City show there are NO excuses for our opening day flop | Utd return the favour GW2

Irrational.

There has been much said about our loss to Palace being about poor fitness and a lack of pre-season due to our missing out of first week PL action because of our European endeavours.

But Man City were in precisely the same situation tonight because of European competition, and managed to get past a better Wolves side 3-1 away from home.

Not only that Phil Foden who was in similar off-field problems to Greenwood... started. And scored.

Our diabolical performance on Saturday has much to do with the level of ambition our players are seeing, and the fans are seeing, in our transfer dealings. The bull from the top filters down.

Is Ole at fault? Yes. He is an inexperienced coach that is perhaps too nice for the role he is in. You cannot make fitness the excuse as a manager when over your shoulder your city rivals are putting egg on your face.

But getting rid of him is not the solution. The solution is to change the ownership and that is not going to happen anytime soon.
Spot on.

City have had the tougher fixture, have seen Silva retire and are without Aguero for the first two months of the season.

The number of excuses our fanbase will come up with is laughable.

Ranchero

:lol:

But, but, but culture, nice feeling, believe in pink unicorns.

Yeah, results are all that matter and I remember people using that same logic when OGS scrapped top 4 last season.
As a certain Craig Burley loves to point out... and he is right... we did not improve last season. We finished with exactly the same number of points... 66.

And he is right. 66 points is usually good enough for sixth or seventh, so the fact we finished third is solely down to the teams below you being more mediocre.

dove

As a certain Craig Burley loves to point out... and he is right... we did not improve last season. We finished with exactly the same number of points... 66.

And he is right. 66 points is usually good enough for sixth or seventh, so the fact we finished third is solely down to the teams below you being more mediocre.
Oh according to some of our top fans we made a massive improvement last season and we are way better than we think we are. Some predicted us to challenge for title this season :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well, they trained during pre season. Not the same.
And, if course, the most important thing; first game is irrelevant. /thread

Feed Me

I'm hungry
City players and coaches rose to the challenge while ours happily took the excuse. The difference in mentality between the two clubs is night and day.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Indeed. The fact we've already repeated one of our 'unforced errors' from last season is a damning indictment on the board but also on the manager since Bruno was supposed to have revitalised us and we looked clueless, with Scotty McT and James playing when we have more dynamic players like Fred on the bench.

UpWithRivers

Its not tiredness. Why do people keep saying that. If they are tired now then they will be fkd by Christmas. Its match fitness. Crystal Palace had 2 friendlies, A premier league game, and EFL game under their belt in September. We had 1 friendly. Wolves had 1 Prem game and 1 EFL game which they lost.
Its obvious which teams are match fit. Ok City are not match fit either but they came up against a team that wasn't either and their quality pulled them through.
Man United however shouldnt have this as an excuse even though its a major reason why we lost. We should have found a way to win even if when the circumstances are not in our favour.

Ranchero

City players and coaches rose to the challenge while ours happily took the excuse. The difference in mentality between the two clubs is night and day.
I have to agree. City found a way in exactly the same scenario with no David Silva... and bloody hell, they even had John Stones in defence, FFS

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They clearly flagged in the 2nd half and if Wolves took their numberous chances they could have easily lost.

fitness is an issue whether you accept it or not.

Ranchero

Indeed. The fact we've already repeated one of our 'unforced errors' from last season is a damning indictment on the board but also on the manager since Bruno was supposed to have revitalised us and we looked clueless, with Scotty McT and James playing when we have more dynamic players like Fred on the bench.
McTominay and James playing, said it all. How on earth did they start. James has shown nothing and quite why Ole had him in the first 11 while Greenwood was on the bench is beyond me. The fact he was pulled at half time is an admission that he messed up.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I have to agree. City found a way in exactly the same scenario with no David Silva... and bloody hell, they even had John Stones in defence, FFS
They blooded a new CB alongside Stones who was persona non grata last season. We should just face facts – United is a club with a weak loser mentality from top to bottom. We were always going to lose because our preparation was sub-optimal. Just like Rashford can’t perform without Shaw. Or just like Pogba can’t perform unless the midfield is perfectly calibrated. We cannot deal with any sort of bump in the road. Fecking wimps.

Tibs

City have a winners mindset...the only medals they want are winners medals.

Our management is just happy to take part, and get a medal for being in the Premiership

Fluctuation0161

There has been much said about our loss to Palace being about poor fitness and a lack of pre-season due to our missing out of first week PL action because of our European endeavours.

But Man City were in precisely the same situation tonight because of European competition, and managed to get past a better Wolves side 3-1 away from home.

Not only that Phil Foden who was in similar off-field problems to Greenwood... started. And scored.

Our diabolical performance on Saturday has much to do with the level of ambition our players are seeing, and the fans are seeing, in our transfer dealings. The bull from the top filters down.

Is Ole at fault? Yes. He is an inexperienced coach that is perhaps too nice for the role he is in. You cannot make fitness the excuse as a manager when over your shoulder your city rivals are putting egg on your face.

But getting rid of him is not the solution. The solution is to change the ownership and that is not going to happen anytime soon.
They've got much better squad depth and quality than us. And have done for a long time. So their players are also less fatigued.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
City have a winners mindset...the only medals they want are winners medals.

Our management is just happy to take part, and get a medal for being in the Premiership
Why did they finish so far behind Liverpool last season?

BlueHaze

McTominay and James playing, said it all. How on earth did they start. James has shown nothing and quite why Ole had him in the first 11 while Greenwood was on the bench is beyond me. The fact he was pulled at half time is an admission that he messed up.
True but having rewatched the game yet again let's not kid ourselves here no matter who was starting we would get spanked either way. The entire team played like a bunch of drunken pirates. If they carry on not giving a feck and roaming around like zombies then 6th would be a good achievement.

dove

They've got much better squad depth and quality than us. And have done for a long time. So their players are also less fatigued.
First game of the season? You guys can't be serious with this fatigue nonsense, if it was like December/January then maybe but not first game of the season FFS.

Ranchero

They blooded a new CB alongside Stones who was persona non grata last season. We should just face facts – United is a club with a weak loser mentality from top to bottom. We were always going to lose because our preparation was sub-optimal. Just like Rashford can’t perform without Shaw. Or just like Pogba can’t perform unless the midfield is perfectly calibrated. We cannot deal with any sort of bump in the road. Fecking wimps.
I would take Ake yesterday. The difficulty the club has is the same as Liverpool when they went through their years of limbo. There is so much expected from fans and unless you are tough mentally, you get crushed when things do not go well. Too often we have new players who add a lift only for them to fall away. Maguire, Wan Bissaka, even James looked great when they started and then the rot sets in.

Fooza

Its not tiredness. Why do people keep saying that. If they are tired now then they will be fkd by Christmas. Its match fitness. Crystal Palace had 2 friendlies, A premier league game, and EFL game under their belt in September. We had 1 friendly. Wolves had 1 Prem game and 1 EFL game which they lost.
Its obvious which teams are match fit. Ok City are not match fit either but they came up against a team that wasn't either and their quality pulled them through.
Man United however shouldnt have this as an excuse even though its a major reason why we lost. We should have found a way to win even if when the circumstances are not in our favour.
Genuine question; Could united not see this issue the moment we were in the EL or got knocked out about how short the summer break will be?

I just find it baffling how one of the top clubs in the world, in one of the best leagues in the world, with a business of millions of pounds ran by many staff who are top professionals (many as coaches and in the fitness game) couldn't figure out others ways to get some player with match fitness, knowing there will also be an international break too.

I know Ole messed up by playing players like Pogba over others who were fitter than him, but really I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and surely it's a team of Ole and coaches who know, plan and decide for the first game.

Wolves had the same pre-season time frame as us, yet managed to beat Sheffield united on the first day, being fit and sharp. Something seriously stinks at united that is not happening in other (top) teams.

izec

Oh according to some of our top fans we made a massive improvement last season and we are way better than we think we are. Some predicted us to challenge for title this season :lol:
Dark horses for the CL they said

Ranchero

First game of the season? You guys can't be serious with this fatigue nonsense, if it was like December/January then maybe but not first game of the season FFS.
The argument is not fatigue per-se but match fitness. The argument is the lack of pre-season makes us less sharp. But City showed that they are not sharp but still managed to get past a Wolves side who have had PL games, like Palace.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I would take Ake yesterday. The difficulty the club has is the same as Liverpool when they went through their years of limbo. There is so much expected from fans and unless you are tough mentally, you get crushed when things do not go well. Too often we have new players who add a lift only for them to fall away. Maguire, Wan Bissaka, even James looked great when they started and then the rot sets in.
I would suggest with all three players that they have just reverted to mean. I look at the trio you’ve mentioned and realise how dreadfully we have regressed in terms of our standards. AWB is a non-entity on the ball. James is not of the required quality, especially in a team like ours which often has to break down massed ranks. Maguire is a back up centre half who has somehow risen to a position of leadership despite having never won anything.

led_scholes

I'm not quite sure how we go from third midtable? Don't get me wrong, I'm a harsh critic. But battle for top 4 again is where I see our season going. Could end anywhere from 6th to 3rd if we're lucky.
Chelsea did it twice after winning the league.

el3mel

People will always say excuses to make us look better than what we're. No one is saying we should have been prime Barca against Palace but losing by 3 goals to them is a disgrace. At least with 1-0 or 2-1 there would have been a case to be made or something.

Can only predict if we didn't win against Brighton some here will say they're starting the season strong, playing great and it should be no shame to lose or draw against them. Of course if we win they'll come on and mock everyone here.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's not so black and white. We looked completely unready for the start of the season, which is very understandable. One pre-season game, and no pre-season to speak of. While Palace were already up to speed. However, we were in good form not so long ago and the team was starting to play with purpose. There was no hint of that against Palace, not even a 5 minute spell, which is worrying. And the team selection was suspect.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
There never were any excuses.

We had about 3 weeks off and in that time we had players getting into fights with police, sneaking girls into hotel rooms on internation duty, getting caught doing drugs, flying off to places when they knew the quaranteen measures would affect their ability to train, etc.

If you can't put two and two together and see why a bunch of players who behave like an unprofessional mess, then go on the pitch and perform like one, then you're being ignorant really.

Our break wasn't even long enough for players to really get themselves that out of shape or short of fitness unless they literally did nothing but actively destroy their own health during that time.

I wasn't expecting us to be flying against Palace but we were not even competitive, and we had players who may have helped, who couldn't play for no reason other than their own stupidity.