not, still a useful squad option. Pretty sure he will give more than McTominay or even Pogba has given in last couple of years. Yes, we are few years too late but he is still only 30yo.

Marcelinho87

Awful post. In a squad which lacks experience and professionalism we get a vastly experienced and professional player on a free who also knows the gaffer to boot. This is a no brainer. Getting rid of the complete waste of space that was Mata, Jesse and Pogba and replacing them with this guy for free at about 1/4 of the salary. Give your head a wobble.
Can we stop lumping Mata in with the likes of Pogba and Lingard... He was nothing but professional and hard working for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.