Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

Transfermarkt has him down as being able to play on the left, right and centre.

Never seen him come off the right in limited YouTube clips (mainly left forward) but that level of versatility is worth it, especially for that price.

the hea

We have Sancho, Rashford, Garnacho and Elanga that can play on the left, Gakpo is an exciting player, but we have no need for him. There are multiple positions in the squad that need to be reinforced so signing a fifth left winger is not something we should be wasting money on.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
How many times do we have to write - Ten Hag see's him as a CF. Before people stop writing "We don't need another LF/LW" ?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We paid more for Amad ffs get him in.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I still don't think he's proven nearly enough against actual quality sides to be a great bet as a Man Utd player, but for the price being quoted we may as well take the punt.

Shouldn't have too much issue recouping our money even if he looks like Afonso Alves.

phelans shorts

Not sure why this thread is active when United have Sancho>Rashford>Elanga>Garnacho that can all play from the same position.

Considering money is tight a CF should be higher on the priority list.
Rashford is going to be needed through the middle regularly to cover for Martial, Sancho is struggling, Elanga is never going to be a top player and Garnacho is still very raw. We also need to cover Antony on the right which all of those players (including Gakpo) would be able to do their bit with.

For the fee listed, it’s a punt worth taking.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Rashford is going to be needed through the middle regularly to cover for Martial, Sancho is struggling, Elanga is never going to be a top player and Garnacho is still very raw. We also need to cover Antony on the right which all of those players (including Gakpo) would be able to do their bit with.

For the fee listed, it’s a punt worth taking.
We will likely buy a striker soon. Then we will have Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Garnacho who prefer to play on the left or up top. Dont make much sense to spend money on Gakpo then.

phelans shorts

We will likely buy a striker soon. Then we will have Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga, Garnacho who prefer to play on the left or up top. Dont make much sense to spend money on Gakpo then.
Let’s be real here, Elanga will probably go to Brighton or somewhere. Martial will be centre forward competition/cover with Rashford needed there at times, Garnacho it’s way too early to say. We badly need bodies with quality in the forward line.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Let’s be real here, Elanga will probably go to Brighton or somewhere. Martial will be centre forward competition/cover with Rashford needed there at times, Garnacho it’s way too early to say. We badly need bodies with quality in the forward line.
If we get a striker, I think Rashford will compete with Sancho. I also think Martial could be an option out left if we get a striker who becomes first choice. In other words, we would have to flexible players as backup to left wing and striker. Do we really need a third? If so, that is it then for Garnacho.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Elanga and Garnacho have no business being in that list. The hard reality is if we intend to challenge next season we currently have 3 attacking players for 3 positions that aren’t either too raw, not good enough, too finished or too injured for a club expecting to win things. We need at least 2 quality attacking players to get the options required.

Jericholyte2

If the Glazers sanction this move, why couldn’t we agree the deal now for the move in Jan, pending a medical closer to the time to avoid being committed to the signing of he were to get a major injury?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Elanga and Garnacho have no business being in that list. The hard reality is if we intend to challenge next season we currently have 3 attacking players for 3 positions that aren’t either too raw, not good enough, too finished or too injured for a club expecting to win things. We need at least 2 quality attacking players to get the options required.
If we buy a striker two out of Rashford, Sancho and Martial is likely to be benched. Really dont get that we should add another player in that mould. If we buybtwo attackers, one or two should be strikers. If one, the orher should be a right winger.

I would get it if it was a huge talent and a great opportunity of some sort. But Coady Gakpo looks like a talent in the same bracket as Bergwijn, Malen and Memphis. There is little that suggest he will be much better than those players. He could, but I dont think it is expected.

SAF is the GOAT

We don't have the money to bring him in and With all due respect I'm not selling Ronaldo for him(but yes for another striker)

Especially when after that we'll have to rely heavily and solely on Rashford as our main striker, that's mad.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So did Sancho's at Dortmund. Thing is, anybody watching Sancho play could see he wasn't really a dribbler, he lacked the kind of elite burst needed to be effective. Most of his dribbling was either to keep possession - avoiding pressure - or in transition situations where he had a running start against a back-pedaling defender in open space. Gakpo is the same. His passing and crossing are great so he projects as a high level creator off of those - like Sancho - but he's also a high volume player, like Bruno, someone who is effective because he monopolizes so much of his team's attacking play

He'd probably be fine in a top league, sure, my point is that Manchester United don't really need him, since they already have Bruno, who is a very similar player. It'd probably end up into another Sancho situation i think
I haven’t watched a lot of him, but my impression was he’s a final third wide forward with explosive pace. I don’t think he wants the ball, he wants to be on the end of the ball. Profile wise that’s different to Sancho and Antony who want to show for it, and different to Fernandes who is actually playing somewhat more conventionally under ten Hag now

Telsim

We don't have the money to bring him in and With all due respect I'm not selling Ronaldo for him(but yes for another striker)

Especially when after that we'll have to rely heavily and solely on Rashford as our main striker, that's mad.
I'd carry Ronaldo to his new team on my back if it means getting Gakpo in.

Get this deal done yesterday! All that should be left by January is to get his luggage from the airport to his house in Manchester. I'm offering my services for that as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I haven’t watched a lot of him, but my impression was he’s a final third wide forward with explosive pace. I don’t think he wants the ball, he wants to be on the end of the ball. Profile wise that’s different to Sancho and Antony who want to show for it, and different to Fernandes who is actually playing somewhat more conventionally under ten Hag now
Nope. He doesn't have explosive pace at all, and he primarily wants the ball to his feet. He's got some off ball moves but not many and doesn't do it much

For Holland he primarily plays as the CAM behind the 2 strikers i think?

DWelbz19

Nope. He doesn't have explosive pace at all, and he primarily wants the ball to his feet. He's got some off ball moves but not many and doesn't do it much

For Holland he primarily plays as the CAM behind the 2 strikers i think?
Interesting. I wasn’t too hot on him in the first place and if what you say is correct, I’d be less inclined now

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If we buy a striker two out of Rashford, Sancho and Martial is likely to be benched. Really dont get that we should add another player in that mould. If we buybtwo attackers, one or two should be strikers. If one, the orher should be a right winger.

I would get it if it was a huge talent and a great opportunity of some sort. But Coady Gakpo looks like a talent in the same bracket as Bergwijn, Malen and Memphis. There is little that suggest he will be much better than those players. He could, but I dont think it is expected.
Except he’s quite literally affecting games more than any Eredivise player in modern history at the moment. He’s not comparable to Bergwijn, Malen and Memphis he’s performing at a much higher level than they ever have and has been consistently now for some time.

It’s just a lazy comparison that gains traction from those who haven’t extensively followed Gakpo.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Except he’s quite literally affecting games more than any Eredivise player in modern history at the moment. He’s not comparable to Bergwijn, Malen and Memphis he’s performing at a much higher level than they ever have and has been consistently now for some time.

It’s just a lazy comparison that gains traction from those who haven’t extensively followed Gakpo.
If you are talking about his g/a per minute ratio after 11 games that is true. But it is not very solid statistically. 11 games is 11 games.

Furthermore, looking more closely at his numbers you notice a few things;

A) How much he has been overperforming his npxg. A trend that «never» last and often regress. In fact, his npxg is significantly lower than Malens and basically the same as Bergwijn.

B) What really makes him stand out is his creative output. But most of which is really a result of corners and freekicks. From open play he is at a similar level as Bergwijn.

The fact that he can create from corners and freekicks is nice! But it is worth noticing when looking at his stats because it is not given he would get tha honour in a team with Eriksen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't know. I feel like we need someone explosive who can consistently beat their man. At least out wide (as opposed to a Rashford / Bruno end product only player)

How many times do we have to write - Ten Hag see's him as a CF. Before people stop writing "We don't need another LF/LW" ?
How do we know that? Everyone here is saying that he doesn't play as CF and his work with back to goal is not good.

themanguydude

If we ever have to rely on playing Ronaldo in an important match, we're fecked.

Absolutely fecked.

With Gakpo, we can at least have Gakpo/Rashford/Antony or Rashford/Gakpo/Antony in important matches if Martial is out and Sancho is out of form.

devil99

If rumoured fees of 25m is true, sell Sancho after this season for 40m if he is not showing any improvement.

Even if Gakpo flops, I am sure we can get more than what is the current fee quoted like Dan James or how usually done by RM and alike, make profit on decent players with reputation.

We can’t wait too long for Sancho to come good especially for the fees and salary involved before his fees starts dropping badly.

Elanga can act as a backup considering he will be earning like a squad player , not a super stars wage like Sancho does. Elanga can help with home grown quota as well. I’m not so sure about Sancho.

Also It is easy to sell fringe players for good fees when the team is doing well.

Red Rash

I would be in two minds about this potential transfer. On one hand his record this season is very good and so far ETHs transfers have been pretty much spot on. I wouldn't doubt that Gapko could come to the team and immediately start to bring some value.

However from what I understand Gapko is playing from the left where we have Sancho, Rashford and potentially Garnacho to cover the role. If Ronaldo leaves in January I think CF is a must since only really Martial can play there and he is suffering quite a few injuries.

If we see Gapko as a CF in team it would make sense otherwise I'm not sure he is the right target at this moment. Maybe the low fee will be one of those "too good to miss out on" kind of deals but I assume this would mean we will move one or two of Sancho (think he will come good), Elanga, Pellistri or Amad on in the next window or two.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We did not - let’s not keep propagating this.
the base fee was very similar at least.

the point being, Gakpo is a better more experienced player.

The only issue for me is Rashford is better as a LW and Garnacho is showing good promise. do we really need him?

Gerald G

He's got flop written all over him - I know that sounds weird with his goal and assist record but there's something about him which makes me not convinced. I feel like he's good in transition but think he will struggle against teams that play a low block. Not saying I would go for him, but Xavi Simons looks more suitable.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If you are talking about his g/a per minute ratio after 11 games that is true. But it is not very solid statistically. 11 games is 11 games.

Furthermore, looking more closely at his numbers you notice a few things;

A) How much he has been overperforming his npxg. A trend that «never» last and often regress. In fact, his npxg is significantly lower than Malens and basically the same as Bergwijn.

B) What really makes him stand out is his creative output. But most of which is really a result of corners and freekicks. From open play he is at a similar level as Bergwijn.

The fact that he can create from corners and freekicks is nice! But it is worth noticing when looking at his stats because it is not given he would get tha honour in a team with Eriksen.
Go back even to his previous seasons you can see a clear progression in him game play he’s more direct and more forceful in his creativity.

The reason he’s outperformed his xG is because believe it or not he’s an outstanding striker of the ball. He’s a very good finisher with a wide variety of finishes he’s not a hit it and hope player.

He is very creative but not only from corners and free kicks which you note are excellent rather than just looking at his stats I’d suggest watching him in Eredivise and see how often he puts perfect crosses into very dangerous areas.

I’ve said before I’d expect his output to drop if he moves but he has all the skills needed to be a deadly goalscoring and creating wide forward or has the potential to convert into a false 9 striker too.

He’s a lot better a player than many here give credit too because you have to watch him over a prolonged period to seriously assess him.

Smores

Go back even to his previous seasons you can see a clear progression in him game play he’s more direct and more forceful in his creativity.

The reason he’s outperformed his xG is because believe it or not he’s an outstanding striker of the ball. He’s a very good finisher with a wide variety of finishes he’s not a hit it and hope player.

He is very creative but not only from corners and free kicks which you note are excellent rather than just looking at his stats I’d suggest watching him in Eredivise and see how often he puts perfect crosses into very dangerous areas.

I’ve said before I’d expect his output to drop if he moves but he has all the skills needed to be a deadly goalscoring and creating wide forward or has the potential to convert into a false 9 striker too.

He’s a lot better a player than many here give credit too because you have to watch him over a prolonged period to seriously assess him.
The thing is his crossing or creativity means nothing with us right now because we have no one getting on the end of such moves.

Our focus has to be a striker who has presence in the box. If we can afford two forwards great but I do worry about signing the wrong profile.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

I agree that he is a good finisher. But currently he had 7 goals from open play on an npxg of 3,8. 84 % higher than expectation.

The past six season Messi had 124 goals from open play in the league. On an npxg 95,6. That is equal to 30 percent higher than expectation. Lewandowskis ratio is 147 to 141,2. An overperformance of 4 %.

In other words, Gakpo’s numbers, over the past 11 games are likely to regress, when he play more games. Alot.

Consequently, it is interesting to note that his npxg this season is 0,40 (down from 0,42). Malen had an npxg of 0,64, 0,58 and 0,63 at PSV. Bergwijn, prior to his move to Spurs, had an npxg of 0,43 in his last full season for PSV.

What sets Gakpo apart is the creative part of his game. His assists numbers is great (and it is also reflected in his xa). Mostly a reflection of him being a great crosser as you say. But it is worth noting than much of it comes from corners and free kicks. A part of the game he is unlikely to be able to take with him (will he be prefered to Eriksen on corners and free kicks?). If you look at shots and goals created from open play, Bergwijn at PSV actually did better at PSV than Gakpo.

I like Gakpo and I think he will have a more successfull carrier than both Malen and Bergwijn. But I also think he will have to be much better than both to make sense for Man Utd. I’m really not sure that is the case.

DWelbz19

He's got flop written all over him - I know that sounds weird with his goal and assist record but there's something about him which makes me not convinced. I feel like he's good in transition but think he will struggle against teams that play a low block. Not saying I would go for him, but Xavi Simons looks more suitable.
I think Xavi Simons looks very good, probably has more potential, but I think he needs to settle into one set position at some point

Shai-Hulud

Should have bought him during summer. He was ready to come here.

Might never be world class but at the price point it would have been a lot better than having to play CR.

Telsim

Preach, brother. I wasn't very sold on him initially, but I spent some time watching him when I could and I think he is brilliant, potentially world class. Not getting him in the summer was a mistake, but not getting him in January, especially if it's true he might go for very cheap, is a sackable offense, in my opinion. For Murtough, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.