City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

RoyH1

https://x.com/ConroyUtd/status/1793756887080706146

What do you guys make of this? I haven’t seen any credible sources that Michael Oliver was paid £20k to ref one match, but in regard to the rest of it it definitely is a conflict of interest at best.
The conflict of interest is definitely there and that's precise the problem with state ownership and the reason I'm dead against it. It just looks so dodgy.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
https://x.com/ConroyUtd/status/1793756887080706146

What do you guys make of this? I haven’t seen any credible sources that Michael Oliver was paid £20k to ref one match, but in regard to the rest of it it definitely is a conflict of interest at best.
I thought it was claimed to be around £3k, roughly 2x what he makes in UK. With the added bonus of business class seats + great hotel.

Hughie77

That would be a rubbish sanction and have almost 0 effects on them.
They should be docked between 100 and 150 points and instantly relegated. That way no matter the season they do, they're again relegated and mathematically unable to get promoted back the next year. They would also be under completely differents rules regarding their spending and all their sponsors values would be null and void. You can't sponsor a Championship or League 2 team for hundreds of millions.4 years + out of the PL would mean every player would want out or misteriously ask for a loan to Girona.
You go for it.. I'd be happy with that..outcome

RedRocket9908

I thought it was claimed to be around £3k, roughly 2x what he makes in UK. With the added bonus of business class seats + great hotel.
It was reported by the Dailly Mail that he was paid £3000 to ref a match involving Ronaldo's team, this clip seems to be referring to the ADNOC Pro League match in Dubai on 28th September 2023 though

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I read the thread because I'm currently bored and I'm a chronic procrastinator. The OP did a great job laying out the details (which will be the PL's case plus a few things maybe)

IF the PL can prove the contents of the original thread then yes, City are fecked and the only question is how severe their punishment will be (don't think owners can be forced to sell but expulsion from the league is not improbable)

His argument rests on 3 pillars IMO:

1. UEFA were careless with their case; the PL is not
2. CAS made mistakes in their judgement
3. There is more evidence out there against City beyond what has been seen publicly, that Der Spiegel got from the leaks

Firstly, it's premature to put carelessness beyond the PL. Not even considering external pressures (independent regulator concerns, lobbying from other clubs), what the PL is trying to prove (that City cooked the books) vs their powers and capabilities as a private body with zero subpoena powers has always come across as a big mismatch. From what we have seen with Everton and Forest and other affairs, the PL doesn't have the reputation of an organization that can close this case against an independent panel, so absolute confidence in them is premature

Regarding CAS messing up the judgement: this doesn't follow. Their judgement is that some stuff was time barred (no judgement on those) and for the stuff that wasn't time barred, there was not evidence to support UEFA's claims. That is a ruling that can't be disproven by claims CAS didn't do their job properly, or that City had a hand in selecting some of the judges. You'll need additional evidence above and beyond what UEFA provided to CAS.

Lastly, is it probable that Der Spiegel/the hacker withheld hard evidence that would have served as insurmountable evidence of City's guilt (what was submitted and wasn't time barred wasn't for CAS) to preserve for the PL? I'm skeptical. I'm also skeptical that in the face of dead to rights evidence, City's counsel would not strongly advise City to settle quickly instead of going down a path where if (most surely) found guilty, they would be slammed down the pyramid. "Waiting for the UK Government to intervene and end the case prematurely" doesn't work; that undermines public trust in the club and the PL, and has secondary effects. They're in so deep that their only hope is in the charges being publicly dismissed by the KCs (putting their reputations on the line) on the independent panel.

City's rise to where they are today couldn't have happened without external cash (inorganic if you will). Proving that before an independent panel, where what you submit will be challenged by said panel and City's (competent yet non-magician) lawyers... Regardless of what that thread says, the PL are fighting uphill on this one. It's like when you hear the prosecution's opening statement and you think, "of course they're guilty". But then cross-examination happens and then the defense rips the prosecution's case apart. Or not. Time will tell.

RoyH1

I'm erect :wenger:
He's way too optimistic. City has better lawyers than anyone and the PL doesn't have the financial muscle and political will to go through with his scenario of forced sale or expulsion from the league system.
It will end with a fine, a slap on the wrist and a private promise that they will behave from now on.

RedStarUnited

Im looking at their parade then I look at their commercial numbers and simply dont believe it.

Of the clubs that make €300m + Commercially this is how they stack up…

B Munich - €419m
Barcelona - €412m
Real Madrid - €402m
PSG - €400m
Man City - €399m
Man Utd - €355m

Source:https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pag.../articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

Im sorry but I do not believe PSG and Man City are able to attract nearly as much sponsorship etc as the 3 clubs above them. PSG especially now that Messi/Neymay/Mbappe are gone should see their commercial number drop way down.

adexkola

Supports
Im looking at their parade then I look at their commercial numbers and simply dont believe it.

B Munich - €419m
Barcelona - €412m
Real Madrid - €402m
PSG - €400m
Man City - €399m
Man Utd - €355m

Source:https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pag.../articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

Im sorry but I do not believe PSG and Man City are able to attract nearly as much sponsorship etc as the 3 clubs above them. PSG especially now that Messi/Neymay/Mbappe are gone should see their commercial number drop way down.
Why would commercial revenue not rely on on-the-field success? If your club is constantly on the TV going far in competitions, winning trophies, having world class and well-known players in the squad, it stands to reason that companies would look to partner with and pay such clubs for exposure. And those factors would be more pertinent than historical success, otherwise why is AC Milan and Ajax not on this list?

Edit: this did not apply in 2010 of course. Speaking about today.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout

B Munich - €419m
Barcelona - €412m
Real Madrid - €402m
PSG - €400m
Man City - €399m
Man Utd - €355m

All those people that were pro-Glazer because they knew how to get us more sponsorship than anyone else, where have they gone? Forget the oil clubs, I'm just looking at the top 3, we're way behind.

adexkola

Supports
All those people that were pro-Glazer because they knew how to get us more sponsorship than anyone else, where have they gone? Forget the oil clubs, I'm just looking at the top 3, we're way behind.
Maybe lack of success is starting to overrule our large fan base and parade sizes?

Nah. Must be something else.

Yakuza_devils

B Munich - €419m
Barcelona - €412m
Real Madrid - €402m
PSG - €400m
Man City - €399m
Man Utd - €355m

Their Asia illegal betting partner was bidding against Etihad trying to be the main sponsor.

RedStarUnited

Why would commercial revenue not rely on on-the-field success? If your club is constantly on the TV going far in competitions, winning trophies, having world class and well-known players in the squad, it stands to reason that companies would look to partner with and pay such clubs for exposure. And those factors would be more pertinent than historical success, otherwise why is AC Milan and Ajax not on this list?

Im not saying it shouldnt rely on field success I just question how much it does. Real Madrid have been as successful if not more than Man City of recent times and have baked in support world wide. Yet they are just about beating City to the money.

My uneducated mind tells me that having Messi, Neymar and Mbappe is very valuable and I can probably justify PSGs numbers just by looking at those three. Man City have at most Haaland who is in the same category as those 3 when it comes to popularity. So either they are negotiating the most incredible deals or PSG were doing bad deals.

Baneofthegame

Surely we would be much further down if that was the case, our on field performance has been dreadful for over a decade, yet we are still right up there.

croadyman

Only one thing truly punishes them, and that's to take away trophies. That says...all your cheating, it was all for nothing. The rest is pointless...even relegation; they are back the next year. Take away this 4 year run of theirs.
Yeah absolutely but sadly can't see them ever getting the Lance Armstrong treatment. Would also love to see how pundits lost their tongues over this tainted City era.

Handsome Devil

Yeah absolutely but sadly can't see them ever getting the Lance Armstrong treatment. Would also love to see how pundits lost their tongues over this tainted City era.
Other teams in the Premiership are very quiet as well. You would think the owners of the other teams in the league, apart from some obvious exceptions, would be up in arms over this, unless there are rumblings in the background.

croadyman

Other teams in the Premiership are very quiet as well. You would think the owners of the other teams in the league, apart from some obvious exceptions, would be up in arms over this, unless there are rumblings in the background.
Yeah or an acceptance City lawyers are too powerful

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
Did Southampton just activate a 20 million clause on one of City's complete unknown players?
How the feck do they do this? Another sham to "balance" the books?

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Im not saying it shouldnt rely on field success I just question how much it does. Real Madrid have been as successful if not more than Man City of recent times and have baked in support world wide. Yet they are just about beating City to the money.

My uneducated mind tells me that having Messi, Neymar and Mbappe is very valuable and I can probably justify PSGs numbers just by looking at those three. Man City have at most Haaland who is in the same category as those 3 when it comes to popularity. So either they are negotiating the most incredible deals or PSG were doing bad deals.
Going by those figures Real did beat City to the money, not just about do it.

b20times

Quality control
Not being funny but we sound and look like bitter little children who have had their toy taken from them.
Is that all we can level at Citeh? You know, the club we used to laugh at for decades!
We sound like berties, you know their miserable and bitter fans we used to love winding up in the 90s and 00s, they'd come back at us with you bought the league and you bought this. Well, that's what I encountered whenever I had the misfortune of meeting one of the softarses.
We just need to take our medicine and stop looking like petulant children.

Shark

@NotShark
Not being funny but we sound and look like bitter little children who have had their toy taken from them.
Is that all we can level at Citeh? You know, the club we used to laugh at for decades!
We sound like berties, you know their miserable and bitter fans we used to love winding up in the 90s and 00s, they'd come back at us with you bought the league and you bought this. Well, that's what I encountered whenever I had the misfortune of meeting one of the softarses.
That was pure conspiracy. Fergie was buying refs, Fergie time etc.

This is reality. 115 charges worth of reality. It's not comparable at all.

C'est Moi Cantona

They've been accused of breaking the rules 115 times, and are now purely a vessal for sportswashing, what are you talking about.

tomaldinho1

CL versus Europa money will be the big difference there.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What? That they are the biggest cheats sport has seen outside of government sponsored doping in gymnastics?

It seems to evade many that it's not their success that bothers the majority, it's that they have, and are, cheating.

Don't sign up to the rules in place and do everything in your vast power to then break those rules and hide your wrongdoing, and there is no outcry and uproar.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Did Southampton just activate a 20 million clause on one of City's complete unknown players?
How the feck do they do this? Another sham to "balance" the books?
Southampton have given City close to £50 in under two years for their reserve players.

Bazanu - £15m
Charles - £10.5m-£15m
Harwood-Bells - £20m

That's without loans fees.

Something is definitely fishy here, they got Burney to pay £20m for Trafford last year.

Meanwhile, we let Alvaro Fernandez go to Benfica for €6m.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Southampton have given City close to £50 in under two years for their reserve players.

Bazanu - £15m
Charles - £10.5m-£15m
Harwood-Bells - £20m

That's without loans fees.

Something is definitely fishy here, they got Burney to pay £20m for Trafford last year.

Meanwhile, we let Alvaro Fernandez go to Benfica for €6m.
Anyone in Saints' staff that has links to City's?

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
I get what you’re saying, and think there’s an element of truth here.

But they juiced the system and broke the rules to do so.

Looking at what they’re doing now (not that illegal from a position of strength) obfuscates what they did initially, and sounds like a conspiracy / paranoia.

This aligns with their delaying strategy., the longer it drags out the further the juicing fades in the rear-view mirror.

That initial jack from council stadium squatters to world powerhouse is bent as feck, if it’s against the rules they deserve both barrels.
If not, fair play. Good luck to them and their fans.

klayton88

Do we believe things are actually happening in the background here? Everytime we get news it goes silent for months again.