Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stadjer

As I said before, this guy is not good enough. He never shows it in bigger matches.
I dont think he is good enough either but you cant expect much from him against a much better team when PSV is not even attacking. Not even Haaland and Mbappe wouldnt be able to impress in a match like this

Idxomer

He seems so lax running with or without the ball, I don't see it with him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’m sure there will be some completely measured criticism of how he didn’t bag a hattrick and solve world hunger against Arsenal.

PSV aren’t a top European side Gakpo is a top European player but you’re only as good as your supply.

WirralRed

Yeah would be like watching last nights game and saying you don’t want Son or Kane. Attackers need their team to get the ball to them.

RopersReturn

It’s hard to see Gakpo’s real qualities in a fairly pedestrian side like PSV, however I trust ETH’s appraisals and think he could get the best out of him.

Chief123

It’s hard to see Gakpo’s real qualities in a fairly pedestrian side like PSV, however I trust ETH’s appraisals and think he could get the best out of him.
If ETH wants him, I want him.

Right now, if ETH requested that we re-sign Welbeck and Cleverley, I’d fully back him!

footballbite

I've not seen it with him yet, he seems cumbersome. He seems another of the kind of players who slows the game down rather than speeds it up, plus can only seem to run well in a straight line with space, rather than jink through or passed defenders.

I don't think it's only to do with PSV generally struggling in games such as tonight as at least Simons and Madueke looked somewhat lively, sharp and dangerous.

Is he even a CF anyway? He plays like a worse Rashford. I don't see what he'd bring to Utd.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That's x2 vs Leicester, x2 vs Rangers, and x1 vs Arsenal I've watched this lad, and he's been well marshalled in each of those games.

That's a variety of level of opponents there so it's not like it's all elite teams. He'll probably bash a hat trick at home to Arsenal next game now I've called him out.

Kostov

I tried watching this game, and my newborn threw in a tantrum, I guess he dislikes Arsenal as much as I do. From what I saw PSV were dire, that Veerman guy looked like someone who would win a chance to play with pros. Gakpo felt very isolated and that Xavi Simons kid tried to beat Tierney every time he had the ball and failed. Overall PSV looked like a Championship side.

Classical Mechanic

I expected a lot more from PSV after seeing some of their results this season. They were played off the park by a rotated Arsenal side. Neither Gakpo or Simons even looked on the level of Eddie Nketiah. It could've just been an off day for them in fairness. I think Simons at least appeared to have a good technical level.

poleglass red

I expected a lot more from PSV after seeing some of their results this season. They were played off the park by a rotated Arsenal side. Neither Gakpo or Simons even looked on the level of Eddie Nketiah. It could've just been an off day for them in fairness. I think Simons at least appeared to have a good technical level.
Rangers put them out of qualifying for the champions league.

Strelok

If ETH wants him, I want him.

Right now, if ETH requested that we re-sign Welbeck and Cleverley, I’d fully back him!
Just watched his highlights and tbh he looks like a poorer version of Rashford but agree on this :lol:

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
I'm afraid he will be Memphis v2 if he comes here.
He's not even close to being as good as Memphis was. He is a big game choker and will flop in the PL (at least for now, should go to a smaller club before he goes to UTD). I really cant see why ETH would want him.

Chief123

Just watched his highlights and tbh he looks like a poorer version of Rashford but agree on this :lol:
From what I’ve seen of him I actually thought he looked a better version of Rashford. He seems more clinical with his shooting and is more consistent with his passing/crossing. I can actually see attributes he has that would make him into a decent centre forward.

Strelok

From what I’ve seen of him I actually thought he looked a better version of Rashford. He seems more clinical with his shooting and is more consistent with his passing/crossing. I can actually see attributes he has that would make him into a decent centre forward.
Imo the problem with what you watched is him playing in the Eredivise. With all due respect they have really shitty keepers and defenders there. Memphis looked like God on steroid in his highlights back then.

BuzzKillington

I’m sure there will be some completely measured criticism of how he didn’t bag a hattrick and solve world hunger against Arsenal.

PSV aren’t a top European side Gakpo is a top European player but you’re only as good as your supply.
Players who are truly “Top” stand out from the mediocrity and elevate the players around them. Gakpo a flat track bully more akin to Ricky van Wolfswinkel than some unearthed gem. He’s at his level in the Dutch league.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Players who are truly “Top” stand out from the mediocrity and elevate the players around them. Gakpo a flat track bully more akin to Ricky van Wolfswinkel than some unearthed gem. He’s at his level in the Dutch league.
Totally agree!

Chief123

Imo the problem with what you watched is him playing in the Eredivise. With all due respect they have really shitty keepers and defenders there. Memphis looked like God on steroid in his highlights back then.
But likewise I see Rashford not look great against teams in europa league who are levels lower than the teams in Eredivise. Also Rashford plays in a team which is significantly better than PSV so naturally gets more supply and opportunities. The chances Rashford had against Newcastle and spurs, I would fancy Gakpo to finish a couple of them at least. It’s all ifs and buts.

If ETH insists on us signing him, then I fully trust his judgment much more than my own or any other fans.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Just had a thought regarding Gakpo, Rudd and Ronaldo. Just how satisfying would it be for RVN, to be the person to hand us Ronaldo's replacement, giving the acrimonious circumstances in which he left, was largely related to Ronaldo's rise. He would literally serve Gakpo up on a plate :).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I know but they're having a good season otherwise. Banging in the goals, 1 point behind Ajax and they beat FC Zuerich 5-1 and 5-0 in this group. I thought they'd at least give a rotated Arsenal side a good game.
Apparently Zurich is being completely crap this season, also in the Swiss league.

NoPace

That's x2 vs Leicester, x2 vs Rangers, and x1 vs Arsenal I've watched this lad, and he's been well marshalled in each of those games.

That's a variety of level of opponents there so it's not like it's all elite teams. He'll probably bash a hat trick at home to Arsenal next game now I've called him out.
We have decent options at LW and Garnacho coming up, so basically the case for buying him would be that as he fills out in his mid 20s he could be a quality 9, but that seems like a lot of risk for a player who hasn't looked great there and seems more the type to hit a nice cross than out battle Prem defenders to get on the end of one.

My guess is he ends up at Milan after they get 100M for Rafael Leao and are happy to throw PSV 40M on his replacement. Or PSG with Mbappe going this summer to Madrid finally, and they buy a LW and a 9 to replace him.

Rauður Djöfull

Great stats
Hard to say if he can bring that with him (obviously not same amount) but if ETH wants him I hope the board goes out and get him

Need to back ETH all the way, early days but doing well and every buy has been good so far

OpenIntrovert

Just had a thought regarding Gakpo, Rudd and Ronaldo. Just how satisfying would it be for RVN, to be the person to hand us Ronaldo's replacement, giving the acrimonious circumstances in which he left, was largely related to Ronaldo's rise. He would literally serve Gakpo up on a plate :).
You might want to read Ruud's interview with Rio Ferdinand to understand what he said about Ronaldo. He does not bear any ill will against Ronaldo, he just felt that Ronaldo and Rooney had potential but not enough to push the club into a dominant force.

Hal9000

He's not even close to being as good as Memphis was. He is a big game choker and will flop in the PL (at least for now, should go to a smaller club before he goes to UTD). I really cant see why ETH would want him.
Well that's what I meant, Memphis time here was a big let down and waste. He really didn't do anything for us. Gapko will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.