Club Ownership | INEOS responsible for the football side

jesperjaap

You just said you’d spend £180m on 3 best young talents in Europe but then say you’d despair at signing 3 premier league talents, who by your expected fees would also cost £180m?
Yes,sorry, what I meantby saying that isI think £180m could by far better options than those three around Europe this summer

jesperjaap

The Glazers are made up of separate entities they aren’t one and if reports are believed they don’t all view it the same - either way SJR is the clubs single biggest shareholder and legally/contractually the football side is his and nothing to do with them.

So simply stating the Glazers retain the majority isn’t strictly true.
Come on now, they really arent separate entitiesat all

Bright_Eyes

They seem to have acted well in terms of backroom staff...but that isnt costly.Also, wedo need to remember the Glazers still retain majority owndership, so lets not get too excited yet.
Letsbe honest, to turn things around this summer is near impossible. There is amanager failing, 10/20 players we should be selling....8/10 signings actually needed....thats FM type work. But we will get avery good indication this summer...and for me they MUST

1) Replace the manager and have a replacement ready and working from the get go
This is difficult as who are the great options....plentyof wrong ones. Personally, want Nagelsmann

2) Move on at least 10 players...and thats sold not just loans
We really cantsee the likes of Martial, Williams and VDB still on the books,nor someof the big earners (yes Rashford) or some of our value playerslike Greenwood/SAncho getting loaned....we NEED to bring money in. Thinks it huge we finally clear some of the crap beenhere years andmost of the crap the current manager has signed....its paramount to progressing

3) Make a minimum of six signings
Sine Ferguson retired, I can count on one hand the signings I thought weregoing to be really good (somehavent been) and only a couple have plesantly surprised me...and Im just a fan. Not only has our recruitment been awful....we have over paid on nearly every single deal, significantly to. IfI see us spending the likes of £70m on braithwaite, £50m on Onana etc etc, will despair. There is an abundanceof quality young cb and MF in Europe and exciting young attaking playersand for me the best 3cost about £180m in total...if we spend a similar amount on Braitwaite, Onana andOlise for example....i despair and bar OnanaI rate them
You might wanna clean the sticky stuff from under your spacebar

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yes! Like if someone is a single parent or whatever but is shit hot and loves their job but needs to be flexible I can see the club eventually letting those people go back home / hybrid working. For now to evaluate it’s the smart play to gather everyone together
Agreed.

Stepney73

I mean, he is an old rich man who has history of making decisions to reduce worker benefits, way worse than this too. Not really a suprise.
I can’t understand comments like this.

we have one of the countries most successful people who has made his own way in life and build up a very successful business which has made it possible for him to purchase 30%(hopefully more in time)of his failing and poorly run boyhood club.
he is now bringing all that expertise into getting that said club back up to standard and he’s getting pelters for it.

if it wasn’t for him we’d have either been stuck with the Glazers or become an oil club.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yes,sorry, what I meantby saying that isI think £180m could by far better options than those three around Europe this summer
Agree with 2 of them players you mentioned but I think we should go all out for Olise, he’s the type of player and character we should be signing. He’s very talented as we witnessed on Monday night. He’ll be easy to get aswell, he won’t be fussed if we’re in the CL or not as we’re obviously bigger than his current club. I do agree that we should be scouting around Europe though, there’s tons of quality young players around Europe that we could pick up. We need to be smart and do what we use to do, look for the gems and turn them into world beaters.

diarm

I've seen why bosses do things like that when they take over as new leaders of a company. The point is to cull numbers without having to waste any time on staff assessments. For people like Ratcliffe they want to save pennies first from the previous regime's balance sheet. Only then will he put his own money in.

It is very cynical and the WFH is going to lead to talented people leaving as it is not feasible for everyone to be at the office all the time. But for the new regime it means the decision is made for them by the employee.
It’s not just cynical though is it.

If the club is overhired, bloated and inefficient - it is costing money that could be better spent on the football team.

Paying generous redundancy packages to fix the mistakes of those who went before, will take money that could be better spent on the football team.

Contrary to what Woodward and other spoofers would’ve had you believe, the long term success and viability of Manchester United (and by extension all the truly necessary jobs at the club) is dependent on what happens on the football pitch. Ratcliffe’s first responsibility lies there.

Surely people can see how an organisation which is happy to waste money at an administrative or IT or customer service level, is also an organisation that is happy to waste money on player recruitment and compensation. You don’t just pick and choose which areas to get more efficient and effective at - you aim to change the culture across the board.

diarm

Not a WFH fan I take it?
You can be a fan of WFH and still have the sense to accept there are times it isn’t the most suitable choice.

In a streamlined and well operated workplace, WFH can be every bit as productive and beneficial as traditional office working.

United hasn’t been that workplace for a long, long time.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Come on now, they really arent separate entitiesat all
They are though. That's part of the reason the deal got held up for so long. Joel and Avram are the only siblings who even want any level of involvement with the club - the other four would rather divest entirely and focus on their other ventures.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
You can be a fan of WFH and still have the sense to accept there are times it isn’t the most suitable choice.

In a streamlined and well operated workplace, WFH can be every bit as productive and beneficial as traditional office working.

Get out of here with your nuanced views. You're either with people or against them. Yarr!!! ;)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don’t give a shite where people work, personally. But if the company wants workers in the office then they should be in the office. I’d also argue they should be in Manchester not London, but that’s a separate issue I guess.
Companies of course are more than entitled to want them in the office, doesn't mean you don't get to question or criticise the reasoning and decision. We get to watch a waste of £90m nearly every week, our training facilities are out of date, we spend the most on scouting, yet our recruitment is fecking shite. Maybe fix those things before we start getting culture crusades among lower level workers.

But no one's got anything to say why WFH isn't suitable, just because we're not doing very well so that might be a reason to change something. There are far more obvious reasons why we aren't doing well as I mention above.

diarm

But no one's got anything to say why WFH isn't suitable, just because we're not doing very well so that might be a reason to change something. There are far more obvious reasons why we aren't doing well as I mention above.
I’m sensing your company has you working from home so they don’t have to talk to you.

You haven’t read the reports given on the reviews into the club structure, so you can’t say “nobody has anything to say on why it’s unsuitable”.

And besides, we’re saying it isn’t suitable while they go about fixing the broken organisation. Nobody is saying it isn’t suitable forever.

There is also nobody blaming working from home for all the clubs problems - it is merely one of countless changes being brought in to try and get things back in line.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I’m sensing your company has you working from home so they don’t have to talk to you.

You haven’t read the reports given on the reviews into the club structure, so you can’t say “nobody has anything to say on why it’s unsuitable”.

And besides, we’re saying it isn’t suitable while they go about fixing the broken organisation. Nobody is saying it isn’t suitable forever.

There is also nobody blaming working from home for all the clubs problems - it is merely one of countless changes being brought in to try and get things back in line.
:lol:. Funnily enough the majority of my team is in India and my main client is in Newport beach, so whilst it's beneficial to be in the office for some collaborative purposes, right now it's not essential. When we start implementing with the clients in London, I will be in more, because I'm client facing. Being adaptable is far more beneficial than just a blanket no. You get a wider pool of talent to recruit from and it saves you money.

I'm talking about in here. Everyone is just saying INEOS says it's the right thing to do, so it must be. Also talking in platitudes like get things back in line or we have to make changes to culture reset or whatever. I'm interested in what people think is so damaging about it as a policy? It's clearly being pointed as a contributing factor, as to that's how we fix a broken organisation by getting people back in the office.

Anyway, fair enough if you think it's what we need to get back on track. I think it so unbelievably far down the list of priorities when it comes to nearly every organization and tends to be used when people can't diagnose the real cause of bad culture.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Good decision, all these entitled home office people need to show presence, increase team spirit and contribute beyond their tasks. You get privileges if the circumstances are right
There's no way some of you have even worked with productive office workers in your life.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Companies of course are more than entitled to want them in the office, doesn't mean you don't get to question or criticise the reasoning and decision. We get to watch a waste of £90m nearly every week, our training facilities are out of date, we spend the most on scouting, yet our recruitment is fecking shite. Maybe fix those things before we start getting culture crusades among lower level workers.
Absolutely disagree.

Firstly with the hiring of Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and a recruitment expert we are addressing the issues you highlight. That is literally the first thing INEOS sorted out, and is currently on going.
Secondly it has already been reported just this week that Carrington is going to undergo a number of upgrades and changes this summer. That said I’d be surprised if it really is OOD.
Thirdly it’s also clear that INEOS are looking to clear out our poor previous signings and build a squad that is youthful, talented and hardworking. They will also address the playing style and work with their chosen head coach to inplement these changes.
Finally, speaking with experience of company management, you have to take the whole workforce with you when you embark on big changes. Implementing the high standards is just as important at the lowest levels as it is at the top of the hierarchy. It is about setting the tone moving forward and ensuring the whole enterprise is on the correct page. Ultimately it will be the rank and file workforce that carries out the changes, not the high profile execs. The required std must be enforced all the way through to deliver a consistent message - you undermine your targets if you have one rule for some and another rule for the rest. No harm
In starting out as we mean to continue.

Rightnr

It means focussing on the bottom level at this point is utterly ridiculous. It's not even based on anything apart from, "that's how we do it at INEOs". Also the top level won't be in the office anyway, they'll be fecking off to Monaco when they feel like it.
Absolutely spot on. So many people are happy to be effectively treated as peasants by their billionaire feudal lords. Just outright pathetic stuff.

They'll cut 100s of people at the bottom whose whole annual salary is probably less than the weekly equivalent of a couple of Antonys in the squad.

By all means, if they're shit at the job, get rid but do it properly. Don't try some slimy tactic or forcing people who have a life set up hundreds of kilometers away from the office, so you can save some pennies. It's just pathetic.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Absolutely disagree.

Firstly with the hiring of Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and a recruitment expert we are addressing the issues you highlight. That is literally the first thing INEOS sorted out, and is currently on going.
Secondly it has already been reported just this week that Carrington is going to undergo a number of upgrades and changes this summer. That said I’d be surprised if it really is OOD.
Thirdly it’s also clear that INEOS are looking to clear out our poor previous signings and build a squad that is youthful, talented and hardworking. They will also address the playing style and work with their chosen head coach to inplement these changes.
Finally, speaking with experience of company management, you have to take the whole workforce with you when you embark on big changes. Implementing the high standards is just as important at the lowest levels as it is at the top of the hierarchy. It is about setting the tone moving forward and ensuring the whole enterprise is on the correct page. Ultimately it will be the rank and file workforce that carries out the changes, not the high profile execs. The required std must be enforced all the way through to deliver a consistent message - you undermine your targets if you have one rule for some and another rule for the rest. No harm
In starting out as we mean to continue.
I am very happy at those appointments, but they all haven't even started their roles and yet to even make a decision yet that their performance can be judged on. Hiring them is a great start, but just hiring them isn't a silver bullet.

The bold bit is what I'm getting at. Are we implying from this being in the office is the only way you can set high standards? I would disagree massively on that and culture comes from senior leadership driving the standard of performance, regardless where you work from.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I am very happy at those appointments, but they all haven't even started their roles and yet to even make a decision yet that their performance can be judged on. Hiring them is a great start, but just hiring them isn't a silver bullet.

The bold bit is what I'm getting at. Are we implying from this being in the office is the only way you can set high standards? I would disagree massively on that and culture comes from senior leadership driving the standard of performance, regardless where you work from.
Having the workforce all in one building certainly helps to monitor standards and output.

Rightnr

Having the workforce all in one building certainly helps to monitor standards and output.
This is Stone Age thinking. Makes no sense but I'm almost sure you must live in the UK because that's exactly the kind of 'strategic' thinking prevalent in the country and why it's being left in the dust in terms of economic growth.

Kelly15

I'm as cynical as they come but you beat me hands down, there are pros and cons to working in an office and pros and cons to working from home

I personally work at home and am way more productive than I was in the office, I have less distractions, that works for me and as a result the company I work for benefits, it doesn't work for everyone and not everyone can do their job from home, but the office is not always the best
I agree with what you are saying. And that might work for you and your job. But imo you are a rarity. Generally humans when unsupervised then to take liberties. It's starts slowly but thats all it takes for the slide to happen.

When you have standards top to bottom it resonates with everyone and creates a competitive environment where everyone is pushing each other to be better. We lost that when SAF left. Then the Glazer rot truly set in.

Tyrion

Working from home or not won't make any difference. That said, I don't mind them changing it either.

This is only news because the team is playing badly and it's United.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I agree with what you are saying. And that might work for you and your job. But imo you are a rarity. Generally humans when unsupervised then to take liberties. It's starts slowly but thats all it takes for the slide to happen.

When you have standards top to bottom it resonates with everyone and creates a competitive environment where everyone is pushing each other to be better. We lost that when SAF left. Then the Glazer rot truly set in.
That's certain;y true for some but generally I'm not so sure about that

In my company during the pandemic virtually everyone worked from home, when that ended they asked people what their preferences were going forward, the majority wanted fully WFH or Hybrid, so everyone was told they could choose, and so it remains that way, my local office has 213 employees associated with it, the average daily attendance is less than 30 and that is apparently reflected in other offices as well

According to the annual results both productivity and efficiency are up across the board, even compared to pre-pandemic levels, I work for a large multi-national company with around 35K employees in over 60 countries, pay and benefits are round about middle ranking, not the best and not the worst.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I can’t understand comments like this.

we have one of the countries most successful people who has made his own way in life and build up a very successful business which has made it possible for him to purchase 30%(hopefully more in time)of his failing and poorly run boyhood club.
he is now bringing all that expertise into getting that said club back up to standard and he’s getting pelters for it.

if it wasn’t for him we’d have either been stuck with the Glazers or become an oil club.
Just because he's better than the Glazers or an oil club doesn't mean he's not a prick himself or that he's exempt from criticism. Often the guys at the very top are the ones most responsible for making decisions which screw the normal workers. And by all reports, Ratcliffe is well known to be one that does that.

There's no problem with them getting rid of the lower performing members of the workforce at the club, as by all reports we are bloated. But a blanket ban on WFH will make it difficult for the good workers just as much as the bad.

Stepney73

Just because he's better than the Glazers or an oil club doesn't mean he's not a prick himself or that he's exempt from criticism. Often the guys at the very top are the ones most responsible for making decisions which screw the normal workers. And by all reports, Ratcliffe is well known to be one that does that.

There's no problem with them getting rid of the lower performing members of the workforce at the club, as by all reports we are bloated. But a blanket ban on WFH will make it difficult for the good workers just as much as the bad.
That’s exactly what he is doing but some will say(as in your first paragraph)it’s screwing the normal workers.

This club has needed root and branch reform for over a decade and thankfully its finally happening(if he is of the opinion that WFH is not going to be allowed as part of his overall then so be it).

Malons

Our season is over now apart from a cup final. However it was perfectly salvageable when Ratcliff took over. The mindset of this club of never, ever acting until the point where it's too late, has never made sense to me.

AndySmith1990

Our season is over now apart from a cup final. However it was perfectly salvageable when Ratcliff took over. The mindset of this club of never, ever acting until the point where it's too late, has never made sense to me.
Yeah it's all a bit odd.

Our model may as well be summarised as do the opposite of what Real Madrid would do