Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Thought PSV were poor tonight. Gakpo didn't shine.

But it would be harsh to think he's crap based on one performance. He was the best player on the pitch in the first leg.
???

He was also average the first match and simply terrible in the two matches against Monaco. There were already doubts on whether he has the quality to make a step from the Dutch league. He's had 4 matches recently to prove himself in European level (against decent opponents, not even the best) and he's failed miserably.

croadyman

We'll see, I don't buy it.

ETH said we need numbers in offense after the Liverpool game, can see us getting both Antony and Gakpo. If not Gakpo another forward. Maybe Memphis ? idk.
Yeah those words suggested he wants two attackers, however who that is I haven't a clue and links look non existent outside of Gakpo

croadyman

I’ve not watched him much but in the games that I have seen him play, I just don’t think he looks ready for a move, particularly a huge one like this.

Out of him & Garnacho, I’d rather give Garnacho an opportunity as he looks an absolute special talent.
Yeah why hasn't Alejandro been given a chance

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Amad, Garnacho, Pallestri? Not in ETHs plans?

I mean if its true that we are trying to buy both Gakpo and Antony, then we will have them + Rashford, Martial, Sancho that can all play LW/RW. Wouldn't it make more sense to just go for Antony as a RW and try to find a CF? I mean if Martial picks up a injury we will have a soon 38 years Ronaldo that doesn't suit the system and seems to be bothered as the only options for the CF position (yes i know that Rashford can play there as well but we need real CFs if we wanna compete).

Last edited:

vulmik

Amad and Pellistri won't be, no. They're not going to cut it.
Amad is worth persisting with. He's a world class talent and has many of the tools needed to make it. I have a feeling if not here, he'll go on to have a successful career elsewhere.

Enigma_87

You know who
Amad is worth persisting with. He's a world class talent and has many of the tools needed to make it. I have a feeling if not here, he'll go on to have a successful career elsewhere.
How did you come to this conclusion? Everytime I've seen him he has been very uninspiring and to be frank at that price tag he has been a complete flop even if he's young. There are other talented players around his age even at our club that are currently more promising/better than him.

FriedClams

World class at under 19 level. Struggling massively with adult football.

Ted Lasso

I can see how he's a Ronaldo replacement. He walked around for most of the two legs against Rangers, rarely if ever pressed. Got good technique and didn't give the ball away much though.

Wing Attack Plan R

He isn’t world class, I wish he were. Youth level to the big boys is a hurdle most can’t make it over. Shoretire and Isak Hansen-Aaroen look like gods at youth level, even Garner was a boss. Amad looks destined for a mid table French club.

Chief123

fecking harsh ye lot. Nothing special but there was some potential there. Lads looking for the finished article for 34m. He kept trying and got in position for 2 good chances. He should have got them, he's raw but I like him. Not sure he's a need considering the other areas in the squad but he'll be a good player
Tbh, I was looking for Prime Ginola. All I got was Prime Video on a free trial.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
He's talented surely, there is no doubt... But he is far far far from being a finished product and is still from delivering in one of the big games... At one point he's gotta show he is able to carry PSV when it matters.. Depay for example was miles miles better when he left PSV, no doubt..

There is a lot of uncertainty around this guy.. He might make it in the long run for a big club, but he hasnt showed anything special outside of the eredivisie so far.. And its not like he is 18 or something, the guy is 23..

kunal18

The scouts in this thread are amazing.

One half of football, where Rangers have been the better team.

PSV ain't pressing from the front, so dont expect him to be running round like Carols Tevez!
He was even worse in the previous reverse fixture with and without the ball.
We've already spent loads on average talents like Pellistri, Amad, DVB, AWB etc .
If we are anyways going to spend loads it would be better to do it on players who are going to be ready for the first team.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
when are the club going to admit we need a centre forward? Surely that's more important than getting Gakpo and Antony - if we get just the one, I'd opt for Antony just because it feels as if ETH wanted him first/more

Red00012

World class talent :lol:

Idxomer

His passing in general play from what I've seen is quite average.

I think he has the potential to be a good striker for a mid/lower table club in the PL but for United, he isn't really worth it. It would be better to wait until next summer to find a first-choice striker who can contribute right away.

Bondi77

So all the "respected journos" said terms are agreed and now we are going to make a bid!
Let us see how "respected" they are??

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tadic won it the year before
How much is he worth?
If he was POTY at the age of 22 he'd cost a lot too. That doesn't mean we should sign him of course, just that PSV aren't wrong to expect a decent fee.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Wait, so you're telling me I wasted 20mins of my evening last night scouting this lad and we're not even buying him?!!

FUMING :mad:

DRDR

Get Memphis instead. Has a few extra years under his belt, has become stronger and technically better. And is free. Is exactly the type required, someone who can defend aggressively up front. Memphis Martial Anthony is not that bad.

Nicklas

If it’s between Gakpo for £40m or Memphis for “free” it should be Memphis all day, right? But I guess Memphis is more interested to join a club where he’ll be first choice. Is he a CF or LW these days?

Bondi77

Blind won it at a similar age and he did not cost a fortune.
The point I am making is by winning the award hardly puts loads of extra money on a player.
If that was the case why the feck is Antony so expensive if he was behind Gakpo in the voting?

Gerald G

There's no way he's ready for a move to a top club in my opinion. He's decent but that's it. If we signed him I'd love to be proven wrong but I just don't see it

BarstoolProphet

Has looked like a budget Rashford with a little bit better workrate during these European matches. Not exactly what we need. He could of course make the step up, but fearing an expensive deadwood here if he signs.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I’m also a PSV fan, and look at it exactly the way you do (by the way, the allmighty beard is also my hero and the reason i have been following United for many many years).

For Ajax players you pay double the price. As soon as any interrest in Ajax players occurs The Telegraaf reporter Mike Verweij (The telegraaf is an Amsterdam based newspaper, closely related to Ajax) mentions extreme high asking prices.

The entire Dutch football community then thinks the price must be a joke, but each end every time Ajax receives the jackpot (and i must give them credits for that; they know how to negotiate)

As in regard to Cody; he is PSV’s starplayer and rolemodel (modest, hard working, respectful). Do I think he will make a direct impact at United? Not yet. Do i think he has the potential to be world-class? Yes. Even more then Antony (who is also a good player, but as a person a little piece of diving shit)

It has not been mentioned that PSV offered Gakpo a contract renewal untill 2027. If he signs that (that could be possible if PSV beat Rangers), United can try again next year for double the money…..,
I would attentively listen to our European comrades. I was all for Antony but these posts made me change my mind.
when we bought Darmian for £13 M, I was in Tuscany and asked locals what were their thoughts on this transfer. Everyone told me it’s way too expensive for bang average Serie A relegation level player.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Just no matter how good he is - it just gives me a stomach ache to still buy a Lw over a left footed RW.

Sometimes the time just doesn’t blend cohesively with players and moving to a club.

GazTheLegend

I would attentively listen to our European comrades. I was all for Antony but these posts made me change my mind.
when we bought Darmian for £13 M, I was in Tuscany and asked locals what were their thoughts on this transfer. Everyone told me it’s way too expensive for bang average Serie A relegation level player.
At the same time - I remember Sporting fans telling me that they weren't bothered about selling Cristiano Ronaldo to us because they had a much better prospect in Ricardo Quaresme on their hands, and he was far more skillful and better than Ronaldo was.... after our friendly with Sporting where Ronaldo obliterated us it was impossible to agree.

ThinkTank@Cafe

At the same time - I remember Sporting fans telling me that they weren't bothered about selling Cristiano Ronaldo to us because they had a much better prospect in Ricardo Quaresme on their hands, and he was far more skillful and better than Ronaldo was.... after our friendly with Sporting where Ronaldo obliterated us it was impossible to agree.
Quaresma is 2 years older. He was the biggest talent in Portugal at the time. Ronaldo was just coming through Sporting youth system.

GazTheLegend

Quaresma is 2 years older. He was the biggest talent in Portugal at the time. Ronaldo was just coming through Sporting youth system.
Whatever, my point being that even fans of any particular club aren't necessarily the best gauge of their own talent and their potential, whatever their ages. Many such cases at Man Utd too, but there's also that famous one where Harry Redknapp is forced to defend picking Frank Lampard over Scott Gannon who the fan tells him he should be picking at a fan forum.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
25 million is an okay price I suppose, though I still think after the fecking pathetic showing last night, he should bow his head in shame and offer to stay another year against a reduced salary.

I hope Ruud flogged him.

Status
Not open for further replies.