Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strelok

But likewise I see Rashford not look great against teams in europa league who are levels lower than the teams in Eredivise. Also Rashford plays in a team which is significantly better than PSV so naturally gets more supply and opportunities. The chances Rashford had against Newcastle and spurs, I would fancy Gakpo to finish a couple of them at least. It’s all ifs and buts.

If ETH insists on us signing him, then I fully trust his judgment much more than my own or any other fans.
Imo it's the last match against Omonoia which gives you that illusion. Truth is Rashford usually plays pretty well against those small teams. He can terrorise their defenders simply with his pace and power. For example in the first match against that same Omonoia Rashford came on as a sub and scored like almost immediately showing Ronaldo how easy it was. The last match against Omonoia was actually the match when Rashford started his current dry spell. Imo we can't use that single match when he was probably at his lowest finishing form to judge him.

Imo like you many of our fans don't understand how good Rashford actually is or his current level simply because most of our fans often only watch United and don't watch other teams and especially other leagues. If he plays for a lesser team he'd cost us easily £150m or even more with his current CV especially in the big matches. And the caf would be drooling over his crazy highlights and CV.

It's difficult to explain but tbh when I watch the highlights of this lad I feel he's simply slower, less explosive and less powerful than Rashford. Especially when the tempo of the situations in those highlights is quite slow too. The PL is simply much much faster. There's also so many instances where they cut the replay to keep just the good part and left out what's next which is the part when he fecks up I'd say. He seems still very raw imo.

Rob Bowman

Here is my question for anyone who watches the Dutch League or PSV in particular.

Can or does he play as a 9?

Transfermarkt and all the other sites I can find list him as a LW. We have Rashford, Martial, and Sancho who can all play there and play it well. In addition Elanga favors the LW. I have no desire for more LWs. I think we need an out and out #9 and my initial searches do not show Gakpo to be that man.

Hit me with your knowledge my astute cafetards :)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Crazy PSV lost today. Conceded 3 goals in 5 minutes, hit the wood work 4 times and created a fecktonne of chances. Their defense is just so insanely bad.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Crazy PSV lost today. Conceded 3 goals in 5 minutes, hit the wood work 4 times and created a fecktonne of chances. Their defense is just so insanely bad.
They are an awful side with Gakpo and Simons stand outs keeping them afloat.

Chief123

I don’t mean to sound dismissive or insulting of peoples opinions, but this is a genuine question to those who are adamant we should not be signing Gakpo…

It’s given that ETH is an incredibly estute manager with an eye for the smallest of details. He’s also proving to be one of the best up and coming managers in Europe.

Based on that, would you trust ETH’s opinion on whether we should sign Gakpo or would you still trust your own opinion over ETH’s?

We’ve already seen all of ETHs signings proving to be a success so far and bringing things to the team that we didn’t even know some of them had. Surely ETH has warranted enough credit for us to trust his judgment?

MadMike

I don’t mean to sound dismissive or insulting of peoples opinions, but this is a genuine question to those who are adamant we should not be signing Gakpo…

It’s given that ETH is an incredibly estute manager with an eye for the smallest of details. He’s also proving to be one of the best up and coming managers in Europe.

Based on that, would you trust ETH’s opinion on whether we should sign Gakpo or would you still trust your own opinion over ETH’s?

We’ve already seen all of ETHs signings proving to be a success so far and bringing things to the team that we didn’t even know some of them had. Surely ETH has warranted enough credit for us to trust his judgment?
Even the most astute of managers sign duds and besides, people can have their own opinion and still trust the manager (even when those opinions differ).

Chief123

Even the most astute of managers sign duds and besides, people can have their own opinion and still trust the manager (even when those opinions differ).
Of course, every manager can get a signing wrong. But even I would always trust ETH’s opinion on a signing over my own as he’s significantly more qualified to make that call.

I’m just seeing posts showing despair that we’re interested in him. If the manager insists on us signing him then I’m all for it.

Gerald G

I know he's smashing it in the Dutch league but I really think he will flop here. I don't know what it is about him but something is just not really moving me

Stadjer

The signings he made at Ajax havent all been perfect though. Its not like ETH is immune to making any mistakes....

There is enough reason to worry about signing Gakpo. He does well in our Eredivisie but Bergwijn and Memphis did better in my opinion. Both didnt make it in England. Malen was also doing really well for PSV but he isnt amazing at Dortmund. Gakpo hasnt really shown anything special this season in the European games, the games that were the most important games of the year for PSV. People here love to hate on Rashford but put him in this PSV team and he will look amazing. Antony is doing okay for Manchester United but there is a bit of a track record of very good Eredivisie players who didnt make it in the Premier League.

Gakpo was basically invisible against Arsenal, understandable since Arsenal dominated and it would be hard to show anything when playing as a left winger in that situation. However Simons and Maduke did manage to show atleast moments of quality. Gakpo didnt show a thing.

Im not against signing Gakpo but i am worried that Gakpo wont make it in England.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The signings he made at Ajax havent all been perfect though. Its not like ETH is immune to making any mistakes....

There is enough reason to worry about signing Gakpo. He does well in our Eredivisie but Bergwijn and Memphis did better in my opinion. Both didnt make it in England. Malen was also doing really well for PSV but he isnt amazing at Dortmund. Gakpo hasnt really shown anything special this season in the European games, the games that were the most important games of the year for PSV. People here love to hate on Rashford but put him in this PSV team and he will look amazing. Antony is doing okay for Manchester United but there is a bit of a track record of very good Eredivisie players who didnt make it in the Premier League.

Gakpo was basically invisible against Arsenal, understandable since Arsenal dominated and it would be hard to show anything when playing as a left winger in that situation. However Simons and Maduke did manage to show atleast moments of quality. Gakpo didnt show a thing.

Im not against signing Gakpo but i am worried that Gakpo wont make it in England.
Gakpo has broken the record for G/A per minute so far in the Eredivise there literally hasn’t been anyone perform at his level in Eredivise as far back as any data I can find.

I don’t for one second think he could match that output (or he’d come in and be outperforming Haaland) in the PL but I think it’s ludicrous the comparisons being made to players whose styles are quite different and who also were playing in very different set ups too.

Gakpo is as close to a sure fire thing the Eredivise has produced in forward areas since Suarez. He could flop but I think it’s so unlikely that for the 30/40m you’d pay it would be worth it.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's not even out until November is it?

As an aside, how did he do against Arsenal the other night? Never saw it as that's a good gauge of his ability for me
Never got a look in but anyone fairly analysing that game would put it down to Arsenal’s team performance being miles ahead of PSVs not any major fault from Gakpo.

PSV didn’t have the players to get the ball to him consistently they aren’t a terrific side and Gakpo has never been and never will be the Roy of the Rovers type. He’s a really good winger/inside forward get him the ball around the box and he’ll score or create.

Telsim

It's not even out until November is it?

As an aside, how did he do against Arsenal the other night? Never saw it as that's a good gauge of his ability for me
He couldn't do anything because the ball pretty much never left PSV's half.

Again, if Madrid aren't serious, then we should get this done way before January.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Never got a look in but anyone fairly analysing that game would put it down to Arsenal’s team performance being miles ahead of PSVs not any major fault from Gakpo.

PSV didn’t have the players to get the ball to him consistently they aren’t a terrific side and Gakpo has never been and never will be the Roy of the Rovers type. He’s a really good winger/inside forward get him the ball around the box and he’ll score or create.
That's what concerns me, I've seen bits and his numbers look brilliant, whether he can replicate in the premier league I would give ETH the benefit of the doubt but he's not a #9 who is going to be the focal point and that is so badly what we need.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That's what concerns me, I've seen bits and his numbers look brilliant, whether he can replicate in the premier league I would give ETH the benefit of the doubt but he's not a #9 who is going to be the focal point and that is so badly what we need.
Thing is he has everything he needs to be a very good fluid CF. He is powerful, skilful and his decision making is excellent too.

His ball striking ability is arguably the best in the Eredivise too.

I don’t see any reason why a good coach couldn’t turn him into an excellent CF.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Thing is he has everything he needs to be a very good fluid CF. He is powerful, skilful and his decision making is excellent too.

His ball striking ability is arguably the best in the Eredivise too.

I don’t see any reason why a good coach couldn’t turn him into an excellent CF.
What's his hold up play, strength, aerial ability, ability to create space etc like?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What's his hold up play, strength, aerial ability, ability to create space etc like?
He’s very strong especially for a winger so hold up isn’t an issue and he wins his aerial duels within 76th percentile for the league (so well above average)

He’s 6ft 2 and solid so the physical side of the game isn’t a problem.

Creating space is excellent. He knows where to find it in pockets for assists but also excels in driving into it for his goals.

I very rarely get excited by Eredivise talents the last player I wanted for United was Teun Koopmeiners from AZ (the other club I’m a fan of) and he’s been a huge part of Atalanta BC’s successes this season.

Gakpo when he moves will score and assist at any club level not at the same rate but he will do it.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He’s very strong especially for a winger so hold up isn’t an issue and he wins his aerial duels within 76th percentile for the league (so well above average)

He’s 6ft 2 and solid so the physical side of the game isn’t a problem.

Creating space is excellent. He knows where to find it in pockets for assists but also excels in driving into it for his goals.

I very rarely get excited by Eredivise talents the last player I wanted for United was Teun Koopmeiners from AZ (the other club I’m a fan of) and he’s been a huge part of Atalanta BC’s successes this season.

Gakpo when he moves will score and assist at any club level not at the same rate but he will do it.
That's a shame as I don't see us getting him, so much talk of him leaving in January and our reluctance do any business in January as multiple sources have stated

Jordan_mufc

That's a shame as I don't see us getting him, so much talk of him leaving in January and our reluctance do any business in January as multiple sources have stated
I can see that changing if Ronaldo leave in January as reported. There's no way we go into the 2nd half of the season with just Martial as a striker

reddevilz007

Lisandro Martinez says hi

Abraxas

Looks a bit of a no brainer does this lad. I don't see ETH not going back in for him. He was already interested and he's kicked on another level.

Nick7

Steven Bergwijn who was tearing the Eredivisie up at PSV, failed at Spurs and is now again tearing the Eredivisie up for Ajax says hi back.
Some players work, some don't. It's not specific to Eredivisie or any league really. We'd know best given the amount of Premier League proven players we've bought that have turned out to be shite in a United jersey.

Stadjer

How did he fail at Spurs? I wouldnt call 1 goal or assist every 5 games for a 22 ro 24 year old winger a complete failure.
Complete failure is a bit harsh i suppose, he didnt fail like Vincent Janssen did at Spurs or Jahanbakhsh at Brighton but Bergwijn didnt exactly live up to expectation either. Although i do think Bergwijn is good enough to play in the Premier League, he isnt good enough to compete with Kane and Son.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Steven Bergwijn who was tearing the Eredivisie up at PSV, failed at Spurs and is now again tearing the Eredivisie up for Ajax says hi back.
In context though Bergwijn best season was:
2018-19: 15g 13a in 3509 mins so a goal or assist every 125.32 mins.

Gakpo this current season:
13g 13a in 1609 mins so a goal or assist every 66.81 mins.

Now can you see why I’m confident Gakpo is a bit better?

Edit: updated stats

Last edited:

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Complete failure is a bit harsh i suppose, he didnt fail like Vincent Janssen did at Spurs or Jahanbakhsh at Brighton but Bergwijn didnt exactly live up to expectation either. Although i do think Bergwijn is good enough to play in the Premier League, he isnt good enough to compete with Kane and Son.
In the right system he wouldnt have to. The lad obviously has talent.

Grande

In context though Bergwijn best season was:
2018-19: 15g 13a in 3509 mins so a goal or assist every 125.32 mins.

Gakpo this current season:
20g 13a in 1609 mins so a goal or assist every 48.75 mins.

Now can you see why I’m confident Gakpo is a bit better?
Wikipedia says Gakpo has 20 games and 13 goals this current season. What is correct?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Wikipedia says Gakpo has 20 games and 13 goals this current season. What is correct?
Apologies it’s 13g 13a in 1609 mins so a G/A every 66.81 mins.

Still better than Bergwijn’s best season in under half the minutes.

This is why I find the lazy comparisons tiresome. He’s levels above all those other players and the only remotely comparable modern equivalent was Luis Suarez who still couldn’t match Gakpo stats wise this season.

Grande

Apologies it’s 13g 13a in 1609 mins so a G/A every 66.81 mins.

Still better than Bergwijn’s best season in under half the minutes.

This is why I find the lazy comparisons tiresome. He’s levels above all those other players and the only remotely comparable modern equivalent was Luis Suarez who still couldn’t match Gakpo stats wise this season.
Ok. I haven’t wached the player bar a 20 minute spell, so I have no idea. What makes me a bit sceptical to relying on stats alone, is of course that he has this kind of stats only in a 20 game spell during three years at PSV, and the memories of players like Aphonso Avez and a few others with very high stats over a seoson or more, not being close to Suarez quality. This was pretty evident watching them. Seem very few of those who have watched Gakpo play thinks he is a Suarez level of talent, but I wouldn’t know.

Rob Bowman

And I am still asking those who watch and know better than I...

Does he play as a #9?

Everything I have seen has him on LW.

Than you in advance!!

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah people that criticize any attacker for being "invisible" when his team is being dominated and can't even get the ball are clueless in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.