Christian Eriksen

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
No where near good enough from a technical standpoint for a club like Barca.
Not that many players left at barca with better technique and composure than him.

Fabregas didn't cut it with xaviesta as competition under a different manager. Doesn't mean he wouldn't if circumstances back then were as they are now.

Rakitic has inferior technique than either and he made it.

Eriksen has a lot more graft than Fabregas has as well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Looking quite daft so many clubs passing on him when he was at Ajax now, hell Spurs only bought him due to the panic to spend the Bale money

I think he's the best of those wide number 10's in the league, definitely better than the likes of Coutinho and Ozil and numbers wise better than Silva and De Bruyne

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
After Hareide became manager of the Danish national team he's scored 10 in 14 for us or something like that. Under Morten Olsen he scored 6 in 50-odd games. :wenger:

RooneyLegend

I think at this moment he would make it in any team in the world bar Real.
Yeah, that's completely overrating his abilities. Fans of the English do love a highlights player with great stats.
Not that many players left at barca with better technique and composure than him.

Fabregas didn't cut it with xaviesta as competition under a different manager. Doesn't mean he wouldn't if circumstances back then were as they are now.

Rakitic has inferior technique than either and he made it.

Eriksen has a lot more graft than Fabregas has as well.
Not many in midfield with worse technique than him. Fans want Rakitic out of the club asap. Replacing Iniesta with Eriksen is completely out of the question.

Adnandos

Still maintain the opinion that hes tied with De Bruyne for best playmaker in the league. Only a matter of time before a bigger club comes after him, I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
He makes everything looks so easy when he has the ball on his feet. Such a quality player.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Coutinho would be a much better option.
I think Coutinho is a better player, and certainly stylistically much more similar to Iniesta than Eriksen is, but I don't think he is much better than Eriksen. And certainly not for the midfield role where Eriksen has far more experience playing a more disciplined game than Coutinho does.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
what's his technique/ ball control like ?Was annoyed we passed up on him back in 2013.

WhoDaGOAT

Eriksen is ten times better than Coutinho who is simply easier on the eye but often lacking in end product. His shot accuracy is awful. Fun to watch, but not as efficient.

Eriksen is more like a Xavi than an Iniesta. Coutinho does has some similarities with Iniesta, but is obviously not as good as Don Andrés at his peak.

Trizy

Still remains such a strange transfer. Very highly rated youngster with buckets full of potential and seemingly no big club was in for him. To make it worse wasn't he signed for like £14m? Value and a half.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Coutinho at his absolute best is better than Eriksen but he only has those sort of performances 4 to 5 times a season.
For me he is probably the best attacking midfielder in the league bar KdB and that too just marginally.
He hardly has any weakness- fantastic technique, great vision and execution , excellent long passes and shots, fantastic set pieces, decent set pieces and physically haven't seen him get bullied.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I do not know why people think Coutinho and Eriksen would easily slot into the Iniesta role when they do not really play those sort of roles for their current club. Great close control does not automatically mean you will make a great midfielder.

RooneyLegend

I do not know why people think Coutinho and Eriksen would easily slot into the Iniesta role when they do not really play those sort of roles for their current club. Great close control does not automatically mean you will make a great midfielder.
Coutinho has played it quite a few times, even last season for Liverpool when he was playing his best football when they played Palace, West Brom) he did it with aplomb. Recently it seems Brazil are going to test him in that role instead of playing him in attack and from first viewing its going to work out. As for Eriksen he isn't a player i see running the game to a really high level.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
As a Dane, Eriksen can irritate me. He is a good player, don't gonna argue against that, but when he is playing for the national team, he is often anonymous and doesn't play close to his Tottenham level. Of course, there is a lot better players at Spurs than the Danish national team, but Denmark has at this moment some quite good players/talents actually like Chelsea's Andreas Christensen, Soton's Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Leicester's Kasper Schmeichel, Betis' Riza Durmisi, Werder Bremen's Thomas Delaney etc and yet he's not playing good.

Tottenham is his level, and I don't think he has the level for the best clubs in the world. I reckon that Spurs would be the biggest club he's going to play for during his career.
I would speculate that is because Spurs have a very strong midfield with the likes of Dier, Dembele and Wanyama and this assists Eriksen with getting the ball with a little more time to pick out a decent pass.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I'd say Coutinho should have it in him to succeed at a club like Barcelona, he's brilliant on his day but he's also inconsistent and quite different from Eriksen who plays more in service of the team, is more of a playmaker. This shows in stats like assists and chances created, which aren't great for Coutinho. This is why I think Eriksen would do much better in that Iniesta role, they're both the kind of players who play in service of the forwards, which is what Barcelona needs with those forwards and their passing game. Eriksen is a player who makes a team tick better, while Coutinho is a bit more individualistic.
I think differently, I see Coutinho and Iniesta as high energy players always moving and good with short inter-passing moves. I think Eriksen is more slower energy person with stop start football not continuous movement. I would think he would struggle at Barca. Of course Barca might change their style........

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Eriksen is ten times better than Coutinho who is simply easier on the eye but often lacking in end product. His shot accuracy is awful. Fun to watch, but not as efficient.

Eriksen is more like a Xavi than an Iniesta. Coutinho does has some similarities with Iniesta, but is obviously not as good as Don Andrés at his peak.
Coutinho is better at dribbling. Much better, and that catches everyone's eye.

Eriksen is better at everything else.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think differently, I see Coutinho and Iniesta as high energy players always moving and good with short inter-passing moves. I think Eriksen is more slower energy person with stop start football not continuous movement. I would think he would struggle at Barca. Of course Barca might change their style........
Eriksen is always one of the most industrious players on the pitch?

EDIT: In fact, going by this, he's the player covering the largest distance per game.

Last edited:

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Eriksen is always one of the most industrious players on the pitch?

EDIT: In fact, going by this, he's the player covering the largest distance per game.
Interesting stats, wouldn't have thought that and the average coverage by game has Kante and Alonso being high which for me does make sense.

So to refine my statement I don't think Eriksen has the rapid short-fire passing expected of a Barca attacking midfielder unless they are looking to change their style.

diarm

Iceland is not Scandinavia is it?

That article has confused me muchly with its talk of Sigur Ros and Gylfi Sigurdsson.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
The issue with Coutinho is, when he has to backtrack or play a deeper role, he automatically gets further up the field leaving space for the opposition team to pressure the remaining midfielders.
Eriksen last season actually adapted into a deep playmaker role and pressing next to Wanyama, which makes him more flexible in a fluid team structure like Barca. That's why.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Eriksen is a superb player and Tottenhams most important IMO. He's the main cog moving the ball around in the last third searching for Alli/Kane or their wing backs in space. What he probably needs is to add a few more goals to his game to really establish himself as one of the best.

Never understood the hype for Coutinho. Horribly inconsistent and only shows flashes of end product.

Craig Ward

Always rated this guy, would be interesting to see how he took the step up to a big club.

You can argue for and against him being compared to kvb/countinho and the likes but he's certainly up there with the best in this league as an attacking midfielder/playmaker.

He's technically good enough for any league in Europe. Matter of time before he moves on to better things

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's scored 7, 10, 6 and 8 in his 4 PL seasons. If he added anymore goals, he'd be head and shoulders the best attacking MF in the world. Those are already pretty hefty numbers for the position he plays in.

As a Spurs fan, I'm pretty happy that nobody seems to notice how good Eriksen is. Let him stay under the radar, please.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Is the consensus he's still not as good as KDB?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Coutinho is better at dribbling. Much better, and that catches everyone's eye.

Eriksen is better at everything else.
Coutinho's a bit flashier but Eriksen is significantly better, it's not even close.

Bwuk

He's scored 7, 10, 6 and 8 in his 4 PL seasons. If he added anymore goals, he'd be head and shoulders the best attacking MF in the world. Those are already pretty hefty numbers for the position he plays in.

As a Spurs fan, I'm pretty happy that nobody seems to notice how good Eriksen is. Let him stay under the radar, please.
Don't think he'll ever really add many more goals than that, more of a play maker than a goal scorer.

I agree with the consensus that Barca should of went after Eriksen than Coutinho.

Bestietom

I really like this guy, and to think we could have had Eriksen, and Strootman both, for less than what we paid for Fellaini..

I often wonder, would we have lost out on top 4 places, if we had purchased these 2 players....

Then again, maybe some other players, may not have come in....

Coxy

I really like this guy, and to think we could have had Eriksen, and Strootman both, for less than what we paid for Fellaini..

I often wonder, would we have lost out on top 4 places, if we had purchased these 2 players....

Then again, maybe some other players, may not have come in....
indeed...

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

His goals/assists record is great, as you say there's no need for Eriksen to add more goals. For what it's worth he's always the first name on my fantasy team sheet as I know he'll deliver season in season out.

Righteous Steps

Eriksen is a decent bit better than Coutinho yes.
No he isn't at at all actually.

And is pretty obvious why Barca went for Coutinho instead of Eriksen, he has more star quality, inspiration, as well as a better tighter technical game. Where you can say Eriksen betters a bit is by his decision making, and his propensity to play in a midfield position, this is what i'm seeing argued here, but actually Coutinhos last 5 games have all been in cm, all produced good performances and even going back 13-14, he already has a season where he was performing as one of the better side/cms in the league.

In terms of him being better at Coutinho at everything, its a myth, and maybe confirmation bias. He isn't a more consistent passer than Coutinho, per 90 Coutinho betters him with his pass completion, he isn't a better tackler, per 90 Coutinho again more tackles, more interceptions, and more goals. Where he bettered Coutinho last season was in his creative stats, more key passes and more chances created, but that was really it.

If we're looking at what Barca want in an Iniesta replacement, then Coutinho suits them more, as he is a bit more mecurial, more of a maverick and can take 2, 3 players out of the game consistently, leaving space for the likes of Messi and co.

Eriksen doesn't do this half as well, and in the position Iniesta plays the ability to carry the ball forward in short turns and dribbles is paramount, its also quite handy when you get a tight game and you have a player away from your front stars like Messi Dembele and Suarez, who can take the ball upon himself and smash it in the net like Iniesta used to in key moments in key games, when everyone else was suffocated.

Shuriken

If he continues playing like this and keeps up his form in the Prem I can see him nabbing the PL player of the year award or at least getting close to it.

Also, don't forget that he's only 25 years old, so he has time to shine at least for another four years, when he turns 40.

Bwuk

If he continues playing like this and keeps up his form in the Prem I can see him nabbing the PL player of the year award or at least getting close to it.

Also, don't forget that he's only 25 years old, so he has time to shine at least for another four years, when he turns 40.
Meh. I don't think he will. Eriksen is quietly efficient, he's not really a head lines player.

He's comfortably Spurs best player imo. Reeks of the Modric in his last season or so at spurs.