City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Out of interest, how much investment have the Emiratis put into Manchester? I've heard this as another reason why some in power won't say anything but not sure if this is actually true or if it is, whether we're talking about one block of luxury apartments or widespread investment across the city?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Chris Wood and Son just handed them the title. I would investigate and check their bank accounts if I was the FA. Especially Wood - the fellow could have had a hat trick against City in a game where they were absolutely outplayed and should have lost.
You've gotta be a member of QAnon!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Out of interest, how much investment have the Emiratis put into Manchester? I've heard this as another reason why some in power won't say anything but not sure if this is actually true or if it is, whether we're talking about one block of luxury apartments or widespread investment across the city?
They've given lots of children and university students in the city the opportunity to see Premier League football for free or for a heavily discounted rate.

hp88

I’m thinking more across the country ? When you have got the Sports Minister meeting with representatives from City you get the feeling there are bigger things going on outside of football.

croadyman

No chance. You celebrate wildly in the spur of the moment, regardless of VAR. Some of them look confused as to what's actually going on, like they've never been before.
Can see tourists in that video and boy it shows

croadyman

Chris Wood and Son just handed them the title. I would investigate and check their bank accounts if I was the FA. Especially Wood - the fellow could have had a hat trick against City in a game where they were absolutely outplayed and should have lost.
Ah yes didn't something come out about him being a City fan which makes it more suspicious

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
"abu dhabi investment in manchester"

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...english-city-sold-abu-dhabis-elite-manchester

There are a lot of stories on how they've come in and ingratiated themselves with the city and smoothed their path to doing whatever they want with no objection at local level. No different to what they've done with the government, just localised.

Researchers ‘unable to identify any income received by the council’ under joint venture with Abu Dhabi United Group

Public land sold to Manchester City’s owners on the cheap in ‘sweetheart deal,’ report claims

Researchers ‘unable to identify any income received by the council’ under joint venture with Abu Dhabi United Group

Get the free Morning Headlines email for news from our reporters across the world

Manchester City Council has has been accused of selling huge tracts of public land at discount prices to the Abu Dhabi investment fund that owns the Premier League champions.
The city’s reputation has been put at risk by the authority entering into a “bad deal for the council and its citzens” despite human rights concerns about the United Arab Emirates, according to a new report that raises questions about how the ownership of football clubs is used for political aims that are not beneficial to wider society.

The 65-page report by academics at the University of Sheffield concludes council’s sale of sites to with Manchester City’s owner, Sheikh Mansour, is “instructive” on both sportswashing and “city-washing”. The researchers said the situation should lead to scrutiny of other cities such as Newcastle, where Saudi Arabian investors have invested in Newcastle United Football Club.

One of the most common criticisms of these ownerships is such clubs are used for other purposes, not least the integration of problematic states into the infrastructure of society.
The research primarily covers the Manchester Life partnership, a joint venture that has built 1,468 private apartments in the gentrified Ancoats district. In contrast to the common counter-argument that Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG) investment has regenerated east Manchester, the report was “unable to identify any income received by the council from its joint venture stakes… despite being exposed to some of the risks of the project”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ouncil-abu-dhabi-sheikh-mansour-b2128273.html

It's a veritable rabbit hole, if you're really interested. Suffice it to say, it's all absolutely rotten.

Yakuza_devils

How much should Alvarez have cost? Enzo, his teammate at River, went to Benfica for a similar fee. For every Alvarez, there are a few Kayky's that get forgotten. The real competitive advantage is that City have the resources to make those punts without it affecting them much whereas other teams have to be more judicious with the risks they take. If Brighton gets a bad batch of similarly-priced South American talent, it's much more difficult.
I know Alvarez have a release clause. But I still find it a bit dodgy that that's all City paid? Signing on bonuses and etc could cost much more? It's the same case with Haaland where no one knows the actual costs. It seems the total reported package to sign a player of Haaland calibre was a steal too. But I could be wrong. No idea about Enzo but I would thought that Alvarez is more well known talent as several big clubs was interested.

Take for example, Madrid usually pay big money for prospect from South America. The most recent I think is 16 years old Endrick for like 60M.

Melville Red

Just when are The PL going to actually get city to answer these charges? It has been dragging on gor three plus years any other club would have been punished by now or some or all the charges dismissed. Just WTF is going on?

croadyman

Just when are The PL going to actually get city to answer these charges? It has been dragging on gor three plus years any other club would have been punished by now or some or all the charges dismissed. Just WTF is going on?
I gave up hope on that happening when those cheating frauds got reinstated in Champions League

Yakuza_devils

I'm not even sure PL lawyers are a match to City's team of world best lawyers. It will be men against boys. City's owner has zero concern on these charges. He has came out to speak confidently and laughed at these charges.

I'm no law expert, but I think they will try take the case over and beyond PL in other court if they were found guilty.

croadyman

I'm not even sure PL lawyers are a match to City's team of world best lawyers. It will be men against boys. City's owner has zero concern on these charges. He has came out to speak confidently and laughed at these charges.

I'm no law expert, but I think they will try take the case over and beyond PL in other court if they were found guilty.
Premier League has been ruined by them

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I’d imagine City’s and the PL’s will all be British KCs… no corner shop solicitors

MegadrivePerson

How much should Alvarez have cost? Enzo, his teammate at River, went to Benfica for a similar fee. For every Alvarez, there are a few Kayky's that get forgotten. The real competitive advantage is that City have the resources to make those punts without it affecting them much whereas other teams have to be more judicious with the risks they take. If Brighton gets a bad batch of similarly-priced South American talent, it's much more difficult.
It's not just on youth players either.

Remember when they signed Eliaquim Mangala and he flopped, they just immediately replace him because they don't worry about the financial consequences. It's a similar story with Benjamin Mendy, João Cancelo and Kalvin Phillips. There's no jeopardy with their signings. It doesn't matter if they flop, get a bad injury, or do something in their personal life, City's years and years of cheating means that they just dump players and replace them.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Imagine being a Girona fan, witnessing the biggest (?) success in the clubs history and knowing it’s all tainted and you won’t even get to play champions league. Modern football is shit.

erikcred

Leipzig and Salzburg dealt with this a few years ago... This year, Milan & Toulouse did it. It's not really an issue anymore.
Easy. City owner Sheikh Mansour transfers his interests in Girona to his twin brother Sheikh Dansour. You can only tell them apart by the fact that one of them has a beard.

Yakuza_devils

Easy. City owner Sheikh Mansour transfers his interests in Girona to his twin brother Sheikh Dansour. You can only tell them apart by the fact that one of them has a beard.
Brilliant idea. Good solution. Move on, nothing to see here.

marktan

Leipzig and Salzburg dealt with this a few years ago... This year, Milan & Toulouse did it. It's not really an issue anymore.
Yeah Brighton and Union SG had the same this season or last. Bloom still owns both but he just transferred a share of his ownership of Union SG to the guy he appointed to run Union SG. Clearly just a front for Bloom owning both. Same thing will happen for all these multi club ownership types.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
No wonder this is the longest time Pep stay in a club. Remains loyal and speak positively about City's owners all the time.
There aren't too many managers who speak otherwise about their club owners, at least publicly, they wouldn't still be the manager if they openly criticized them

Yakuza_devils

There aren't too many managers who speak otherwise about their club owners, at least publicly, they wouldn't still be the manager if they openly criticized them
No need to criticise and no need to be full of praise. Just be neutral is good enough.

decorativeed

tomaldinho1

Excellent article every time it's brought up, but the fact Howard Bernstein was heading Manchester City Council at the same time as being one of the presidents of Manchester City was always a huge conflict of interest. Nothing more than corruption, selling the city's land for peanuts to his own football club.
Isn't it worse than that? He was on the council and after they got the land for cheap he coincidentally was rewarded with a senior role at CFG.

decorativeed

Isn't it worse than that? He was on the council and after they got the land for cheap he coincidentally was rewarded with a senior role at CFG.
Well yes - that too! Although I think the fact he was allowed to make decisions in favour of City while being the chief of the council should have come under far greater scrutiny at the time.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Well yes - that too! Although I think the fact he was allowed to make decisions in favour of City while being the chief of the council should have come under far greater scrutiny at the time.
Indeed it should have had closer scrutiny but the reality is that the land in question had been an industrial derelict wasteland for decades and anybody who wanted to buy it would probably have gotten it seriously cheaply whoever they were.

decorativeed

Indeed it should have had closer scrutiny but the reality is that the land in question had been an industrial derelict wasteland for decades and anybody who wanted to buy it would probably have gotten it seriously cheaply whoever they were.
Some of it was - contaminated from the old ink and chemical factories and definitely needed someone to invest in it. No complaints there. But some of it - land north of the stadium - wasn't like that at all.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
They should have been relegated for the non release of information back in what, 2019? If missing a drug tests sees you get an 8 month ban, non provision of financial records should be an assumption of guilt.

‘We haven’t cheated’
“Show us your records”
‘No’
“Ok. As you were”

That’s not even one of the charges.

Dirtiest club on the planet.

Zen86

Excellent article every time it's brought up, but the fact Howard Bernstein was heading Manchester City Council at the same time as being one of the presidents of Manchester City was always a huge conflict of interest. Nothing more than corruption, selling the city's land for peanuts to his own football club.
You would think Abu Dhabi have been doing it out of the goodness of their own hearts the way some people talk about it, rather than making massive profits from assets sold on the cheap.

tomaldinho1

They didn't put it out to tender, you can read the full report at Sheffield Uni website, it's hard to see how it was allowed because they list the prices of all the other land in the area bought at the same time by other investors (also mostly foreign) and it's like a third of the price. Then they added leasehold over 4x as long as usual AND then to add insult to injury, they don't pay any tax as everything is owned by a web of companies in jersey who are all ADUG companies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Excellent points. The Qatar thread said it all, really.
I don’t think the Qatar thread said much except “if you can’t beat them join them”. Personally If city get away with cheating, I’d happy accept Utd cheating to match. Obviously my preference would be nobody cheating, but the premier league don’t care.