Christian Eriksen

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Spurs have been great at buying in recent years and he is a great example of that. Brilliant player who will tear us a new one on the weekend.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I remember we were linked with him when he was at Ajax.

He is a quality player, perhaps not as good as KDB, but there's not a lot in it in my opinion.

We are crying out for a player like him, I was hoping the likes of Mata and Mkhitaryan could do a similar job, but they don't seem able to at the moment.

I can't see Spurs selling him anytime soon, even for a crazy fee.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I remember we were linked with him when he was at Ajax.

He is a quality player, perhaps not as good as KDB, but there's not a lot in it in my opinion.

We are crying out for a player like him, I was hoping the likes of Mata and Mkhitaryan could do a similar job, but they don't seem to able to at the moment.

I can't see Spurs selling him anytime soon, even for a crazy fee.
I remember not being too impressed with him when we played Ajax. But if I'm not mistaken he played in central midfield that day. He's an odd player in that he rarely catches my eye because he's neither quick nor very skillful. But his passing and vision is top notch and he's extremely consistent.

Thepinhead

Yes for £150m maybe :lol:
Starting to think he is worth it tbh. If Barca are willing to spend that kind of money on coutinho, I'd say Eriksen is worth that as well. Eriksen might not be as spectacular as coutinho when it comes to dribbles and skills but I don't think that is what we need since we have that in Martial and pogba. What we need is a playmaker who can keep posession and move the ball quick and through the opposition lines. I feel we lose the ball too quickly because of our lack of that, and if we don't lose it, we play slow because we have too many people who wan'ts to dribble.

Arka_BleedingRed

Think Spurs got him for only 13 mil.
He was bought for 10 million euros. Just goes on to show that quality can be found at a much cheaper price if one knows where to look. And spending a huge amount doesn't necessarily always bring success. And, it wasn't as if he came from Nowhere. Alongside Gotze and Isco, he was one of the potential world class talents.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Spurs have been great at buying in recent years and he is a great example of that. Brilliant player who will tear us a new one on the weekend.
Only if we allow him to, of which I am 100% sure.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Wasn't he bought with the Bale money? Which they actually spent very badly.

Since then, they've made some decent purchases, but also panic spent £30m on Sissoko.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Wasn't he bought with the Bale money? Which they actually spent very badly.

Since then, they've made some decent purchases, but also panic spent £30m on Sissoko.

Wow.

So their signings since 2013:

13/14
Success: Eriksen (€13m)
Fail: Soldado (€30m), Paulinho (€20m), Capoue (€11m), Chiriches (€10m), Chadli (€8m)
Meh: Lamela (€30m)

14/15
Success: Davies (€12m), Alli (€7m), Vorm (€6m), Dier (€5m)
Fail: Fazio (€10m), Stambouli (€6m), Yedlin (€3m)

15/16
Success: Son (€30m), Alderweireld (€16m), Trippier (€5m)
Fail: N'Jie (€14m), Wimmer (€6m)

16/17
Success: Wanyama (€15m)
Fail: Sissoko (€30m), Janssen (€22m), N'Koudou (€11m)

Bubz27

Wow.

13/14
Fail: Soldado (€30m), Paulinho (€20m), Capoue (€11m), Chiriches (€10m), Chadli (€8m)

14/15

15/16

16/17
Pretty terrible really.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Wow.

13/14

14/15

15/16

16/17
Wouldn't really call Chadli a 'fail', he had that season where he got 10 goals in the league and they made a profit on him. Wimmer also didn't exactly hit but they made a decent profit back selling him.

Some proper bargains in there though. Eriksen, Alli, Dier, Trippier, Alderweireld all for about ~£35m, that's incredible.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Pretty terrible really.
It's not terrible at all. Spurs transfer business has been pretty spectacular the last few seasons, it's a big part of the reason they have finished, 3rd, 2nd the last two seasons. If you were to dissect other top 6 clubs transfer business over the same period, you'll find them all quite similar, if not worse.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Pretty terrible really.
You think? The success players would all be sold for much higher. I always think if you get around 50% success hit rate then you're doing pretty well. I'd also say Wimmer was a success given they got 14m euro profit on him (unbelievable I know).

Needham

I'd be almost sorry to see Pochetino's Spurs break up. Let them challenge City because if we don't attack shite at the back teams like Liverpool we have no genuine hope.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Careful with that "profit" talk. There's been massive inflation in the transfer market in the last few years, you have to adjust for that. Absolute numbers mean little in a closed market like this.

Bubz27

It's not terrible at all. Spurs transfer business has been pretty spectacular the last few seasons, it's a big part of the reason they have finished, 3rd, 2nd the last two seasons. If you were to dissect other top 6 clubs transfer business over the same period, you'll find them all quite similar, if not worse.
50% success rate over the last few seasons isn't good. I think it's below average to be honest. Since Jose took over for us, 2 out 7 have been faill. Roughly 30% failure rate.

If others have a similar rate, I don't think that excuses Spurs business.
You think? The success players would all be sold for much higher. I always think if you get around 50% success hit rate then you're doing pretty well. I'd also say Wimmer was a success given they got 14m euro profit on him (unbelievable I know).
I honestly don't feel 50% is a good rate. Closer to 70-75% is good imo.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham

Wow.

13/14

14/15

15/16

16/17
Sometimes it's a little too simple to divide into 'fail' and 'success'.

Wimmer was sold for 19,40m Euros, and was good cover when we needed him. Chadly did okay for us for a while and was then sold for 15,20m Euros. Hardly a failed transfers when we more than doubled what we paid for them. Yedlin, Stambouli we also made a profit on for example.

Other transfers, whilst not good transfers in hindsight were not that bad in retrospect either. Chiriches we sold for 2m Euros less, Capoue for 2m less and Paulinho for 5m less. Not good transfers, but still not that bad in my opinion.

Of course we have had some transfers that didn't work out, but more often than not we haven't lost a lot on it.

edit: I can appreciate the argument that prices have gone up, but regardless, I won't agree that all these transfers have been 'fails'. Some have been, but to say Wimmer or Chadly were bad purchases when we both benefited on the pitch and financially is silly imo.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Sometimes it's a little too simple to divide into 'fail' and 'success'.

Wimmer was sold for 19,40m Euros, and was good cover when we needed him. Chadly did okay for us for a while and was then sold for 15,20m Euros. Hardly a failed transfers when we more than doubled what we paid for them. Yedlin, Stambouli we also made a profit on for example.

Other transfers, whilst not good transfers in hindsight were not that bad in retrospect either. Chiriches we sold for 2m Euros less, Capoue for 2m less and Paulinho for 5m less. Not good transfers, but still not that bad in my opinion.

Of course we have had some transfers that didn't work out, but more often than not we haven't lost a lot on it.

edit: I can appreciate the argument that prices have gone up, but regardless, I won't agree that all these transfers have been 'fails'. Some have been, but to say Wimmer or Chadly were bad purchases when we both benefited on the pitch and financially is silly imo.
Doesn't matter that prices have gone up. We still made a large loss on Memphis, Schneiderlin and Di Maria. Naturally you've not been paying huge fees for your players as much, we'll see how much you get for Sissoko and Janssen when they're inevitably sold off.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
50% success rate over the last few seasons isn't good. I think it's below average to be honest. Since Jose took over for us, 2 out 7 have been faill. Roughly 30% failure rate.

If others have a similar rate, I don't think that excuses Spurs business.

I honestly don't feel 50% is a good rate. Closer to 70-75% is good imo.

You are comparing a sample size of 2 summer windows with Mourinho with four summer windows at Spurs, so of course you would likely have a better hit rate. If we go back four summer windows, you also signed

Bastian Schweinstiger FAIL
Martial
Depay FAIL
Darmian FAIL? (played just 2 games this season)
Morgan Spiderling FAIL

I would say all of those are fails apart from Martial. If you class Chadli as a fail (which he wasn't by the way, he was an important squad player and scored vital goals), then Darmian is a fail also.

Going back one summer window more, you signed

Di Maria FAIL
Luke Shaw FAIL as it stands right now
Herrera
Rojo
Blind
Falcao FAIL

You simply can't say that United's transfer business is any better than Tottenham's over the last four years. In fact, I think Tottenham's has been better. They have signed more elite players for much lower fees.

Bubz27

You are comparing a sample size of 2 summer windows with Mourinho with four summer windows at Spurs, so of course you would likely have a better hit rate. If we go back four summer windows, you also signed

Bastian Schweinstiger FAIL
Martial
Depay FAIL
Darmian FAIL? (played just 2 games this season)
Morgan Spiderling FAIL

I would say all of those are fails apart from Martial. If you class Chadli as a fail (which he wasn't by the way, he was an important squad player and scored vital goals), then Darmian is a fail also.

Going back one summer window more, you signed

Di Maria FAIL
Luke Shaw FAIL as it stands right now
Herrera
Rojo
Blind
Falcao FAIL

You simply can't say that United's transfer business is any better than Tottenham's over the last four years. In fact, I think Tottenham's has been better. They have signed more elite players for much lower fees.
No, I was comparing our past 2 years with their last 3 years. Not that big of a difference. So I'm sorry, but your post doesn't hold weight.

I'm more than happy to admit our recruitment under Van Gaal was absolutely terrible. Under Jose it's very good.

Rather than summers or years, let's compare Jose to Poch at their current clubs. Spurs have done much better than us at a lot of things, most things in fact. But transfers under our current managers isn't one of them.

For what it's worth, our terrible transfer recruitment over the last few years is a big part of the reason why we've underachieved over the last 5 years. So that one thing we do better than Spurs at currently, isn't actually that big a thing.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
You'd hope that a team with signings at an average price of £42m each would have a better record than a team averaging £11.5m per signing really.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
He was bought for 10 million euros. Just goes on to show that quality can be found at a much cheaper price if one knows where to look. And spending a huge amount doesn't necessarily always bring success. And, it wasn't as if he came from Nowhere. Alongside Gotze and Isco, he was one of the potential world class talents.
So true. Arsenal used to buy unknown talents and make them WC. We would have bought Eriksen 10 years ago.

Trump

Back when I was a lurker, I distinctly remember @Top saying Spurs would be his level.

donkeyfish

I remember not being too impressed with him when we played Ajax. But if I'm not mistaken he played in central midfield that day. He's an odd player in that he rarely catches my eye because he's neither quick nor very skillful. But his passing and vision is top notch and he's extremely consistent.
I think he's quick enough, often wins those two players both running towards the ball from different sides situations. And sometimes has shown up amongst the fastest top speeds, although that's only part of it.

Difficult to separate from anticipation sometimes though.

twitter thread suggester
Back when I was a lurker, I distinctly remember @Top saying Spurs would be his level.
It might sound odd, but I actually still feel that is the case.
I am not sure he would claim a starting place in a top team like Barca, Real, Bayern, Juventus, PSG or City.

Bubz27

You'd hope that a team with signings at an average price of £42m each would have a better record than a team averaging £11.5m per signing really.
Its not an attack on Spurs. And I've already clearly said United's transfer policy over 5 years (maybe even longer) has been terrible.

So precious are Spurs fans. Claiming to be the best team but never actually winning anything must be exhausting.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Its not an attack on Spurs. And I've already clearly said United's transfer policy over 5 years (maybe even longer) has been terrible.

So precious are Spurs fans. Claiming to be the best team but never actually winning anything must be exhausting.
I think this is a bit of a shitty post, we have only had a "best team" for maybe 2 seasons and we're building. It's the same response i see a lot, in a league where we're competing against probably 4-5 richer clubs I think we're doing ok. The league is where the best teams are seen, yes cup competitions are nice and wanted but the draw makes a big difference. We're trying to get bigger and better, but we can't simply buy a title or cup, it takes more time.

Bubz27

I think this is a bit of a shitty post, we have only had a "best team" for maybe 2 seasons and we're building. It's the same response i see a lot, in a league where we're competing against probably 4-5 richer clubs I think we're doing ok. The league is where the best teams are seen, yes cup competitions are nice and wanted but the draw makes a big difference. We're trying to get bigger and better, but we can't simply buy a title or cup, it takes more time.
Was there a need for the post that I replied to though? I haven't had a go at Spurs at any point until the Bale fan decided to defend Spurs by having a pop at United. I think I made a fairly reasonable observation backed up by fairly reasonable points. But the Bale fan was too precious and had to turn it into a pop at United. No need.

Almost like we can't have a reasonable discussion.

Edit: fwiw, I don't actually believe what I said earlier. I was being a bit pedantic. I admire Spurs and what they've done and how they've done it. Some of their fans that I know personally, and on this board, are giving them a bit of a bad rep though, imo.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Wow.

13/14

14/15

15/16

16/17
To be fair for three seasons running they made an incredible signing and for great prices in Eriksen, Alli and Alderweireld. Add Dier into the mix too. I think that's a very good record actually. Look at how much they could sell the likes of Eriksen, Alli and Dier for compared to what they paid for them. Then you've got good signings like Son in there too. Sure, they bought a lot of shit, but for me there are quite a few remarkable successes which outweigh that.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Was there a need for the post that I replied to though? I haven't had a go at Spurs at any point until the Bale fan decided to defend Spurs by having a pop at United. I think I made a fairly reasonable observation backed up by fairly reasonable points. But the Bale fan was too precious and had to turn it into a pop at United. No need.

Almost like we can't have a reasonable discussion.
I just hate the "well yeah great effort but you have one nothing" stickman argument. We're always going to have a "debate" on here but I've learned that not all fans of a particular club has the same views. I didn't mean to rile you but every fan is different.

Bubz27

I just hate the "well yeah great effort but you have one nothing" stickman argument. We're always going to have a "debate" on here but I've learned that not all fans of a particular club has the same views. I didn't mean to rile you but every fan is different.
Check my edit on the original post. I agree that it's a silly argument and I don't really mean it. A ordantice response to a silly post.

You didn't rile me, but the Bale fan did get on my nerves a bit. Make a decent argument, and he has to have a dig at United. I get why you did it, but you could easily have said his post was silly as well. But chose mine to reply to, probably because it struck more of a nerve.

And totally agree about not all fans have the same view. Just unfortunately when there's enough chatting shite, the label kinda sticks. Kind of like all United fans being glory hunters.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Some proper bargains in there though. Eriksen, Alli, Dier, Trippier, Alderweireld all for about ~£35m, that's incredible.
They struck gold for a couple of years but unlikely to be sustainable as more recent signings show. Don't know what our scouts were doing to miss Eriksen.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Check my edit on the original post. I agree that it's a silly argument and I don't really mean it. A ordantice response to a silly post.

You didn't rile me, but the Bale fan did get on my nerves a bit. Make a decent argument, and he has to have a dig at United. I get why you did it, but you could easily have said his post was silly as well. But chose mine to reply to, probably because it struck more of a nerve.

And totally agree about not all fans have the same view. Just unfortunately when there's enough chatting shite, the label kinda sticks. Kind of like all United fans being glory hunters.
I tottally agree mate it's the tribalism of football. It hard to find a site where fans can discuss and have a bit of craic.

So I will say yes we need to win a trophy to nail our flag to the mast. To be honest what most fans don't see is the greater percentage of signings don't work out, I don't think the fee should really matter. Il hold my hands up and say when we signed Soldado I was over the moon, he was a huge hero of mine at Valencia, I knew what he was a fox in the box and TBH as a team we simply weren't suited.

United as a club can afford, due to you own success, to make big signings and if they don't work out it doesn't matter. I have no problem with that and I think it makes the PL more exciting. I think we're on the same page, let's look forward to Sunday, I actually had a bet on United for the title. :)

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They struck gold for a couple of years but unlikely to be sustainable as more recent signings show. Don't know what our scouts were doing to miss Eriksen.
Wanyama was a tremendous signing last season, Sissoko (like Son did) looks like a different player after a frustrating first season, Davinson Sanchez already appears to be a terrific signing and Serge Aurier is playing regular minutes and contributing. Spurs have tried (and failed) to find a pacey wide player, but other than that I don't see how the last few windows haven't been excellent for Spurs.

Moby

Dick
Wanyama was a tremendous signing last season, Sissoko (like Son did) looks like a different player after a frustrating first season, Davinson Sanchez already appears to be a terrific signing and Serge Aurier is playing regular minutes and contributing. Spurs have tried (and failed) to find a pacey wide player, but other than that I don't see how the last few windows haven't been excellent for Spurs.
Indeed. Aurier was a great signing, one which should have been an obvious target for us.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I seriously don't see it with Sissoko.