City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

AfonsoAlves

Wasn’t sure where to put this and didn’t think it needed it’s own thread but overnight, went from 2000/1 down to 10/1 to get relegated. They are currently 25/1 to get relegated

Something is stirring
Doesn't mean anything on it's own.

Not many people are putting any reasonable amount of money on this outcome, so all it takes is for 1 person to make a "feck it" bet and lob 1k on it happening, it shifts the odds completely.

K Stand Knut

Doesn't mean anything on it's own.

Not many people are putting any reasonable amount of money on this outcome, so all it takes is for 1 person to make a "feck it" bet and lob 1k on it happening, it shifts the odds completely.
From 2000/1 to 25/1???

I am no expert but I seriously doubt that one person lumping on city to get relegated at 2000/1 makes that much difference

Bwuk

Probably bookies covering their arse.

People might be tempted to chuck 10,20 quid on at 2000/1 due to the charges.

K Stand Knut

Probably bookies covering their arse.

People might be tempted to chuck 10,20 quid on at 2000/1 due to the charges.
Again, doesn’t seem right.

They had the charged months ago. This is an overnight thing that hasn’t changed back.

Just feels like some people know something.

Time will tell

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Id be fine with them getting the Juventus treatment after calciopoli BUT end up struggling to get back to PL for eternity. No amount of trophies revoke can be as satisfying as never seeing Man City in PL ever again. Ideally both should happen.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If they do get relegaterelegated their titles should be stripped as well, all 8 of them.

Sgreddevil

If City really get massive point deductions, the PL needs to ensure any unutilised deductions continue to be applicable until every point is used and cap the deduction to Zero (not to allow negative points)
For example they get 150 points deductions from the charges. They earned 85 points in the season, they get deducted 85 points and relegated. In the event they managed to climb back to PL, the next season they will be deducted the remaining 65 points.
Otherwise there is no real impact to them, they can take a break for a season in Championship and come back to spoil the PL again. The punishment is not justifiable for the decade of alleged fradulent reporting and gaming of the system.
Of course the best easiest straightforward way is issue an outright ban from PL for a no of years (eg. 5 years). They are only allowed back when they have submitted sufficient audited evidence to prove that they are compliant of the current ffp rules.

Sgreddevil

Haha, saw that coming. 115 charges…
That is why I have always been against clubs being owned by stated-owned institutions. I have no idea how that was even approved in the first place. Couldnt they have expect there will be some form of foreign political influence and intervention at some point of time?
Apart from the potential political influence, there is no club that can possibly compete with the resources of a state. They are just allowing the game to be ruined. However, I'm not sure how they can reverse that now since they already allowed City and Newcastle to do so. If no concrete punishments are given to City, we can foresee more clubs in the PL will be owned by other States, it will be a mini World Cup for those States that can't produce their own national team to compete in the World Cup and international stage.

AfonsoAlves

From 2000/1 to 25/1???

I am no expert but I seriously doubt that one person lumping on city to get relegated at 2000/1 makes that much difference
If one bet superceeds all the volumetric liquidity on a pool for the preceeding months, yes, 2000/1 > 25/1 is easily achievable.

AfonsoAlves

From 2000/1 to 25/1???

Let me give you a bit of context.

Remember when Leicester won the league? The odds were 5000/1. Do you know how many people placed a bet? 1 person. £50. The next day, this 1 person betting reduced the odds to 2000/1.

1 other person making a bet of £1000 would have reduced to odds to 100/1.

2 bets totally £1050 can reduce odds from 5000/1 to 100/1, yes.

Hughie77

This lot needs sorting in the summer before league starts.. I know what I'd do, because there guilty and they know it everyone does.

I'd let them keep there hollow trophies.. but it dock them 35pts for 3 season 35pts each season, plus I'd give them same transfer ban 3 years....

This won't happen but that's what I'd do.

K Stand Knut

If one bet superceeds all the volumetric liquidity on a pool for the preceeding months, yes, 2000/1 > 25/1 is easily achievable.
Let me give you a bit of context.

Remember when Leicester won the league? The odds were 5000/1. Do you know how many people placed a bet? 1 person. £50. The next day, this 1 person betting reduced the odds to 2000/1.

1 other person making a bet of £1000 would have reduced to odds to 100/1.

2 bets totally £1050 can reduce odds from 5000/1 to 100/1, yes.
Fair enough. Clearly it is possible then

whitbyviking

The angle around the British government making the charges go away seems unlikely given the context of them currently raising a motion in parliament to introduce an independent regulator to oversee the financial issues of the premier league, with a view to introducing greater stability. If the government genuinely try to influence the charges to allow city to escape then surely the regulator is a dead duck before they start.

The government never ceases in its ability to surprise but them supporting city and trying to make the charges go away seems highly unlikely given they have been trying to get regulatory oversight on the premier league for years

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
This lot needs sorting in the summer before league starts.. I know what I'd do, because there guilty and they know it everyone does.

I'd let them keep there hollow trophies.. but it dock them 35pts for 3 season 35pts each season, plus I'd give them same transfer ban 3 years....

That would be a rubbish sanction and have almost 0 effects on them.
They should be docked between 100 and 150 points and instantly relegated. That way no matter the season they do, they're again relegated and mathematically unable to get promoted back the next year. They would also be under completely differents rules regarding their spending and all their sponsors values would be null and void. You can't sponsor a Championship or League 2 team for hundreds of millions.4 years + out of the PL would mean every player would want out or misteriously ask for a loan to Girona.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
That would be comical to suddenly see a mass transfer to Girona and they win La Liga next season. Can imagine Barca and Real would push their league to take action as well. They can then move those players to Palermo, then to wherever.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The Premier League will punish City. It may or may not satisfy the other clubs and their fans.
But the real culprits are the owners. I have little faith in the FA punishing them. This time they will not be so amateurish in how they doctor the financials.
There are ways to bump up the revenue. Much harder to fix the costs. Playing with payroll expenses is stupid.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It really is. If people can’t see what wrong with the Pl after that, there is no hope for them.

All that emotion and two young lads having the greatest moment of their careers up until now. We lose so, so much with City in the league. So many great moments have been lost and I am so happy that my team managed to wrestle one back yesterday.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Found myself supporting Man United despite it knocking Chelsea into the conference league. Don't understand how anyone with any sense of morality could feel otherwise
I’ve supported Real in the cl against them. Still feel dirty because of that. But it’s the cards we’ve been dealt, I guess.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Only one thing truly punishes them, and that's to take away trophies. That says...all your cheating, it was all for nothing. The rest is pointless...even relegation; they are back the next year. Take away this 4 year run of theirs.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Also think because of expected timeline to some kind of decision here, that relegation looks to me fairly difficult to implement. Season will be in the first half, and you are going to relegate them outright? Doesnt sound very practical. A massive point deduction that condemns them in effect could be good as it messes them up for two years.

Yakuza_devils

The question we should be asking UEFA and PL is if they really believe that City's revenues have surpassed even RM, Barca, BM and Man Utd. If not, is there anything they can do about it?

RoyH1

The question we should be asking UEFA and PL is if they really believe that City's revenues have surpassed even RM, Barca, BM and Man Utd. If not, is there anything they can do about it?
Specially back in the day when it was still too soon for plastic followers to support them. It was mind boggling some of the financing they had and it's what they're succes is built upon. Their "sponsorship" deal with Etihad for their stadium in 2011 was over twice as much as the existing record for naming rights (JP Morgan Chase for Madison Square Garden in New York).

quadrant

To be fair, they did the treble last season, that's the almost the maximum possible income you can achieve from competition winnings in club football. Any team doing that would be close to, if not the, richest team from that alone. The real issue is when they were claiming commercial income from 5 or 6 yrs ago that were comparable to Real and United.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
To be fair, they did the treble last season, that's the almost the maximum possible income you can achieve from competition winnings in club football. Any team doing that would be close to, if not the, richest team from that alone. The real issue is when they were claiming commercial income from 5 or 6 yrs ago that were comparable to Real and United.
That is not how football income works though.

GazTheLegend

Out of interest, how much investment have the Emiratis put into Manchester? I've heard this as another reason why some in power won't say anything but not sure if this is actually true or if it is, whether we're talking about one block of luxury apartments or widespread investment across the city?
I'm curious about this myself did you find any answers here or elsewhere? There were pictures of Jim Ratcliffe next to Sir Keir Starmer which make me wonder if there are similar promises being made in the South now.

Edit: nevermind i read some. Basically Mansour got a lot of private land in greater Manchester and very little if anything has been used to actually help the public in any way.

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
So, UK General Election called for 4 July. Labour are currently well ahead in the opinion polls. A change of government could see a change in attitude from the new government with regard to pursuing the 115 charges against city. Keir Starmer is an Arsenal fan, so could that factor override not wanting to upset the UAE government?
It could override not wanting to piss off hordes of other fans….

tomaldinho1

Not sure - even with that you have to factor in the prize money being very very good for most teams who get the knock outs in the CL and so well in the PL. There’s very little difference between us finishing 8th and them winning it for example. What it would be more valuable for is renegotiating sponsor values but then that doesn’t really apply to them!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Out of interest, how much investment have the Emiratis put into Manchester? I've heard this as another reason why some in power won't say anything but not sure if this is actually true or if it is, whether we're talking about one block of luxury apartments or widespread investment across the city?
There was an article last year about how little investment they have actually put into Manchester themselves and how the Etihad and surrounding area has been developed predominantly through council and government schemes. The exact schemes the media were up in arms about Ratcliffe using to develop the area around Old Trafford.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Found myself supporting Man United despite it knocking Chelsea into the conference league. Don't understand how anyone with any sense of morality could feel otherwise
I've been supporting Arsenal. And I bloody hate Arsenal.

Tincanalley

The word is a four week process next spring.

Tincanalley

The angle around the British government making the charges go away seems unlikely given the context of them currently raising a motion in parliament to introduce an independent regulator to oversee the financial issues of the premier league, with a view to introducing greater stability. If the government genuinely try to influence the charges to allow city to escape then surely the regulator is a dead duck before they start.

The government never ceases in its ability to surprise but them supporting city and trying to make the charges go away seems highly unlikely given they have been trying to get regulatory oversight on the premier league for years
It will be in the context of a new Labour gov. No way will they want the whiff of corruption around football …. Key constituencies there.

Leão

Supports
Sporting Clube Farense
City deseve the Juventus punishment. All the Premier Leagues stripped, relegated and begin next season with points deduction to get relageted again.

Make a example of them!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They’re taking money out the city!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Specially back in the day when it was still too soon for plastic followers to support them. It was mind boggling some of the financing they had and it's what they're succes is built upon. Their "sponsorship" deal with Etihad for their stadium in 2011 was over twice as much as the existing record for naming rights (JP Morgan Chase for Madison Square Garden in New York).
feck off. etihad airways had to move quickly and pay what it took to get the deal done, the abu dhabi national oil company were sniffing around and were “prepared to do whatever it took” to get a deal over the line. in that scenario, you just have to pull the trigger and pay over the odds.

BarstoolProphet

There was an article last year about how little investment they have actually put into Manchester themselves and how the Etihad and surrounding area has been developed predominantly through council and government schemes. The exact schemes the media were up in arms about Ratcliffe using to develop the area around Old Trafford.
Yep. Typical rich businessman/state entities taking advantage of local decision makers to get favourable deals with the lure of massive future investments, with the short to medium-term results being unfavourable for the communities the decision makers represents.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I've been supporting Arsenal. And I bloody hate Arsenal.
I don't 'hate' Arsenal, I don't 'hate' any other club, hate is such a nasty word I believe.
Apart from United and The Cobblers I don't follow any other clubs, but I have a dislike for any club that tries to win things by underhand means, which includes players who fall over trying to win penalties.