Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilRoshi

Never been that impressed anytime I have seen him , just does not look premiership level.

You have to trust and back ETH if he really wants him but I would be skeptical enough he can offer us anything we don't already have.
Judging by what both Whitwell & Ornstein have tweeted - we have cooled our interest. Seems like he was a smokescreen for Antony.

Gfooty

People staying Gakpo is a bigger talent than Antony should definitely, permanently stop talking after this game. This guy is utterly invisible every big game (bar one game vs Ajax) and is worth no where near 50 million euros.

rbnZz

I've said it before but Feyenoord had a bigger talent: Sinisterra. Went this summer to Leeds and scored his first goal today.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That's four full games I've seen of him now, and four of PSV's most important matches of the season. He's been quiet in three of those and absolute "Rashford on his worst day" levels of shit in one of them.

I'm sure he can knock them in for fun against Fortuna Sittard, but you'd have hoped by now he'd have some evidence of being able to do something against better opposition as well, as Martinez and Antony have.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Judging by what both Whitwell & Ornstein have tweeted - we have cooled our interest. Seems like he was a smokescreen for Antony.
That was clear to me from the beginning. It was never going to work anyway.

Gakpo has yet again been a disappointment internationally. Twice shambolic against Monaco, ok last week against Rangers and now again very underwhelming against Rangers. I also don't remember him being impressive in EL last year. I was wondering whether he could handle himself internationally now, but he clearly can't. Rashford and Martial are far better players. Going to PL would just ruin his carreer at this point. He is clearly not ready.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
On the other hand, if you buy him now the expectations will be non existent. He'd probably still be cack, but at least it won't be a surprise.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think I've ever seen him play so have no opinion on him. But for people judging the kid now in a one-off game when he's probably thinking day and night about the opportunity of joining United, is well harsh.

the_cliff

We've cooled our interest in Gakpo for good reason.
We'll see, I don't buy it.

ETH said we need numbers in offense after the Liverpool game, can see us getting both Antony and Gakpo. If not Gakpo another forward. Maybe Memphis ? idk.

yamo123x

If Ronaldo goes as expected, we will need another forward, i can't see enough in the 4 games I've watched this lad....rather spend the money on Pedro Neto

Gfooty

On the other hand, if you buy him now the expectations will be non existent. He'd probably still be cack, but at least it won't be a surprise.
Pay 50 million for the 2022 version of Andy Carroll....

the_cliff

If Ronaldo goes as expected, we will need another forward, i can't see enough in the 4 games I've watched this lad....rather spend the money on Pedro Neto
I don't think we'll have more than 30 mill to spend. If we bring in another attacker it will be a Gakpo or a Memphis.

People need to be realistic. You think we'll sign Antony for near 100 mill ? and then splash 50-80 on Neto ?

eselfor

I was really shocked by his performance today. Simply not up to PL level. While Antony is also a huge risk with the amount of money being mentioned, he can take players on at least . Cody on the other hand....Just gash.

Okey

What's throaty about the H? If you say hell or heaven or hue or hound there's nothing throaty about it is there? The G is definitely throaty yeah, at least it is in Dutch. Different languages different pronunciations I guess. Gakpo is with a throaty G and a hard k so gak-po and not hack-po.

This is almost impossible to resolve through text :lol:
Hahaha! I'm laughing too mate. It does sound silly over text. Anyway, the name Gakpo is Togolese, so is pronounced as written. Much simpler. More importantly, PSV shouldn't rinse us if we're after him. Not quite the shop window performance tonight. Hopefully ETH makes the right call...again.

Trex

ETH said we need numbers in offense after the Liverpool game, can see us getting both Antony and Gakpo. If not Gakpo another forward. Maybe Memphis ? idk.
Unless if Ronaldo goes I don't see another attacker aside Antony coming in.
And if Ronaldo goes I hope his replacement is a genuine 9.

Betson

Hopefully that is the case as I don't see what Gakpo offers that will improve us in anyway. He does not look ready yet for a step up to the premiership.

RedDevilRoshi

That was clear to me from the beginning. It was never going to work anyway.

Gakpo has yet again been a disappointment internationally. Twice shambolic against Monaco, ok last week against Rangers and now again very underwhelming against Rangers. I also don't remember him being impressive in EL last year. I was wondering whether he could handle himself internationally now, but he clearly can't. Rashford and Martial are far better players. Going to PL would just ruin his carreer at this point. He is clearly not ready.
I’ve not watched him much but in the games that I have seen him play, I just don’t think he looks ready for a move, particularly a huge one like this.

Out of him & Garnacho, I’d rather give Garnacho an opportunity as he looks an absolute special talent.

Phil Osophy

I got the same impression again, he's so risk averse and passive overall. I don't like players who waste a lot and take risks at any chance, but this guy is in the opposite extreme. It has to be amazingly clear for him to take a risk or attack the defence off the ball.

It's been noticeable in the second half with 0-1, it had to be that Simons kid trying to shake up the game, asking for the ball and trying stuff. Someone linked with United, and captain, has to make his presence more visible in the game and be more influential.

Denis Irwinning

fecking harsh ye lot. Nothing special but there was some potential there. Lads looking for the finished article for 34m. He kept trying and got in position for 2 good chances. He should have got them, he's raw but I like him. Not sure he's a need considering the other areas in the squad but he'll be a good player

Mr PG

ETH said it’s not about just buying players but buying the right players
We have enough wingers including Garnacho. We need a traditional 9.

Rolaholic

Memphis would reportedly cost 40m less and he loves the club.

I'd sign him as a stop gap until we can properly invest in a Ronaldo replacement

Scholsey2004

Yeah me neither, feel we need a different sort of striker option in that attack. Someone who can hold it up, score and also be good in the air as well
Yeah, i could certainly see the logic behind buying a centre forward. Another right footed wide player who miggt one day be a striker, not so much. Hopefully Ten Hag can coach Martial and/or Rashford into performing up front this season so thats no longer needed.

Dannn411

Okay at pass and move, has the odd good shot in a blue moon, poor at everything else. 10 million pounds offer take it or leave it. When they refuse, walk away.

George The Best

Shouldn’t waste our money. Still a bit uncertain about Antony at the price but much prefer him. We also need an RB and GK. Think another CM will have to wait a year.

the_cliff

ETH said it’s not about just buying players but buying the right players

We have enough wingers including Garnacho. We need a traditional 9.
Of course. The right players for his system. The fact we are linked with Gakpo shows that he believes he's good enough to suit his system.

gaffs

Thought PSV were poor tonight. Gakpo didn't shine.

But it would be harsh to think he's crap based on one performance. He was the best player on the pitch in the first leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.