Class of 92

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Didn't see a thread for this, but apologies if old news:

Universal to release Class of 92

4 November, 2013 | By Michael Rosser

Documentary about footballers including David Beckham to get UK theatrical release.
The Class of 92, a documentary detailing the rise to stardom of six young Manchester United footballers including David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Phil and Gary Neville, will debut in selected cinemas across the UK through Universal Pictures from Dec 1.
The film will be available on DVD the following day (Dec 2).
The documentary covers 1992-1999, culminating in Manchester United’s European Cup triumph, and interweaves the narrative with the social and cultural changes taking place in Britain at the time.
The production secured access to all six players and also includes interviews with Zinedine Zidane, Tony Blair, Mani from the Stone Roses, Eric Cantona and Danny Boyle.
David Beckham said: “My time with these players at Manchester United were the most special in my career. We came from different backgrounds, grew up like a family playing together through the ranks, all wanting to be successful. In the end, what we achieved was beyond our wildest dreams. I loved making this film and reuniting back with the lads and talking openly about our time together.”
Ryan Giggs said: “When we were approached to do this film, it gave me the chance to think back over all the events in not only my career but all of the lads involved. Hopefully you’ll see how personal it is to us all - we’re still great mates and who would turn down the chance to make a movie with your best mates?”
Phil Neville added: “Making this film was a great experience, it’s got us all together, as we don’t often get a chance to these days, to revisit old haunts and reflect over the past. I am really looking forward to seeing the film complete”.
The Class of 92 is directed by Ben and Gabe Turner, produced by Leo Pearlman, all of Fulwell 73 Productions and executive produced by Patrick Holland of Boundless, part of FremantleMedia UK.

Cina

I'd say around 80% of it will revolve around Beckham.

kps88

That explains the shot of them walking around Manchester together. They were probably filming.

Shark

@NotShark
feck it, lets bring them all back from retirement and win this bloody league.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Read the book, it was great.

Should be a very good watch.

Eric'sCollar

Got this about 2 months ago, I'm a keen collector of United stuff but this is really one of my favourites. A Nicky Butt, signed print.

TypeR

This group is so special, and I really think we'll not see another group of players come through out of any youth academy en masse like them ever again. Butt and Phil aside, you could make an argument that each of the other 4 have been one of the best in their respective positions in the world at some point in time.

I'm lucky to be old enough to remember Gigg's debut and it really fills me with great pride growing up watching Man United football with the golden class of '92. I'm never the fastest runner, the strongest on the ball nor the most technically talented with my off-leg, so Becks was always one of my faves growing up, showing that you can play on the wing with just plain hard work and a good right peg. Scholes too, showed what a little man with asthmatic problems as a kid could do. Immense talents, the lot of them, but more than that they were truly inspirations for lots of kids growing up in the 90s.

Eric'sCollar

Butt and Phil aside, you could make an argument that each of the other 4 have been one of the best in their respective positions in the world at some point in time.
I'm taking the piss and in no way suggesting that we listen to the fool that is Pele. But he did say that Butt was his player of the World Cup in 2002, that tournament had some fine midfielders. So even for a month, Nicky was the best midfielder in the world.

Well, I tell myself that.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I'm taking the piss and in no way suggesting that we listen to the fool that is Pele. But he did say that Butt was his player of the World Cup in 2002, that tournament had some fine midfielders. So even for a month, Nicky was the best midfielder in the world.

I think he made more starts in the centre of midfield than either Keane or Scholes during the 98/99 season.

Much under-rated is Nicky Butt.

Eric'sCollar

I think he made more starts in the centre of midfield than either Keane or Scholes during the 98/99 season.

Much under-rated is Nicky Butt.
A quick look at wikipedia says that Keane and Scholes had more appearances, only by a few but yeh, starts could be another thing.

I think many just saw Nicky Butt as a tough tacking "defensive midfielder" type of player but he was such a good footballer. Especially in that youth team, he was a big attacking threat and really drove the team forward. One of my favourite players growing up.

Still remember his overhead kick in the final of that Youth Cup, imagine if it went in.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
A quick look at wikipedia says that Keane and Scholes had more appearances, only by a few but yeh, starts could be another thing.

I think many just saw Nicky Butt as a tough tacking "defensive midfielder" type of player but he was such a good footballer. Especially in that youth team, he was a big attacking threat and really drove the team forward. One of my favourite players growing up.

Still remember his overhead kick in the final of that Youth Cup, imagine if it went in.
I think he tried another one against West Ham as well.

Eric'sCollar

I think he tried another one against West Ham as well.
The one at West Ham was a top goal, wasn't as spectacular as the one in the final but I guess it counts more as it went in :lol:

Beckham scored two in the match as well, one penalty and a wonderful chip. Scholes got one too.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I remember reading that Butt was the one they had the most hopes for, they saw him becoming a midfield general. It never quite panned out but he was a fantastic servant to the club. I'm really looking forward to this, I hope they share some of their best stories.

Thisistheone

Love all the banter between them. They're genuinely good mates, playing for Manchester United. Talk about living the dream.

Eric'sCollar

Goosebumps watching the trailers. Read the book and it was one of my favourite reads, if the book is anything to go by, this will be fantastic.

I remember reading that Butt was the one they had the most hopes for, they saw him becoming a midfield general. It never quite panned out but he was a fantastic servant to the club. I'm really looking forward to this, I hope they share some of their best stories.
Butt was a real driving force in that side, people just look at him now and in his senior career as this tough tacking defensive midfielder but he was a great footballer and was a big attacking threat.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Butt was a real driving force in that side, people just look at him now and in his senior career as this tough tacking defensive midfielder but he was a great footballer and was a big attacking threat.
dat header... :drool:

ravelston

Butt was certainly England's player of that World Cup - they were organised so everything went through him. And England may well have been the best team there - if Brasil hadn't screwed up the group stages we'd have met them in the final. Still that's water long gone from under the bridge - no point in being bitter.

Eric'sCollar

Going from past interviews and hearing other players talk about him, Scholes does seem quite funny, just seems like on of those mates who comes up with those quick one liners. The book was a great read and I'm sure this will be just as good, if not a better watch.

kps88

Wish they released this in cinemas worldwide! I'm sure it would do well.

ricky-romeo

butt was always a great servant to the club. maybe when he joined newcastle he was a bit over his peak by then but i reckon he should had stayed, for another season or two at least. maybe fergei was trying to give the likes of kleberson and djemba-djemba more games, which was not a great move of course, plus we had a young darren fletcher coming through then.

Eric'sCollar

butt was always a great servant to the club. maybe when he joined newcastle he was a bit over his peak by then but i reckon he should had stayed, for another season or two at least. maybe fergei was trying to give the likes of kleberson and djemba-djemba more games, which was not a great move of course, plus we had a young darren fletcher coming through then.
In his book, Fergie spoke about just how hard it was to let Butt and Phil Neville go but they both got to the stage in their career where they wanted to play and Fergie wanted to build something new. It would have been great to hold on to him for another season or two but that's life.

The club is lucky to have him back.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
In his book, Fergie spoke about just how hard it was to let Butt and Phil Neville go but they both got to the stage in their career where they wanted to play and Fergie wanted to build something new. It would have been great to hold on to him for another season or two but that's life.

The club is lucky to have him back.
He mentioned Neville's wife crying about not wanting to leave United :(