Clive Tydesley replaced as main ITV commentator

Bojan11

Clive Tyldesley is stepping down as ITV’s lead football commentator after 22 years in the position. Tyldesley, who joined from the BBC as an understudy to Brian Moore in 1996, will be replaced by Sam Matterface, but will continue to work with the station.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...football-mic-after-clive-tyldesley-steps-down

He’s not very happy about it. Sad as like many others here we grew up listening to Clives voice on our big European games.

Judas

Open to offers
He's still the voice of the CL and major tournaments to me. It's been such a shame how little we've heard him over the last few years, a total waste of a brilliant talent.

Siorac

You know, as a non-UK person, I've never actually seen his face before.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Seems like ITV are trying to freshen things up, I feel sorry for him though as I don't think he didn't anything wrong to be demoted.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Strange decision by itv. Replacing him with somebody like Peter Drury (who doesn't annoy me as much as he once did) would have made some sense. Replacing him with Sam Matterface isn't the decision I would have made had it been mine.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Shame for him but, on the flip side, he's had a great job for a long time and every now and then it's good to shake things up.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I like him. Just one of those commentators I’ve grown up with and I’ve always found him to be a good commentator. He’ll be missed.

Who are they replacing him with? And why can’t Sky get rid of Tyler?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His voice was synonymous with the Champions League growing up. I wasn't a huge fan of his style, but his voice is iconic in British sports broadcasting IMO.

Donald Silverbridge

What a shame for him, Sam Matterface will be his replacement, I'm not a fan of him to be honest, As for Clive Tyldesley, He will always be remembered for his ''AND SOLSKJAER HAS WON IT!!!!! moment.

Siorac

I like him. Just one of those commentators I’ve grown up with and I’ve always found him to be a good commentator. He’ll be missed.

Who are they replacing him with? And why can’t Sky get rid of Tyler?
I assume they don't want to.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Strange decision by itv. Replacing him with somebody like Peter Drury (who doesn't annoy me as much as he once did) would have made some sense. Replacing him with Sam Matterface isn't the decision I would have made had it been mine.
Ah Sam Matterface is shite!

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Has been taking EA money for years so feck him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Meh ITV stopped being relevant for club football when they lost the UCL rights, Tydesley's such an iconic voice though surprised he wasn't picked up by BT sport years ago

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hate modern day commentators, just a voice with no knowledge of the players they are commentating on. More interested in telling everyone what they have been doing in their personal life than telling us what is happening on the pitch.

CallyRed

He has has been struck with the BBC Radio 2 syndrome.

Sam Matterface comes across as a bit of a smug prick tbh. Plus he is a Chelsea fan

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Companies are just starting to ease out the elderly. Same thing happened to Tiff Needell on Fifth Gear. I suppose it seems a bit weirder because you don't see his face but perhaps they think people have become too familiar with it and want to freshen things up?

He seems genuinely upset by the decision too and from the sound of it didn't get much say. I'm surprised he's staying on as a co-commentator.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think after releasing that he'd be lucky to be #2. It's up to ITV to decide who they want as their #1.

I've never particularly liked his commentary. He doesn't even seem to understand the game very well at times.

OL29

I always associate him with Champions League matches on ITV back in the day. His commentary for Rooney’s hat trick goal on his debut is iconic to me.

At 1.25 (excuse the quality)

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I really like him so that’s a shame. I really hope he moves to Sky or BT, I would be happy.

SiRed

Beckham, in towards Schmeichel, its come for Dwight Yorke, cleared, Giggs with the shot.. SHERINGHAM........................................... Name ON the trophy.

Legend