Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcucumber

No one wanted him here during the transfer window anyways so why does it matter. Apparently it was a disgrace we were linked with him and we should be aiming for flashy names.
People love attributing random throwaway opinions to the entirety of this fanbase, like we're a nice big monolith.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's gone mental this season - absolutely enormous numbers. If he's genuinely that great then of course we should be interested. But my issue would remain the same - I think he likes coming off the left which is Rashford and Sancho's preference too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His numbers can't be ignored, those are brilliant stats.

I hope we are still in for him, we don't have good options in the squad.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Well, thats a fair point. I do like Gakpo at the NT. I am just extremely fed up with him in the European games as I always root for Psv and time and time again he has disappointed me (especially in both games vs Rangers he was shocking imo). Do you rate him higher than Bergwijn and Memphis and if so, why?
I still don’t see him moving to UTD as the left side is fine? Do you see him converting to a striker?
Memphis had great stats when he left PSV, and scored a lot of beautiful goals. His decision-making however has always been poor. Memphis makes extra dribbles when he needs to pass, and due to his flair he often misses great goal-scoring chances.

I rated Bergwijn lower then Memphis, because he lacks the clinical instinct of a real striker. Bergwijn was fast, but also missed loads of good opportunities. Besides that, he’s too soft for top-level football.

If you look at Gakpo’s gameplay, he might not seem that special, the way he plays is not very spectaculair (opposit from Antony and also Memphis) but….. Gakpo has that special clinical finishing skill that make me expect him to reach a higher top-level then Memphis and Bergwijn. His efficiency is just extremely, extremely high.

To answer your question, do i think Gakpo is better then Memphis and Bergwijn? I would say no. Not purely based on his gameplay in the PSV squad. Do I think his top level will exceed Memphis and Bergwijn? Definately.

Do i think he can convert to a striker? He hasn’t played there too often in the PSV squad, but based on his central position in de Dutch national squad and how he progresses there quickly, i think he has the potential to become a Henri-like striker…….

Reactions: Cheimoon

pascell

No one wanted him here during the transfer window anyways so why does it matter. Apparently it was a disgrace we were linked with him and we should be aiming for flashy names.
The narrative was that he wasn't ready yet, there's plenty of variables in a players development, United not signing him might have given him greater determination to succeed for all we know.

But what we definitely do know, is that his numbers are impressive and we need an energetic, tricky player going through the middle that can press and link play, he fits the bill.

MrSingh2002

Personal terms were already agreed with United.....

I think those term demands might be changing from Gakpo's side. United are idiots.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Goes missing in most European games. Is a winger on the position where Rashford plays. All or nothing player with very limited linkup play. Good for a Westham.
Fecking bullshit. He was PSV's best player in their European campaign last season. He was also the best player in the champion league qualifiers against that Portugese club that knocked you guys out. Just because he had 2 poor games when he was on United's radar at the end of this summer and that's the moment you started watching their European games, does not mean that's the only games he's played in Europe.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Fecking bullshit. He was PSV's best player in their European campaign last season. He was also the best player in the champion league qualifiers against that Portugese club that knocked you guys out. Just because he had 2 poor games when he was on United's radar at the end of this summer and that's the moment you started watching their European games, does not mean that's the only games he's played in Europe.
Preach!

People are also judging him based on some crazy Roy of the Rovers notion that he should be always winning games single handedly. The fact he does this so often is outstanding and of course there will be games where it won’t happen.

Put Gakpo in an Ajax side and they would be walking the league. The only reason PSV are anywhere near the conversation is Gakpo. He is their attack.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Preach!

People are also judging him based on some crazy Roy of the Rovers notion that he should be always winning games single handedly. The fact he does this so often is outstanding and of course there will be games where it won’t happen.

Put Gakpo in an Ajax side and they would be walking the league. The only reason PSV are anywhere near the conversation is Gakpo. He is their attack.
Spot on. I challenge any other international forward to deliver the stats Cody does, whilst playing besides mediocre youth players like Vertesen, Saibari and Bakayoko….

He has to do it all by himself

JohnnyLaw

I don’t understand the craving for this guy, especially after last night.

He’s only 1 and a half years younger than Rashford who’d probably run riot too if he played in the eredivisie/europa league every year.

With Sancho/Rashford we’re set on the LW. Until he transitions into a CF I don’t see the point of him.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's by no means a world beater at the highest level, but one thing is for sure; he's better than Antony.

Abraxas

Seems ETH was right on many of our targets. Arnautovic looking good, this guy is flying. Most of our signings look promising with the exception of Casemiro so far.

I would be surprised if we're not massively in for this guy again.

MUnchies

The narrative was that he wasn't ready yet, there's plenty of variables in a players development, United not signing him might have given him greater determination to succeed for all we know.

But what we definitely do know, is that his numbers are impressive and we need an energetic, tricky player going through the middle that can press and link play, he fits the bill.
The narrative was he wasn't good enough. He won dutch player of the year, of course he was ready. If anything he was more ready than Antony. I believe he played few champions league games after we were linked and most people made their mind that he wasn't good. It went as far as fans saying ETH didn't know what he was doing trying to sign dutch league players and that we didn't even need a left wing or I am making this up?

But anyways he will definitely be great addition for the left wing like you said he has great numbers and attributes.

People love attributing random throwaway opinions to the entirety of this fanbase, like we're a nice big monolith.
Majority on here didn't want him. I didn't mean EVERY single fan didn't want him, common sense should tell you that. Same with Martinez before we signed him most people didn't believe he will cut it in the premier league even more so after two games. How is that going now?

So, why does it matter no one here wanted him?
The point I was trying to make in general was our fan base like bashing players especially ours or ones we have been linked with without trying to give them any chance at all. After they the player has proved them wrong then it is we have to get him at all cost or

croadyman

Seems ETH was right on many of our targets. Arnautovic looking good, this guy is flying. Most of our signings look promising with the exception of Casemiro so far.

If Arnautovic hadn't behaved like a prat in the past our fanbase would have been more open to it

reddevilz007

Even Rabiot seems rejuvenated.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Laugh all you want, Gakpo has done 10 times as much in the Dutch league at a similar age and at a worse team.
Not about who is a better player now, more about the talent they possess and what level they could reach, and suitability to the team. We didn't and don't need Gakpo. We needed a hard working but talented left footed right winger. And we got one.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not about who is a better player now, more about the talent they possess and what level they could reach, and suitability to the team. We didn't and don't need Gakpo. We needed a hard working but talented left footed right winger. And we got one.
I honestly doubt either will become world class, though true you definitely dont need Gakpo.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Gakpo current season at PSV: G/A every 54.7mins

Suárez last season at Ajax: G/A every 56.2mins

But tell me Gakpo isn’t good enough :wenger:

Telsim

We need to push hard and get this done way before January. Have it set and ready to go on day 1. He could play as a LW or a CF, either will do, especially once we move Ronaldo.

Thiagoal

Looks like a player with huge potential but I just don’t see the point in terms of our current squad make up. Sancho, Rashford and Garnacho are all best in the position that Gakpo seems best in. We really need investment in other areas before signing another similar player!

Status
Not open for further replies.