Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwooyo

From the little I have seen of him in live games last season and this season, he looks far off from manutd level. If we do sign him, it should be cheaply and he will need time to adopt. Overall, he wasnt impressive watching live...he isnt an exciting dribbler who pins his full back or dazzles...he was more of a highlights player. Anthony was way more exciting to watch last season in comparison to gakpo. I think waiting for the world cup is the best option becoz he currently doesn't impress against top european opponents and its not clear whether its becoz psv are so bad or becoz he is not that good. Seeing him play for the national team over a few games should clear doubts on his quality in the short term

Actually to me, he disappears for long stretches of the game. If fans take issue with martial or sancho for disappearing in many games, gakpo is like the max pro version of that and I think it will be a long rough journey if he makes the move to manutd

Chief123

Complete failure is a bit harsh i suppose, he didnt fail like Vincent Janssen did at Spurs or Jahanbakhsh at Brighton but Bergwijn didnt exactly live up to expectation either. Although i do think Bergwijn is good enough to play in the Premier League, he isnt good enough to compete with Kane and Son.
There aren’t many wingers or forwards that excel numbers wise under the management of Jose Mourinho. He is the most anti-forward football.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And I am still asking those who watch and know better than I...

Does he play as a #9?

Everything I have seen has him on LW.

Than you in advance!!
He stats on the left wing but drifts inside to the CF position regularly.

Max the LB flies forward and pretty much runs the flank by himself, similar to how we use to utilise Evra.

Wing Attack Plan R

Thing is he has everything he needs to be a very good fluid CF. He is powerful, skilful and his decision making is excellent too.

His ball striking ability is arguably the best in the Eredivise too.

I don’t see any reason why a good coach couldn’t turn him into an excellent CF.
Hi - you seem to have watched Gakpo enough to have an informed opinion on him, so how does he compare to Memphis Depay? I am one of those who think we didn’t give Memphis enough time and that he would have come good. His numbers at Barcelona were also good, and he was available this summer for peanuts. Would you have re-signed him? Aside from Gakpo’s stats, does he look like the real deal to you?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ok. I haven’t wached the player bar a 20 minute spell, so I have no idea. What makes me a bit sceptical to relying on stats alone, is of course that he has this kind of stats only in a 20 game spell during three years at PSV, and the memories of players like Aphonso Avez and a few others with very high stats over a seoson or more, not being close to Suarez quality. This was pretty evident watching them. Seem very few of those who have watched Gakpo play thinks he is a Suarez level of talent, but I wouldn’t know.
I never rely on stats alone. They only tell you so much. But the stats combined with what he is consistently doing when given any kind of reasonable service is sublime.

Gakpo also has excellent stats for his minutes in the previous season. What you are seeing now is absolutely no surprise to me or others who have been following him for the last 3 years. He’s a really good player and has surpassed any forward in recent Eredivise history from a stats point of view by a mile:

Im always conscious of overselling players but I don’t feel I am with Gakpo. I’m not saying he’s a better player than Suarez but he is absolutely capable of impacting games more regularly than Suarez at the same age.
Hi - you seem to have watched Gakpo enough to have an informed opinion on him, so how does he compare to Memphis Depay? I am one of those who think we didn’t give Memphis enough time and that he would have come good. His numbers at Barcelona were also good, and he was available this summer for peanuts. Would you have re-signed him? Aside from Gakpo’s stats, does he look like the real deal to you?
Very different players. Depay at this stage in his career wasn’t anywhere near as mature in his decision making and was in my view a much flashier player with less end product.

I do think Depay has turned into a good player with a respectable career too but I personally think Gakpo is better at this point in their careers. He may not be as flashy but he’s making the difference so consistently with such excellent decision making that I find it really hard to see a future where he suddenly doesn’t perform well.

My recommendation would be to watch his next 3 games and make your own mind up. He doesn’t need much or long to affect a game a lot.

Golden Nugget

I don’t want to watch his highlights - but an important factor for me is what are his goals like.

The Dutch league has terrible defence, so if it’s dribbling past them and scoring I have less confidence of him succeeding in the PL. on the other hand, if it’s well timed runs and tap ins etc. it’s what I want, and what the team is really lacking right now

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don’t want to watch his highlights - but an important factor for me is what are his goals like.

The Dutch league has terrible defence, so if it’s dribbling past them and scoring I have less confidence of him succeeding in the PL. on the other hand, if it’s well timed runs and tap ins etc. it’s what I want, and what the team is really lacking right now
He scores all types of goals

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

He scores outside, inside with thunderbolts and tap ins.

His timing of his runs is very good.

He’s got a good leap on him too but he’s not the greatest at heading something he could develop. Every other type of finish be it volleys, first time, drilled or placed he’s very good.

As I’ve said before I think he’s probably the best ball striker in Eredivise.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Interesting player. If people are expecting a Salah/Mane type of player they will probably be disappointed, but he got quite a lot going for himself. Including a great cross! Not sold on him, but if we are going to bring him in next to a striker it would be interesting.

DarkXaero

Is lack of intensity a real concern with him? Find that hard to believe, given his productivity.

Wrecking ralf

Has he actually played as a striker to even think about us signing him to be one? Are there any highlights from a game he played there

criticalanalysis

Interesting player. If people are expecting a Salah/Mane type of player they will probably be disappointed, but he got quite a lot going for himself. Including a great cross! Not sold on him, but if we are going to bring him in next to a striker it would be interesting.
Yes, based on these highlights, on paper it looks like he's definitely got the base qualities and technique to do well here. I can see hold up play, good short passing, good crossing and good ball carrying.

However, my one question to people, who have followed him, has does he rate mentally and in personality? For example, it's arguable to say there isn't much of a difference in the 'quality' and potential between say a Sancho and Antony, yet for now at least the latter has the fire and mentality. Imo it's what making Antony a more effective player for us now even if it's a small sample size. Same for Martinez and even Malacia.

Gakpo will probably have the backing of ETH if he comes here but will he 'meek' along in inconsistent game minutes or be a fired up option whenever he plays? Obviously he's still young so it may take time for him to fully integrate but that would be interesting to assess from PSV fans.

Chief123

I know it’s difficult to compare how he would do in EPL compared to Dutch league.

However I don’t think it’s always that straight forward where you base a player just on the quality of league alone.

The key thing I look at in these situations is things like his technique, body shape when taking shots, composure and timing of runs. He seems to have a very clean and precise shooting and passing/crossing technique. He travels well with the ball. These are all attributes that would be useful in any league and .

I do think players can excel and go to another level with better players around them as well.

RopersReturn

Xavi looks like a good kid, lovely little mazy run through the Arsenal defenders. Shame the goal was off-side.

Idxomer

Still haven't been impressed by him.

I'm not sure he'll become a striker either, he gets brushed off the ball too easily.

croadyman

Would take this guy provided we get that out and out striker as well,otherwise we are still lacking goals

mu4c_20le

Take away the offside rule and I think this lad could genuinely be better than Haaland

Amira

His crossing seems to be excellent . If only he would simply stay onside

El Jefe

I still can't see what the point of this signing is if we keep Rashford.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't think he's a CF so not much use for us unless Rashford or Sancho leave

Status
Not open for further replies.