Club Ownership | INEOS responsible for the football side

positive summer, just no transfers

everyone could see that coming, not being able to secure a sporting director in time for a crucial transfer window is major feck up

Says a guy who said Ole is signing for Beşiktaş.

The guy has no info

Waiting till after the last match of the season to begin is bad. There is no due dilligence angle to spin this. Its bad and smells like Jim and Brailsford at Nice.
As I said, the sooner we get Ashword, and him Berrada and Wilcox start runing things without the interference of Jim and Brailsford the better.

To begin what? Are you suggesting they should be interviewing candidates during the season? How would that work exactly with managers still in jobs?

I'm still none the wiser as to what you think the club have actually done wrong. The season is over, a process of reviewing the manager's performance is being undertaken and so far the club has made no comment, whilst obviously (as any club would) looking at alternative options.

Meanwhile, the press, as usual are speculating to generate clicks on nonsense twitter posts that basically confirm they know nothing concrete at all.

To begin what? Are you suggesting they should be interviewing candidates during the season? How would that work exactly with managers still in jobs?

I'm still none the wiser as to what you think the club have actually done wrong. The season is over, a process of reviewing the manager's performance is being undertaken and so far the club has made no comment, whilst obviously (as any club would) looking at alternative options.

Meanwhile, the press, as usual are speculating to generate clicks on nonsense twitter posts that basically confirm they know nothing concrete at all.

They should have decided upon whether to stick with Ten hag or not before interviewing other candidates.

Are you saying the Athletic are spouting nonsense for clicks?

But this is what I think is happening.

If we were during Woodward reign, we would have sacked ETH bought, some Dybala and given Bruno and maguire new contracts to protect their value.

People need to chill out, people are expecting absolute cut throat decisions on a 600M income generating business is abit misguided.

Ratcliffe, Brailsford, Blanc have exercised extreme restrain in how they have conducted themselves, which is absolutely different from other regimes.
Is it too slow, yes, to how we were used to.
Is everything written on blogs, true about how Ineos conducts itself.. Absolutely no.

We need to see out the coming months, then we will be absolutely perfect.

Just for perspective

Compare Ineos handling vs Chelsea new owners handling..
Ineos have been very restrained while Chelsea owners have been all over the place.
Yes, I hope and think you are probably right.

But this is what I think is happening.

If we were during Woodward reign, we would have sacked ETH bought, some Dybala and given Bruno and maguire new contracts to protect their value.

People need to chill out, people are expecting absolute cut throat decisions on a 600M income generating business is abit misguided.

Ratcliffe, Brailsford, Blanc have exercised extreme restrain in how they have conducted themselves, which is absolutely different from other regimes.
Is it too slow, yes, to how we were used to.
Is everything written on blogs, true about how Ineos conducts itself.. Absolutely no.

We need to see out the coming months, then we will be absolutely perfect.

Just for perspective

Compare Ineos handling vs Chelsea new owners handling..
Ineos have been very restrained while Chelsea owners have been all over the place.
There's a fine line between being very restrained and dithering.

Fortunately, I feel the majority of players will only be willing to sort their futures upon commencement of the Olympics/Euros.

If they had put in a HoR they wouldn’t have to worry about Ashworth starting later
Would you not want Ashworth to be part of the process of hiring the HoR? Or is the HoR a temp position until he starts?

He could give input indirectly
Sounds pretty amateur and flakey? You’d think the process of hiring a HoR that will be reporting directly to Ashworth and a critical position in the club would have quite a long and detailed recruitment process lead by Ashworth himself.

Sounds pretty amateur and flakey? You’d think the process of hiring a HoR that will be reporting directly to Ashworth and a critical position in the club would have quite a long and detailed recruitment process lead by Ashworth himself.
Whilst normally I’d agree, this is exceptional times. A good football structure should have a good idea who the best HoR are. In fact quite a few were named early in the year, but it’s all gone quiet. Maybe they thought Wilcox would be able to do it all until D.A came onboard but at the moment the impression is that they are waiting for him to finish gardening leave.

From Athletic...:annoyed:
United failed in an 11th-hour attempt to persuade Tosin Adarabioyo to join as a free agent, with the 26-year-old already committed to joining Chelsea.

Last edited:
This is now officially bonkers and reflects really badly on the new group. The decision process should have centred on ten Hag in/out first. The rest later. Sounding out candidates and interviewing before firing ten Hag is a joke. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were trying get him to resign without having to pay quite as much.

This is now officially bonkers and reflects really badly on the new group. The decision process should have centred on ten Hag in/out first. The rest later. Sounding out candidates and interviewing before firing ten Hag is a joke. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were trying get him to resign without having to pay quite as much.

That has been mentioned in the press.

This is now officially bonkers and reflects really badly on the new group. The decision process should have centred on ten Hag in/out first. The rest later. Sounding out candidates and interviewing before firing ten Hag is a joke.

It's not a great look, but I actually don't agree. Sacking Ten Haag and then realising that we're not so keen on the other options would have ultimately been worse.

Judging the manager the already have against the other options makes more sense. The only problem is timing - it should have been done sooner and not dragged out for so long once the season ended.

It's just not a good look. For whats meant to be a fresh start. It might as well be Woodward and his buddies in Sir Jim and his buddies masks.

Lads, relax. I think they are taking a "First do no harm" approach - Ineos have not pissed away any money yet, haven't handed out any bumper new contracts, and haven't rushed into any big decisions. Talking to prospective managers, ok it's not nice for ETH, but fundamentally it changes nothing. I think Ratcliffe & Brailsford recognise that they are not the people to make the call on the manager, Berrada & Ashworth (plus Wilcox) should own that, but how can they have a true view on it until they have actually worked first hand on the ground with ETH.

Woodward & Co absolutely hamstrung the club from an FFP perspective with their contract dealings and recruitment. Ineos are obviously being very cautious with every penny they spend, across every area of the club, playing and non-playing. Ultimately yes this is in their business interests, but it also fundamentally should provide more headroom to spend down the line. This incorporates not paying out to sack a manager, and haggling on a fee to reduce gardening leave for Ashworth.

The decision in my eyes that is currently most problematic is to go with Ashworth at all costs, including waiting for him for as long as it takes, maybe at the expense of this summer's window...but I have to respect that they are willing to be patient if they view him as the best option. Just being realistic, this summer is going to be messy.

Lads, relax. I think they are taking a "First do no harm" approach - Ineos have not pissed away any money yet, haven't handed out any bumper new contracts, and haven't rushed into any big decisions. Talking to prospective managers, ok it's not nice for ETH, but fundamentally it changes nothing. I think Ratcliffe & Brailsford recognise that they are not the people to make the call on the manager, Berrada & Ashworth (plus Wilcox) should own that, but how can they have a true view on it until they have actually worked first hand on the ground with ETH.

Woodward & Co absolutely hamstrung the club from an FFP perspective with their contract dealings and recruitment. Ineos are obviously being very cautious with every penny they spend, across every area of the club, playing and non-playing. Ultimately yes this is in their business interests, but it also fundamentally should provide more headroom to spend down the line. This incorporates not paying out to sack a manager, and haggling on a fee to reduce gardening leave for Ashworth.

The decision in my eyes that is currently most problematic is to go with Ashworth at all costs, including waiting for him for as long as it takes, maybe at the expense of this summer's window...but I have to respect that they are willing to be patient if they view him as the best option. Just being realistic, this summer is going to be messy.

This post doesn't make sense.

If you think they want Barrada and Ashworth to make the call, why carry out a review when they are not in the position? Why interview candidates when they are not there?

So you think its okay to have such uncertainty until no one knows. Because Berrada joins mid july and Ashworth we dont know when.

We cannot wait for Ashworth to be in place before deciding on the manager, that could be September, or even 2025...

Absolute shambles so far. Started off well with some personnel appointments. But this ETH thing is dragging on way too long and way too publicly undermining everyone in the process.

I honestly dont understand why they are still chasing Dan Ashworth after all this time, it was made clear in early February that Newcastle would not let him come unless we paid an extortianate fee so we should have walked away then and and switched to other targets instead of spending time on drawn out chase for Ashworth that might not even be sorted in time for the January window never mind this one.

We need to sharpen up pronto, otherwise we're going to struggle this summer with the Olympics/Euros
Yeah I doubt we're doing anything at all before the euros end. Then it'll either be a mad rush and signing the wrong players and/or overpaying or not doing anything at all. The silver lining though is that we've seen it all before... Nothing we're not used to :annoyed:

It makes a lot of sense to continue with Ten Hag for another year, given the circumstances.
  • We clearly won't have the right people in place to jointly make a timely decision on the coach
  • The uncertainty over the coach is slowly affecting the market for us
  • These players actually play for this manager, and I believe it won't be as bad as this past year
  • We will have all the new people in place for next season, and if Ten Hag turns it around, maybe he won't have to be sacked
  • The choice of alternatives seems to be picking the best from the worst bunch out there
  • It will give the new structure time to better prepare transfers, coach replacements etc
Right now, I have a feeling that it will be a forced decision on a lot of big calls.

Quite obvious based on all of INEOS' current actions, this is clearly the most likely reason.

positive summer, just no transfers

everyone could see that coming, not being able to secure a sporting director in time for a crucial transfer window is major feck up

This is Rob Dawson though, the same guy that told us OGS was going to be the new Besiktas manager and was wrong.

I honestly dont understand why they are still chasing Dan Ashworth after all this time, it was made clear in early February that Newcastle would not let him come unless we paid an extortianate fee so we should have walked away then and and switched to other targets instead of spending time on drawn out chase for Ashworth that might not even be sorted in time for the January window never mind this one.

I think they thought Newcastle would buckle in time for him to be in place before the summer but underestimated the Saudi's determination not to be made to look weak

This post doesn't make sense.

If you think they want Barrada and Ashworth to make the call, why carry out a review when they are not in the position? Why interview candidates when they are not there?

So you think its okay to have such uncertainty until no one knows. Because Berrada joins mid july and Ashworth we dont know when.

We cannot wait for Ashworth to be in place before deciding on the manager, that could be September, or even 2025...

They've been in place for around 4-5 months - some review of the season is normal and I think they'd see it as part of due diligence to know what the available candidates are like - if one was a Pep level candidate they may have felt that we need to act now. But who really knows the content of those conversations?

I'm not saying they'll wait for Ashworth necessarily before making a call, just that I can see why they don't want to make the call without either of Berrada or Ashworth in place, as the two most senior football people. Put yourselves in their position - Our CEO starts in July, DoF maybe Sept or later, and both need time to bed in. We have a manager (a good one, despite the noise) with a year on his deal. Why would we sack that manager without knowing for sure there is a gold standard replacement available on the market now. Ineos would be asking Wilcox essentially to make the call, before his boss and his bosses boss start in their jobs, it just wouldn't seem to make sense given what they have said about recruiting from top down.

I don't mean for this to be an Ineos defense, as I will be skeptical of their ability to turn this around until we see some actual results in the form of recruitment and results . I'm only saying that from the outside I can generally understand the logic of what they are doing (with the Ashworth delay being the major question mark I have right now).

You would of thought with PFF and loads of teams needing to sell by June 30th we would be putting some pressure on some clubs right now. e.g. Everton.

You would of thought with PFF and loads of teams needing to sell by June 30th we would be putting some pressure on some clubs right now. e.g. Everton.

I think we have to take what is reported with a pinch of salt.

I see this every year where its Barca or any other club, we see headlines stating x,y,z club need to sell by 30th June or they breach, yet hardly ever does a club breach it and then its all fine.

They somehow without selling manage to be fine. I suspect Villa, Newcastle, Chelsea, Everton wont sell by then and be fine.

If they had a clear vision of how they wanted the team to play they'd have sacked Ten Hag and identified a new coach by now. They don't have a clue, making it up as they go along just like Avram and Joel. Be very afraid folks.

Yeah the lack of planning looks a huge red flag

Absolute shambles so far. Started off well with some personnel appointments. But this ETH thing is dragging on way too long and way too publicly undermining everyone in the process.

Couldn't have put it any better myself