Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Whatever, my point being that even fans of any particular club aren't necessarily the best gauge of their own talent and their potential, whatever their ages. Many such cases at Man Utd too, but there's also that famous one where Harry Redknapp is forced to defend picking Frank Lampard over Scott Gannon who the fan tells him he should be picking at a fan forum.
I understand your point and accept it. My Darmian survey was mostly among Juve, Genoa, and Sampdoria fans. I.e. people who watched Serie A.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Reliable Dutch journalist saying we still want him but need to structure for FFP. If we have issues due to FFP we’re signing more than just Antony and Gakpo…250m not taking account wage reductions was our FFP limit this season.

Infra-red

Reliable Dutch journalist saying we still want him but need to structure for FFP. If we have issues due to FFP we’re signing more than just Antony and Gakpo…250m not taking account wage reductions was our FFP limit this season.
Unsure how the structure of the deal will help us with FFP? The overall size of the deal will be the key, surely. Unless they mean we're looking to pay more up front, to try to persuade PSV to reduce the overall value.

SATA

So he’s not good then? How did he end up being awarded the Dutch footballer of the year or something like that i read?

ShinjiNinja26

So he’s not good then? How did he end up being awarded the Dutch footballer of the year or something like that i read?
That accolade doesn’t hold much weight when you see some of the players who’ve previously won it. Not saying he’s shite as I haven’t seen him play much but on last nights showing I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole.

DSG

That accolade doesn’t hold much weight when you see some of the players who’ve previously won it. Not saying he’s shite as I haven’t seen him play much but on last nights showing I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole.
His highlight compilation reminded me a lot of Rashford. His goals, the way he runs, his crosses. I don’t get why we’d buy him.

Erik the Red

Hopefully not at the expense of Antony
Who do you rate highest out of Gakpo, Antony and Depay? I would say:
1) Antony
2) Depay
3) Gakpo.

I want us to sign and Antony, and only sign Depay if Ronaldo leaves. Gakpo, even in his YouTube highlights, looks a bit average.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
1) Antony
2) Depay
3) Gakpo.

I want us to sign and Antony, and only sign Depay if Ronaldo leaves. Gakpo, even in his YouTube highlights, looks a bit average.
Antony looks the easy choice. Seems a really gifted footballer who had technical class, pace, an eye for a pass and work rate.

Gakpo only if he has some potential as CF but by all accounts this isn't the case.

Memphis- no way!

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Blind won it at a similar age and he did not cost a fortune.
Different era in terms of global transfer fees, defender vs attacker, Ajax' financial position & ranking were much weaker back then etc.
Why do we need Gakpo and Antony if we really need a RB, GK and ST?
This. Already got Sancho and Rashford for the LW position. An overlapping RB to get the most out of Antony and a GK that can do more than just stop balls are far more important than another squad player. Building out the squad is what you do when you're in a position of strength, not rebuilding the starting XI.

Gakpo could play as a ST eventually imo, reminds me somewhat of Henry (in playing style, not level obviously), but it would take time to make that happen and that's time that Ten Hag might not get. Much better to buy someone who can already play the position at the level required right away.
De Telegraaf = The Sun, I wouldn't take their word on anything. Especially not Valentijn Driessen.
I wouldn't take the word of Rik Elfrink either, that guy writes for a newspaper when translated into English = "Eindhoven Daily", the guy is a fan first, journalist second. Whenever PSV wants some news leaked they have him on speed dial.

------

No the main reason why I wouldn't buy Gakpo if I were United was his conduct after the match yesterday. He wore the captain's armband, but refused any post-match interview. Unworthy of the armband. Can't use any more players that shy away from difficult times when United is already in such a challenging situation. The money can be used to strengthen position far more urgently in need of strengthening.

Physically a man (if injury prone), emotionally still a child.

Last edited:

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Gakpo is worse than Bergwijn and Depay. Also worse than when they left PSV. No clue honestly why Ten Hag wants him. Rashford is similar to him, but better.

NoPace

He seems like one of those guys with good size and technique but a lack of intense desire. I'd rather wait another year and see if he can become a 20 goal scorer and really separate himself from the 20-25M players like Bergwijn and Sinisterra.

Also it's just hard to see the opposite winger Saibari working like a dog on the other side with far less talent and impacting games similarly through sheer desire and effort, even with half the natural talent.

Honestly, Teze looked more exciting to me. Probably more of an RCB in a 3 man defence, but good athlete and long passer who played as well as Timber in the Nations League, and you'd figure could be signed for 25M.

gaffs

He seems like one of those guys with good size and technique but a lack of intense desire. I'd rather wait another year and see if he can become a 20 goal scorer and really separate himself from the 20-25M players like Bergwijn and Sinisterra.

Also it's just hard to see the opposite winger Saibari working like a dog on the other side with far less talent and impacting games similarly through sheer desire and effort, even with half the natural talent.

Honestly, Teze looked more exciting to me. Probably more of an RCB in a 3 man defence, but good athlete and long passer who played as well as Timber in the Nations League, and you'd figure could be signed for 25M.
18 goals last year in all comps.

For the price we are looking to pay for Anthony, it feels like Gakpo at a 1/3 of the price may be a much better deal.

Captain_Crap

Supports
Ajax, ETH and FDJ
1) Antony
2) Depay
3) Gakpo.

100% sure on your order. We could have a little discussion on Depay vs. Anthony. The first clearly not world-class, but approaching a respectable subtop class. The latter might become world-class, but hasn’t proven himself like Depay did on his level of play.

WirralRed

Is everyone judging him purely from these few qualifying matches? I’ve not saw much of him but heard about him being a big talker for a while, quite shocked so many don’t rate him so much. I do agree it may hamper Garnacho getting game time though, I really like the look of him.

NoPace

18 goals last year in all comps.

For the price we are looking to pay for Anthony, it feels like Gakpo at a 1/3 of the price may be a much better deal.
I dunno, Antony is a year younger, much quicker and someone who can produce from RW while hugging the touchline is very tough to find. Also seems like half price. Would Gapko be getting into the Brazil team ahead of Rodrygo or Martinelli like Antony is?

Status
Not open for further replies.