Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Gakpo for £30 million, or Memphis for £16.91 million? Memphis is supposedly being offered as a makeweight in a deal for Jules Kounde where Barcelona is 20 million Euros short. I'd take Memphis, maybe sweeten the pot to bring De Jong over as well. At least Memphis knows what he's up against in this league. He's physically far stronger than Gakpo, and had 14 goals in 28 appearances last season.
I don’t massively like Depay but I think he suffered from a lack of Luke Shaw more than anything. I just don’t think he’s the solution to any of our problems and it would once again be short-medium term plastering over a crack rather than thinking clearly how do we want to play and who is going to enable that to happen.

I think Gakpo has no baggage (in terms of previous history with the club) so has a chance of settling in here with reasonable expectations.

The way this club is ran from the top though gives me very little confidence.

Wing Attack Plan R

I don’t massively like Depay but I think he suffered from a lack of Luke Shaw more than anything. I just don’t think he’s the solution to any of our problems and it would once again be short-medium term plastering over a crack rather than thinking clearly how do we want to play and who is going to enable that to happen.

I think Gakpo has no baggage (in terms of previous history with the club) so has a chance of settling in here with reasonable expectations.

The way this club is ran from the top though gives me very little confidence.
I think Memphis has baggage that we can't get past mentally. If someone offered us a player who scored 14 goals in 28 appearances in La Liga, and the person was a physical specimen, I think that player would be a more attractive proposition than an untested wing from the Dutch league. And then the La Liga player is about 10 million pounds cheaper too. It's only when we say that La Liga player is Memphis that people get cold feet. I agree 100% that there was no chemistry between Shaw and Memphis. Shaw wants to camp at the halfway line, not overlap, so Shaw was not creating the space for Memphis to operate in. I rate the Spanish league a lot higher than the Dutch league.

Gakpo? Fack no.

lifted

I think Memphis has baggage that we can't get past mentally. If someone offered us a player who scored 14 goals in 28 appearances in La Liga, and the person was a physical specimen, I think that player would be a more attractive proposition than an untested wing from the Dutch league. And then the La Liga player is about 10 million pounds cheaper too. It's only when we say that La Liga player is Memphis that people get cold feet. I agree 100% that there was no chemistry between Shaw and Memphis. Shaw wants to camp at the halfway line, not overlap, so Shaw was not creating the space for Memphis to operate in. I rate the Spanish league a lot higher than the Dutch league.

Gakpo? Fack no.
From memory, Shaw and Memphis had a pretty good thing going before Shaw broke his leg. I remember them talking about being close friends at the time.

Chairman Steve

I dig his early Thierry Henry likeness. Dribbling from wide and creating space for himself to score

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Gakpo? Fack no.
To be clear I meant when Luke Shaw was fit and overlapping Depay looked really good but Shaws injury meant Depay wasn’t playing with a good LB and that meant his ability to affect play suffered and his confidence and my overall view of him did too.

He’s a good player of course but not for me the right piece in any jigsaw I see going forward.

Wing Attack Plan R

To be clear I meant when Luke Shaw was fit and overlapping Depay looked really good but Shaws injury meant Depay wasn’t playing with a good LB and that meant his ability to affect play suffered and his confidence and my overall view of him did too.

He’s a good player of course but not for me the right piece in any jigsaw I see going forward.
That's fair, but do you think Gakpo could be/is the right piece? I have never watched him play, but suddenly assuming the Dutch league is at the same level as the Premier seems like a recipe for disaster. (not saying you are assuming this, I'm saying that bringing Dutch league players over en masse with no spin up time sounds like a terrible idea).

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That's fair, but do you think Gakpo could be/is the right piece? I have never watched him play, but suddenly assuming the Dutch league is at the same level as the Premier seems like a recipe for disaster. (not saying you are assuming this, I'm saying that bringing Dutch league players over en masse with no spin up time sounds like a terrible idea).
I do think he’s a very talented wide midfielder that could be a good goal threat for United. He’s shown over 2 plus seasons now a consistent threat and he’s added to his game great crossing and has taken the mantle of being the main man really well.

No transfer is ever a given but I’d say he has a very good chance of success especially with a great coach like Ten Hag.

With Rashford at the club he wont be coming in with no spin up time so I wouldn’t be concerned about that it’s also the same for Malacia (less so Martinez but that’s injury enforced) and it means that we are also under less pressure if Rashford wanted to leave in future by having a ready made replacement in the door ready to coach and not far off his peak years.

So I think Gakpo has a good chance at fitting into a successful Ten Hag team in future yes as he’s a talented wide threat (to use the athletics player descriptions).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wonder if he will have better luck showing the CAF he's not a complete dud in tonight's game against Rangers.

Zoo

Looks very sharp and everything Rashford used to be on the left. Just want to see him through the middle

A9X SJ

He’s not done anything of note in the first half to be honest think if Rangers knock PSV he could become available

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s not done anything of note in the first half to be honest think if Rangers knock PSV he could become available
He’s rarely had the ball to be fair but when he has he’s beaten Tavernier.

1 good corner 1 absolute stinker too.

A9X SJ

Got to wonder why he’s on corners looks a player with good height

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Got to wonder why he’s on corners looks a player with good height
Not a good header and PSV has people better at that. He's also got a good long pass. Height isn't everything. Martinez for example is a good header for his size while Gakpo is bad for his size.

NickJ

Sangare been much more of a standout tonight than Gakpo.

Zoo

He can take a corner. Obviously he’ll lose that if he joins us.

NoPace

Every time I watch him I think he's good enough on the ball but the opposite winger on PSV works much harder off the ball and gets open easier. Seems like a 25-30M player, not a 50M one.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Really struggling to see it with him in the few games I've seen. If you're paying 50m+ for a player, I'd want him to be showing something in European games and as well as knocking a few past RKC Waalwijk every other week.

It's not like he's putting up Luis Suarez (Or Afonso Alves...) numbers in the Eredivisie, either.

kirk buttercup

Not blown away by him. I'm sure our Eredivisie regular watchers can give us a more rounded view of him . For me tonight 2 good corners some nice touches but nothing outstanding played well in parts. Not the game changer we need right now for me but possibly one for the future.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Not blown away by him. I'm sure our Eredivisie regular watchers can give us a more rounded view of him . For me tonight 2 good corners some nice touches but nothing outstanding played well in parts. Not the game changer we need right now for me but possibly one for the future.
Not good enough for United mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.