Gaming COD4 (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare) - XB360/PS3/PC

WeasteDevil

It's out this week, and apparently is excellent on all platforms. Shall be getting this I think.

Apparently the developers of this title have gone about it the correct way (unlike others we could mention), in that although the different versions use the same assets, they have been coded using different teams for each platform, thus trying to take advantage of each one's specifics while not providing detriment to the other.

There are minor visual differences between the 360 and PS3 versions, due to the platforms being extremely different from an architectural standpoint. This results in us having to make different tradeoffs on both platforms to hit our framerate targets (60fps). They're very nearly identical, but you'll be able to pick screenshots in which both versions are "clearly" the better version. They're as close as we could make them without going completely batcrap insane (though whether or not we are already completely batcrap insane is a matter of some debate.)

Tradeoff example: Shadow filtering. We use different techniques on PS3 and 360 to filter shadow edges, which gives them a bit of a different look. I think it's a matter of taste as to which way looks better, but we did it that way because it was the most efficient way to do it on both platforms that yielded a look that was good enough.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
This game has the potential of becoming the greatest FPS game of all time.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Looks stunning.

I'm looking at ungrading my PC in the near future, what kind of specs would I need to run this well, not NASA levels, just enough to run it with no noticable slow down or glitches?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Looks stunning.

I'm looking at ungrading my PC in the near future, what kind of specs would I need to run this well, not NASA levels, just enough to run it with no noticable slow down or glitches?
Processor: 2.6ghz Pentium IV or equivalent (3.2ghz recommended for Vista)
RAM: 1024mb (1536mb recommended for Vista)
Video Card: DirectX 9-compliant Shader 3.0 card with 128 MB of DDR Video Memory (256 MB recommended) AGP 8x or PCI-Express x16
Sound Card: 16-bit DirectX 9-compliant sound card

DirectX9 for XP and 10 for Vista, 8 gigs HD space + 600mb for swap file.
Nvidia Geforce 6/7/8 series
ATi X800 or higher

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
What I really like about Call Of Duty games is that you don't need to have a NASA computer to run the game properly. Unlike some other games where you need all the latest stuff to your computer.

RedNome

Processor: 2.6ghz Pentium IV or equivalent (3.2ghz recommended for Vista)
RAM: 1024mb (1536mb recommended for Vista)
Video Card: DirectX 9-compliant Shader 3.0 card with 128 MB of DDR Video Memory (256 MB recommended) AGP 8x or PCI-Express x16
Sound Card: 16-bit DirectX 9-compliant sound card

DirectX9 for XP and 10 for Vista, 8 gigs HD space + 600mb for swap file.
Nvidia Geforce 6/7/8 series
ATi X800 or higher

That's fairly reasonable specs there, would need a new graphics card though, I have a 2.4 P4 so may need to go up there too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
What I really like about Call Of Duty games is that you don't need to have a NASA computer to run the game properly. Unlike some other games where you need all the latest stuff to your computer.
Brilliant coders doing good job in upgrading already solid engine.

These guys from Call Of Duty worked also on Medal Of Honor:Allied Assault, so they have a experience how to force someone to have a wank.

RedNome

Yeah, I'm surprised by that.

Ok another question, what specs would you need for it to run at the same level as a PS3?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Fair enough.

Is Vista stable enough to use now.
Don't know, mate... I'm still using Win XP with Service Pack 2 and i'm very happy because everything working fine.

I know for sure that older games and programs can struggle on Vista.

I always stay away a new OS release for at least 12 months.
Someday I'll install this piece of crap but it will be only a substitute for Xp.

I don't even consider deinstalling XP for now.

RedNome

Can't stop looking at those screen shots, looks stunning, I might invest in a PS3 yet especially with Gran Turismo coming out soon too.

ThaBigBoss

fecks sake! Why did it have to look so good!

I wasn't going to get this game, but im now finding it hard to resist. Im a bit short on cash at the moment, so the only game i was planning to buy before Christmas is Assassin's Creed. Now i dont know which game to buy.

And advice would be welcomed.

RedNome

fecks sake! Why did it have to look so good!

I wasn't going to get this game, but im now finding it hard to resist. Im a bit short on cash at the moment, so the only game i was planning to buy before Christmas is Assassin's Creed. Now i dont know which game to buy.

And advice would be welcomed.

I'd go with the above :drool:

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
beta online play was excellent, levelling up gave you goals as you got new weapons.

looking forward to crysis too

getting my pc tomorrow

got the following will crysis crawl along? or play well

2.66 ghz processor
4gb Ram
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
Vista

BezsMaracas

Is it just going to be the same gameplay from previous COD games? The first one was great, second ok, and the third was turd in comparison.

ThaBigBoss

On this game, do you controll all 4 member of your team?

Because i had CoD2 and it really pissed me off. I hated that game, but these graphics look so good!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
My brother's been raving about this for months. Will probably have to give it a look

RedNome

The full blown thing or the Prologue? GT5 is still at least a year away. GT5:Prologue will hit Japan before Christmas, Europe probably in January.

What's the difference? And what's taking so long, this is their flagship title ffs. This is the title that will sell me the machine.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Not my type of game.

I like fast paced games like Halo rather than tactical like Rainbow 6, but the pace of this is too fast for my liking, like battlefield.

Probably get it mind.

WeasteDevil

What's the difference? And what's taking so long, this is their flagship title ffs. This is the title that will sell me the machine.
Prologue is a seriously cut down version of the game. They have done this with previous releases, both GT3 & 4 had their prologues.

It's taking so long because it's the dogs bollocks. They spend silly amount of time modeling the cars, and there will be over 900 of them in GT5.

RedNome

It's still the best game I have ever played, glad they are taking their time over it, bodes well, will there be on line game play with this one? Would take it to the next level for me.

USDevil

Soldier of Fortune
The third was done by a different developer team/studio as far as I know.
The Team that did 1 & 2 hated the fact that 3 was done by a different team. When they started developing COD4, they actually labelled the files COD3, like the other never happened.