City in for Lescott

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
British media outlet Sportsmail has reported that Manchester City have been encouraged to continue their pursuit of Joleon Lescott from Everton - and that the deal could well be over within the next 36 hours.

It is understood that, despite the deal being declared all but dead at the weekend, the Citizens were told to follow up their previous inquiries regarding the player, who is tipped to be sold at £20 million plus add-ons.

Mark Hughes has already spent in excess of £95m this year strengthening his squad, and the Welshman believes that Lescott is the perfect player to pair Kolo Toure in a left-foot, right-foot partnership at the centre of City's defence.

If Hughes is successful in signing Lescott, it is expected that the defender will feature in City's first Premier League game against Blackburn Rovers.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/...-will-sign-joleon-lescott-from-everton-within

Drifter

American
Everton reject Joleon Lescott's transfer request

Manchester City have suffered a major setback in their bid to sign Joleon Lescott after Everton manager David Moyes rejected a transfer request by the England defender.

Lescott, 27, submitted his request to leave earlier today (Tues), but Moyes has dismissed out of hand the prospect of selling the former Wolves defender.

City are understood to be ready to make a final offer of £22m for the player following Lescott's decision to go public on his desire to leave Goodison Park for Eastlands.
But Moyes insists that Lescott, currently in Holland ahead of England's friendly in Amsterdam on Wednesday, will not be leaving the Merseyside club.

Moyes said: "Joleon Lescott put in a written transfer request this morning which I immediately rejected.

"We will continue to work with him as we appreciate his many qualities as a player. I have said all along that I have no intention of selling my best players. Joleon is simply not for sale."

City have made offers of £15m and £19m for Lescott already this summer after manager Mark Hughes identified the versatile defender as the ideal man to play at centre-half and also act as cover for Wayne Bridge at full-back.

Having believed that the prospects of signing Lescott were dead on Monday morning, City were given encouragement by sources unrelated to Everton during the day that a deal might yet be possible.

But Everton have maintained throughout the transfer saga that they will not sell and Moyes's rapid rejection of Lescott's transfer request underlines his determination to win out.

With Phil Jagielka set to be sidelined until December with a cruciate knee ligament injury, Moyes is reluctant to weaken his defensive options by selling Lescott.

And City are now preparing to shift their sights elsewhere, with West Ham defender Matthew Upson and Portsmouth's Sylvain Distin now set to be subject of bids before the season opener against Blackburn at Ewood Park on Saturday.

Admire Moyes tough stance.But surely you can't hang on to a player that no longer wants to be there.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The mad scramble for CBs hots up with not that many good ones available.

Man. City desperate to get him. Everton needing a replacement pronto if he goes. Villa desperate for a good CB (or two) also. Liverpool also in the market. And Arsenal probably needing a CB even if they don't go for one due to cash constraints or Wenger's stubborness.

I have a feeling that Spurs move for Bassong for 8m was timely and will prove to be an absolute bargain when all the dust has settled.

Flying Fox

Man. City desperate to get him. Everton needing a replacement pronto if he goes. Villa desperate for a good CB (or two) also. Liverpool also in the market. And Arsenal probably needing a CB even if they don't go for one due to cash constraints or Wenger's stubborness.

I have a feeling that Spurs move for Bassong for 8m was timely and will prove to be an absolute bargain when all the dust has settled.
I agree

Assou-Ekotto/Bale-Bassong/Woodgate-King/Dawson/Corluka-Hutton/Corluka/Naughton/Chimbonda

Looks a very solid pool of defenders there you've got Glaston. Barring cockups like what has happened in seasons past, you could have a good run this season.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

Glaston mate, you've been known to jinx your team, so lets see what happens with that prediction.

I want Spurs to finish in the top 4 (ahead of arsenal or liverpool), so please do not predict that you guys will finish high because you have this ability to jinx your own team, just see what happens. If you finish higher than you predict then it's good news and if it's not so high, people can't brand you a "muppet", win-win. For the love of God, just don't jinx yourself.

Anduin

Agreed, if Bassong settles in well £8m could turn out to be a very good business for you.
There is no chance in hell though Lescott is worth this kind of money. From a financial point of view I bet Moyes would have no problem to sell, but where is the replacement going to come from? £22m is a lot for a centre-back, even in today's market.

It's funny to see though how good we are sorted in this particular department. Three top-class centre-backs in Rio, Vidic and Evans with Brown, O'Shea and Cathcart ready to step in if there is any need to do so. And another young product in Shawcross is linked with a move to Liverpool... :lol:

Is he definitely going to be allowed to play, as surely it would have been more timely to sign him after Newcastle's league game so he definitely wasn't suspended for your first game

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Glaston mate, you've been known to jinx your team, so lets see what happens with that prediction.

I want Spurs to finish in the top 4 (ahead of arsenal or liverpool), so please do not predict that you guys will finish high because you have this ability to jinx your own team, just see what happens. If you finish higher than you predict then it's good news and if it's not so high, people can't brand you a "muppet", win-win. For the love of God, just don't jinx yourself.
I haven't made any league predictions for Spurs so far. I only remarked (above) that Bassong will likely prove a bargain given the prevailing supply-and-demand situation for CBs.

He's young, quick, strong, with potential to improve, was voted as Newcastle's best player last season (even if that's not saying much) and now has the chance to play and train with - and learn from - the likes of Woodgate and King. As a cover CB alongside Dawson I don't think we could have done any better for the money involved and think Harry has made an astute move on this one. However, as always the proof will be in the pudding.

I don't believe in jinxes btw and before the season kicks off I will make a prediction about Spurs in the league later this week.

You're right that it's easier to keep your head down and make conservative predictions, rather than sticking your neck out and saying what you really think. But I'll do the latter anyhow.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Is he definitely going to be allowed to play, as surely it would have been more timely to sign him after Newcastle's league game so he definitely wasn't suspended for your first game
He is available for selection this weekend. Spurs didn't put in the paperwork with the FA until after his 2-game ban with Newcastle had expired.

Red_Jamie

If City pay anything over 20m for Joleon Lescott then they're a joke. I bet even Moyes is pissing himself at how much they're offering for him. He just knows he won't find anyone better for the money this year.

Red_Jamie

He cut them off before they tried.

Called them a small club and all that......
You'd still have thought they'd have shamelessly offered to double his wages or something.. Because that's what they are. Shameless. 'No' just doesn't mean no to them anymore..

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
If City pay anything over 20m for Joleon Lescott then they're a joke. I bet even Moyes is pissing himself at how much they're offering for him. He just knows he won't find anyone better for the money this year.
Bruno Alves could be bought for that price but I'd imagine he's got bigger fish to fry than Everton.

buckooo1978

they spent 17 million on de jong tho who was out of contract this summer....

city's money makes transfer fees insignificant

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
:lol: fair dues to Moyes..... still he should take their hand off if they're offering 20million

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Moyes has hit out at City manager Mark Hughes, saying that he has not approached the correct person when negotiating the deal.

"He (Hughes) said that he was looking to speak to the people who make the decisions. Well he knows who makes the decisions at Everton: it's me," Moyes said on Sky Sports News.

"He's never once picked up the phone and given me a phone call, so you're not going to get the answer. I'm the one who makes the decisions here, not like other clubs."

"We've been talking about it and we've not been concentrating on the start of the season, it's disrupted us, so maybe that's what overall whole plan was," Moyes added.

"But I look back and I look at the way Real Madrid did their business with Manchester United; done right at the end of the season, done quickly, allows Manchester United to buy if they want to do so.

"We can't be getting offers with a week or two to go until the end of the deadline and the offers they made show that we value Joleon Lescott far greater than Man City do.

"Joleon's a massive player for us, I've always said we don't want to lose him, we think so much of him here, the players think so much of him. We don't want Joleon to go, simple as that."

Moyes claimed that Lescott had had his "head twisted" by the approach from City before reiterating that the 26-year-old should realise he is not going to be allowed to leave Everton.

He said: "Lescott has had his head twisted in all of this. I hear that City think they are talking to people who make the decisions here, well that's me.

"I make the decisions, they have not talked to me and the player has been consistently told he is not for sale. He should get his head around that and get on with his career."
Showed Hughes up a bit with the first part I think.

I bet he's just holding out for more money.

Have to admit I like Moyes.

GDH

Showed Hughes up a bit with the first part I think.

I bet he's just holding out for more money.

Have to admit I like Moyes.
Same here. Whether in the long run he shows he's capabale of stepping up to the next level of management or not, I think he's always done a great job with Everton and deserves a lot of credit for that.

Personally I hope they hang onto Lescott. Selling one of their better players to a team in direct competition isn't the best idea, and he'll be especially important with Jagielka still out. Still, £20mil would be a great bit of buisness. I think if Jagielka was fit Moyes would take it.

Drifter

American
Hughes to maintain Lescott pursuit

Mark Hughes can understand David Moyes' reaction but he has no intention of abandoning his interest in Joleon Lescott.

The Manchester City boss awoke to news of Moyes' stinging attack on the Blues' pursuit of Lescott, who has had a transfer request turned down after bids of £15million and £18million failed to prise him away from Goodison Park.

"I have said before when a deal has run its course we would be prepared to walk away. At this moment in time, we are still to arrive at that position. Our interest is not finished yet," said Hughes.

"The headlines were quite predictable. I am not surprised David feels a bit aggrieved with the situation, you always are when a big club comes along trying to acquire one of your better players.

"You never want them to leave but we feel we are doing things the right way and through the proper channels."

In his withering attack, Moyes suggested instead of a vague reference to the "men who make the decisions at Everton" Hughes should have phoned the Scot direct.

"I could pick up the phone and ring David very easily. I would ask him whether I could have his player, he would say no and I would have to put the telephone down. What would be the point of that?" he said.

"The thing is we haven't put this into the public domain. Everton did that on their website."

New-boy Emmmanuel Adebayor and Stephen Ireland gave Manchester City an opening-day 2-0 win at Blackburn and Rovers boss Sam Allardyce was disappointed with his side's performance.

"We are disappointed to get nothing out of the game," he said. "Shay Given made a number of really top class saves but it wasn't our day."

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Same here. Whether in the long run he shows he's capabale of stepping up to the next level of management or not, I think he's always done a great job with Everton and deserves a lot of credit for that.

Personally I hope they hang onto Lescott. Selling one of their better players to a team in direct competition isn't the best idea, and he'll be especially important with Jagielka still out. Still, £20mil would be a great bit of buisness. I think if Jagielka was fit Moyes would take it.
Personally I'm hoping he gets rid of Lescott for about 30 million + and re-invests it in his squad. His side looks like it needs reinforcements.

Flying Fox

Personally I'm hoping he gets rid of Lescott for about 30 million + and re-invests it in his squad. His side looks like it needs reinforcements.
If this whole business with City reached this point 3-4 weeks earlier, I'd agree, but at this late point of the window, and with the season now under way, it would be a foolish move by Moyes, imo.

Next summer possibly.

Alex

If they spend it well they could finish higher than CIty, that said it will be hard to get all good buys at this late juncture. Lescott was fecking shit yesterday too.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If this whole business with City reached this point 3-4 weeks earlier, I'd agree, but at this late point of the window, and with the season now under way, it would be a foolish move by Moyes, imo.

Next summer possibly.
After what Arsenal did to them I doubt he can afford that tbh. Especially since Moyes is very wise at spending funds. While Lescott was pure garbage yesterday, on the back of a transfer request.
IMO a defender like a Huth (or someone better) and some midfielders to cover for the lack of creativity when Arteta is missing would do nicely.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Looks like he's off then, which is a damn shame for Everton.

I hope Everton recieve Onouha or Dunne + good cash in any proposed deal. What is the likelyhood of that actually happening? I suppose Yobo's actually quite a decent player, but whilst Jagielka's out they're a bit thin down back. Maybe it's time for one of those youngsters to step up.

Meanwhile I wonder if Hughes realises that you can't actually fit 54 into 11.

His head has been turned.

Moyes should get rid of him for the highest price possible. He is becoming a poisonous influence at the club and it will only get worse if he stays. They got a thrashing against Arsenal and their season may stall at the starting line if they dont take action soon. Lescott can be replaced and at his age they could get enough money to buy some quality replacements.

Drifter

American
Has i said i admire Moyes tough stance but it's only a matter of time before he joins the shitty gravy train.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Sold! Says The Telegraph, for £24m.

Joleon Lescott set to leave Everton and move to Manchester City for £24m

Everton have finally given in to Manchester City's long-running pursuit of Joleon Lescott but will report the Eastlands club to the Premier League over their conduct in the months it has taken to agree a £24 million deal.

City inquired about signing Lescott in the January transfer window and followed up that interest with two bids, worth £15 million and £18 million, during the close-season that were rejected by the Everton manager, David Moyes, who rebuffed a transfer request from the player 13 days ago. Moyes was infuriated by City's behaviour and branded their attempts to sign Lescott as "disgusting", while the club's captain Phil Neville was also critical of their conduct.

Longlivekeano

Lescott is an ingrateful bugger. Everton (i) saved his career from a ceratin eternal time of playing the the Championship/ Div 1/ Div 2 & (ii) made him an England interntaional and (iii) made him rich. This is how he pays Moyes back. cnut

prateik

Lescott is an ingrateful bugger. Everton (i) saved his career from a ceratin eternal time of playing the the Championship/ Div 1/ Div 2 & (ii) made him an England interntaional and (iii) made him rich. This is how he pays Moyes back. cnut
he is .. by giving him 24m to spend

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Suppose they'll be signing Sanderos now, good luck to him.

Would hope they get Dunne or Onouha too.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Now I think about it Moyes has really bled them dry... I mean we only got a few million more for Adebayor.

Fair play Moyes.