Christian Eriksen

dbs235

You can't fault a guy for ambition. Spurs weren't winning shit so he wanted a move. Things haven't worked out at Inter but he could still be a great asset for teams like Everton, Wolves or Leicester. He can also add depth to teams like Arsenal.
Arsenal are crying out for an attacking mid. He'd easily start for them.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Arsenal are crying out for an attacking mid. He'd easily start for them.
Over Ceballos?

Aubaymeng/Laca/Willian
Ceballos
Partey Xhaka

Maybe a squad player but would he even go there? Seemed pretty loyal to us but who knows. Still think Everton/Leicester/West Ham is his level now.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Over Ceballos?

Aubaymeng/Laca/Willian
Ceballos
Partey Xhaka

Maybe a squad player but would he even go there? Seemed pretty loyal to us but who knows. Still think Everton/Leicester/West Ham is his level now.
I think he's much better than Ceballos personally.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
A reminder how good Christian was in the 15/16 season for us. Shame how much his levels have dropped.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn’t he leave Spurs for a lifestyle choice as well? I assume wherever he goes next will be for the same reason, so I can’t see him coming back to London

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
A reminder how good Christian was in the 15/16 season for us. Shame how much his levels have dropped.

Yep he was a great player. I think Poch's playing style has caught up with him in these years though.
That style is effective and exciting for the fans but it will eventually have an adverse effect on certain players.

I watched a couple of games for Inter last year and Erikson seemed to lack sharpness and his legs seemed heavy for him.
The same happened with Rooney. Just a few seconds off the pace and that shows up alot at the higher level.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Didn’t he leave Spurs for a lifestyle choice as well? I assume wherever he goes next will be for the same reason, so I can’t see him coming back to London
In part, maybe. But he also said he just wanted a refreshing change, because he'd been with Spurs for a quite a long time.

Unfortunately for him, the likes of Real Madrid and Barca weren't interested - perhaps in part because of the tail-off in his performances for Spurs - so he had to settle for Inter Milan.

I don't buy the notion that Eriksen has run himself into the ground. I just think he's lost his way and lost his motivation.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
For the Spurs fans, I know Eriksen was at Spurs for a long time compared to VDV, but was he better than Van Der Vaart?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
In part, maybe. But he also said he just wanted a refreshing change, because he'd been with Spurs for a quite a long time.

Unfortunately for him, the likes of Real Madrid and Barca weren't interested - perhaps in part because of the tail-off in his performances for Spurs - so he had to settle for Inter Milan.

I don't buy the notion that Eriksen has run himself into the ground. I just think he's lost his way and lost his motivation.
I will never understand how a young footballer lose motivation to play football. Even in their 30s.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
For the Spurs fans, I know Eriksen was at Spurs for a long time compared to VDV, but was he better than Van Der Vaart?
Nothing like VdV, both creative players for sure but VdV was all about the flair and imagine asking VdV to track back :lol: . For me VdV all day long for the memories but he wouldn't fit in to the "modern game", same as Ginola. Eriksen was much more the controller of a game and a creator, when on form. If anything VdV is more comparable to Dele in his first season or 2, the reason why us Spurs fans felt a lot for VdV was because he got what it was to be a Spurs player, at that time.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I will never understand how a young footballer lose motivation to play football. Even in their 30s.
I totally can, playing football from a young age, big money at the top level, they live a totally different lifestyle to any of us.. Yes the hours worked are short but you are in a bubble the most of us can never comprehend. Us fans expect our players to feel for the club like we do, the fact is most don't, its just a contract.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I totally can, playing football from a young age, big money at the top level, they live a totally different lifestyle to any of us.. Yes the hours worked are short but you are in a bubble the most of us can never comprehend. Us fans expect our players to feel for the club like we do, the fact is most don't, its just a contract.
Some have a concept of it for sure, spent their youth at the club coming through the ranks, come from working class families that are lifelong fans. Jack Grealish springs to mind, think he was born just down the road from Villa Park, and he himself is a lifelong Villa fan, or Kane, grew up just down the road from WHL, most of his family are Spurs fans I thought? Not many have the skill/athleticism to make it however.

But yes the majority of footballers, for sure, it would be hard to have that context, especially the passion in derby's. You could argue even the passion today for the fans is diluted from the old days when it was say Millwall shipyard workers vs Hammers shipyard workers. Today it is millionaires kicking a plastic ball around, with the fanbase spread across the globe.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I mean, I don't need them to love the club as we do. It's just, they've been doing football since they're a kid. You'd think they're already "brainwashed" to like football. And to be a pro, there should also be immense drive and mentality.

But yeh, it's easy to say from outside.

Lay

I mean, I don't need them to love the club as we do. It's just, they've been doing football since they're a kid. You'd think they're already "brainwashed" to like football. And to be a pro, there should also be immense drive and mentality.

I think a lot get disillusioned with what comes with football than football itself. Nakata retired at 29 because he didn’t like how football was becoming too business like

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Read this. Assou-Ekotto's take on being a footballer, I'm pretty sure a lot of them feel that way but they don't have the balls to say it publicly
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/may/01/benoit-assou-ekotto-tottenham-hotspur

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Probably the fans I’d imagine, especially now in the social media age. Imagine being called a waste of space every day, opening up your twitter to thousands of comments calling you shit. Yeah, they earn way too much money, but they are still human after all.

We’re in an age where it doesn’t take much at all to become a “banter player” Jesse Lingard has an FA Cup winning goal & a key player in a World Cup semi finalist on his CV yet has been nothing but ridiculed for years now. Imagine the stick he gets just walking in the street? Let alone opening up his social media.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Thelittlesthobo

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ahh the great Eriksen debate. What a player he could have been.....

As someone above tried to show, what a player in 2015/16. That's 4 years ago. Under Poch he certainly had his moments. Free kicks, slide rule passes etc etc. He was consistently the top distance runner of all players on the pitch. Dele Ali and Kane used to love him. When he didnt play spurs were 50% of the team.

However the last 18mths of his Spurs career were ruined. The champions league final clouded the issues of what was a disaster of a season for the whole team. Their last 6mths of that season was relegation form. It ultimately cost Poch his job and a HUGE amount of blame lay at Eriksens feet. He wasnt injured. He wasnt tired. He wasnt being treated badly. He just decided that he didnt want to play for Spurs anymore and he tried to get his move on his own terms which everyone knows Levy wont accept.

Start with his performances. He played in protection mode. His running stats were as high as ever but have you ever seen Eriksen win a ball? Nope he is the guy in the square who jockies and jockies but never ever challenges. Running backwards and forwards but not achieving anything. Looks like he is trying but his team mates know that they are playing with a man less. Then you have his free kicks. Have you tried to see how many free kicks he scored in his last 18mths? He scored 2 x free kicks in 55 appearances in 2 seasons. I bet there are players with much better records. His edge dissapeared along with his assists and game play.

Then onto Mr Eriksen himself. Did you watch the Amazon docu? Levy made it clear. £20m and you can go. In the end we got £17m. Basically Eriksen was trying to get himself a move based on his weekly income. I am not sure of exacts but i believe we are talking high £200-300k +. So a club agrees this based on Eriksen forcing the club to sell. Last player who tried to do this to Levy was keeper Gomez and he spent 2 or 3 years on the Spurs bench when he was in his prime. Eriksen got his move based on his effect on the squad and his total lack of performance for 18mths. Trouble is it seems that he is unable to switch the intensity back on and Inter are now left with the poor version of Eriksen but are paying him 3 x as much and have a £17m price tag hanging over him. A £17m price tag based on him being into his last year of Spurs contract so i expect they value him much, much higher. I absolutely guarentee Eriksen wont take a pay cut to move so whoever wants him, i expect Inter will either want £60m + for him and his wages taken care of or, as is happening now he is passive aggressive manipulating for a move. He is now way out of teams like Spurs budgets and i cant see many taking a risk on his price or his wages. No way will Inter let him go cheap.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think a lot get disillusioned with what comes with football than football itself. Nakata retired at 29 because he didn’t like how football was becoming too business like
Hmm. How does football become a business, related to footballer lost motivation to play football? It's easily a separate issue. But maybe that's a valid reason for some.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Probably the fans I’d imagine, especially now in the social media age. Imagine being called a waste of space every day, opening up your twitter to thousands of comments calling you shit. Yeah, they earn way too much money, but they are still human after all.

We’re in an age where it doesn’t take much at all to become a “banter player” Jesse Lingard has an FA Cup winning goal & a key player in a World Cup semi finalist on his CV yet has been nothing but ridiculed for years now. Imagine the stick he gets just walking in the street? Let alone opening up his social media.
Just close that twitter then. People fortunately can live without social media.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Read this. Assou-Ekotto's take on being a footballer, I'm pretty sure a lot of them feel that way but they don't have the balls to say it publicly
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/may/01/benoit-assou-ekotto-tottenham-hotspur
It seems like he had problem adapting to life in England. But he could go back to French. I dunno. That's a bit shallow excuse.

but then, our own Le God Cantona retired really early. And he was loved by fans, the Club, manager, and teammates. And it seemed like he loved living in England (Manchester). So maybe it's true, that i just don't understand their life.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It seems like he had problem adapting to life in England. But he could go back to French. I dunno. That's a bit shallow excuse.

but then, our own Le God Cantona retired really early. And he was loved by fans, the Club, manager, and teammates. And it seemed like he loved living in England (Manchester). So maybe it's true, that i just don't understand their life.
You cannot understand their life my friend. None of us can.

Supports
England
A really excellent example of the grass not always being greener. I actually feel really bad for him, he should be near legend status at Spurs but his last 18 months have sullied it, where, though he always still ran around a lot, it was always clearly slightly half-hearted.

I think he genuinely thought he'd be going to Real Madrid/Barca...and if he'd just carried on playing his regular way, he might have managed it too. Maybe its just difficult to get yourself at the same level once you've spent so long playing within yourself.

Hope he manages to find a good club where he can rediscover his magic.
Yeah, I said the exact same thing at the time: that I think he believed that the top tier of clubs would come in for him and when they didn't, it damaged his ego and confidence. I think that was the nail in the coffin of his career -- or at least the trigger for his downfall.

Supports
England
Some have a concept of it for sure, spent their youth at the club coming through the ranks, come from working class families that are lifelong fans. Jack Grealish springs to mind, think he was born just down the road from Villa Park, and he himself is a lifelong Villa fan, or Kane, grew up just down the road from WHL, most of his family are Spurs fans I thought? Not many have the skill/athleticism to make it however.

But yes the majority of footballers, for sure, it would be hard to have that context, especially the passion in derby's. You could argue even the passion today for the fans is diluted from the old days when it was say Millwall shipyard workers vs Hammers shipyard workers. Today it is millionaires kicking a plastic ball around, with the fanbase spread across the globe.
Good post. It expresses, in a nutshell, why I don't support any club. Supporting a club makes about as much sense to me as supporting Burger King over McDonalds. It's all the same homogenised, sanitised, corporatised and hyperglobalised product. I wish I were around for the days of football as local businesses with local owners fielding local players for the ultimate benefit of the local economy.

Supports
England

Also forgot to add that those players like Kane are only becoming rarer and rarer and will continue to do so. I've even gone so far as to predict that if Kane stays at Spurs for the rest of his career, he'll be the last ever local one-club man in the PL.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Good post. It expresses, in a nutshell, why I don't support any club. Supporting a club makes about as much sense to me as supporting Burger King over McDonalds. It's all the same homogenised, sanitised, corporatised and hyperglobalised product. I wish I were around for the days of football as local businesses with local owners fielding local players for the ultimate benefit of the local economy.
I hear you. It's all just business now and the old club Crest is about the only link to the old days left. Kind of provides that pseudo connection that we desperately want from our supporting tradition.

It's gone. Sold to the highest bidder.

LARulz

He's 28?! Am I the only one surprised by that? I thought he was in his early 30s by now

tomaldinho1

Reckon he'll get a top move next on the premise that he'll be available for cheap - Real need a midfielder and, frankly, I'm sure they've realised Pogba isn't the answer.

He was signed by Inter for something paltry like £16m, he won't be short of suitors should inter be willing to sell for the same again. Reckon City might go for him and then play Rodri behind Eriksen and KDB, would elevate that midfield back to being best in the PL if they do.

Supports
England
I hear you. It's all just business now and the old club Crest is about the only link to the old days left. Kind of provides that pseudo connection that we desperately want from our supporting tradition.

It's gone. Sold to the highest bidder.
For sure. Football clubs now go to a lot of effort to try to artificially emulate that sense of connection through social media campaigns etc., but that only makes the situation worse in a way. It's all bread and circuses: redirecting the need of the masses for a sense of tribal belonging into sitting down and watching millionaires kick a ball around.

The lack of crowds sure has stripped a lot of the aura and mystique away from the whole affair though. Watching these players in empty stadia, I have to imagine a lot of people are wondering why they ever idolised these men.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Reckon he'll get a top move next on the premise that he'll be available for cheap - Real need a midfielder and, frankly, I'm sure they've realised Pogba isn't the answer.

He was signed by Inter for something paltry like £16m, he won't be short of suitors should inter be willing to sell for the same again. Reckon City might go for him and then play Rodri behind Eriksen and KDB, would elevate that midfield back to being best in the PL if they do.
Im not sure hes an upgrade over Silva or Foden? in the short term - and most certainly isnt in the longer term

wont be short of options though and will be interesting to see where he ends up

tomaldinho1

Im not sure hes an upgrade over Silva or Foden? in the short term - and most certainly isnt in the longer term

wont be short of options though and will be interesting to see where he ends up
Personally I think he would be substantially more effective in City's system than both of them. I don't watch City enough but it seems like Silva has struggled a bit of late and whilst I think Foden has potential, there is a decent gap in quality between him and someone like Eriksen in my opinion (assuming Eriksen were to replicate his good form for Spurs).

This is based on the fact he will be available for relative peanuts so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at any top club really, he wants out of Inter & they have said he can leave and with clubs being capped on spending due to covid he's probably going to be the best CM available this year.

Jonesno.8

28, 12m apparently. Surely an instant Mata upgrade lower wages etc. No brained for squad depth. Good option and would allow us to get rid of Pog too.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
For once, we would have all the leverage. Maybe we could get a loan with an option to buy (similar to Bayern with James)?

I’m not a huge fan, but I do think he was very good on the right side of the Spurs midfield. Through the middle I’m not a fan at all. Not sure about the narrative that he suddenly lost it.

not so sure. Was there anyone else in for him when Inter bought him?

looks like a busted flush to me. He’s been at Inter for a year, and was poor for a year before that at Spurs - I would be worried about him being another Sanchez type signing.

I think they will need to loan him out in Jan, can’t see someone signing him on a 3-4 year contract given his recent history.

tomaldinho1

not so sure. Was there anyone else in for him when Inter bought him?

looks like a busted flush to me. He’s been at Inter for a year, and was poor for a year before that at Spurs - I would be worried about him being another Sanchez type signing.

I think they will need to loan him out in Jan, can’t see someone signing him on a 3-4 year contract given his recent history.
I don't get that way of thinking as he's still relatively young (28) and if we're judging him off the season he basically told Spurs he was leaving and then didn't really play, it won't reflect well on him. Inter hasn't worked out well for him but he didn't stop being a good player over night - you can even use the Sanchez example as proof of this given he was so poor for United but actually has been decent enough since going there. Different leagues and tactics suit different players & I still think he's a really top player. Since 2015 until last season he never dipped below double figures for assists & always scored a decent amount of goals.

Anyway, I don't think he'll be coming to United so not too bothered about him but I think people are becoming very quick these days to write off proven, elite players.