City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

lex talionis

The FA should issue immediately issue and apology to City for its arrogance in even hinting, let alone formally investigating, that City senior management have done anything that would be considered less than fully above board.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So what did the letter actually demand he stop doing?
I think he was making some sort of link between 115 charges being brought on City and them potentially not doing things entirely legally.

A bit of a stretch if you ask me.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think what you're saying is true but here is the thing that i think Premier League fans at least should be aware of: If City had been punished years ago with a massive points deduction or even expulsion from the league, your club would move up the table by one in any of those previous seasons. Now one place doesn't sound much if you're a midtable side like Fulham this season for example, but to relegation-threatened teams or European chasing teams that's a huge amount of revenue and prestige that you might miss out because the league has no urgency/ethics in punishing a team that have flagrantly cheated for years on end and have not on one single occasion fallen out of the top 4 since they first 'achieved' that. It's a bit weird to me that other fans don't have more of a discussion about it.

To use some examples, you have Leicester City (who admittedly have had some dodgy financial issues themselves btw) narrowly miss out on top 4 by the tightest of margins in two seasons and you have Spurs who probably will end up in 5th place but would be a champions league team if City had had their points deduction this season. City and their ridiculous financial doping have effectively 'locked in' one of those champions league/European places at the expense of the other 19 other teams in the league. To me that surely should be something to be angry about?
You're not wrong, if you snipe City then everyone moves one space up. The issue is that the benefits of that one bump up are marginal to all but maybe 3 teams (the one who now wins the PL, the one who now gets into the CL, and the one who avoids relegation). Let's throw in 1-2 additional teams who are now genuine title challengers. For the others there's little benefit, and little to hate City for.

stevoc

I think he was making some sort of link between 115 charges being brought on City and them potentially not doing things entirely legally.

A bit of a stretch if you ask me.
Cheers, fair enough.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
Their hearing date has to be in the summer, probably only a couple of months to see how this is all resolved now...
It's a massive failure of all stakeholders in English football that it won't be resolved this season and points deduction applied this season

Nogbadthebad

If they break on rules this last year, this year or going forward theyll be immediately punished for that, right?
that's the thing, the 115 charges only take us as far as 2018 or so I think, can't remember the exact date.

There is a still another close to a decade of them doing god knows what after all this.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What are they being asked to "cease and desist"? Simply mentioning the charges or actually flat out saying they are guilty?
Goldbridge has been assuming guilt and speaking the same as the average Caf poster. Often saying things like cheats etc.. Most journalists have the ability to use tact but well Goldbridge is an idiot so of course he's spouting down the pub nonsense.

Word among City fans and I dunno how true it is, is that sentiment in the club is if City are found not guilty of these charges, which the club (not I, don't come at me) are confident of, quite a few journalists are in for far an unpleasant surprise. There is as many as 10 from 5 or so publication listed to be sued for libel.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I find it weird that more fans outside of United and Liverpool don't really care in my experience which is crazy. Surely every fan should be angry about this and want to see proper action but instead for years it's just been a bit of banter. There just doesn't seem to be the appetite for calling it out among football fans as a whole.
Because they've never completed or are anywhere close to competing.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Goldbridge has been assuming guilt and speaking the same as the average Caf poster. Often saying things like cheats etc.. Most journalists have the ability to use tact but well Goldbridge is an idiot so of course he's spouting down the pub nonsense.

Word among City fans and I dunno how true it is, is that sentiment in the club is if City are found not guilty of these charges, which the club (not I, don't come at me) are confident of, quite a few journalists are in for far an unpleasant surprise. There is as many as 10 from 5 or so publication listed to be sued for libel.
"Mark Goldbridge" is a fictional character played by someone.

Of course Brent Di Cesare (the guy who plays Goldbridge) can still get done for libel but he shouldn't be held to the same standards as a journalist. It would be like Steve Coogan being taken to court by the farmers of Norwich for the shit Alan Partridge said.

Drainy

What are they being asked to "cease and desist"? Simply mentioning the charges or actually flat out saying they are guilty?
They are threatening a SLAPP. It's obviously a public interest topic that we're all entitled to engage in discussion over. City, as many pricks who have too much money do, think they can abuse the legal process to chill people's freedom of expression.

Anyone who gets one of the letters should go to the law society website and find the solicitor roll number of the person sending the letter and report them for abuse of process and let them explain to their regulator if they have a claim

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

I think you should strongly share your club's opinion. Quite a few of us on here do.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Honestly at this point, just announce they have been found not guilty and get on with it. It's clear to everyone what the verdict is going to be.

padr81

Supports
Man City
"Mark Goldbridge" is a fictional character played by someone.

Of course Brent Di Cesare (the guy who plays Goldbridge) can still get done for libel but he shouldn't be held to the same standards as a journalist. It would be like Steve Coogan being taken to court by the farmers of Norwich for the shit Alan Partridge said.
The difference between Goldbridge and Coogan, is Goldbridge isn't trying to be a comedian, he's appearing on many football shows and has kinda put himself in that position. Nothing against his hustle, exploiting the biggest fanbase in the world whilst not even supporting their club is quite genius.

I don't know all the ins and outs but the general rule is if you're in a position with an audience like he is you should be careful what you say. To take a common political phrase "Freedom of speech, isn't freedom from consequences"
For what its worth I think he should be allowed say what he likes as should everyone but we don't live in that world anymore.

Drainy

The difference between Goldbridge and Coogan, is Goldbridge isn't trying to be a comedian, he's appearing on many football shows and has kinda put himself in that position. Nothing against his hustle, exploiting the biggest fanbase in the world whilst not even supporting their club is quite genius.

I don't know all the ins and outs but the general rule is if you're in a position with an audience like he is you should be careful what you say. To take a common political phrase "Freedom of speech, isn't freedom from consequences"
For what its worth I think he should be allowed say what he likes as should everyone but we don't live in that world anymore.
We don't live in a world where people can comment on things they read in Der Speigel without the threat of a life upending lawsuit by people with unlimited money? Why do you think that is?

duffer

Scout
Maybe not a comedian but he's trying to be entertaining. Obviously he's not as funny as Coogan but he's absolutely playing up to the camera, in character.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We don't live in a world where people can comment on things they read in Der Speigel without the threat of a life upending lawsuit by people with unlimited money? Why do you think that is?
People who approach things with tact can comment on what they like. Take Miguel Delaney who never stops going on about City, but he does it without shouting "cheats" or saying they're guilty. Because he uses his brain and gets his point across without overstepping.

Why do we live in a world like this, fecked if I know. Money, corruption, take your pick, but public figures have never been free to throw statements like Goldbridge makes around.

Drainy

People who approach things with tact can comment on what they like. Take Miguel Delaney who never stops going on about City, but he does it without shouting "cheats" or saying they're guilty. Because he uses his brain and gets his point across without overstepping.

Why do we live in a world like this, fecked if I know. Money, corruption, take your pick, but public figures have never been free to throw statements like Goldbridge makes around.
He's entitled to comment on the reporting from Der Speigel and the outcome of the UEFA investigation and the CAS ruling and the reporting of the 115 charges to form as strong an opinion as he likes.

Its unethical to threaten people with civil action over widely available information. An obvious SLAPP to chill free expression and the solicitors involved should be held accountable by their regulator.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Maybe not a comedian but he's trying to be entertaining. Obviously he's not as funny as Coogan but he's absolutely playing up to the camera, in character.
But he wouldn't play up to the camera by starting Partey, Mendy, Greenwood is an r word (simply because it opens himself up to libel. I hate to keep using that example but its the easiest and quickest to come to mind),
Its not hard, if you're in a prominent position don't state stuff that hasn't been proven. He'd be fine to say stuff like 115 charges FC or whatever, when its not fine is when you say "Manchester City are cheats" as opposed to "Manchester City are charged with cheating". Pedantic yes, but that's how it is. Carragher has literally joked about City live on air and because he was careful how he did it isn't open to the same issue.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's entitled to comment on the reporting from Der Speigel and the outcome of the UEFA investigation and the CAS ruling and the reporting of the 115 charges to form as strong an opinion as he likes.

Its unethical to threaten people with civil action over widely available information. An obvious SLAPP to chill free expression and the solicitors involved should be held accountable by their regulator.
You can't go around saying people are guilty of something that they haven't been proven guilty of, you don't have to like it but it is what it is. Should it be that way? no, but it is.
If I called OJ a murderer whilst he was alive on a huge public platform he wouldn't be long silencing me.
A more apt one is perhaps if I called Lance Armstrong a cheat before it was proven, he wouldn't be long silencing me either. Obviously after proven guilty that changes.
But whether people like it or not and regardless of how, City are guilty of exactly nothing so far. CAS overturned Uefa and the PL is just charges and until that changes stating they are on a public platform is incredibly stupid.

All of this is nothing to do with my own personal beliefs by the way, just the way it is.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He's got a wife and kids, that would be a surprise.

Be seriously, he said in a clip posted in this thread he'll show it on his podcast. The grift never ends.
The fact he said he's received a cease and desist surely opens him to a counter libel suit if he never received it.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You can't go around saying people are guilty of something that they haven't been proven guilty of, you don't have to like it but it is what it is. Should it be that way? no, but it is.
If I called OJ a murderer whilst he was alive on a huge public platform he wouldn't be long silencing me.
A more apt one is perhaps if I called Lance Armstrong a cheat before it was proven, he wouldn't be long silencing me either. Obviously after proven guilty that changes.
But whether people like it or not and regardless of how, City are guilty of exactly nothing so far. CAS overturned Uefa and the PL is just charges and until that changes stating they are on a public platform is incredibly stupid.

All of this is nothing to do with my own personal beliefs by the way, just the way it is.
I would call OJ Simpson guilty if I had seen incriminating documents though, in this analogy a photograph of him murdering his wife.

I don't need a court to tell me if I've seen evidence. Which we all have in City's case.

duffer

Scout
Also for what its worth City say they've sent him nothing. So could be some either deluded fan or someone winding him up.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/sou...ntact-with-youtube-channel-presenter-39450360
Is that website reliable? It's quoting an unknown source from Man City where you would think in something like a flat denial, nobody would need to hide their identity.

He's said he'll be reading it out today on his podcast. Why he would lie about this is a mystery.

The Irish Connection

Goldbridge is at his best when he goes off script on weird analogies. He can be funny.
But the channel has become very scripted, self-promotional and agenda driven in recent years.
Fair play to him for calling City out. The cease and desist letter is scary and typical of that club since the state took them over. Obviously this is the sort of legal intimidation that they do with the mainstream broadcasters too.

That stuff with Troyes and Girona and Savio is bananas. Not to mention that Savio will be challenging Grealish (100m) and Doku for the left wing.
They are a huge stain on the game.
It will be sad if they get away with it, and that’s very possible.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I would call OJ Simpson guilty if I had seen incriminating documents though, in this analogy a photograph of him murdering his wife.

I don't need a court to tell me if I've seen evidence. Which we all have in City's case.
Again you haven't, you've seen emails that are being used as evidence but nothing proven. I mean we have the Greenwood footage, go on a platform with hundreds of thousands of viewers, presume his guilt and call him what you think he is and see how it works out for you. What you think doesn't matter or have any implication on what you can or cannot say.

Why do you think Keane, Carragher etc... are all treading carefully, do you think they don't think City are guilt? Hardly. everyone and their mother thinks its very, very likely City are guilty but they won't put their foot in it till they are sure.

Drainy

CAS overturned based on time barring evidence, as you probably know. There was a statute of limitation on the offence so City got off on a technicality. People are entitled to their view about whether that means they cheated or not..

People cannot comment on criminal trials before the verdict as it can lead to influence on the jury, but of course people have an opinion on verdicts and the fairness of trials etc

padr81

Supports
Man City
Is that website reliable? It's quoting an unknown source from Man City where you would think in something like a flat denial, nobody would need to hide their identity.

He's said he'll be reading it out today on his podcast. Why he would lie about this is a mystery.

No idea will be interesting to see if any reputable places drop it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
CAS overturned based on time barring evidence, as you probably know. There was a statute of limitation on the offence so City got off on a technicality. People are entitled to their view about whether that means they cheated or not..

People cannot comment on criminal trials before the verdict as it can lead to influence on the jury, but of course people have an opinion on verdicts and the fairness of trials etc
That's a half truth. Some stuff was time barred, other stuff was just purely quashed by City including the famous Aabar letter. A lot of Uefa's claims were deemed "not established" as in they couldn't be proven (or disproven for that matter).

Again and I'll say it again because no one here seems to listen or start reaching based on the fact I support City. Do I think City are guilty? I do. Do I think if these cease and desist letters should be sent? No. Do those opinions matter in terms of how I see City, the PL approaching things no. Are City allowed to go after a public figure spouting unproven stuff? I don't like it but they are even if they shouldn't be.

It really is that simple, if someone isn't found guilty don't call them the criminal until they are.