Christian Eriksen

I don't get that way of thinking as he's still relatively young (28) and if we're judging him off the season he basically told Spurs he was leaving and then didn't really play, it won't reflect well on him. Inter hasn't worked out well for him but he didn't stop being a good player over night - you can even use the Sanchez example as proof of this given he was so poor for United but actually has been decent enough since going there. Different leagues and tactics suit different players & I still think he's a really top player. Since 2015 until last season he never dipped below double figures for assists & always scored a decent amount of goals.

Anyway, I don't think he'll be coming to United so not too bothered about him but I think people are becoming very quick these days to write off proven, elite players.
I agree people can be too quick to write off players. It’s just being really wary, and the commitment of wages is just too high now. How long a contract did he sign at Inter?

I do think that the big contracts for players of his age, may be coming to an end, which would be good news for everyone. Our hands have certainly been burnt, it’s just too much of a risk now. Clearly he is not on Sanchez type wages, but it’s a big commitment from Inter I am sure.

I do think they will need to loan him out to get anyone interested in Jan.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Reckon he'll get a top move next on the premise that he'll be available for cheap - Real need a midfielder and, frankly, I'm sure they've realised Pogba isn't the answer.

He was signed by Inter for something paltry like £16m, he won't be short of suitors should inter be willing to sell for the same again. Reckon City might go for him and then play Rodri behind Eriksen and KDB, would elevate that midfield back to being best in the PL if they do.
Does Real really need a midfielder though?
We`ll see if Ødegaard works out, then you`ll have him, Valverde, Casemiro and Kroos for 3 positions, only need a couple of back-ups after that.
Kroos is only 30 btw, and just 2 years older than Eriksen.

They need to strengthen the attack more than anything, the midfield is more or less set if Ødegaard performs well.

tomaldinho1

Does Real really need a midfielder though?
We`ll see if Ødegaard works out, then you`ll have him, Valverde, Casemiro and Kroos for 3 positions, only need a couple of back-ups after that.
Kroos is only 30 btw, and just 2 years older than Eriksen.

They need to strengthen the attack more than anything, the midfield is more or less set if Ødegaard performs well.
I'm just imagining him and Kroos in front of Casemiro which would be a great three. Agreed though, they need attackers more than anything.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm just imagining him and Kroos in front of Casemiro which would be a great three. Agreed though, they need attackers more than anything.
Tbf, RM could use something in midfield, a back-up for Casemiro, but thats the DM position.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
This has been a disastrous move for him.

The reports I’ve read indicate that -

a) he hasn’t bothered to learn any Italian which is an issue with his teammates (Lukaku stated this in an interview he gave to Belgian press) and

b) Conte stated in an interview that he needs to ‘get rid of his timidity’ - I assume he means on the pitch mainly but I guess this could be construed as a general life criticism if it impacts on him getting a grip on his new surroundings by learning the language, acclimatising to the culture, familiarising himself with teammates etc and then taking control of proceedings on the pitch.

I also think it’s always counterintuitive for players to down tools for a period of time whilst agitating for a move. Unless you’re an absolute exception like a Zlatan or a Ronaldo you are unlikely to be able to switch your good form and the confidence which goes with it on and off.

Once you’ve played at a disinterested 50% for half a year you’re playing with fire - there is every likelihood you won’t get the 6 months or a year you need to play yourself back into form at a new club whilst dealing with a different country, a new language and culture, a new tactical system and the pressure from impatient fans and manager who want to see immediate results to assure themselves they haven’t bought a dud.

In this sense, he absolutely made himself a rod for his own back. In recent years, Suarez is the prime example of how to conduct yourself whilst agitating for a move - never, ever let those performance levels drop because it’s the only currency you have to trade with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jippy

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Inter CEO Marotta to @SkySport: "Yes, I can confirm that Christian Eriksen is on the transfer list. He's gonna leave in January. He's not functional to our plans and he had difficulty here at Inter. I think it's right that Christian goes away to find more space".

#Eriksen

I dont think he would help us here, but maybe Arsenal for some creativity?

Godfather

Inter CEO Marotta to @SkySport: "Yes, I can confirm that Christian Eriksen is on the transfer list. He's gonna leave in January. He's not functional to our plans and he had difficulty here at Inter. I think it's right that Christian goes away to find more space".

#Eriksen

Good luck getting rid with the wages this guy is on.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Still so young at 28!
A bit like Rooney in that he has been playing top flight football from a very young age. Has been on the wane in the last year. Hope he can resurrect his career though as he is a class act.

Chipper

Adulterer.
They've been linked haven't they? I don't know, they could do with him at his best but considering the Ozil situation it would be quite a bold move.

Eriksen would be on big money, and having just failed, flopped and been frozen out at Inter it would be a sizeable gamble. They'd have to be very sure. What if he's finished and ends up flopping there too? They really don't need 2 players sitting around doing nothing on huge wages. The fans would be livid and would say they should have played Ozil to begin with. Being ex-Spurs adds another element to it.

Of course, if they got him and it worked out it might be extra sweet. It would be seen as a really smart transfer, Ozil would be forgotten and the fans would enjoy the banter with Spurs.

abundance

Supports
Inter
This has been a disastrous move for him.

The reports I’ve read indicate that -

a) he hasn’t bothered to learn any Italian which is an issue with his teammates (Lukaku stated this in an interview he gave to Belgian press) and

b) Conte stated in an interview that he needs to ‘get rid of his timidity’ - I assume he means on the pitch mainly but I guess this could be construed as a general life criticism if it impacts on him getting a grip on his new surroundings by learning the language, acclimatising to the culture, familiarising himself with teammates etc and then taking control of proceedings on the pitch.

I also think it’s always counterintuitive for players to down tools for a period of time whilst agitating for a move. Unless you’re an absolute exception like a Zlatan or a Ronaldo you are unlikely to be able to switch your good form and the confidence which goes with it on and off.

Once you’ve played at a disinterested 50% for half a year you’re playing with fire - there is every likelihood you won’t get the 6 months or a year you need to play yourself back into form at a new club whilst dealing with a different country, a new language and culture, a new tactical system and the pressure from impatient fans and manager who want to see immediate results to assure themselves they haven’t bought a dud.

In this sense, he absolutely made himself a rod for his own back. In recent years, Suarez is the prime example of how to conduct yourself whilst agitating for a move - never, ever let those performance levels drop because it’s the only currency you have to trade with.
This is very important, but there's one thing that's even more important: if you're agitating for a move, at least try your best to be sure to go thru all that to end up someplace where they need you, want you, and fit you.

Eriksen move to Inter was at the wrong time, to the wrong team in the wrong league, and most importantly, to the wrong coach.

abundance

Supports
Inter
They've been linked haven't they? I don't know, they could do with him at his best but considering the Ozil situation it would be quite a bold move.

Eriksen would be on big money, and having just failed, flopped and been frozen out at Inter it would be a sizeable gamble. They'd have to be very sure. What if he's finished and ends up flopping there too? They really don't need 2 players sitting around doing nothing on huge wages. The fans would be livid and would say they should have played Ozil to begin with. Being ex-Spurs adds another element to it.

Of course, if they got him and it worked out it might be extra sweet. It would be seen as a smart transfer, Ozil would be forgotten and the fans would enjoy the banter with Spurs.
Eriksen is obviously a gamble in this moment - between his last period at Spurs and his spell at Inter he's really drifted out of the game.

But to accurately weight the gamble, I'd say it's not really the case that he failed at Inter: rather, Inter failed at him.

We wanted to bring in a player in January for the delicate task of improving the team midseason, and we went for a player that had nothing to do with our current playing style - tactics, passing, flow, teammates characteristics - under a coach that demostrated to have zero desire to work with him.

el3mel

In hindsight you can say he really fecked up his career with this move.

ROFLUTION

Eriksen is obviously a gamble in this moment - between his last period at Spurs and his spell at Inter he's really drifted out of the game.

But to accurately weight the gamble, I'd say it's not really the case that he failed at Inter: rather, Inter failed at him.

We wanted to bring in a player in January for the delicate task of improving the team midseason, and we went for a player that had nothing to do with our current playing style - tactics, passing, flow, teammates characteristics - under a coach that demostrated to have zero desire to work with him.
That's my understanding too. That Conte just doesn't like/has Eriksen in his plans. At least that's the danish media's version of it.

Could still be a viable option for a squad player for the short term, if Pogba leaves, to give competition. But I don't think that's our future strategy. We mostly go for talents with many years ahead of them

Arsenal is the obvious move for him. They need him, he fits the style, and he would be given continuity which he thrives with.

Djemba-Djemba

We should go nowhere near him.

He's been playing like shit for around 18 months now. Would be madness to go after him

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Bayern sniff around.

United58

A bit like Rooney in that he has been playing top flight football from a very young age. Has been on the wane in the last year. Hope he can resurrect his career though as he is a class act.
Peak Eriksen was incredible at Spurs. Some players for whatever reason decline early like Rooney and Fabregas or suddenly like Sanchez and van Persie (his drop from 2013/14 to 2014/15 was quite something - towards the end LVG was even dropping him)

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Could see someone like Ancelotti liking the look of this and having the weight to persuade him to “step down”.

Everton board might see it as a punt worth taking to chase CL football.

Could see someone like Ancelotti liking the look of this and having the weight to persuade him to “step down”.

Everton board might see it as a punt worth taking to chase CL football.
James, Siggy and Eriksen. Don’t think that would work.

but he will deffo need to readjust his sights. Cant see a top club touching him now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Thank feck we didn't sign him when we were sniffing around him in 2019 in and around all that Dybala nonsense

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Finished as a top tier player IMO. No clue why. He’s not particularly old, and his game ever relied on physical attributes. A consummate team player too. Something has just gone wrong for him, and it’s been so long, I don’t see the magic returning. Dodged a bullet here, because when he was lining up to leave Spurs, I thought pairing him with Pogba, in front of Matic, was going to be a sensational midfield.

Hopefully he revives his form, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Needs to go to a mid table side where he’ll play every week and be the main man. Arsenal or Everton could be options, but staying in a slower league might be best for him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
James, Siggy and Eriksen. Don’t think that would work.

but he will deffo need to readjust his sights. Cant see a top club touching him now.
I don’t see Siggy as a serious option for them moving forward. I think he lacks mobility and is out of his prime years.

Doucoure - Allan
James - Eriksen - Richarlison
DCL

Obviously it would need to be quite fluid, but if he can get Eriksen back into his Spurs form, he is twice the player Siggy ever was.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Finished as a top tier player IMO. No clue why. He’s not particularly old, and his game ever relied on physical attributes. A consummate team player too. Something has just gone wrong for him, and it’s been so long, I don’t see the magic returning. Dodged a bullet here, because when he was lining up to leave Spurs, I thought pairing him with Pogba, in front of Matic, was going to be a sensational midfield.

Hopefully he revives his form, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Needs to go to a mid table side where he’ll play every week and be the main man. Arsenal or Everton could be options, but staying in a slower league might be best for him.
My thinking is the toll of games he's played at a young age for us(Tottenham) and the national team. He was always top of the stat's of most distanced covered so I think his leg's have gone. Before he left us he was so poor I'm surprised Inter still took a punt... Probably because he was coming to the end of his contract so available for a cheap fee.

Everton/Wolves/Southampton is honestly the level where he could go next. Somebody mentioned Bayern which I just don't believe in.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
My thinking is the toll of games he's played at a young age for us(Tottenham) and the national team. He was always top of the stat's of most distanced covered so I think his leg's have gone. Before he left us he was so poor I'm surprised Inter still took a punt... Probably because he was coming to the end of his contract so available for a cheap fee.

Everton/Wolves/Southampton is honestly the level where he could go next. Somebody mentioned Bayern which I just don't believe in.
Okay, that’s some good context, thank you. His engine for a creative player was always one of the things I admired most about him, but it does support the theory that it is mileage, rather than age which is a contributing factor to the decline of some players. Rooney is probably a good example. PL starter since he was 16/17, and went into noticeable decline at 27, and was washed up at the top level by 29. If he’d broken through at a more common age, like 20 or 21, that would possibly have delayed him decline until his early 30s. Another player who ran a lot in his earlier career.

Still it’s a huge shame. Along with Modric and Bale, Eriksen was one of the Spurs players o truly coveted for United for a long time.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Will be a strange move. In place of who? For the rumuored wages and not a starter
He‘d offer a different profile than the other midfielders at Bayern. The wages would obviously be an issue but the fee will be low.

Edit: i am not advocating for the move. Just saying that i won’t be surprised.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Could be a «Henke»-type of signing on a loan. Not a player for the long run, but someone who know the league, would give us something more on the RW and would make it easier to rest Fernandes. Would probably be desperat to impress too.

Cheap too, I would imagine. Would buy us a bit of time.

28 years old. Five years younger than Cavani. Two years older than Fernandes.

El Zoido

Completely shocked. Don’t even want to speculate, fecking hell.

Paul_Scholes18

Anyone know if he is ok? The crowd had huge celebrations when they took him off, but I am not sure.

Such a tragedy this could be. Denmark should pull out if the worst has happened.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Horrible. Can't imagine what it feels like to be Danish currently.

National icon and happens in major tournament in Copenhagen.

Love to all Danes.