City fans disgusting behaviour | Aeroplane and monkey gestures | Do not dox please

Lam

Not able to recollect any such incident at OT? What was the last such incident which happened? The Wenger chant?

I remember Fergie coming out and condemning it. It’s important for the Clubs, managers, and key players to come out and talk a lot about these things. To be honest, it’s just 1% idiots who cause so much embarrassment to institutions. They won’t understand why it’s wrong and That’s why it’s most important to keep them silenced and not propagate it further so that future generations will hear less of it.

LoneStar

The worst part was some to their players saw the whole thing and they started pointing at their wrist indicating time wasting. Pathetic stuff.

The highlight was Sterling, saw the whole thing point blank and didn't do anything. You could bet he would have made a big deal if him or his teammates were involved.

After seeing their antics this game, I'm convinced them winning 3 in a row is far worse than Liverpool winning the title.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
This thread is a bit of a shit show in all honesty. A section of our fans were an embarrassment last night. Mindless and idiotic. There was blue on blue all over the ground. If you can't take a defeat, then you're not welcome at my club.

However, to suggest Sterling "do something" about it at the time is just about as mindless. All of the players are faced with about 3000 fans in that corner. Fred and the other United players openly admitted to not seeing it and only being made aware of it after the game. Why would Sterling have seen it? It was a split section action by one complete and utter moron of a fan who has now wrecked his life and will find himself scratching around looking for somebody else to employ him. You had to zoom and pause it on TV to catch it and there would have been stewards blocking the players views.

Also, the City players roughing up McTominay? Probably because 4 of them had gone to the corner to tell the fans to stop only for him to come in and light the fire again. The same players had already apologised to Fred if you watch the incident back. Btw McTominay went over at the end of the game and gave it that corner which was great to see. Part of me genuinely wished United had scored at that point. The idiots we have deserved them celebrating in our faces.

And one more thing.....Please please please do not label aeroplane gestures and racism in the same bracket. Are the gestures offensive to United? Absolutely. But racism is on a whole different level and a massive issue in this country at the minute. Maybe there should be separate threads on the gestures and object throwing and another on the racist incident.

With regards to the throwing stuff, wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last. Don't have to look back that far to find incidents similar to this from every set of fans in this country. I'm not sure how and why that would be your first instinct to losing a football match but I guess I have more of a brain and can't relate to these halfwits..

Reactions: Ødegaard

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
The worst part was some to their players saw the whole thing and they started pointing at their wrist indicating time wasting. Pathetic stuff.

The highlight was Sterling, saw the whole thing point blank and didn't do anything. You could bet he would have made a big deal if him or his teammates were involved.

After seeing their antics this game, I'm convinced them winning 3 in a row is far worse than Liverpool winning the title.
Saw the whole thing? Your players closest to the incident admitted not seeing anything until getting back to the dressing room. This really is a terrible take on this

LoneStar

Saw the whole thing? Your players closest to the incident admitted not seeing anything until getting back to the dressing room. This really is a terrible take on this
Do you really think they couldnt hear Fred complaining about getting stuff thrown at him?? I get players who are farther, but Silva and Sterling were literally standing next to him. I'm not asking them to even do anything, but complaining about time wasting at that point is honestly terrible. Even if they don't hear the racist stuff, they could see the fecking bottles and lighters being thrown at him??

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Do you really think they couldnt hear Fred complaining about getting stuff thrown at him?? I get players who are farther, but Silva and Sterling were literally standing next to him. I'm not asking them to even do anything, but complaining about time wasting at that point is honestly terrible. Even if they don't hear the racist stuff, they could see the fecking bottles and lighters being thrown at him??
Can I ask why you are calling Sterling out on this in particular? One fan was racist and they wouldn't have seen that. The captain, Silva, and 3 others went to the corner to tell the fans to calm down and stop throwing stuff. So why are you calling Sterling out?

Fluctuation0161

Raheem could have made a statement tonight. He should have taken both teams off the field after the abuse. What a fantastic gesture that would have been. But "unfortunately" this time, it wasn't aimed at him. Credit to Riyad and David Silva though. They acted in a proper way.
Bollock's. You don't even know if he saw it. Im up for criticising City as much as anyone but this is ridiculous.

The singling out of Sterling for point scoring on this issue ironically stems from the same societal problems that caused that idiot to do a monkey chant.

Fluctuation0161

Genuinely embarrassed to be a City fan tonight. Shameful behaviour from the fans in that corner towards Fred. The only positive is the cretin’s identity is not in doubt so at least swift action will be taken. United deserved the win today, same old story for City this season. Leaky at the back, unable to create anything meaningful at the other end. Our season now hinges on the Champions League.
Fair play mate.

Fridge chutney

Some bloke on Bluemoon who attended the match. Clearly City have a big problem with behaviour, and it's shameful that there is overt racism too.

I have been on the sauce all day but managed to behave myself. Some absolute fecking knobstains follow the club these days. Lad next to me in 117 (not usually there according to my old fella), every fifth word out of his mouth was the German city beginning with M and I don't mean Monchengladbach.

Fridge chutney

More first hand accounts:

Some idiots chanting Munich chants walking back up to Piccadilly.
Shameful.
To which someone responded
Why are you surprised by that. I’m not trying to defend them, but It happens every derby game. People were openly singing the runway song in the pub I was in.
Why do City fans sing about Munich so much? Doesn't it seem abhorrent to do so?

UDontMessWith24

This thread is a bit of a shit show in all honesty. A section of our fans were an embarrassment last night. Mindless and idiotic. There was blue on blue all over the ground. If you can't take a defeat, then you're not welcome at my club.

However, to suggest Sterling "do something" about it at the time is just about as mindless. All of the players are faced with about 3000 fans in that corner. Fred and the other United players openly admitted to not seeing it and only being made aware of it after the game. Why would Sterling have seen it? It was a split section action by one complete and utter moron of a fan who has now wrecked his life and will find himself scratching around looking for somebody else to employ him. You had to zoom and pause it on TV to catch it and there would have been stewards blocking the players views.

Also, the City players roughing up McTominay? Probably because 4 of them had gone to the corner to tell the fans to stop only for him to come in and light the fire again. The same players had already apologised to Fred if you watch the incident back. Btw McTominay went over at the end of the game and gave it that corner which was great to see. Part of me genuinely wished United had scored at that point. The idiots we have deserved them celebrating in our faces.

And one more thing.....Please please please do not label aeroplane gestures and racism in the same bracket. Are the gestures offensive to United? Absolutely. But racism is on a whole different level and a massive issue in this country at the minute. Maybe there should be separate threads on the gestures and object throwing and another on the racist incident.

With regards to the throwing stuff, wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last. Don't have to look back that far to find incidents similar to this from every set of fans in this country. I'm not sure how and why that would be your first instinct to losing a football match but I guess I have more of a brain and can't relate to these halfwits..
Which country? Relatively rare in the PL actually.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Which country? Relatively rare in the PL actually.
Not as rare as it should be. Don't have to look back too far to see United incidents with Di Maria, City incidents with Ferdinand, Palace incidents v Leicester. Stain on this country and the game

tony54

At this stage, just one man appears to be acting like a monkey but there seems to be a few missiles being thrown and the perpetrators need to be found, tried and sentenced heavily.
We all can understand Cities frustrated angry attitude and to their credit it could have been worse. In the recent past all Manchester fans have been well behaved and I'm sure TPTB will make it known that thug like idiots will be treated accordingly.
Great match and team spirit from mu which gives hope going forward.
I see our self important Gary is now blaming Boris for the idiots behaviour last night. Gary do me and everyone a favour and engage brain before speaking.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can I ask why you are calling Sterling out on this in particular? One fan was racist and they wouldn't have seen that. The captain, Silva, and 3 others went to the corner to tell the fans to calm down and stop throwing stuff. So why are you calling Sterling out?
Sterling is seen as a player who took a stand against racism. Some people think he's ignored this (and the Bernardo Silva racist tweet) because it was one of his own doing it and it was not directed at him.

Personally, I think Sterling does not owe anyone anything and to use this as a stick to hit him with is classless and moronic.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The Munich stuff doesn’t upset me on a personal level, I get more offended by our own fans lowering themselves to chanting about Hillsborough TBH, but it’s a thoroughly immoral thing to do in front of Sir Bobby.

Classical Mechanic

Blue on blue? Fights kicking off you mean?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What gets me is the stewards standing directly in front of him not batting an eyelid.
In Germany you have a couple of dozen police in riot gear armed with pepper spray on standby in the stadiums and even they very, very rarely do more than contain the crowd. Now imagine being basically just two or three regular guys with a bright vest.

Classical Mechanic

In Germany you have a couple of dozen police in riot gear armed with pepper spray on standby in the stadiums and even they very, very rarely do more than contain the crowd. Now imagine being basically just two or three regular guys with a bright vest.
Sounds dystopian.

rotherham_red

The airplane gestures are nothing new. I was there for the 2-3 under Jose and as soon as they were losing that whole corner of the ground (the one which is under the spotlight today) almost came out in unison with the airplane gestures and Munich chants.

They're a bunch of cnuts, and can't handle it when we're in a winning position over them.

rotherham_red

What gets me is the stewards standing directly in front of him not batting an eyelid.
I was there when we beat them 2-3, never mind the stewards, the police did next to feck all when they were doing airplane gestures and Munich chants.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I was there when we beat them 2-3, never mind the stewards, the police did next to feck all when they were doing airplane gestures and Munich chants.
I'm pretty sure stewards only act if there's a danger of violence. I've certainly never seen a steward (at any ground I've been to over 30 years of going to matches) step in regarding offensive chants.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t think the police can do much about that can they, is it a criminal offence?

What I think needs to happen about more grey area chants like that is the clubs need to campaign in a visible way to stop them.

Silver

At this stage, just one man appears to be acting like a monkey but there seems to be a few missiles being thrown and the perpetrators need to be found, tried and sentenced heavily.
We all can understand Cities frustrated angry attitude and to their credit it could have been worse. In the recent past all Manchester fans have been well behaved and I'm sure TPTB will make it known that thug like idiots will be treated accordingly.
Great match and team spirit from mu which gives hope going forward.
I see our self important Gary is now blaming Boris for the idiots behaviour last night. Gary do me and everyone a favour and engage brain before speaking.
Well it's one man too many isn't it.

soralapio

Raheem could have made a statement tonight. He should have taken both teams off the field after the abuse. What a fantastic gesture that would have been. But "unfortunately" this time, it wasn't aimed at him. Credit to Riyad and David Silva though. They acted in a proper way.
I'm sorry but that's absolute dogshit. Singling out Sterling in this way has some very nasty and dark connotations and undertones, and honestly feels a bit like dog whistle racism. At best it feels like you think he owes it to the world (and to you) to prove his credibility or the authenticity of his cause ("campaigning against racist abuse after being subjected to racist abuse by people and the national press") which is just utterly fecking ludicrous. There is no gate, you're not the gatekeeper, and Sterling doesn't have to prove anything to you or anyone else. Honestly it's hard to avoid the feeling that there's a racial undertone to it as well. This uppity black man only speaks up about racism when it's directed at him but doesn't REALLY care about it or act "properly" (whatever the feck that even means) when it isn't, you know what they're like, crying about racism when it suits them, hem hem.

Racism comes in many guises, and not all of it is making monkey gestures at black players or calling black people the n-word. This line of thinking that black people have to prove themselves to be one of the good ones, or worthy, or equal, is also racist.

Fecking Sterling. What a hypocrite. Just stands there.
Yeah what a massive hypocrite, doesn't magically hear and detect all racism in a 500 meter radius around him, and immediately spring to action to personally stamp it out! How dare he then be upset when he's racially abused by people and journalists!

Just feck off with this shit.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Blue on blue? Fights kicking off you mean?
Sorry yeah. Breakouts of it all around the ground. I sit on the front row of the 2nd tier above that corner where the objects where thrown from and I saw about 10 separate incidents of it kicking off between City fans yesterday. Can't handle a 5:30 kick off and a defeat it seems. Poor

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Authoritarian, heavy handed and threatening.
Well yes and no. The German football experience is a lot less "sanitized" than the English one and the fans are a lot more organized. And while I wouldn't think for a second about trading that in it still has its downsides. Among the sub groups of ultras you have some proper twats, who know the strength of their numbers, be it that they try to storm through the entrance in order to get in without having a ticket or their security check or that they try to get to their counterparts from the other team to brawl, for those people you need police in numbers, because if it was just a couple of stewards they wouldn't think twice about seizing the opportunity, if they are right wingers they might even be training underground street fighting (it may sound funny, but it's a serious problem).

On the other hand unfortunately there is an escalated tension between organized fans and police in general, where police don't differentiate between organized/away fans as a whole and the sub groups of twats among them and despite the stadium experience in Germany probably being as safe as anywhere police lobbyist try to stoke fears about football violence to get bigger budgets. Recently they got the federal state of Bremen to shift the cost of policing football games from the public budget to the clubs (Werder Bremen). And since (organized) fans are no saints either they developed a pretty far left/anarchist stance towards the police, where they are the enemy and everything they do is evil, not to mention this juvenile obsession with burning flares.

So bottom line: those police are a necessary byproduct of the relative freedom and power Bundesliga affords its fans, but within that mandate police is acting authoritative and organized fans are happy to take up that conflict.

Here you see Cologne fans reacting badly to being relegated:

Here you see police thinking it's a good idea to try and seize a Hertha banner used to hide fans before doing their little pyro show (banner goes up above their heads, faces are masked, banner goes down, flares are lit) after the fact and Hertha fans thinking it's a good idea to fight back.

Last edited:

Dan_F

Didn’t we have a racist incident where a fan got thrown out of the Liverpool game recently? I don’t think there’s any point in trying to label City fans because of it. Fair play to Gary Neville for bring politics into because that is spot on, obviously no one in the Sky studio wanted to touch it after he’d said that.

Man City will ban the fan, but other than that what can they do. Screen all fans social media before they go in the ground? I guess there was a security guard right there but it was quite a short incident, if he was looking the other way he wouldn’t have seen it. You can never account for one person doing something like that, the bigger questions is why that person feels it’s acceptable to do that.

As for the missiles, again, not ideal but I’ve seen it happen at so many games. There’s no point acting like this is some kind of massive shock, football fans are idiots. I’ve been at games in Europe where players have had fireworks launched at them.

soralapio

Man City will ban the fan, but other than that what can they do. Screen all fans social media before they go in the ground? I guess there was a security guard right there but it was quite a short incident, if he was looking the other way he wouldn’t have seen it. You can never account for one person doing something like that, the bigger questions is why that person feels it’s acceptable to do that.
Yeah, as you correctly point out this is not City's (or football's) problem to solve alone. Racism is a societal issue and while things are getting better in general, racist attitudes have been getting more visible, and -- I'd like to say "popular" but I think saying "safe to display in public" would be more accurate -- recently, largely thanks to the rise of right wing politicians everywhere in the world. This doesn't mean the fight is hopeless, or shouldn't be fought. Ban people when they do racist things, give clubs meaningful penalties when large scale racism occurs (instead of fines, deduct points. Supporters in the stands don't give a feck if some anonymous millionaire is out £50 000 but will start to give a feck if their club loses points due to racists, which leads to my next point), and also do community policing. When you see racism, if you can, call it out, even if it's a United supporter. Nobody has to fight people in the streets, but for instance we've had plenty of questionable views and opinions expressed here, and it's important to call these out when they pop up. Let them know their views are not welcome.

Beyond that, outreach and education. I am very proud of United for taking a public stand to support charities and organizations like Stonewall, and for the "All Red, All Equal" campaign. It might not make existing bigots change their views, but maybe it will reach the next generation and teach them from a young age that everyone is equally important and valued. Maybe when someone sees a player they support and like come out and share stories of abuse they've suffered or to condemn racism, they will rethink their attitudes. Maybe not, but hopefully some will, and that's a step in the right direction.

Ultimately, give people the opportunity to change and to make amendments. When I was younger, I was a very angry young man (I was really angry and disappointed about my life, but since admitting that is very hard, I was focusing on easier targets) and got convinced by some very presentable and fancy-talking racists. Luckily I never abused anyone, but I did hold a lot of views I now find abhorrent and for me it took exposure to people who were a lot smarter than I was before I started questioning my views and opinions, and took a long and hard look at myself. Change can happen, even if it doesn't happen overnight, but if we slam the door on people, they will just drift further into more extreme groups and views.

Reactions: Sultan

Classical Mechanic

Well yes and no. The German football experience is a lot less "sanitized" than the English one and the fans are a lot more organized. And while I wouldn't think for a second about trading that in it still has its downsides. Among the sub groups of ultras you have some proper twats, who know the strength of their numbers, be it that they try to storm through the entrance in order to get in without having a ticket or their security check or that they try to get to their counterparts from the other team to brawl, for those people you need police in numbers, because if it was just a couple of stewards they wouldn't think twice about seizing the opportunity, if they are right wingers they might even be training underground street fighting (it may sound funny, but it's a serious problem).

On the other hand unfortunately there is an escalated tension between organized fans and police in general, where police don't differentiate between organized/away fans as a whole and the sub groups of twats among them and despite the stadium experience in Germany probably being as safe as anywhere police lobbyist try to stoke fears about football violence to get bigger budgets. Recently they got the federal state of Bremen to shift the cost of policing football games from the public budget to the clubs (Werder Bremen). And since (organized) fans are no saints either they developed a pretty far left/anarchist stance towards the police, where they are the enemy and everything they do is evil, not to mention this juvenile obsession with burning flares.

So bottom line: those police are a necessary byproduct of the relative freedom and power Bundesliga affords its fans, but within that mandate police is acting authoritative and organized fans are happy to take up that conflict.

Here you see Cologne fans reacting badly to being relegated:

Here you see police thinking it's a good idea to try and seize a Hertha banner used to hide fans before doing their little pyro show (banner goes up above their heads, faces are masked, banner goes down, flares are lit) after the fact and Hertha fans thinking it's a good idea to fight back.

It looks really dystopian in fairness!

I don’t know if English fans have their freedom restricted as you frame it. That ‘ultra‘ culture has just never existed here. English hooligans were just scumbags that wanted a drink and a fight. I guess it is more sanitised since they've been removed from prominence on the terraces because it’s become a much more family orientated event with a lot more women attending too. You don’t get that kind of dark but exciting atmosphere in the EPL.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I'd hope a very heavy fine and ideally forced to play game behind closed doors for the whole thing. Potentially injuring players with projectiles is something that should never been seen in this day and age. If there was racism involved as well, that makes it even worse.