Clive Tydesley replaced as main ITV commentator

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Found his video on twitter abit cringey and pathetic watching him basically cry about it. I like his commentary and he's great at his job so i do feel for him abit.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Surely, surely he could’ve held out for better than that?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
He'll be working Jamie Carragher on CBS's Champions League coverage next season.

Chairman Steve

Surely we could have got him if he went to Rangers TV. Thats probably a temporary gig right? It seems like a ‘doing a quick favour for a mate’ move

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Paddy Crerand forever.
Is it Stewart Gardner who does MUTV commentary? I find him incredibly underwhelming. When Utd post goals on the Twitter account it's always ruined a bit by MUTV commentary.

Suedesi

He was doing the CL final commentary on CBS - he such a tart. In the middle of the game he starts to explain what pressing means, presumably because Americans don't know what it is, so good old Clive spends like an entire minute going over it. Then he explains how it's the last game for Thiago at PSG and the last game for Thiago at Bayern. I had to switch to Univision with Spanish feed, and I don't even speak Spanish.

It's a CL final, people who're watching it, know what the feck pressing is. Just call the name of the player with the ball, is that too hard to fecking do?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Notice he has been relegated further and didn’t even have a slot for the quarter finals, behind Jon Champion and Sam Matterface.

I really do not understand this. Even at these finals it’s clear he’s their best commentator. Sam Matterface is really not that great at all. Everyone seems to agree but ITV are going even further the other way.

Poor treatment of one of the GOAT commentators or fair enough?

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Notice he has been relegated further and didn’t even have a slot for the quarter finals, behind Jon Champion and Sam Matterface.

I really do not understand this. Even at these finals it’s clear he’s their best commentator. Sam Matterface is really not that great at all. Everyone seems to agree but ITV are going even further the other way.

Poor treatment of one of the GOAT commentators or fair enough?
Its poor form. He was highly recognised and these changes can really take away the feeling of a supporter when watching these games. His voice is unique and will be missed in my view.

2 man midfield

The hardon ITV have for Matterface is really bizarre. Not only does he have an irritating voice, he’s not very good at describing what’s actually going on, and is a bit of a knob to boot. “We needed Gary Lineker, we got Chris waddle.” Tit.

Sylar

Matterface sounds like somebody reading pre-rehearsed lines.
tydesley > matterface seems to be the one universal agreement people watching (and listening) have ... except for the ITV bosses.

Chairman Steve

ITV have a weird track record about pushing people that the public don’t really connect with. I remember everyone used to hate Adrian Chiles and now Sam Matterface getting beaten over the top for everyone.

I’ve said it before in that general commentator thread but he gives off the impression that hes trying way too hard to get that snappy memorable one-liner or soundbite that will go down in football pop culture like ‘They think it’s all over’ or ‘Remember the name’. I get this vision that he spends all day before the match writing down things that sound good on paper but don’t reel off in a live commentary, and then it’s a case of ‘How do I work this in? I have to get it out someway because I think it’s cool/clever’

And then you have Lee Dixon who has the demeanour like he was just dragged in from a family wake. I don’t know why colour commentators have to be this dour, irreverent, almost snarky demeanour. I blame Mark Lawrenson for it when he was doing it for BBC, because Danny Murphy has basically become a Lawro regen in terms of commentary. You can take or leave Ally McCoist but at least he seems excited and hyped up to watch the game.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Anyone but Matterface. The guy is so desperate not to have any silence that he just rabbits on and on and on. He's shocking and has zero chemistry with Dixon.

Jonno

I can't help but think there's an element of nostalgia in the praise of Tyldesley and criticism of Matterface.

Matterface whilst not the finished product, whilst making the odd mistake and quoting the bad line, comes across as well-researched, prepared and has good balance to his commentary.

Me, being a 35 year old man who supports Man United, will always love Tyldesley. But commentators can become a little out of touch and regress. I remember it happening with Motson, its happened with Tyler and I believe its happened with Tyldesley to an extent.

2 man midfield

ITV have a weird track record about pushing people that the public don’t really connect with. I remember everyone used to hate Adrian Chiles and now Sam Matterface getting beaten over the top for everyone.

I’ve said it before in that general commentator thread but he gives off the impression that hes trying way too hard to get that snappy memorable one-liner or soundbite that will go down in football pop culture like ‘They think it’s all over’ or ‘Remember the name’. I get this vision that he spends all day before the match writing down things that sound good on paper but don’t reel off in a live commentary, and then it’s a case of ‘How do I work this in? I have to get it out someway because I think it’s cool/clever’

And then you have Lee Dixon who has the demeanour like he was just dragged in from a family wake. I don’t know why colour commentators have to be this dour, irreverent, almost snarky demeanour. I blame Mark Lawrenson for it when he was doing it for BBC, because Danny Murphy has basically become a Lawro regen in terms of commentary. You can take or leave Ally McCoist but at least he seems excited and hyped up to watch the game.
:lol:

El Zoido

Yeah I said the same thing about Matterface in the WC commentary thread, these attempts at grandios soundbytes feel so forced, it’s so obvious he’s doing it. It makes him pretty much unbearable to listen to.

RopersReturn

Because ITV are tv’s equivalent of the Daily Star. Really wished the Beeb had exclusive broadcast rights as far as the England WC Euro games are concerned in future.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The hardon ITV have for Matterface is really bizarre. Not only does he have an irritating voice, he’s not very good at describing what’s actually going on, and is a bit of a knob to boot. “We needed Gary Lineker, we got Chris waddle.” Tit.
Or his classic "that shot was about as weak as a ....... glass of..... Orange squash which is 52 parts water, and half a part...... squash" but he said it in a really weird Alan Partridge style

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Or his classic "that shot was about as weak as a ....... glass of..... Orange squash which is 52 parts water, and half a part...... squash" but he said it in a really weird Alan Partridge style
Last night “Messi made that pass v Holland through an area where you couldn’t even have got a phone signal!”

Brophs

The One and Only
Lost Natalie Sawyer, gained a job his talent should never have allowed him to be in.

Circle of life.