Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Would like to see us back in for him, but I did read an interview with him a couple weeks back where he didn't seem particularly happy with how the whole potential United transfer went down. And I don't blame him, he was strung along as a back up, unsettled, then left hung out to dry.
Did he specifically blame United for that though? Just this week, PSV fired their Technical Director John de Jong, and the mess around the Gakpo transfer apparently played a role in that:

https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-unit...plans-to-sell-arsenal-leeds-target-cody-gakpo

From the contradictory quotes, I can't quite figure out if De Jong wanted to sell him against the wishes of other people at the club or the other way round - but anyway, it made me wonder if your comment about Gakpo is about his unhappiness with United or PSV.

Ted Lasso

And when goals or assists really counted to help PSV qualify for the CL he was nowhere to be found. But yes, he did score goals against Emmen and Excelsior.
Hold up. He was there to be found. Camped out on the left side of the pitch closer to the center circle than the goal. I thought it was shocking to have your supposed best player so useless when tryin to keep CL hopes alive.

Was it Ruud? Was it him? Just an anomaly?

Rolaholic

Honestly been good to see that he put his head down and has been back to his best after the window. Looked like his head was turned near the end of the window when the transfer talk was at its loudest.

Might still be a good option for us either in the winter or next summer

cyberman

As per tradition, he is shit when we are linked with him and gets praised to the moon when we don’t sign him.

colombianmancunian

As per tradition, he is shit when we are linked with him and gets praised to the moon when we don’t sign him.
Typical anti United media. I just hope we get him in winter, we can’t miss on him as we missed on Halaand during the dreadful Ole years.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
And when goals or assists really counted to help PSV qualify for the CL he was nowhere to be found. But yes, he did score goals against Emmen and Excelsior.
His record in big games is pretty good.

Rolaholic

I just found out that Gakpo scored his 8 goals and 6 assists in only 500 min. Involved in a goal every 36 min……..
Yup

He has also averaged a goal contribution in a little over an hour in all comps so far this season

Very impressive start to the season, Ten Hag has really proven to have a keen eye for talent. Even Arnautovic has been doing bits in Serie A :lol:

Rolaholic

Romano said this yesterday

Erik the Red

Why? He talked him out of joining Leeds, not us.

We will pay premium again, but he looks like a real talent, and hopefully he can evolved from winger to striker as did RVP or Henry.
By the sound of things, it appears he has agreed a transfer fee with PSV that they would accept. Leeds offered €30m plus €13m in add-ons that PSV said were not attainable. I infer from that comment that had the add-ons been attainable, the offer would have been accepted.

Glorio

Here's to hoping we get someone - this guy, Toney, whoever. Right now our lack of decent striking options is akin to the Portuguese national team over the past decade and a half or so.

Bwuk

I wouldn't be surprised if we go back in for him in January.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Absolutely not what we need, he's an in form Rashford to be quite honest, little strength, arial ability, hold up play but he has a good cross on him - No chance he is a #9 in the PL

NotThatSoph

Romano said this yesterday
These things I'll never understand. If a club directly refuses to deal with an agent, e.g. like rumoured with Riola, then ok, but why would a good relationship matter?

Is Ten Hag or whoever else who decides more likely to identify Gakpo as good enough because of a shared agent? Does it make them willing to pay more, or PSV willing to accept less? Does it make United willing to offer higher wages, or Gakpo willing to play for less than he otherwise would? Will he accept a lesser role in the team, or will Ten Hag play him more than warranted?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
These things I'll never understand. If a club directly refuses to deal with an agent, e.g. like rumoured with Riola, then ok, but why would a good relationship matter?

Is Ten Hag or whoever else who decides more likely to identify Gakpo as good enough because of a shared agent? Does it make them willing to pay more, or PSV willing to accept less? Does it make United willing to offer higher wages, or Gakpo willing to play for less than he otherwise would? Will he accept a lesser role in the team, or will Ten Hag play him more than warranted?
Easier to tap up and convince the players to come over.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He was sublime against Porto or Benfica in the CL qualification last season. He was by far PSV's best player, both in the European campaign and against the likes of Feyenoord and Ajax. He literally scored in their cup final.

You cant just extrapolate a narrative because you watched 2-3 poor games by him when he was linked with us.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fecking LvG
Why? He talked him out of joining Leeds, not us.

We will pay premium again, but he looks like a real talent, and hopefully he can evolved from winger to striker as did RVP or Henry.
By the sound of things, it appears he has agreed a transfer fee with PSV that they would accept. Leeds offered €30m plus €13m in add-ons that PSV said were not attainable. I infer from that comment that had the add-ons been attainable, the offer would have been accepted.
Given the news from PSV this week, it also looks like their directors, and most of all Technical Director John de Jong, stood in the way of the transfer: they wanted to keep Gakpo to prevent losing too much quality.

lysglimt

Scout
You should see Ziyech's numbers 8)
He had one outstanding season (2018/19) - but the other 3 seasons he was at Ajax he scored a total of 28 goals - hardly breathtaking. And in addition - Ziyech was 27 when he joined Chelsea, Gakpo turned 23 in may.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Cody’s on fire: 13 mins in the Dutch team against Poland (he plays as an attacking midfielder), first one in the net. Brilliant attack by the way

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will probably be worth twice what we could have got him for in the summer now.
Yeah but he just wasn't what we needed. He's a left inside forward basically. Even if he develops well... We have Rashford and Sancho who play there. We needed the left footed RW in.

Pat Cat

Yeah but he just wasn't what we needed. He's a left inside forward basically. Even if he develops well... We have Rashford and Sancho who play there. We needed the left footed RW in.
And neither are good enough, he can also play up front. Instead we signed Antony who also isn't good enough for 85m

JB7

And neither are good enough, he can also play up front. Instead we signed Antony who also isn't good enough for 85m
The players you are saying aren't good enough literally scored our goals in the wins against the team top of the league who've won every game bar the one against us and our biggest rivals who we hadn't beat in the league for 5 years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The players you are saying aren't good enough literally scored our goals in the wins against the team top of the league who've won every game bar the one against us and our biggest rivals who we hadn't beat in the league for 5 years.
I mean, in and of itself that means feck all in determining whether they are ‘good enough’ tbh.

JB7

I mean, in and of itself that means feck all in determining whether they are ‘good enough’ tbh.
Doesn't exactly hurt for a starting point though, does it?

I'm happy enough to write off last season given how poor it was for the whole squad.

We obviously started this terribly but since then Sancho has got 3 goals in his last 5 starts, Rashford has 3 in his last 4 & Antony has scored in his only league game to date.

I hardly think it's reasonable to say none of them are good enough based on the 8 games we've played so far this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Doesn't exactly hurt for a starting point though, does it?

I'm happy enough to write off last season given how poor it was for the whole squad.

We obviously started this terribly but since then Sancho has got 3 goals in his last 5 starts, Rashford has 3 in his last 4 & Antony has scored in his only league game to date.

I hardly think it's reasonable to say none of them are good enough based on the 8 games we've played so far this season.
That’s sort of true, but I do think it would be more relevant if we were talking about random Ligue Un players that we didn’t watch often - but not the approach I’d take when talking about ours. We watch and micro-analyse every kick of these players, the fact that this player scored a goal here or a goal there is close to irrelevant in determining whether or not you think they are ‘good enough’. For players that we watch to this degree, any assessment should likely be independent of whether or not they got on the scoresheet last couple of games.

All players mentioned have shown massive question marks, and it is perfectly reasonable for any United fan to have doubts whether any are good enough.

JB7

All players mentioned have shown massive question marks, and it is perfectly reasonable for any United fan to have doubts whether any are good enough.
You've said this and pulled me up for giving a reason why they might be good enough but not pulled up the guy who categorically said none of them are good enough.

So, you don't think it's reasonable to think they may well be good enough but do think it's reasonable to doubt that any of them are. You seem entirely reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.