Class of 92: Out of their league

pascell

In terms of legality, avoiding a conflict of interest is a contractual obligation of an employee and any situation that could give rise to a conflict must be disclosed to the employer. Obviously, Giggs and Butt have done that already. Thereafter, the employer needs to deal with it and will have its policies. It's possible to waive conflict, but very rare in a sporting competition. Probably, Giggs and Butt would sit out of team meetings, preps and the game itself, if your scenario did happen.
And what if this happened and Giggs was United manager?

Shiva87

And what if this happened and Giggs was United manager?
Again. Its already disclosed to the club, so I'm assuming its already a part of his agreement for being assistant manager. Stuff like - non-compete, devotion of time to United (and not Salford), etc. If he is the United manager, he could still manage the team in a game against Salford but it will open his team selections, tactics, conduct etc. to a high level of scrutiny. In the end, a conflict of interest only needs to be resolved/ accommodated as long as it's not perpetual. In a one off FA Cup game, its not very relevant. But hypothetically, if Salford and United were both in the premier league then I'm sure Giggs would have to either resign as the manager, or sell his stake in Salford.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
BURY, England (AP) -- Even in retirement, Manchester United's famous "Class of '92" isn't done with conjuring up fairy tales.

While the group's most famous name, David Beckham, has hit roadblocks in his attempt to start an MLS expansion team in Miami, five of his former teammates made their first foray into club ownership much closer to home.

Last year, Gary and Phil Neville, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt - winners of the Premier League a combined 44 times at United and the backbone of two trophy-laden decades under manager Alex Ferguson - bought a 50 percent stake in non-league side Salford City, which is located less than 8 kilometers from United's famed Old Trafford. Salford was playing at the time in the eighth tier of English soccer.

Under the "Class of '92," Salford achieved immediate promotion, is currently riding high in the seventh tier - the Northern Premier Division - and is on its best run in the FA Cup, the world's oldest and most iconic club knockout competition. A win against fourth-tier Hartlepool on Friday would place Salford in with the country's giants - including United - in the draw for the third round.

"Who in their right mind, in the seventh tier of English football, is really looking to get to the third round of the FA Cup," Salford striker Danny Webber said. "This is a dream to get here. It's a fairy tale."

Fans of Salford's rivals have labeled the team "Manchester City of the non-league," referring to a club that's become a Premier League force since 2008 through an injection of cash. The perception is that the "Class of '92" and Singaporean business partner Peter Lim, who owns the other 50 percent, are buying their way up the leagues. Even some die-hard Salford fans initially resented a takeover which they perceived threatened the soul of the club.

Salford's players and officials reject those accusations. Money has mostly been spent on improving infrastructure at the club's 1,400-capacity Moor Lane home rather than the semi-professional playing squad, on which the owners have imposed a wage limit. Every player has a full-time job away from soccer - there are window cleaners, fitness instructors, delivery drivers, nurses. The co-manager, Anthony Johnson, is a wagon driver.

"People's perception of the club is totally wrong," striker Gareth Seddon, who models for the likes of Nike, Puma and Under Armour, told The Associated Press before one of the team's two weekly training sessions in nearby Bury. "The Class of '92 wants to do it the right way.

"The whole ethos is to make it a family club, a community club. We don't want to be seen as a club that just buys players and buys the league. If we do that, players and fans won't buy into the whole story of Salford. The soul will go and we don't want that."

With Gary Neville - the England assistant manager and newly hired coach of Spanish team Valencia - at the forefront, the United greats have brought a seriousness and professionalism to the club, although they try not to interfere in team matters.

A recently aired BBC TV documentary - entitled "Class of '92: Out Of Their League" - took a fly-on-the-wall look at their dealings with Salford in their first season in charge. They care deeply about the club. They anguish over board decisions. Losses on the field hurt. This doesn't seem to be a publicity stunt.

And it's putting Salford City's name in lights. The game against Hartlepool at Moor Lane is a sell-out, like it was for the first-round victory against Notts County which was watched by 3.5 million TV viewers - a record for that stage of the FA Cup - and saw Gary Neville and Scholes sing and dance with the players in the locker room after the game.

"The name's getting around," Salford chairwoman Karen Baird told the AP. "We had a minor cup game a couple of weeks ago, and we'd normally have 30 people and a dog there. There was, like, 1,000 people there. This FA Cup run has done wonders for us."

Gary Neville was presented as Valencia coach on Thursday, and will likely be at the Spanish club's Mestalla Stadium on Saturday for its game against Barcelona. But he is planning to fly back to Salford on Friday to take in the FA Cup game, from his usual position on a bank in the far corner of the ground.

Webber, a former United player and Salford's most high-profile name, said there's a "Class of 92" presence at 90 percent of games, which drives him and his teammates on.

"There's a certain standard set," said the 33-year-old Webber, who was close to retiring before being lured to Salford. "They've come through at United and they are disciples of Sir Alex ... they do things with an element of class, good standards and humanity."

And now, Salford is 90 minutes away from potentially a third-round match against United.

"It'd be great to go to Old Trafford and play as the minions," Webber said with a smile. "It'd be a great day out."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-12-03-08-25-02

Fully Fledged

Starting to side with Roy Keane and his view that these guys have become their own ''brand''. Giggs made his United debut in 1991, so how is he in the Class of 92?
He played in the 1992 Youth Cup Final. That's what the whole Class of 92 was about the Youth Cup winning squad. I say squad because I don't think Scholes played in the final.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
They are all so shit. Makes me angry watching them fail at the basics.

Devil81

They are all so shit. Makes me angry watching them fail at the basics.
What are you expecting from Semi pro footballers?

If they were better they'd be full pro's, I think they are doing well.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
What are you expecting from Semi pro footballers?

If they were better they'd be full pro's, I think they are doing well.
I don't know. Just seems like they are worse then me and my mates down the park having a kick about. I can certainly cross better then most of their players after beating a man.

Devil81

Dawson looks leggy to me, I'd consider changing him as he's the one looking most out of his depth.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I don't know. Just seems like they are worse then me and my mates down the park having a kick about. I can certainly cross better then most of their players after beating a man.
The wind is a massive factor.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Can you not cross a ball without sending it flying over the goal 30 feet in the air? That's happened a lot in this game.
And yet here they are playing in the FA Cup whilst you're on the caf.

It's windy as feck, suggesting you and your mates are better is just stupid/ignorant.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Keep the ball low then. Wind doesn't cause you to spoon it as high as possible.
The balls bobbling. They're certainly not Premiership quality players. However, to suggest they're no better than you and your mates is somewhat overstating your abilities.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
are people really slating a lowly non league team, playing a league 2 team? :lol:

It's level you donut!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
there's possibly a slight difference.

in that you probably have about 20mins before your fat ginger mate comes over to close you down, whereas these guys have proper league class professionals making it slightly harder for them.

you and your mates wouldn't get a second touch on the ball against anyone on this pitch

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ya but one of the lads can cross much better than these fecks!
that's not nothing on an old mate's level of hyperbole.

I'll never forget him saying even he'd score 30 a year in Spain.

Despite the fact he never scored one against some utter toilet at the work's 5 a side!

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
And yet here they are playing in the FA Cup whilst you're on the caf.

It's windy as feck, suggesting you and your mates are better is just stupid/ignorant.
Ya, you and your mates are much better than these lads....
The balls bobbling. They're certainly not Premiership quality players. However, to suggest they're no better than you and your mates is somewhat overstating your abilities.
there's possibly a slight difference.

in that you probably have about 20mins before your fat ginger mate comes over to close you down, whereas these guys have proper league class professionals making it slightly harder for them.

you and your mates wouldn't get a second touch on the ball against anyone on this pitch
Hey, we were city champions in the 7 a side league.

Honestly though, a mate who I used to play with has got trials with Southamptons youth teams and he wasn't even one of the better guys when we played. To suggest that they were better then these guys isn't that outlandish. I would suspect a lot of members on this site would easily get into this Salford team and probably be the best player there. They're just that bad.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves

Honestly though, a mate who I used to play with has got trials with Southamptons youth teams and he wasn't even one of the better guys when we played. To suggest that they were better then these guys isn't that outlandish. I would suspect a lot of members on this site would easily get into this Salford team and probably be the best player there. They're just that bad.
You'd swear the Salford lads were just plucked from pub teams across the land, and none of them had any form of a career anywhere.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

you sort of had a chance of credibility with the "my mate was brill" anecdote, but the last lines are just mad.

No doubt there's a few good players on here, but the majority will be puny kids, fatties, or over the hill barstards.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
You'd swear the Salford lads were just plucked from pub teams across the land, and none of them had any form of a career anywhere.
You would never have guessed from the way they were playing.
you sort of had a chance of credibility with the "my mate was brill" anecdote, but the last lines are just mad.

No doubt there's a few good players on here, but the majority will be puny kids, fatties, or over the hill barstards.
There are quite a few thousand people on here so it isn't too much to suggest that we could pick 11 who could play better then the Salford bunch.

That's the thing with my mate, he wasn't the standout player whenever we played together. Certainly not trials for Southampton good.

Tyrion

Can you not cross a ball without sending it flying over the goal 30 feet in the air? That's happened a lot in this game.

I know those crosses are (mostly) not as bad as 30 foot in the air and this strays off topic but if crap crossing makes Salford players unworthy of getting paid to play football, every fan who attended/watched the above game deserves compensation. It's hard to compare the two but crap crossing actually appears to be pretty common.

I'm a puny 22 year old who's fat on the inside AND over the hill. Do I count?

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
You would never have guessed from the way they were playing.

There are quite a few thousand people on here so it isn't too much to suggest that we could pick 11 who could play better then the Salford bunch.

That's the thing with my mate, he wasn't the standout player whenever we played together. Certainly not trials for Southampton good.

You remind me of a mate who was a pretty decent footballer at a local level. Brought him over to a game at Old Trafford. We got to the stadium early, watched the warm up and he pipes up "there isn't much between us and them is there? Bit of training and we can match them" we giggled a bit but he remained stern faced. He was bloody serious...

It is one thing to make a statement. It is another to put it into practice from 5 or 7 aside into a pressurised 11 aside environment where halftime cigarettes and nursing hangovers are not the norm

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

I know those crosses are (mostly) not as bad as 30 foot in the air and this strays off topic but if crap crossing makes Salford players unworthy of getting paid to play football, every fan who attended/watched the above game deserves compensation. It's hard to compare the two but crap crossing actually appears to be pretty common.

I'm a puny 22 year old who's fat on the inside AND over the hill. Do I count?
Most of those crosses are pretty good though. There was just a lack of anticipation and reading of the crosses from the attackers which meant nobody was on the end to attack them.

I do have a problem understanding how players sky their shots so much. The playing surface is beautiful and hardly any wind in comparison to grass roots yet I rarely see it happen in grass roots football like it does with professional players. If anything, a lack of power is usually the problem. Not blasting it as high as they do though.