City show there are NO excuses for our opening day flop | Utd return the favour GW2

Fluctuation0161

First game of the season? You guys can't be serious with this fatigue nonsense, if it was like December/January then maybe but not first game of the season FFS.
Covid = most congested fixture list in history and shortest break between seasons. What was the break, 2 weeks?

Combined with the fact we have had piss poor squad depth for years now compared with any top team, let alone City who have the biggest squad depth of any club.

Wake up FFS.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
That City team had 8 players who've won the PL, in addition to Pep who's a serial winner.

Our team had 1 (De Gea).

Perhaps that's where some of the differences between us and City begin...

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Forget the first game, forget the two Liverpool wins, forget that Arsenal also have 6 points out of 6, forget the past 2 weeks in fact, the point is, every club has invested despite many claiming Covid would impact their finances.

Why are we still dangling in mid-air with Sancho with no solid reports about us in the market for a few other positions where we need back-up and/or quality?

What is going on at the club which "can do things in the market that other clubs can only dream of", apparently??

Denis79

Covid = most congested fixture list in history and shortest break between seasons. What was the break, 2 weeks?

Combined with the fact we have had piss poor squad depth for years now compared with any top team, let alone City who have the biggest squad depth of any club.

Wake up FFS.
Check the minutes played last season for let's say De Bruyne or Traore in Wolves, they didn't look knackered. Our mentality vs Palace was more the culprit than fitness.

roseguy64

Its not tiredness. Why do people keep saying that. If they are tired now then they will be fkd by Christmas. Its match fitness. Crystal Palace had 2 friendlies, A premier league game, and EFL game under their belt in September. We had 1 friendly. Wolves had 1 Prem game and 1 EFL game which they lost.
Its obvious which teams are match fit. Ok City are not match fit either but they came up against a team that wasn't either and their quality pulled them through.
Man United however shouldnt have this as an excuse even though its a major reason why we lost. We should have found a way to win even if when the circumstances are not in our favour.
This. We should have still won but I get why we didn't. We're a better team than Palace but we just weren't up to it based on these reasons.

sparx99

The fact is that they beat Wolves 3-1 away from home. We lost at home to an inferior Palace side 3-1. With all the excuses we were making, I was interested to see how City would do tonight. Whether they were at their best or not, matters not, they won. By two goals. While we lost... by two goals. And it could have been more.
and yet Palace consistently get points away from home against the top 6. So Wolves may be better overall but Palace are a particularly tricky opponent for big teams.

sparx99

As a certain Craig Burley loves to point out... and he is right... we did not improve last season. We finished with exactly the same number of points... 66.

And he is right. 66 points is usually good enough for sixth or seventh, so the fact we finished third is solely down to the teams below you being more mediocre.
Or the league got more competitive.

sparx99

The argument is not fatigue per-se but match fitness. The argument is the lack of pre-season makes us less sharp. But City showed that they are not sharp but still managed to get past a Wolves side who have had PL games, like Palace.
Which was still possible for us before the weird penalty decision and retake. We didn’t deserve anything but we still had a chance of fighting back from 1-0 down. After the 2nd goal it was much less likely. The 3rd goal is just from chasing the game.

Paul_Scholes18

and yet Palace consistently get points away from home against the top 6. So Wolves may be better overall but Palace are a particularly tricky opponent for big teams.
Wolves beat CIty twice last season and has caused us problems too.
We should really beat Palace at home.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why is it always the shite posters who think every thought that pops into their head deserves its own thread?

Ludens the Red

Spot on.

City have had the tougher fixture, have seen Silva retire and are without Aguero for the first two months of the season.

The number of excuses our fanbase will come up with is laughable.
As Soon as I saw this thread I said to myself I bet there’s loads of moving goalposts by some of our fans to justify that abomination we saw on Saturday. You just knew city would show us up tonight.
We’re just not a very professional team, whether it’s off the field or getting yourself into condition to perform on the field. It’s been like this since Mourinho. We don’t have a coaching team capable of whipping this group into peak performance conditioning.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
That City team had 8 players who've won the PL, in addition to Pep who's a serial winner.

Our team had 1 (De Gea).

So being a PL winner makes you naturally fitter?

patty123

To those now using the "city have a better squad" Villa played their first game also and won, so lets be hearing the excuses for that .

Rolaholic

The contrast between opening day last season when we battered Chelsea to the pathetic showing on Sunday is alarming.

Granted the circumstances are quiet different and there wasn't much of any preseason but that's the case for every side and we still looked more unprepared than everyone.

I'd imagine that our negligence in the transfer market as just about every rival around us strengthens wouldn't help with the overall feeling in the camp but there's no reason to be getting handled by Crystal Palace

roseguy64

To those now using the "city have a better squad" Villa played their first game also and won, so lets be hearing the excuses for that .
Aston Villa have played 5 friendlies so far. They're no way in the same position. The only comparable team was Man City.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Hate to say it but City are a better team than you with a much much better squad, I think Wolves are a better comparison as they also often rely on an unchanged 1st team and they looked knackered.

RashyForPM

Well done OP. Spot on.

At the end of the day, the difference is Pep. The team City put out last night, bar KdB, is no better than the team we put out on Saturday, yet we lost and they dispatched Wolves comfortably. Why? We have Ole and they have Pep. It’s simple.
Say it softly, but that City lineup is one of the worst I’ve seen for a while. 4 error prone defenders, two DMs, one aging rapidly and a very talented but unproven youngster, compounded by a crap bench where they can realistically only one bring one player on (Mahrez) to win the game.

If it wasn’t Pep on the touchline, I’d back Wolves to win.
And I said it before the game in the GW2 thread. With Pep, let’s be honest, anything is possible.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

Something about how Wolves are not as good/fit as Palace bullshit excuse I guess.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The second goal against us was unfair and unreasonable in many ways. If they didn't get that, who knows what the score would have been at the end but we'd still have played poor. The players were pumped up just like us but we didn't win the semi finals last season and so we really need to show ambition and I feel the board have demotivated the players and our anxiety is manifested in the football. The Glazers should sell the club because they are a liability. City will have their own dramas to contend with. Messi was quiet..:)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Of course there is no excuse. This has only come from those desperate to find one. We have a squad full of players miles better than those at Palace who are full internationals and extremely well paid. We are also supposed to have better managers and coaches than a club like Palace. So there's absolutely no lame ass excuse that should be presented for losing to then at home on opening day other than - we weren't good enough.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The second goal against us was unfair and unreasonable in many ways. If they didn't get that, who knows what the score would have been at the end but we'd still have played poor. The players were pumped up just like us but we didn't win the semi finals last season and so we really need to show ambition and I feel the board have demotivated the players and our anxiety is manifested in the football. The Glazers should sell the club because they are a liability. City will have their own dramas to contend with. Messi was quiet..:)
It's not the lost that bothers me, it's the lethargic limp display

Fluke happens, points lost and won on fine margin, that doesn't bother me. But if we can't get pumped up after last season 18 lostless run and show some hunger for more this season on our first game, then what's there to hope for this season? It's one thing losing a match, it's another starting a season with passion

CG1010

Next game can't come fast enough.. the amount of shit Redcafe has lost on one game is crazy. I think atleast 3-4 threads solely to analyse that game. It is truly redcafe goes into meltdown!

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
That's just your gut feeling or is there any logic to your prediction?
Bit of both. City need a new Aguero if they are to score enough goals in those tight matches over a season. The way that Mane does for Liverpool.

Aguero is City's Mane equivalent and he's missing for the next two months. He's also 32 and won't come back to form for several matches even when he's back. During this time I can see city dropping quite a few points while I can see Liverpool easily getting 100 points this season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Our team had 1 (De Gea).

There is a vacuum in our squad when it comes to winners. That’s why I find it appalling that Maguire is a captain. The bloke has never achieved anything of note in the game. Sums up the systematic lowering of standards at United.

dove

Wake up FFS.
No it wasn’t 2 weeks FFS. It was 5 and considering that we had a 3 month break not too long ago too, the fatigue excuse is ridiculous.

Josep Dowling

Theyve had pressure free football since Christmas. Underperforming to the point they had lost more games than we did, routinely rotating the squad as well.
Its not even close to being the same scenario.
What a load of crap this statement is.