Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

Zen86

So you don't think even some average film like Contagion that actually warned people about possible pandemic is more important than character case study movie? Contagion is the first movie from top of my mind that I mention that was by the looks of it far more important than Oppenheimer.
Terminator is probably the most important movie ever made, considering the recent leaps in AI capability.

Wing Attack Plan R

Oppenheimer quoted from the Bhagavad Gita when he said that. And he says "I", but he didn't create/design the bomb. It was a whole team of scientists. He was just the leader.

And why did they create the bomb? Because Germany might have been creating it. And who decided to bomb Japan? Not Oppenheimer.

Look, for anyone interested, read American Prometheus, the best biography I've ever read.

Oppenheimer had been and still is terribly misunderstood. It's a tragedy, really.
Suddenly you sound all smart and stuff.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
So you don't think even some average film like Contagion that actually warned people about possible pandemic is more important than character case study movie? Contagion is the first movie from top of my mind that I mention that was by the looks of it far more important than Oppenheimer.
What he, you or I think is actually pretty irrelevent - what Schrader thinks is what has been posted, and which can be explained in various ways that have been explained to you since then. It doesn't matter whether you think it's important or not, it doesn't negate someone having worked in the film industry for 50 years and having had a pretty illustrious career holding that view.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I know right? :(

That's the only reason why I'd watch it again, for the sonic/visual experience. Otherwise it's 2 hrs of nothingness
I really enjoyed Dunkirk, but sort of agree with your point and what @Wibble said on the last page, that considering what it was depicting it did lack the human element, to me anyways, especially with the repeated evacuation journeys. I enjoyed seeing it in cinema though, and again like you said the visual and audio experience was great.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What he, you or I think is actually pretty irrelevent - what Schrader thinks is what has been posted, and which can be explained in various ways that have been explained to you since then. It doesn't matter whether you think it's important or not, it doesn't negate someone having worked in the film industry for 50 years and having had a pretty illustrious career holding that view.
From now on we'll just agree with what everyone with experience says and stop making any discussions, because if Schrader said that, it must be true, and anyone questioning it should be laughed at.

I hope you read your own posts sometimes and see how condensceding you can be towards posters without actually giving any counter arguments whatsoever.

Terminator is probably the most important movie ever made, considering the recent leaps in AI capability.
Yeah, good shout. Alltough tbf it's not from this contury, but then it was talking about future robots.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
From now on we'll just agree with what everyone with experience says and stop making any discussions, because if Schrader said that, it must be true, and anyone questioning it should be laughed at.

I hope you read your own posts sometimes and see how condensceding you can be towards posters without actually giving any counter arguments whatsoever.
You should probably re-read yourself - I'm not saying what Schrader says is true. Unlike you, I have no opinion on what he's said, cos I'll only be able to form such an opinion once I've seen the film.

What I'm saying is that it's perfectly reasonable for someone to hold that view considering the topic at hand, and the fact it's someone with such an illustrious career makes it quite interesting (and reinforces my desire to see the film even more).

I really don't see how finding your stance on taking a dig at and ridiculing Schrader's opinion to be at best premature, at worst a bit silly is being condescending. Considering others' responses in here, I feel I probably wasn't alone in that.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No, that film was Tenet. Basically they have to stop a bomb going forward in time from going backwards in time, and to do this they have to go backwards forwards through time. But there's people going forwards backwards through time who want to not stop the bomb from not being stopped, because if it goes backwards backwards through time then it goes forwards and kabloowee, kablammo. Then the Americans built a nuclear bomb to stop things going forward and Oppositeheimer had a reverse-breakdancing non-competition with his backwards self, who is the opposite of Oppositeheimer. Best dance loses.

feckin' still pitching that idea to studio execs again. I think because of the writer's strike I might have a chance this time.
:lol: you keep that dream alive Mr P. Id pay to watch that movie.

No-one is agreeing with him though, cause none of us have seen the fecking film.
You are the one who seems to have a massive problem with an experienced screenwriter thinking it could be the most important film of the Century, despite you not even seeing it.

All the rest of us have said it’s that we can understand why he might think that considering the subject matter and the fact that he’s actually, you know, seen the fexking thing in order form his opinion.

Get a hold of yourself man.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would like to see Cillian Murphy in a David Byrne biopic. This has nothing to do with Oppenheimer.

Chairman Steve

I would like to see Cillian Murphy in a David Byrne biopic. This has nothing to do with Oppenheimer.
He’d be perfect for a George Best biopic considering how he looks exactly like him.

I’m not surprised this is getting rave reviews. It does look good and interesting. I wish Nolan would go back to making movies like The Prestige and let those high-concept big budget films rest for a bit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why would it be "the most important movie"?

Is it about bomb they are making for the future?
Yeah I'm with you. Can be a great movie and all. Excited to see it. But "most important movie of the century"?? What is so important that everyone must see this one, over a movie like Life on Out Planet by David Attenborough? A movie that warns of things to come if people don't change what we are doing asap. How is a movie about a nuclear bomb (which everyone is well versed about the horrors of it) going to actually be incredibly important, moreso than ANY other movie?

It's just over the top. Just call it a great movie and leave it at that...

Herman Toothrot

Yeah I'm with you. Can be a great movie and all. Excited to see it. But "most important movie of the century"?? What is so important that everyone must see this one, over a movie like Life on Out Planet by David Attenborough? A movie that warns of things to come if people don't change what we are doing asap. How is a movie about a nuclear bomb (which everyone is well versed about the horrors of it) going to actually be incredibly important, moreso than ANY other movie?

Maybe just watch it first then form your opinion. Even if you disagree, he's every right to think what he thinks. How are you all clutching your pearls at one person's opinion of a film you've never seen?

bosnian_red

Maybe just watch it first then form your opinion. Even if you disagree, he's every right to think what he thinks. How are you all clutching your pearls at one person's opinion of a film you've never seen?
Just kind of a ridiculous and OTT thing to say.. importance of a movie IMO at least is less about quality and more purely about the plot/message. We already know what "it's about". So considering there is one that goes very in depth on climate change, it's hard to say that a movie about a bomb a long time ago can in any way be more important.

Like Amar said, we're allowed to think somebody has a ridiculous opinion and it has nothing to do with movie quality. It has nothing to do with modern day politics, nothing to do with the modern day climate crisis. So how can it be more important??

Lee565

Interesting

The idea of this being the most important films of this century is not so much because of the actual storyline of the film but more to do with the way the film was produced and the actual big screen experience which has heavily eroded since covid.

bosnian_red

The idea of this being the most important films of this century is not so much because of the actual storyline of the film but more to do with the way the film was produced and the actual big screen experience which has heavily eroded since covid.
See this is a fair thing to say. From a cinematography point of view, could be. Importance I guess is subjective anyway, but Amar and myself definitely went for the "plot importance"

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Because best movie of the century wasn't good enough praise, so everyone questioning extra "most important movie" praise are idiots.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Schrader might have been referring to its importance from an IMAX/future of cinema perspective. Or he might believe the nuclear threat is still immediate enough that, with war being waged in Europe between a nuclear power and a state backed by nuclear powers, the timing of a film that re-emphasises that point makes it important. Or he may believe the film is using the story of Oppenheimer to comment on other issues relevant to our future, as films are often inclined to do. Or he might have just casually used the word important to mean "is about things I'm interested in".

Regardles, insofar as any film can be "important" it's near impossible to judge that importance without actually seeing the film. The idea that you can judge its social or cinematic value simply on the basis of the subject matter being nominally covered is an odd take on how films work.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm going tomorrow to see it. The subject matter (Manhattan Project) is fascinating but I fear the movie will focus too much on some "tortured soul" moral dilemma regarding Oppenheimer's life.

Herman Toothrot

Just kind of a ridiculous and OTT thing to say.. importance of a movie IMO at least is less about quality and more purely about the plot/message. We already know what "it's about". So considering there is one that goes very in depth on climate change, it's hard to say that a movie about a bomb a long time ago can in any way be more important.

Like Amar said, we're allowed to think somebody has a ridiculous opinion and it has nothing to do with movie quality. It has nothing to do with modern day politics, nothing to do with the modern day climate crisis. So how can it be more important??
There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest films ever made and it's about nothing.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Regardles, insofar as any film can be "important" it's near impossible to judge that importance without actually seeing the film. The idea that you can judge its social or cinematic value simply on the basis of the subject matter being nominally covered is an odd take on how films work.
While I completely agree with the sentiment of your post, Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Haven't seen it, but I promise you both its social and cinematic value put it into the upper echelon of most important films of the last 100 years.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I've not read one negative review on this, but in fact there is a very big buzz about this which is setting expectations high for me.

American Prometheus ordered for tomorrow to read before I see this. I know a lot about Oppenheimer, but a lot of the finer details escape me so would be great to see what the book lays out as well as visualising this.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
So is it good then? The last 2 Nolan films I saw were a chore (Inception and Interstellar) and I hope this is him back on form.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So is it good then? The last 2 Nolan films I saw were a chore (Inception and Interstellar) and I hope this is him back on form.
I didn't mind Inception. Largely because I thought it would end up being total nonsense but at least it ended well based on the premise, which was no mean trick. Interstellar however ........ what utter and complete bollocks.

Oppenheimer sounds great but with a 3 hr run time and me not being a huge Nolan fan I doubt I will watch it at the cinema.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Important is a weird thing to call a film.
People within the film industry tend to overstate the importance of their medium. It’s funny how everyone is quoting this one single quote - you google Oppenheimer and all you get is most important film etc etc The guy who said it probably didn’t think as much as people think and just wanted to praise it the way many of us do when we watch a film we love.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I haven’t loved his recent work either.

Inception was decent but convoluted as feck - never had any interest in rewatching it. Interstellar was again fine from a technical standpoint but I thought it was missed potential with regards to the space exploration and the human element felt too hammy / on your nose. I didn’t watch Tenet because of all that I read about it.

marktan

I get the feeling that this will be an Americanised version of 'Imitation Game', which was a complete chore to watch. There's only so much you can really do with a script that's the life story of some science geek.

Man sits at desk for 8 hours a day. Woohoo..

nickyboy1981

I get the feeling that this will be an Americanised version of 'Imitation Game', which was a complete chore to watch. There's only so much you can really do with a script that's the life story of some science geek.

Man sits at desk for 8 hours a day. Woohoo..
The Imitation Game is fantastic in my opinion.. I have watched it multiple times and never found it boring. Turing was a super geek, but I'd struggle to call his life boring. However, I saw the extended trailer for Openheimer whilst watching Indy last night. I did think to myself that I'm not sure how they are going to make it exciting other than showing the bomb go off the first time.

I think it's hard to make the film appealing in a traler with this type of drama, I'm still sure it will be good if not great. Can't be worse than Dunkirk surely. Even that was watchable despite hardly anything actually happening.

Edit. Just seen it's 3 hours which worries me slightly (although admittedly I don't know the full story of Oppenheimer).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Imitation Game is fantastic in my opinion.. I have watched it multiple times and never found it boring. Turing was a super geek, but I'd struggle to call his life boring. However, I saw the extended trailer for Openheimer whilst watching Indy last night. I did think to myself that I'm not sure how they are going to make it exciting other than showing the bomb go off the first time.

I think it's hard to make the film appealing in a traler with this type of drama, I'm still sure it will be good if not great. Can't be worse than Dunkirk surely. Even that was watchable despite hardly anything actually happening.

Edit. Just seen it's 3 hours which worries me slightly (although admittedly I don't know the full story of Oppenheimer).
Completely agree on The Imitation Game. Just rewatched it a couple of weeks ago & it was still quality.

Care_de_Bobo

Great =/= important is the point... can be a shite movie but very important, and a great movie with no real life relevance
He didn't specify who it is important to. He could have just been referring to Hollywood and a film making lots of money which is important to someone like him. His comment and the reaction to it is probably exactly what he would have hoped for in terms of people talking about cinema in general.

Importance is totally relative. Take the fact that people get angry about Just Stop Oil protesters slowing down a game of cricket or tennis, for a lot of people watching the sport is the most important thing, but for the protesters it's the future of our planet. For some people Oppenheimer was one of the most important figures of the 20th century but others would say Barbie was more important to them, both answers are valid depending on how they've impacted your life as an individual.