Clinton vs. Fox... you have to see this

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm glad he showed some balls. His interview on Meet the Press was pretty good too. Him and Hillary back in the White House would make for interesting times indeed.

Suedesi

Yeah, I miss having a President that could actually speak intelligibly as opposed to one that speaks in sound bites and malpropisms.

Wallace was schooled.

kkcbl

Plechazunga said:
Is this the one where he goes, "I tried to fight terror but I failed, alright! better to have tried and failed than, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"
He was lambasted for failing to get Osama - has Bush got the latter?

kkcbl

Wallace wore a smirk - so does Bush ever so often - is it a Republican thing? The same as a British Public schoolboy 'stiff upper lip' thing?

Bearded but no genius

Plechazunga said:
Is this the one where he goes, "I tried to fight terror but I failed, alright! better to have tried and failed than, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"
Yes, he also weaves an hilarious conspiracy theory about ABC tv, FOX, and the secret man behind the Right Wing Conspiracy (TM).

Of course the nutters on here see it as a triumph of reason and logic.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Plechazunga said:
I love Clinton. Reckon if I met him, I'd probably agree to do anything he asked, short of letting him bum me with a cigar
My all time favourite prez...

Suedesi

jasonrh said:
Yes, he also weaves an hilarious conspiracy theory about ABC tv, FOX, and the secret man behind the Right Wing Conspiracy (TM).

Of course the nutters on here see it as a triumph of reason and logic.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I loved it where the interviewer tried to back off and talk about the stuff Clinton came on the show to talk about but Clinton doesn't let him and continues to nail him good and proper. Rather entertaining.

Stamford Bridge

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already mad
The interviewer was rubbish, but it was quite clear that not dealing with Al Qaeda before 9/11 was largely Clinton, and not Bush's big mistake. When Bush came in his administration was still largely hung up over the "chad" issue to pay any real attention to Al Qaeda.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Clinton's administration could have done more but as he said he was held back by the CIA and miltary who didn't want to take such action, only partly for operational reasons.

He himself thinks that given 20/20 hindsight, more should have been done. Which doesn't hide the fact that the Republicans did even less until shocked into action by 9/11

Clinton was far from perfect but an order of magnitude better than the current incumbent. I believe that this administration will go down as the most incompetent in history with Iraq first and foremost in the list of incompetencies. Virtually abandoning the hunt for Bin Laden in Afghanistan in favor of Iraq, which was neither factualy linked to Al Quaida nor in possesion of WMDs (even if I suspect a few minor chemical/biological weapons were moved to e.g. Syria) with the resultant farce of a "peace", was a really stupid thing to do. The Bush administration has not only spent a huge amount of US cash and lost thousands of its own troops lives, but it has done more to promote and encourage fanatical militant Islam than Bin Laden could ever have done by himself. The lack of understanding of the Middle East and in particular the culture/religion/mentality of the area is truly staggering.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
All of these politicians love to point fingers and play the blame game, as to who did or didn't do enough to stop terrorism.

It was nice to see Clinton expose Fox News as being the biased fraud that it is.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Wibble said:
Clinton's administration could have done more but as he said he was held back by the CIA and miltary who didn't want to take such action, only partly for operational reasons.

He himself thinks that given 20/20 hindsight, more should have been done. Which doesn't hide the fact that the Republicans did even less until shocked into action by 9/11

Clinton was far from perfect but an order of magnitude better than the current incumbent. I believe that this administration will go down as the most incompetent in history with Iraq first and foremost in the list of incompetencies. Virtually abandoning the hunt for Bin Laden in Afghanistan in favor of Iraq, which was neither factualy linked to Al Quaida nor in possesion of WMDs (even if I suspect a few minor chemical/biological weapons were moved to e.g. Syria) with the resultant farce of a "peace", was a really stupid thing to do. The Bush administration has not only spent a huge amount of US cash and lost thousands of its own troops lives, but it has done more to promote and encourage fanatical militant Islam than Bin Laden could ever have done by himself. The lack of understanding of the Middle East and in particular the culture/religion/mentality of the area is truly staggering.
Absolutely.

Well said...

FresnoBob

Wibble said:
Bush wasn't inaugurated until the 20th of January, then had to spend several months getting his cabinet/advisors approved, installed, and up to speed, so his administration's window of opportunity to do something about bin Laden or terrorism was far less than the 8 3/4 months that elapsed between the oath of office and the attack on the World Trade Center. Trying to assign blame to Dubya for inactivity in the international anti-terrorism/covert operations area during that period of time is a bit of overreaching.

What he and his crew have managed to screw up since then is another issue.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
FresnoBob said:
Bush wasn't inaugurated until the 20th of January, then had to spend several months getting his cabinet/advisors approved, installed, and up to speed, so his administration's window of opportunity to do something about bin Laden or terrorism was far less than the 8 3/4 months that elapsed between the oath of office and the attack on the World Trade Center. Trying to assign blame to Dubya for inactivity in the international anti-terrorism/covert operations area during that period of time is a bit of overreaching.

True that there is always a settling in period but the point is more that many of the Republicans now trying to blame Clinton were trying to get him to spend less, not more, on such projects and contributed to the lack of will to take further actions. To now turn round and say Clinton should have done more when they were urging him to do less is a bit silly.

In any case the real criticism should be reserved for what they have done rather than for what they didn't.

Bearded but no genius

The settling in period was even more rough for Bush than most presidents, because in fits of childishness, the outgoing Clinton team refused to do a proper transition - they basically told Bush's incoming staff to shove it up their arses.

Very professional. I did not have military operations with that man, Mr. Bin Laden.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
every incoming president is judged on their 1st 100 days. wtf did Bush do during his time - order new carpets for the white house?
I think he was too busy having secret energy policy meetings that would presumably benefit his oil buddies than chasing after Bin Laden.

As the 1st airplance crashed into the world trade center he was in a Florida classroom teaching Jason how to read. soon after, he was hiding under Jason skirt for 3 days.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
Clinton put it right. He didn't hold a single meeting on bin Laden for 9 months.

kkcbl

FresnoBob said:

And he spent a lot of that settling in period on holiday.

He was warned, albeit not 'in explicit, black & white terms' he seems to suggest, so it's not that he was ignorant of the threat of Osama & co...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The problem with the interview is that Chris Wallace is a bit of a pushover. It would've been fun to see Clinton do that to Brit Hume.

Suedesi

jasonrh said:
The settling in period was even more rough for Bush than most presidents, because in fits of childishness, the outgoing Clinton team refused to do a proper transition - they basically told Bush's incoming staff to shove it up their arses.

Very professional. I did not have military operations with that man, Mr. Bin Laden.
You're absolutely right. Here's the Secretary of State Rice ripping Clinton for not leaving a plan to fight Al Qaeda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cTmB44mIJ8

and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmXCviuYZ4

nickm