Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He didn't specify who it is important to. He could have just been referring to Hollywood and a film making lots of money which is important to someone like him. His comment and the reaction to it is probably exactly what he would have hoped for in terms of people talking about cinema in general.

Importance is totally relative. Take the fact that people get angry about Just Stop Oil protesters slowing down a game of cricket or tennis, for a lot of people watching the sport is the most important thing, but for the protesters it's the future of our planet. For some people Oppenheimer was one of the most important figures of the 20th century but others would say Barbie was more important to them, both answers are valid depending on how they've impacted your life as an individual.
Not really. Unless me claiming my mum is a more significant person than Oppenheimer is also a valid answer (it isn't).

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Schrader might have been referring to its importance from an IMAX/future of cinema perspective. Or he might believe the nuclear threat is still immediate enough that, with war being waged in Europe between a nuclear power and a state backed by nuclear powers, the timing of a film that re-emphasises that point makes it important. Or he may believe the film is using the story of Oppenheimer to comment on other issues relevant to our future, as films are often inclined to do. Or he might have just casually used the word important to mean "is about things I'm interested in".

Regardles, insofar as any film can be "important" it's near impossible to judge that importance without actually seeing the film. The idea that you can judge its social or cinematic value simply on the basis of the subject matter being nominally covered is an odd take on how films work.
Amen.
It’s so good to see Cillian Murphy get the recognition he deserves.
Feel the same way, guy's an amazing actor and seems a decent bloke (I love how uninterested and fed up he seems in most of his interviews :lol:)
There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest films ever made and it's about nothing.
:rolleyes:

It’s about the dangers of letting another man drink your milkshake.
It's a worthy cautionary tale, some might say!

neverdie

There Will Be Blood is about the American Dream. It unravels the mythos of it, basically, and shows that it's all about blood and oil. It wasn't about nothing though mostly a character study.

Other than that, importance is fairly relative. Physics, in film, is often lauded because it has an economic angle to it (Beautiful Mind, Good Will Hunting, stuff like that). It plays upon the idea of genius and economy. But genius given over to a specific part of the economy (war, mostly, when it comes to the academy and the sciences, not because the scientists want it, see Descartes some 400 years ago, but because that's the climate into which the science is produced). Einstein is arguably the most important person of the last century. Then some others might say Gandhi. Impossible to measure. Hitler will be the most remembered, which is an old quip, regardless. And that is a comment upon the science-war-economy belt, to which Oppenheimer himself, of course, would become infamously welded.

It's like the artists in the Renaissance era. Or Machiavelli. He wrote The Prince but he wrote it for a patron. Question, then, is how much of the climate made Machiavelli (demand for such a text) and how much of Machiavelli made the climate. Just a thought (the gist being that the scientists are patronized by military industrial complexes of the world). Think about it. Whether you are a pacifist or a Nazi, if you are a scientist and into physics, that will be used in war and peace (but mostly war). It's the way the worlds' academies are poisoned by the way the world itself has been made.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've watched it. I don't get the hype. Oppenheimers story isn't that interesting to turn it into a proper summer blockbuster.

It all felt relatively safe. And too much background music. I swear to God, directors need to appreciate the art of leaving out the background music. The atomic bomb explosion was the most interesting moment of the movie and Nolan used annoying background music for the countdown rather than let the audience anticipate in silence and build up the tension.

It's just an above average drama movie at the end of the day. It's got big production values and all but it just wasn't that interesting. The kind of movie you'll watch on some rainy Sunday evening on TV.

I mean, let's be real here. The bomb test was the most interesting moment. All the personal drama around Oppenheimer was meh.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
What. A. Fecking. Movie.

P.S. definitely imax the shit out of it.
Yay!
I've watched it. I don't get the hype. Oppenheimers story isn't that interesting to turn it into a proper summer blockbuster.

It all felt relatively safe. And too much background music. I swear to God, directors need to appreciate the art of leaving out the background music. The atomic bomb explosion was the most interesting moment of the movie and Nolan used annoying background music for the countdown rather than let the audience anticipate in silence.

It's just an above average drama movie at the end of the day.
Boo!

Sweet Square

Will most likely see this on Sunday. I was going to book a imax screening for next month but tbh all the nerd shite about 40mm film etc has put me off.

Just want to see how it holds up in a normal cinema where the seats are uncomfortable and your shoes stick to the floor.

Red Stone

Death, taxes and random bitter Caftards needlessly shitting on even the best of things.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Death, taxes and random bitter Caftards needlessly shitting on even the best of things.
You must be kidding, the stuff that we Cafites are most enthusiastic about ranges from the crushingly mediocre to the complete rot. We have the collective palate of a dung beetle.

Big Andy

Bloke
You must be kidding, the stuff that we Cafites are most enthusiastic about ranges from the crushingly mediocre to the complete rot. We have the collective palate of a dung beetle.
We had a load of posters watching a YouTube live stream of a plane taking off before, just because a new player was on it. So we are collectively in no position to be judging any form of entertainment.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We had a load of posters watching a YouTube live stream of a plane taking off before, just because a new player was on it. So we are collectively in no position to be judging any form of entertainment.
Please tell me that didn't happen?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Art isn't important?
Lots of things such as art or music could be considered important to have in a general sense but it seems a very odd thing to call a blockbuster biopic, no matter how interesting the person or key event. Why is it important as a film exactly?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Lots of things such as art or music could be considered important to have in a general sense but it seems a very odd thing to call a blockbuster biopic, no matter how interesting the person or key event. Why is it important as a film exactly?
I'll let you know on Sunday ;)

wr8_utd

:'(
Just got back from it in Imax. Brilliant movie and so much better than the nonsense he did with Tenet. Great acting all around and loved the background score.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

slored1

It all felt relatively safe. And too much background music. I swear to God, directors need to appreciate the art of leaving out the background music. The atomic bomb explosion was the most interesting moment of the movie and Nolan used annoying background music for the countdown rather than let the audience anticipate in silence and build up the tension.

It's just an above average drama movie at the end of the day. It's got big production values and all but it just wasn't that interesting. The kind of movie you'll watch on some rainy Sunday evening on TV.

I mean, let's be real here. The bomb test was the most interesting moment. All the personal drama around Oppenheimer was meh.
Same feeling. Incredible acting, musical credits, camerawork but the story gets quite uninteresting in the last hour. We know what happens so the final consequences are not that dramatic. 7/10.

Sweet Square

Might help get you through the 3 hr run time?
:lol:

I wish there was some international law that banned the making of 3 hour films for the next couple of years. Can’t remember the last time a big blockbuster was a nice 90 minute run time.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
guys we're talking about Nolan's movies.
they aren't important. get over it.
Couldn't care less who directed it, it's an important story to tell.

Definitely wasn't swayed one iota to see it due to Nolan being involved in it.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Seeing it on Monday and can’t wait based on reviews I’m seeing.

wr8_utd

:'(
One thing that I wish they'd included was
the impact the test bomb in New Mexico would have had on residents and those nearby. It's a story left untold even though I understand the movie is all about Oppenheimer.