Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

Fosu-Mens

She appears as a looming symbol of unwanted change. There are a *lot* of folks out there, who despise nothing more than that, change, especially among right-wing reactionary types.
Then they will get some more drastic and unwanted change 10 years down the line unless they have the economical ability to move somewhere less changed.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Global warming is going to do exactly what the reactionary right wants. The richer countries in the north will not be directly impacted to a great degree, but an increasingly desperate situation in poorer southern countries will lead to increasing numbers of refugees heading to the richer countries. Culture clash will intensify, welfare states and democracy will be strained, society will harden, and the right will point and say "we told you immigration would lead to this."

They don't want to live in a good world, they want to live in a world where they can hate others and feel superior.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don’t understand it. It’s fine to disagree with her, and you can easily comprehend why someone who has believed something all their lives is confronted with a different reality doesn’t like what she says - but just ignore her then. Why the hate? She’s a bloody child.
Perhaps it's easy to hate a person with extreme/radical outlook irrespective of their socio-political leanings. And in a way, comments from Macron etc about her not understanding or trying to oversimplify a complex issue, holds true too. Disdain is turned into hate by extreme people of other side of spectrum. Personal attacks unfortunately are part and parcel of the political climate she now operates in.

And Times POTY is a joke anyway. They gave it to Putin over Al Gore. And current Runner's up for Greta include Trump and Pelosi, ffs!

caid

Perhaps it's easy to hate a person with extreme/radical outlook irrespective of their socio-political leanings. And in a way, comments from Macron etc about her not understanding or trying to oversimplify a complex issue, holds true too. Disdain is turned into hate by extreme people of other side of spectrum. Personal attacks unfortunately are part and parcel of the political climate she now operates in.

And Times POTY is a joke anyway. They gave it to Putin over Al Gore. And current Runner's up for Greta include Trump and Pelosi, ffs!
It is simple though. Macron and others are complicating it because the solution is inconvenient

She appears as a looming symbol of unwanted change. There are a *lot* of folks out there, who despise nothing more than that, change, especially among right-wing reactionary types.
She appears as a petulant child, just as you would expect a 16 year old girl to. We need to provide a platform for experts with solutions, not kids throwing tantrums.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
She appears as a petulant child, just as you would expect a 16 year old girl to. We need to provide a platform for experts with solutions, not kids throwing tantrums.
Well, quite a few associations of experts have already congratulated her activism because it increases the visibility of their work in a way they couldn't do themselves.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Such a platform would be the scientific community where nowadays 99% of scientists agree that we're doing way too little and will exponentially see drastic impact within the next decades. Btw. these scientists weren't in hiding or anything and their platform was pretty much accessible to everyone. Too bad that political decision makers have overly been guys like Macron or EAP with their heads so deep up in corporations rectum and into neoliberal values like "growth" that these experts were more or less throughout ignored. And given that the "pragmatic" and "rational" way has failed to deliver accordingly for decades now it is about time that emotions become part of norm setting. But it's no surprise that patriarchic conservative circles loath the idea of the voice of a young girl becoming popular so they respond in their classic reactionary way by discrediting her as petulant and the youth in general as spoilt. Yawn.

caid

I don't believe it is. It's not a snap your fingers and problems will go away problem. Plus I don't believe we can fix "climate change". We just fix the underlying factors (overpopulation, fossil fuel use) etc and those aren't simple.
The american government can stop giving Exxon Mobil 4bn a year. Theres a really simple solution towards fixing one of your problems. Theres hundreds more really simple, obvious solutions that could be changed. Macron is the exact person who could be making them changes and his excuse not to is total nonsense.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This so called petulant child has done far far more to raise the profile of man made climate change than all those scientists.
At least she can look at herself in the mirror with a clear concience.
Can you?

Tarrou

That platform has existed for a long time. Scientists all agree we need to take action, but not enough people care/believed it to do so.

What we need is action, first and foremost.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Experts have been ignored for decades. Greta is mobilizing people. Do you want results or talk?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Both are being ignored for 'complicated' reasons, so it doesn't really matter
So true.
I presume both forms of activism have their uses. Just that, I listen to Al Gore, I get a sense of him making a reasonable argument. I tend give less credence to just loud voices. I believe lots of folks got better educated on this issue due to Gore.

Experts have been ignored for decades. Greta is mobilizing people. Do you want results or talk?
What results has she given? I don't see a single solution or policy that's come from her involvement, just some people that got to feel good about themselves and a kid who is probably going to be screwed up for the rest of her life.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What results has she given? I don't see a single solution or policy that's come from her involvement, just some people that got to feel good about themselves and a kid who is probably going to be screwed up for the rest of her life.
Young people (many teenagers and younger) all over the world admire her and have taken an interest and a stand regarding this issue. As they become voters politicians will have to provide answers for them. No amount of scientists in the last decades have done this.

Of course it's not just Greta alone, but you get the point.

Cait Sith

For the "young generation" she is merely another social media star and the Friday's demonstrations are a nice get-together event.

The so called "Millennials" are the worst. I don't have Instagram but my wife does (she is in her early twenties), albeit not being active, she has all her former school friends there. Literally all the girls (in particular) are travelling non-stop by plane. Paris, Turkey, New York, Maledives, Thailand, you name it. I'm not THAT much older but I don't remember students flying across the world non-stop being a thing 20 years ago or so. Of course they take their selfies with the newest iPhones, post about their newest Amazon binge deliveries (half of the stuff probably getting sent back) etc.

This is so ingrained in "Millennials", even the German version of Greta, Luisa N., had to delete all her travel photos (a lot) from her Instagram account.

It's all a big event and the majority of the followers are sheep. Herd mentality. For the press it's a great topic, can chew on it forever.

Young people (many teenagers and younger) all over the world admire her and have taken an interest and a stand regarding this issue. As they become voters politicians will have to provide answers for them. No amount of scientists in the last decades have done this.

Of course it's not just Greta alone, but you get the point.
Politicians already take it seriously. The problem is nobody knows the answers, we barely know the question. She doesn't change that one bit, and she is not somebody we should be looking to for it. She's great for clicks and follows but she'll be forgotten by this time next year.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Millenials - the jetsetting generation (also, the only generation in a century to likely be poorer than their parents). And, AND, and the little feckers even have the temerity to own phones!

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Politicians already take it seriously. The problem is nobody knows the answers, we barely know the question. She doesn't change that one bit, and she is not somebody we should be looking to for it. She's great for clicks and follows but she'll be forgotten by this time next year.
I don't think they do take it seriously. I think most take seriously what gives them votes. Greta and others like her are creating an environment where taking action against climate change gives you votes, so they will take action because of that.

Old scientists and the Gores of the world, while they are important, don't contribute much to that environment, but angry teens/youth protesting on the streets does.

Portugal is a micro-cosmos of this and for what I read, the same is happening in other countries. Portuguese classical parties never really cared for the environment because most people didn't care. Just in the last 4-5 years, we now have an environmentalist party in parliament for the first time, we have polls saying that people between 16-24 have climate change as their number one political issue, we have more and more protests in Lisbon, we have hundreds greeting Greta when her boat arrived, politicians greeting her and now surprise surprise, all parties talk a lot about climate change. And this didn't happen because kids listened to Al Gore and scientists, it happened because of protests on the streets, action in schools and angry teens/youth upsetting the daily life of older people.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If we hadn't been ignoring and dismissing experts for decades she wouldn't need to tell us what a bunch of cnuts we are.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
She isn't speaking to you because she knows you have no interest in her message. If you can't see how her message is resonating with younger people then it's simply because you're choosing not to look. I've just done a bit of research among 4,000 folks in the UK which had a big environmental slant, and the influence of her message among the youngest generation is striking. Maybe it's worth trying to look at it from their perspective, before making such sweeping generalisations on this petulant little girl?

Or maybe you can see she's having an impact and it's precisely the fact that this petulant little girl is capable of having an impact that annoys you. The world's gone mad, paying attention to voices you don't value.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If we hadn't been ignoring and dismissing experts for decades she wouldn't need to tell us what a bunch of cnuts we are.
Not sure about that.
You see, many people distrust experts in the same way that they distrust everything else.
There was a need for someone else to bring this hugely complex but hugely vital subject to our attention.

And for that, she has done a remarkable job.
In particular she has mobilised the most important sector; the young across the world who are inheriting our mess.

These are the future consumers and we can already see how businesses are trying to change to appeal to them.

Is she petulant. Not in my opinion. She is increasingly frustrated with the lack of global progress.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
People don't like being told what to do - they especially don't like to be told what to do by a kid. That's why she gets so much abuse. It's pathetic if you ask me and all down to people's fragile ego's.

NinjaFletch

For the "young generation" she is merely another social media star and the Friday's demonstrations are a nice get-together event.

The so called "Millennials" are the worst. I don't have Instagram but my wife does (she is in her early twenties), albeit not being active, she has all her former school friends there. Literally all the girls (in particular) are travelling non-stop by plane. Paris, Turkey, New York, Maledives, Thailand, you name it. I'm not THAT much older but I don't remember students flying across the world non-stop being a thing 20 years ago or so. Of course they take their selfies with the newest iPhones, post about their newest Amazon binge deliveries (half of the stuff probably getting sent back) etc.

This is so ingrained in "Millennials", even the German version of Greta, Luisa N., had to delete all her travel photos (a lot) from her Instagram account.

It's all a big event and the majority of the followers are sheep. Herd mentality. For the press it's a great topic, can chew on it forever.
If your wife is in her early 20s and you're a bit older she's not a millennial and you are.

Soz.

Last edited: