City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

Marching On!

I wonder how this would have played out if the Premier League took a more hardened stance to begin with.

Still refusing to provide the Premier League with the information requested three years down the line? No problem, until you comply (and you’ve had fair opportunity) then you won’t be competing in the Premier League. We’d soon see how quickly they miraculously want to go to court where everything is then under a spotlight.

I can’t imagine there’s a single team in the league except City who wouldn’t approve it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Some of it was - contaminated from the old ink and chemical factories and definitely needed someone to invest in it. No complaints there. But some of it - land north of the stadium - wasn't like that at all.
Can't speak to the north, I can't remember what was there before TBH, I just know the whole area was just a wasteland for decades

Melville Red

They should have been relegated for the non release of information back in what, 2019? If missing a drug tests sees you get an 8 month ban, non provision of financial records should be an assumption of guilt.

‘We haven’t cheated’
“Show us your records”
‘No’
“Ok. As you were”

That’s not even one of the charges.

Dirtiest club on the planet.
Incredible isn’t it. That’s why their trophies and titles are so hollow.

Melville Red

I'm not even sure PL lawyers are a match to City's team of world best lawyers. It will be men against boys. City's owner has zero concern on these charges. He has came out to speak confidently and laughed at these charges.

I'm no law expert, but I think they will try take the case over and beyond PL in other court if they were found guilty.
Unfortunately I think you ar3 correct.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The EPL is a multi-billion pound business. I find it hard to believe they can't afford top-class lawyers.
Just tell the other 19 clubs that you’re cutting their money to afford the legal fees. The tide will turn pretty quickly.

RedRocket9908

I'm not even sure PL lawyers are a match to City's team of world best lawyers. It will be men against boys. City's owner has zero concern on these charges. He has came out to speak confidently and laughed at these charges.

I'm no law expert, but I think they will try take the case over and beyond PL in other court if they were found guilty.
The Premier League have apparently beaten City in court on more than occasion already.

Amity Survivor

TalkSPORT had a expert talking about what lawyers the PL are using in this case and he said they are the best of the best , so it’s not like City have the upper hand in that regard , as someone said before, the PL is a multi billion dollar company!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I don’t think the Qatar thread said much except “if you can’t beat them join them”. Personally If city get away with cheating, I’d happy accept Utd cheating to match. Obviously my preference would be nobody cheating, but the premier league don’t care.
Enjoy glory hunting. Football is lucky you chose to give it your attention.

croadyman

It's not just on youth players either.

Remember when they signed Eliaquim Mangala and he flopped, they just immediately replace him because they don't worry about the financial consequences. It's a similar story with Benjamin Mendy, João Cancelo and Kalvin Phillips. There's no jeopardy with their signings. It doesn't matter if they flop, get a bad injury, or do something in their personal life, City's years and years of cheating means that they just dump players and replace them.
Yeah and those years of cheating allow them to be the only club in this league with bench quality to match the starting XI. Their options against Spurs would be regulars for most teams in the league.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I take your broader point, but these seemingly monstrous sporting achievements didn't come without massive assistance from the refs. There've been quite a few games in which they've been bailed out some ridiculous refereeing decisions. With them winning the title by very close margins in 3 recent seasons (including this one), that's easily been the difference between them and Liverpool/Arsenal.
Now THIS is an excellent point: how much does a Micheal Oliver cost anyway?

croadyman

I wonder how this would have played out if the Premier League took a more hardened stance to begin with.

Still refusing to provide the Premier League with the information requested three years down the line? No problem, until you comply (and you’ve had fair opportunity) then you won’t be competing in the Premier League. We’d soon see how quickly they miraculously want to go to court where everything is then under a spotlight.

I can’t imagine there’s a single team in the league except City who wouldn’t approve it.
Premier League are cowards who haven't got the guts to demand City provide the information requested

Sgreddevil

Premier League are cowards who haven't got the guts to demand City provide the information requested
Yes. The premier league has a part to play too.
Those non compliances started years ago but no action or sanction has been taken. They just continue to let City get their way , win all the titles and spoiling the competition of the league. Depriving other teams that follow the rules the chance for more titles or europe spots which can have a great impact to some teams that can improve with better fundings from these competitions.
I just feel it has gone too far ahead and now they are scared to pull the plug entirely on City (not withstanding the possible political influence they may have through the investments in Uk from their state owners).
If Arsenal don't get the title this season, they must have felt hard done since they could have a double if not for City. Though I won't have sympathy for Arteta who was from City and played a part in the whole scheme. Probably what we call tasting your own medicine.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

NICanRed

Whether or not they are guilty will be decided in court and the punishment, if warranted, can be delivered at that time.
In the meantime I think the PL should not allow them to accrue any further points until the requested information is produced. I know it's a bit late for this season but I think the documents would come forward pretty quickly with this approach.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Listen to the fake attempts by Pep to contrive jeopardy and competition. Their owners, if cheating can be shown, should be permanently barred. The effects are already distorting the game. The vibe at Spurs/Abu Dhabi was reported to be surreal. United, Arsenal and Liverpool have all been denied titles that are rightfully theirs, if these charges stick.

OldSchoolManc

There HAS to be a backlash from fans and clubs if City aren’t dealt with.
You can’t just have one club allowed to play with completely different rules.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He’s spot on for once.

I don’t know how anyone can listen to those charges being read out and think ‘nah, that can’t be true’.
Agreed. Never thought i'd agree with Richard blood Keys, but finally someone from the media dares to speak about these charges instead of wanking themselves silly over this City all the time, like Sky.

EireRed_GS

Heard it mentioned once that the UAE have HUGE investments in the UK and have pressured the UK government to make this go away, or those investments will go elsewhere. Therefore the UK gov have been pressuring the PL/FA to let it go. All allegedly of course :nervous:

Wouldnt be surprised if they got off with a slap on the wrists. (if its true theres 'powers that be' looking after them)

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
How come this takes so long without any consequences. Looks like the PL would rather keep this under the table but it is hurting the whole league. No idea why other clubs dont put more pressure on them.
So we have City lifting the trophy on the weekend, while cheating for so many years. This is a joke and the PL should be ashamed

crossy1686

career ending
Heard it mentioned once that the UAE have HUGE investments in the UK and have pressured the UK government to make this go away, or those investments will go elsewhere. Therefore the UK gov have been pressuring the PL/FA to let it go. All allegedly of course :nervous:

Wouldnt be surprised if they got off with a slap on the wrists. (if its true theres 'powers that be' looking after them)
Why would the UAE set fire to all it's investments in the UK just because City have been charged? Something like 30%+ of the money coming in from foreign investments is UEA/Qatar. That would make zero business sense.

bstb3

Yeah, it is certainly true there is a a lot of UAE money in the UK. I'd not be surprised on bit if that isn't playing a large part here. That is why it's really important that if (when) the PL drop the ball on this there is a huge fan and club led outcry against it. It needs politicians, the PL and anyone else involved forced into discussing it in the open and outside of the smoke filled backrooms where the money likely having an influence.

The European Super League was dumped largely due to the massive outrage at grass roots level. State ownership, and City, may well need the same treatment. The only worry I have is that there isn't strong enough feeling about it & that the PL and UAE are quite possibly negotiating a 'fair' but meaningless punishment that will allow them to say "see we did something" to try and placate those not that heavily involved and quash the rest.

EireRed_GS

Why would the UAE set fire to all it's investments in the UK just because City have been charged? Something like 30%+ of the money coming in from foreign investments is UEA/Qatar. That would make zero business sense.
No way they would get rid of all the investments. Highly doubt that. Maybe a couple where it matters for upcoming projects etc. But they have so much money, removing a % of ones elsewhere, which could be a hit to the UK, would be pocket change to them.

But like i said, its just another story flying about, about the back story of it. Couldnt tell you if true or not

TalkSPORT had a expert talking about what lawyers the PL are using in this case and he said they are the best of the best , so it’s not like City have the upper hand in that regard , as someone said before, the PL is a multi billion dollar company!
That football finance expert (Stefan Borson) is unfortunately a lifelong City fan and formerly gave an old City regime financial advice.

His comments about City’s charges seem more emotive IMO than his comments about other clubs issues.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s amazing how little respect so many have for their success. Carragher stirring on Twitter earlier. I remember in 2001 the media gave it a little about how United were falling off in Europe, and so it was bad for English football that we pissed another league…then all the other stuff about how quiet OT was, all that “how do United fans care it’s so inevitable boring”. But that success was a phenomenal story.

There is some jealously of City as we hate that it’s not us cleaning up titles anymore, but it still leaves you so cold when you see the state of that club overall. Not sure how they care. Could’ve just have easily been Coventry City getting plucked from nowhere.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea

I am far from a City supporter but the PL has to operate within the laid down process and that process has to be in accord with English Law.
You say that city are still failing to provide information and that maybe be correct but have you assumed that to be the case or is it just your take on things?
As we know this is an extremely complicated case and having been involved with investigations and trying then to firstly identify the extent of your case and then deal with inevitable challenges at every stage I can tell you they can take an eternity.