Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strootman's Finger

I watched the whole interview on Sky and he said that PSV will wait until CL is settled and potentially get both 40m for being in the group stage and 40m for the sale of Gakpo.
These were Gakpo's comments, I think you are talking about Van de Kraan

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So another player using United to get a better deal?
More like he knows he has a World Cup this year and moving to United he’s not guaranteed starting minutes.

Put yourself in his shoes would you rather stay in Eredivise till January score goals and get lots of game time before a WC or move to a new league to a new style of a recently dysfunctional club and not be guaranteed regular minutes?

I mean this in all seriousness if I were Gakpo I would be waiting too because he may end up being a champions league player who can showcase his talents on a bigger stage and at worst I think at PSV he’s guaranteed a WC squad pick.

Loony BoB

Snubbed by PSV and Ajax players.
Neither, really. Timber you could argue snubbed us I suppose, but Antony wanted to join but was priced out. Gakpo we're just looking at, haven't approached as far as I see in the tweets so far. Timber wanted to join us but LVG forced his hand.

GledTheRed

Neither, really. Timber you could argue snubbed us I suppose, but Antony wanted to join but was priced out. Gakpo we're just looking at, haven't approached as far as I see in the tweets so far. Timber wanted to join us but LVG forced his hand.
Timber snubbed us, I doubt the LvG comments factored. If he believed in himself and his ability he would have known he's good enough to start for Netherlands regardless if he was at United or Ajax.

Strootman's Finger

Timber snubbed us, I doubt the LvG comments factored. If he believed in himself and his ability he would have known he's good enough to start for Netherlands regardless if he was at United or Ajax.
It 100% factored, we had agreed terms with the player before he went to those nations league games.

Long Time Red

So still no one answered my question.

Isn't Madueke meant to be PSV's best winger?

Aren't we trying to sign a player that isn't even PSV's best winger?

House Mkhitaryan

Last season...

Gakpo: 1911 minutes, 12 goals, 10 assists, 7.79 WhoScored rating, 9 MotM
Madueke: 828 minutes, 3 goals, 3 assists, 6.97 WhoScored rating, 1 MotM

He's younger so he may develop but right now Madueke is definitely not better than Gakpo.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
His competition is VVD, De Ligt, De Vrij and Ake. Not Maguire, Lindelof and 3 sick notes.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Gakpo was voted as the best player in the league, how can he not be the best winger/player for the club.

hmchan

Not pretending to know much about him, but his decision making and final touches were terrible yesterday against Monaco.

DutchDemon8

Supports
PSV
Not pretending to know much about him, but his decision making and final touches were terrible yesterday against Monaco.
Yesterday was his worst ever performance for PSV, that's been quite universally agreed on by the PSV fanbase. Usually in the big matches (against Ajax or last year against Benfica, Monaco and Leicester) he delivers, but he was dreadful last night. Maybe his head's already in Manchester, maybe it's coincidence, but this is not his usual level.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Trimming our deadwood first ? Well sign these players in 2026 then
Not as if we haven’t had all summer to be concentrate on ins and outs. Incompetence at its very worst.

The 2 fat lads been swanning off all summer to Barcelona eating paella swigging sangria.

Drz

From what I've seen, he has good off the ball movement. Always seems to find spaces for himself to run into. As for his aerial ability, that's an area I think he needs to work on. A player of his size should be winning and scoring a lot more headers.
Whilst I agree entirely, it also depends on how the team has decided to play.
Heard on the beeb, that he has played only 4 games as a CF (but on whoscored, it's 3 as a left-sided forward, contributing 1 goal and 1 assist).
If PSV start him mostly in left-midfield, and instruct him to provide width he is simply less likely to post-up for headers than an out-and-out CF.
So that leaves just set-plays to judge him in the box over a significant sample size, and that's assuming he is not the one taking the set-plays.

worldinmotion66

£30m seems a fair price, for a player we certainly should be able to entice.

These are the kind of signings we should be making, the kind of risks we should be taking.

Rolaholic

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We have a manager with potential and current squad that has downed tools one time too many. Go for both!
With all the money being saved from the FDJ chase, might as well go for both

Infra-red

£49m for the pair and EtH gets a player he's familiar with in Gakpo and the target man tactical option he craves in the 2m tall Kalajdžić. Both players are relatively young with the chance to improve. Wouldn't be a bad deal that.

Drz

Exactlty, f*ck *renkie, we have too much to improve, and it's going to take long enough even with tier-1 signings. Also, I can respect ETH wanting to assess the squad, provide 3rd/4th chances, but I have now seen enough.
On the other hand, be it imports or current regulars, if they don't work, put in the youth, and crucially sell, sell, sell if you have any doubts (on and off the pitch, because let's be honest generational talents, are just that generational and there is little to no doubt when they blossom).

Strootman's Finger

Exactlty, f*ck *renkie, we have too much to improve, and it's going to take long enough even with tier-1 signings. Also, I can respect ETH wanting to assess the squad, provide 3rd/4th chances, but I have now seen enough.
On the other hand, be it imports or current regulars, if they don't work, put in the youth, and crucially sell, sell, sell if you have any doubts (on and off the pitch, because let's be honest generational talents, are just that generational and there is little to no doubt when they blossom).
I would 100% agreed at the beginning of the transfer window. We should have never gone after one big money signing, we should have went after multiple cheaper signings and replaced as much of the squad as possible. Instead of Frenkie you could have bought Laimer and Teliemans, and still had enough to cover the Malacia signing.

Problem is now clubs have done their business, so you have two options, pay big or sign the players no one else wants... we've chosen the latter,

Drz

I would 100% agreed at the beginning of the transfer window. We should have never gone after one big money signing, we should have went after multiple cheaper signings and replaced as much of the squad as possible. Instead of Frenkie you could have bought Laimer and Teliemans, and still had enough to cover the Malacia signing.

Problem is now clubs have done their business, so you have two options, pay big or sign the players no one else wants... we've chosen the latter,
I am with you, but what do you mean by the bolded part. What would you do now that we are 20 days off the end of the market?
In fairness, I expected this (delaying the inevitable selling of players we once thought good enough) when I accepted we needed a new manager.

hmchan

Yesterday was his worst ever performance for PSV, that's been quite universally agreed on by the PSV fanbase. Usually in the big matches (against Ajax or last year against Benfica, Monaco and Leicester) he delivers, but he was dreadful last night. Maybe his head's already in Manchester, maybe it's coincidence, but this is not his usual level.
Fair enough. I seldom watch PSV matches so I can't tell about his usual standard, I'm just worried after seeing his performance yesterday.

GledTheRed

His competition is VVD, De Ligt, De Vrij and Ake. Not Maguire, Lindelof and 3 sick notes.
Exactly, he's not gonna start centrally anyway is he? He might start eight back though and he'd have nailed that position for us comfortably.

Anyway, feck him if he doesn't want to join.

Drz

Hi, not seen what you have posted previously on Gakpo, but overall what do you make of the player as a PSV fan?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Exactly, he's not gonna start centrally anyway is he? He might start eight back though and he'd have nailed that position for us comfortably.

Anyway, feck him if he doesn't want to join.
Well he might, because the Dutch play a back 3 now, and De Ligt might be used as a back up LCB (to Ake). He'll never start RWB ahead of Dumfries.

I've posted before I don't buy the stories that he snubbed United because LVG's "advice". It's speculative stuff and he said before the summer he wanted to stay and everything indicates that is true (otherwise he'd have been linked with many other clubs by now).

GledTheRed

Well he might, because the Dutch play a back 3 now, and De Ligt might be used as a back up LCB (to Ake). He'll never start RWB ahead of Dumfries.

I've posted before I don't buy the stories that he snubbed United because LVG's "advice". It's speculative stuff and he said before the summer he wanted to stay and everything indicates that is true (otherwise he'd have been linked with many other clubs by now).
Exactly, the LvG stuff is just bullshit. I'm sure Chelsea would have been interested for example.

C'est Moi Cantona

We've just got rid of Cavani, Mata, Lingard, Pogba, Pereira, Matic, and Grant, the biggest clearout we've had in years, whilst signing just 3 players, two of them that will barely register on the accounts, so not sure they can use that line right now.

captaincantona

We've just got rid of Cavani, Mata, Lingard, Pogba, Pereira, Matic, and Grant, the biggest clearout we've had in years, whilst signing just 3 players, two of them that will barely register on the accounts, so not sure they can use that line right now.
Even though that looks like a big clear out…we still have Telles, Henderson, Amad, Pellistri, Bailly, AWB, Jones, Chong, Williams and Tuanzebe. That’s 10 players who will not benefit in any way from u23 football and yet will not make the first team squad. We are only halfway through the clearout.

C'est Moi Cantona

Even though that looks like a big clear out…we still have Telles, Henderson, Amad, Pellistri, Bailly, AWB, Jones, Chong, Williams and Tuanzebe. That’s 10 players who will not benefit in any way from u23 football and yet will not make the first team squad. We are only halfway through the clearout.
Yeah I forgot that they've gone too! That's 9 players out, and three players in. And we're still using the 'deadwood' line, it's nonsense.

Dve

As the above Tweet mentions, if PSV don't qualify for the CL he will be jumping to join you. If they do overcome Monacy he honestly still might. He's been PSV's best player for a while now (maybe tied with Sangare) and is ready to move.

Actually quite surprised more clubs weren't interested in him, but I guess that's mostly because PSV have been crap in Europe lately.
Hopefully he´s better than what he showed last night. Not very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.