Claude Puel sacked

RochaRoja

To not get beaten 1-4 at home to Crystal Palace probably.
Leicester are getting well above their station if they think losing 1-4 at home to Palace is so unacceptable. It’s a bad result but hardly unprecedented for a mid table team to get beaten by such a scoreline against a slightly worse team.

FireballXL5

Michael Owen on BT Sport last night said that the players didn't like him and neither did the fans.
When a high profile pundit comes out with comments like that you know he's done.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah, it's a pretty attractive job. Better than Everton. Same hopes and ambitions, but lower expectations and not a recent devastatingly poor recruitment history (even worse than ours perhaps).

edit: sorry @SilentWitness
:lol: No shame in stating facts. Leicester is definitely a more attractive prospect than us right now. Won the league a couple of years ago and like I said above have a good squad. The city seems to back them too, we love to hate ourselves.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I thought they’d wait until the summer, but he was basically doomed anyway I guess.

Acole9

Outstanding
As soon as I saw the result yesterday you knew the writing was on the wall. Player power has prevailed again at Leicester. Any manager that takes on Vardy/Schmeichel is doomed.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, Since Simeone taken over, Atletico Madrid was not rich at the time, around 20-30 on the richest club list. They grew up, increasing their revenue and exposure of UCL, they have Greizmann on 400K+, that how rich Atletico Madrid has gotten since 2011. Valencia and Villiard have been more successful than Atletico Madrid in 2000s, no one can top Barca/Real in the league and be more successful than them but Atletico Madrid is very doing well when you consider gaps between them and Barca/Real in revenue and powers.

We have our Atletico Madrid in England which is Spurs. If Atletico Madrid and Spurs show they can match the powerful club despite behind in success, the prestige of club, revenue, and trophies, I think Leicester City can do, they'll take it at slow to get better each time. Rome wasn't built in a day
The common denominator of those two clubs is exceptional managers who have milked everything out of their squads, in Simeone and Pochettino. Funnily enough, I noticed when this season Pochettino started emulating the Simeone's fashion, black trousers, black shirt, black tie.

Judas

Open to offers
Leicester are getting well above their station if they think losing 1-4 at home to Palace is so unacceptable. It’s a bad result but hardly unprecedented for a mid table team to get beaten by such a scoreline against a slightly worse team.
You're not giving them the credit they deserve. They've a much better team than the results or performances they've had under Puel. They're a much better team than Palace.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
:lol: No shame in stating facts. Leicester is definitely a more attractive prospect than us right now. Won the league a couple of years ago and like I said above have a good squad. The city seems to back them too, we love to hate ourselves.
:D At least you won't be going head to head for the managerial scrap heap available, just yet..and you have that kid a lot of clubs will want to buy this summer, Richarlison.

Pass and Move

Seems like a perfect move for Pochettino, if the recent PL title doesn’t add too much expectation to the position.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ridiculous decision. His general body of work hasn't been bad at all for a club of Leicester's status. They can't keep living off that miracle season. Barring his foul ups in cup tie selection which is admittedly poor by him, I can't see what standards they could be imagining for themselves that he isn't meeting. Beat Citeh for goodness sakes...
They are sitting in 12th, as close to the relegation zone as they are to 7th (which is where they'd be looking to establish themselves so they can take advantage of any of the big six having a poor season). They had a very poor end of last season as well, only winning 3 of their last 14 matches. Combine with the poor cup selections, and what seems to be fairly poor football in general, it's hardly surprising.

renatosanches85

You’re probably right, but the question was what do they expect. I’d imagine they have quite high expectations, especially given the investment in the playing squad the last few years.

deadrevelz

Always going to happen. The players and fans weren't on board, they should be higher in the league and they are playing crap football. They need to look at Southampton and see how they picked the right manager for so many years that complimented the players they had. I'm sure there will be a lot of managers who would be interested.

Needham

What does Lineker's tweeted reaction also say about Brexit?

deafepl

Atleti is competing with only Barça and Madrid in a league where four teams qualify for the Champions League. Leicester would have to finish above one of United, City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea just to get into the top 6.

Atleti is also historically the third biggest club in Spain. Leicester would probably be hovering around thirtieth place in England.
Yeah, Atletico Madrid has been 3rd successful in the league finishes over 80 seasons, Everton also historically biggest 4th in the league after United, Liverpool, and Arsenal but that doesn't mean they can compete with the top team given their trophies, gaps between Atletico Madrid and Rea/Barca is bigger in 2010 than say United and Spurs/Everton. Atletico Madrid is closing gaps, reducing gaps as they grew, having success and more exposure of their brand on global

My point is that Leicester City wants to be the Atletico Madrid of England who can top team in the league and play in UCL/ECL, reducing gaps between them and top 6 without funding by the state/ sugar daddy as City and Chelsea do.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

RC89

Why? If they feel that he’s no longer the right fit for the job, and the team won’t be in danger of relegation, why not give the new manager the last 10 or so games to assess his players and start preparation for new season?

Say what you want about Leicester but they’ve been very proactive with managerial appointment, and that serves them well.
Yeah, fair point.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Very true. Also, the league is quite competitive.

NinjaFletch

Always going to happen. The players and fans weren't on board, they should be higher in the league and they are playing crap football. They need to look at Southampton and see how they picked the right manager for so many years that complimented the players they had. I'm sure there will be a lot of managers who would be interested.
I mean they also might look at Southampton who sacked Puel when he finished 8th with them and won a cup and have since been battling relegation and think 'be careful what you wish for'.

RochaRoja

I don't know how people can look at the players they have and think Puel was doing a good enough job. Bizarre.
Because their squad isn’t that good?

Yesterday, Fuchs and Evans started. That’s a guy who was relegated last year and a guy who’s been on the scrapheap for the last two seasons. Their most creative player is in his first Premier League season and their two wingers yesterday have done nothing in the PL so far. Tielemanns is a big name but has been underperforming for Monaco and is playing, what, his third game in England? The majority of their players are either not that good, inexperienced or declining. West Ham and Everton have much better sides and are doing about the same.

People will say that Watford are doing better with a worse squad but their over performing shouldn’t be used as a way to denigrate the other lesser teams in the league any more than Leicester’s title win or Burnley’s seventh place. Sometimes “average” teams just have seasons where they perform way above themselves.

Nick7

Good decision. Their squad is far better than the football he plays

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I think the model Leicester are looking to emulate isn't modern Atletico Madrid so much as them pre-Simeone or Sevilla, consistent finishes in the top 8 and cups runs to keep a high profile and a steady stream of players that can be sold on to bigger clubs. To be fair they've got to keep the likes of Pereira, Chilwell, Ndidi and Maddison as attractive, relatively affordable assets to the top 6 clubs and bombing out of the cups, playing crap football and getting hammered at home by Palace is bad advertising.

Aston Villa had that spot for a few years with O'Neill, building up the likes of Barry, Milner, Young and Downing but they stagnated and look at them now.

crossy1686

career ending
Inevitable. Results have been poor, players haven't performed, fans are unhappy with the football. Even Paul Ince could see that it wasn't working...

flappyjay

To think Jose got beat 3-0 by westham and kept his job

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Should have stuck with Ranieri imo. Too many trigger happy clubs. Agree that Rodgers would be a good fit for them. I'm guessing the likes of Clement, Lambert, Hughes, Moyes are Pardew are firing up those resumes as we speak.

Kapardin

Leicester are a far better team than 12th. That squad is capable of challenging for 7th and even giving Chelsea or Arsenal a scare for 6th.

Puel was doing a Mourinho in holding them back a bit. Can't say the sacking was undeserved.

deadrevelz

I mean they also might look at Southampton who sacked Puel when he finished 8th with them and won a cup and have since been battling relegation and think 'be careful what you wish for'.
Meant to say Swansea. :lol:
Specifically a highly performing small club which had a clear plan to recruit a manager that fit the clubs recent philosophy.

RochaRoja

Leicester are a far better team than 12th. That squad is capable of challenging for 7th and even giving Chelsea or Arsenal a scare for 6th.

Puel was doing a Mourinho in holding them back a bit. Can't say the sacking was undeserved.
They’re not even close to being at Wolves’ level, let alone Arsenal or Chelsea. As I said before, West Ham and Everton have better squads too.

Leicester’s squad is firmly 8th-12th territory.

GreenHeron

The same group of players who shafted Ranieri have now shafted Puel, and it is their continued briefings in the press that has created the toxic atmosphere at home games. Bad as yesterday's result was, I think the guy's been badly treated and that the issue lies in the dressing room.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Surprised it took this long, they have a good team that should be doing a bit better. It does seem like some players don't enjoy playing under him too, so it was only a matter of when and not if he was getting sacked. Will be interesting to see who they bring in though.

They’re not even close to being at Wolves’ level, let alone Arsenal or Chelsea. As I said before, West Ham and Everton have better squads too.

Leicester’s squad is firmly 8th-12th territory.
No way does Everton have a better squad, they have a better defence, better midfield and a better striker. Everton are a very unbalanced team, most of their players wouldn't make it into a top 6 team.