Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik the Red

G/A every 32mins… but yeah he might not make the step up so let’s look elsewhere for a goal scoring forward.
There is always a risk that a player, particularly a striker, will not hit the ground running, and this affects their confidence.... this risk applies to any player, even the best in the world. Of the list of top five goal contributions this season, he is the only one potentially attainable (Neymar, Haaland, Messi and Lewandowski are the others), and he has the added advantages of 1) being Dutch, 2) agreed personal terms, 3) seems to want to come to United. Toney and Osimhen are good players, and may be better "target men", but they will be far more expensive, and Gakpo has a higher ceiling. I think we will need two more strikers, so we should go for Gakpo in January, and try to unearth the next Kane / Lewandowski / Benzema. At the moment, Sesko is the one I'm watching, but he isn't ready yet, and is likely to cost silly money from the RB business. Mbappe for free in 2024 is also one to consider, but ETH will have to think whether he wants a "star" player, who may unsettle the dressing room. ETH doesn't appear to be the big name type of manager, but generally Pep doesn't go for those type of big name players, and he made an exception for Haaland. United have gone for Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, etc., and it hasn't helped us, so ETH will have to make a call. I wouldn't be shocked to see Brobbey join as a squad player in a year or two.

Reactions: Cheimoon

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
There is always a risk that a player, particularly a striker, will not hit the ground running, and this affects their confidence.... this risk applies to any player, even the best in the world. Of the list of top five goal contributions this season, he is the only one potentially attainable (Neymar, Haaland, Messi and Lewandowski are the others), and he has the added advantages of 1) being Dutch, 2) agreed personal terms, 3) seems to want to come to United. Toney and Osimhen are good players, and may be better "target men", but they will be far more expensive, and Gakpo has a higher ceiling. I think we will need two more strikers, so we should go for Gakpo in January, and try to unearth the next Kane / Lewandowski / Benzema. At the moment, Sesko is the one I'm watching, but he isn't ready yet, and is likely to cost silly money from the RB business. Mbappe for free in 2024 is also one to consider, but ETH will have to think whether he wants a "star" player, who may unsettle the dressing room. ETH doesn't appear to be the big name type of manager, but generally Pep doesn't go for those type of big name players, and he made an exception for Haaland. United have gone for Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, etc., and it hasn't helped us, so ETH will have to make a call. I wouldn't be shocked to see Brobbey join as a squad player in a year or two.
not sure how you think Zlatan didn't help. I'd take him at 38 ahead of Gapko because because you know exactly what you are getting - and he gives it to you. I remain to be convinced by Gapko. I don't see Toney as an answer either. I don't know enough about Sesko to comment but Osimhen just doesn't look right for us either

Erik the Red

not sure how you think Zlatan didn't help. I'd take him at 38 ahead of Gapko because because you know exactly what you are getting - and he gives it to you. I remain to be convinced by Gapko. I don't see Toney as an answer either. I don't know enough about Sesko to comment but Osimhen just doesn't look right for us either
Zlatan was a big name player, and although he played well for us in the short time he was here, and he was the only one of the three who didn't appear to negatively impact the dressing room, he didn't help the rebuild as he was another stopgap striker. My point for Zlatan was that United have tended to sign quite a few big name players (probably a deliberate board level policy to keep a high profile). Also signing players on high salaries creates tensions with lots of players thinking they deserve more than X, which doesn't really happen so much if you sign lower profile players, whose salaries are lower than the existing first team. Finally, I would not take him at 38, as we have already made the mistake of signing a striker in their late 30s....

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Of course but I’ve always been of the opinion there’s risks and there’s risks if you know what I mean?

There are some players who have shown enough maturity and talent to be worth a shot personally I think Gakpo is such a fantastic final third player that while a risk he’s a calculated one.

Im not sure it’s fair to say Ibrahimovic didn’t work he did but he was never a long term solution.

I’d love to see Gakpo and Sesko as future forward options though.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Fighting off Everton and Southampton. That’s just sad!

what’s his acceleration and top speed like? We need players with proper speed up front. We used to be arguably the fastest team in the league, now not so much.
He’s very quick. Less so from a standing start but he’s not a close quarters dribbler more of a powerful runner (although he’s also a good dribbler).

Im fully sold on him as a forward option.

Rolaholic

He's going to cost a pretty penny after the world cup

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
His second goal is a must see. Real screamer.

12 goals, 10 assists, subbed after an hour to save him from injuries. Waiting for the Ajax fans to tell me, FC Zurich is amateur level (and they probably are right )

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

12 goals, 10 assists, subbed after an hour to save him from injuries. Waiting for the Ajax fans to tell me, FC Zurich is amateur level (and they probably are right )
In his defence the team we played tonight aren't far off that description and we struggled to a 3-2 win.

If he's that good let's get him signed for next season.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
In his defence the team we played tonight aren't far off that description and we struggled to a 3-2 win.

If he's that good let's get him signed for next season.
i am not allow to post media, but just lookup his second goal…..

Thoms

Supports
Ajax

Goes missing in most European games. Is a winger on the position where Rashford plays. All or nothing player with very limited linkup play. Good for a Westham.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Goes missing in most European games. Is a winger on the position where Rashford plays. All or nothing player with very limited linkup play. Good for a Westham.
“Is not good in top matches”;
17 matches against Feyenoord and Ajax,
6 goals
8 assists

“Goes missing in most European games”
38 matches (inclusing 11 in his debut season as a 19 year old youngster, in which he netted only once)
15 goals
5 assists

Not that bad?

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
“Is not good in top matches”;
17 matches against Feyenoord and Ajax,
6 goals
8 assists

“Goes missing in most European games”
38 matches (inclusing 11 in his debut season as a 19 year old youngster, in which he netted only once)
15 goals
5 assists

Not that bad?
Yes, statmerchant. And that’s why you didn’t qualify for the CL vs an awful Rangers. He never performs when he has to. Also sum up the teams he played against in Europe in which he scored.
Has a decent shot and a good corner, besides that not that special.
I wont sum up the teams you faced in Europe and in which he didn’t score because its emberassing.

And why bring him in when we got Rashford on the left?

Last edited:

House Mkhitaryan

Get this guy in here.

Guys like Haaland, Lewandowski, Messi, etc. are guaranteed to perform and rarely every go into an exdended poor run of form. We are not at the level that we can attract players of this caliber but we have the chance to get players that can really look good when in form. Gakpo appears to fit in this category. Add him to our front-line attackers who also fit this description (Rashford, Martial, Antony, Sancho, Bruno) then just play whoever is in-form with the hope that one or more eventually make the leap to undroppable status.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Yes, statmerchant. And that’s why you didn’t qualify for the CL vs an awful Rangers. He never performs when he has to.
Can’t argue against this much stupidity.
Yes, statmerchant. And that’s why you didn’t qualify for the CL vs an awful Rangers. He never performs when he has to.
I wont sum up the teams you faced in Europe and in which he didn’t score because its emberassing.

And why bring him in when we got Rashford on the left?
Did Antony score against fcking Appolonia? Shitty player isn’t he?

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Can’t argue against this much stupidity.

Did Antony score against fcking Appolonia? Shitty playser isn’t he?
Which stupidity? The fact that he never shows up in European games? Its a fact. Dont see the need for him at UTD with Rashford and Sancho. He’s not a striker.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Which stupidity? The fact that he never shows up in European games? Its a fact. Dont see the need for him at UTD with Rashford and Sancho. He’s not a striker.
maybe, just maybe, it’s a little different to play up front with players like Saibari, Bakayoko and Vertesen, then it is with players like Tadic, and Haller. This season Gakpo is the one and only quality player PSV has in the attacking line. All has to come from him (and yes, against CL quality teams, playing double defence on him, that didn’t go well)

Have you seen Gakpo play with some better players recently? Maybe at the Dutch team? How did he play?

Let’s see; you’re now gonna argue Belgium and Wales have dramatic teams? (especially for you: 9 matches, 3 goals, 2 assists in Dutch team in 585 mins)

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
maybe, just maybe, it’s a little different to play up front with players like Saibari, Bakayoko and Vertesen, then it is with players like Tadic, and Haller. This season Gakpo is the one and only quality player PSV has in the attacking line. All has to come from him (and yes, against CL quality teams, playing double defence on him, that didn’t go well)

Have you seen Gakpo play with some better players recently? Maybe at the Dutch team? How did he play?

Let’s see; you’re now gonna argue Belgium and Wales have dramatic teams? (especially for you: 9 matches, 3 goals, 2 assists in Dutch team in 585 mins)
Well, thats a fair point. I do like Gakpo in the NT. I am just extremely fed up with him in the European games as I always root for Psv and time and time again he has disappointed me (especially in both games vs Rangers he was shocking imo). Do you rate him higher than Bergwijn and Memphis and if so, why?
I still don’t see him moving to UTD as the left side is fine? Do you see him converting to a striker?

Last edited:

Red00012

He’d go to Liverpool they’ll turn him into the next Mane.
He’s come to us we’d turn him into the next Bebe

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He’s an absolute machine anyone who doesn’t see it by now can get to feck.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can't help but feel we missed our chance to get him for a reasonable fee. Did his contract get renewed in the end?

Demaw

Yes, statmerchant. And that’s why you didn’t qualify for the CL vs an awful Rangers. He never performs when he has to. Also sum up the teams he played against in Europe in which he scored.

This sounds like we are talking about Pogba again? Bossing the bad teams and missing in the big games???

MUnchies

He’d go to Liverpool they’ll turn him into the next Mane.
He’s come to us we’d turn him into the next Bebe
No one wanted him here during the transfer window anyways so why does it matter. Apparently it was a disgrace we were linked with him and we should be aiming for flashy names.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
No one wanted him here during the transfer window anyways so why does it matter. Apparently it was a disgrace we were linked with him and we should be aiming for flashy names.
Many people did want him. Those whose instant reaction isn’t to turn their nose up at the Dutch league.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So, why does it matter no one here wanted him?

Status
Not open for further replies.