Cody Gakpo: Finish The Story

I'd personally prefer Rashford-Gakpo-Anthony above Garnacho-Raahford-Anthony as a backup front 3 given the option.

The ball sticks a lot more as Gakpo is better at link up play and with his back to goal whilst also not missing out on Rashford's goals and you'd assume gaining some with Gakpo.

Just makes us a better squad for a reasonable price.
Ah, you’d prefer to completely feck off our best prospect in years, fair enough.

It’s also very likely we’ll be adding another name back to that list also, another academy lad too, who I rate far above Gakpo.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I'd personally prefer Rashford-Gakpo-Anthony above Garnacho-Raahford-Anthony as a backup front 3 given the option.

The ball sticks a lot more as Gakpo is better at link up play and with his back to goal whilst also not missing out on Rashford's goals and you'd assume gaining some with Gakpo.

Just makes us a better squad for a reasonable price.
Rashford Gakpo Antony

Garnacho Højlund Sancho/Diallo

OverratedOpinion

Ah, you’d prefer to completely feck off our best prospect in years, fair enough.
Yes it's not like Man Utd play a lot of football matches. Plenty of games for Garnacho without playing Rashford out of position and having the ball bounce back constantly when trying to go forward.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

It’s also very likely we’ll be adding another name back to that list also, another academy lad too, who I rate far above Gakpo.
I’d much rather Gakpo in that scenario. No question no brainer.

Yes it's not like Man Utd play a lot of football matches. Plenty of games for Garnacho without playing Rashford out of position and having the ball bounce back constantly when trying to go forward.
Rashford proved last season he’s far better at that than you’re giving him credit for here, and as I say, another academy lad will very likely also be back in the mould, and he’s a much better play than Gakpo.

OverratedOpinion

“Phenomenal”, “mercurial” or “incredibly multifaceted” - does it matter? Point stands. All over preseason as well.
I think most people are just saying he's a very good player. Which he is.

He is extremely versitile or "multi faceted" so that is true also. Literally one newbie called him phenomenal which is the only thing I'd say is taking it a bit far.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think most people are just saying he's a very good player. Which he is.

He is extremely versitile or "multi faceted" so that is true also. Literally one newbie called him phenomenal which is the only thing I'd say is taking it a bit far.
Just a very odd bump during preseason, that’s all. But I don’t actually care enough to defend pool players. Feck’em.

glasgow 21

Rashford Gakpo Antony

Garnacho Højlund Sancho/Diallo
What is going on here ? I jumped in and folk are referencing we should have bought Gakpo? Dreary me what are you folk on, Gakpo went to Liverpool when United and ETH were given 3 bags of crisps and baseball cap to buy players in the winter. Remember back that far? Glaziers not spending money as they were selling ?

OverratedOpinion

Rashford proved last season he’s far better at that than you’re giving him credit for here, and as I say, another academy lad will very likely also be back in the mould, and he’s a much better play than Gakpo.
I love Rashford but I don't think I'm being harsh in saying that his attributes just aren't very well fitted to playing as a lone striker and I think you're being dishonest if you don't think we had a lot of evidence of that last season. Not Rashford's fault and he'd probably be great in a front 2 but I just don't think that's his position.

If that academy player does come back which I'm still not that sure he will then he firstly hasn't played football in a long time and also not shown that he can do it as a lone striker in the senior team. Played one great game there against Leicester but other than that I can't remember much.

Obviously if he did come back that does mean we'd need to reassess our views about the attacker's in our squad. All ifs buts and maybes ATM.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Not on football talent you wouldn’t.
Mentality is part of talent. I 100% would.

Gakpo is the more complete player.
What is going on here ? I jumped in and folk are referencing we should have bought Gakpo? Dreary me what are you folk on, Gakpo went to Liverpool when United and ETH were given 3 bags of crisps and baseball cap to buy players in the winter. Remember back that far? Glaziers not spending money as they were selling ?
:lol: Scenes.

redcucumber

I love Rashford but I don't think I'm being harsh in saying that his attributes just aren't very well fitted to playing as a lone striker and I think you're being dishonest if you don't think we had a lot of evidence of that last season. Not Rashford's fault and he'd probably be great in a front 2 but I just don't think that's his position.

If that academy player does come back which I'm still not that sure he will then he firstly hasn't played football in a long time and also not shown that he can do it as a lone striker in the senior team. Played one great game there against Leicester but other than that I can't remember much.

Obviously if he did come back that does mean we'd need to reassess our views about the attacker's in our squad. All ifs buts and maybes ATM.
Is Gakpo a number 9, though? I thought he played off the left? Certainly doesn't look like a lone striker whenever I've seen him, which isn't loads.

MUFC OK

Sorry but this guy is never a striker. He’s a very good direct LW but just not a striker.

mu4c_20le

Bit disingenuous to call him a lone striker when he often played with Nunez, who was deployed on the left to utilize his speed, and they interchange often like a 442. I never saw him as a back to goal type of striker.

pacifictheme

Gakpo was quoted as saying a move to united was done in the summer but we changed our minds, probably because we have a better starting LW in rashford and a very exciting prospect in garnacho

pacifictheme

Bit disingenuous to call him a lone striker when he often played with Nunez, who was deployed on the left to utilize his speed, and they interchange often like a 442. I never saw him as a back to goal type of striker.
I am assuming in these regular instances Salah is slotting into one side of the midfield (:lol:) four but who is on the other side?

OverratedOpinion

Nunez played a similar role to what Rashford does for us, just not as well obviously.

Gakpo is actually exceptional with his back to goal in tight spaces centrally. Either using his physicality or good turns and linkup. You'll see loads of examples of this below. Pretty evenly split between that and the other job he did out wide.

I'm not saying he's the next Didier Drogba but he is better than anyone in our current squad at doing that other than a fit and firing Martial. I think having someone who can do that is key for Rashford, Garnacho, Anthony and Sancho and hopefully Hojlund can do that role but cover would have been great. Especially at the price.

Last edited:

Member 101269

Bit different if you’ve been active in conversation about those players previously.

What about him doesn’t impress? Or more to the point what would you expect him to do to be impressive?
It's no different, you're just trrying to extend the rational for "Trust me"

Just in case you missed it

I’ve not seen anything consistently Impressive for a top side

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What have you seen that makes you really frustrated that we didn't get him? All of a sudden he's a mercurial talent. He was underwhelming as feck last season.
Nah. He was quite poor to begin with, but Towards the end of season he got better and better. Surely you remember at least one game where he strutted his stuff.

Nah. He was quite poor to begin with, but Towards the end of season he got better and better. Surely you remember at least one game where he strutted his stuff.
We've seen plenty of bang average Liverpool players treat us like a cup final, just as you have probably seen the same from us.

Gakpo looks nailed on to be another World Cup panic buy. Hes not a bad player but hes never going to be the player you saw in Qatar. Every 4 years there are a few.

Telsim

What have you seen that makes you really frustrated that we didn't get him? All of a sudden he's a mercurial talent. He was underwhelming as feck last season.
Was he? Because he did as much as our £82M paperweight on the right in half the time at half the price, after coming in midseason in a team performing worse than us.

Last edited:

cyberman

Was he? Because he did as much as our £82M paperweight on the right in half the time, after coming in midseason in a team performing worse than us.
So Antony is the standard in doing well or not?
Seems unnecessary to drag out player into this.
Edit which is weird when you’re overly defending a Liverpool player at the expense of a United player. I’m sure a player at your own club would appreciate the same level of support

Telsim

It is not unnecessary at all. They come from the same league, and at one point was one or the other for us, so comparison are fair. I also recall the poster mounting quite the defense for Antony last season, yet Gakpo who did better was underwhelming? How so?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Gakpo is a good player who’s bubbling on nicely at the Scousers. He’s intelligent and has a lethal right foot. He’s a no. 10 or mostly a left winger, but we already had & still have 3 players similar to him so we were never going to sign him.

bringbackbebe

I'm not able to tell if he's fast or slow. Seems like a lanky, slow player but that run against Munich for the goal means he's either deceptive and super fast or Bayern players are slow as duck.

flappyjay

Edit which is weird when you’re overly defending a Liverpool player at the expense of a United player. I’m sure a player at your own club would appreciate the same level of support
Its not weird he is just being honest, there are a lot of red tinted glasses in this thread. Salah is a better player than Rashford, does that mean I don't support Rashford? Gakpo was more productive than Antony last season that's a fact. With him having had half a season with the scouse plus pre season he is probably going to be even better for them.

whitbyviking

You realize he plays through the middle for Liverpool right? Same place he would have played for us?

I sure as feck would have preferred watching him over Weghorst last season.
Would you have swapped Liverpool's season for ours? If not the rest is irrelevant.

Son

Was he? Because he did as much as our £82M paperweight on the right in half the time at half the price, after coming in midseason in a team performing worse than us.
We were desperate for a RW last summer. That’s why we bought Antony. I still hope he will come good as he shows lots of promise with his overall play.

Antony with end product would be awesome as he really does help give the team shape. Gakpo for what it’s worth is the better footballer right now in my eyes but we had two quality left wingers. 3 if you include Sancho.

Why would we buy a 4th? Gakpo isn’t really a CF either although I have no doubt he could do a better job than Martial.

Not saying much though Martial steals a wage at our club. Hell I’d rather we played Sancho as a false 9 than Martial that’s how little patience I have for him these days. So yeah I’d have taken Gakpo if money had been available.

whitbyviking

Anthony is judged by his fee alone, he is nowhere near as bad as many in here are making out. Statistics don't tell the whole story.

mufc_sd

When we wanted Gakpo many laughed, once again Ten Hag’s choices (alleged) are being questioned. Ten Hag system doesn’t rely on midfielders to control games a concept many aren’t accustomed to yet but it’s on him to prove it can work I wouldn’t bet against him.
Some here judged him too quick because of his comps eventually misrepresenting the player. I've been watching him closely since the world cup and with every game it’s becomes clear why Ten Hag wants him and why he’ll suit this Man United team. I have scousers telling me he's the most important player in their front 3 with Salah, obviously I want him to fail but I still stand by it he's phenomenal.

Kostov

Good thing we spanked 100m on Antony and we had to resort to loaning in Wout from Burnley instead of buying this guy for 42m euros. :D

whitbyviking

Good thing we spanked 100m on Antony and we had to resort to loaning in Wout from Burnley instead of buying this guy for 42m euros. :D
You're not comparing apples with apples. We had a reasonably fit Martial, Ronaldo and no feasible right winger in the summer when we bought Anthony. Gakpo wasn't an option or the right wing.

Then in December Ronaldo had a hissy fit, Martial was injured again and the Glazers wouldn't open the purse strings so we got Wout.

OverratedOpinion

I'm not able to tell if he's fast or slow. Seems like a lanky, slow player but that run against Munich for the goal means he's either deceptive and super fast or Bayern players are slow as duck.
He's god a decent burst of pace over short distances that he uses very well but he's definitely not up there with the quickest in the league.

cyberman

Its not weird he is just being honest, there are a lot of red tinted glasses in this thread. Salah is a better player than Rashford, does that mean I don't support Rashford? Gakpo was more productive than Antony last season that's a fact. With him having had half a season with the scouse plus pre season he is probably going to be even better for them.
Gakpo had 3 more EPL goals more in 4 games less while being a forward with the same amount of assists as Antony. That’s the same Antony who we are told is wasteful and that’s weirdly comparing two players who play in completely different positions.
The only reason to compare the two is to make a point. You can’t compare Gakpo to a number 9 because we really didn’t have any last season and Rashford shits all over him so let’s pick Antony out of the hat. Even Martial has 1 goal less than Gakpo with the same amount of assists in almost half his minutes.
Gakpo isn’t even that impressive. He may well end up so but the striker brought in to save their season only to get a goal every 3 games as their CF tells us more about Nunez than Gakpo.
I could go in the Nunez thread for about 3/4 of last season and find the same posters trying to make the same points. They’ve just moved in to Gakpo for some strange reason

Kostov

You're not comparing apples with apples. We had a reasonably fit Martial, Ronaldo and no feasible right winger in the summer when we bought Anthony. Gakpo wasn't an option or the right wing.

Then in December Ronaldo had a hissy fit, Martial was injured again and the Glazers wouldn't open the purse strings so we got Wout.
I agree on some parts, but the fee for Antony was as ridiculous back then as it is now, and in effectively hindered our ability to reinforce properly in the winter. It was a total feck up, since I think Gakpo would have easily helped us push up the table from January. He's a good player and sadly our rivals got him.

I agree on some parts, but the fee for Antony was as ridiculous back then as it is now, and in effectively hindered our ability to reinforce properly in the winter. It was a total feck up, since I think Gakpo would have easily helped us puss up the table from January. He's a good player and sadly our rivals got him.
Yeah erm, no player in the World was pushing us to 85 points from Jan man, and certainly not Cody fecking Gakpo :lol: