Music CHVRCHES

LARulz

They are good. Heard them on Radio 1 on Zane Lowe's thing and they surprised me, his intro didn't sound great for them but pleasantly wrong. They're also pretty good live when I saw them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been giving their album a good listen and enjoying. Aside from the singles, Tether is great.

The start of By the Throat sounds like Last Christmas.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The album is one of the best I've heard in ages. Like every single song.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Been listening to this a lot over the last few weeks, it's quality.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I'm really late to this party but I brought the album a few days ago and it's fecking awesome.

I'm a huge fan of bringing back massive synth leads.

Now one of my favourite albums of 2013 that I didn't know existed in 2013 :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Up there with The XX as being one of the best debut albums i've heard.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I love this song, which is a bonus song on the album, the synth drop is pretty heavy then the song kicks on and you just wanna shake it.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
The Mother We Share is something special, love her voice. Great debut album. Don't think they'd ever tour NZ though, hope I'm wrong about that.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Other than TMWS my favourites are We Sink, Gun, Lungs, and By The Throat.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This band got plenty of acclaim, yet they're still fairly underrated imo. How many better albums than this have there actually been in the last five years? If the Mercury prize had any meaning they'd surely have won, no?

Scrumpet

There are no words
This band got plenty of acclaim, yet they're still fairly underrated imo. How many better albums than this have there actually been in the last five years? If the Mercury prize had any meaning they'd surely have won, no?
I think the album was released about a week after the cut off point, so it's eligible for this year's Mercury prize.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Saw them yesterday evening at Bestival, was a right good old knees up.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I'm a fan of any song that Lauren Mayberry sings lead vocals. The ones where she doesn't are poor. They're touring USA at the moment.

Saw their Reading performance and it's the same with any keyboard / synth / dance band however, there isn't much of a spectacle live apart from the lead singer.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Saw their Reading performance and it's the same with any keyboard / synth / dance band however, there isn't much of a spectacle live apart from the lead singer.
The problem with bands like these is they sound awful in live recordings like these where you lose all the bottom end, so much better in real life with the full range, you don't need the spectacle of what they're doing on stage quite as much.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
The problem with bands like these is they sound awful in live recordings like these where you lose all the bottom end, so much better in real life with the full range, you don't need the spectacle of what they're doing on stage quite as much.
Interesting, I can see that working out actually.

Normally it's the opposite. Don't know if anyone has seen a band called Wolf Alice - live, they massively over do the setup and drown out the poor girl's voice. Less synthy than Chrvches, and a lot less hyped too btw. Probably won't amount to much but Blush is heck of a tune -
Back to topic - Lies and Gun are brilliant tunes. It'll be interesting to see what they do with their next album. Lots of touring, good exposure, picking up influences from other artists etc. Hayley Williams spoke about how she loved some of their stuff so I wonder if they'll look to collaborate or bring more instruments into the fold. Looking forward to hearing how they develop the sound anyway...

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings

I prefer this to the original.
I'm a big Chvrches fan but for me this doesn't come close to the original. Half the awesomeness of that song is the riff, and their cover does away with it completely. Still a decent cover though, her voice sounds good singing anything pretty much.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
They don't seem great live, at least going off various YouTube clips from different festivals etc. The singer still sounds great, it's just that the music never seems to have life, and sometimes seems to be out of time. Pity, because her voice sounds great every time I've heard her, and on the record their songs have that perfect balance of sounding both calculated and alive.

LARulz

They don't seem great live, at least going off various YouTube clips from different festivals etc. The singer still sounds great, it's just that the music never seems to have life, and sometimes seems to be out of time. Pity, because her voice sounds great every time I've heard her, and on the record their songs have that perfect balance of sounding both calculated and alive.
I saw them at a festival last year and sounded good to me, but they were fairly fresh then so they may have no changed up their live act. I hate watching clips off recordings cos it always sounds crap.