Cold War against China?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
China cannot possibly claim a telephone call is a binding legal agreement.
It's quite a confusing story. It's alleged that Duterte, former Philippine president, entered into some secret deal with China. Current president says he wasn't briefed on this, nor is he aware of any record of agreement.

RedDevilQuebecois

It's quite a confusing story. It's alleged that Duterte, former Philippine president, entered into some secret deal with China. Current president says he wasn't briefed on this, nor is he aware of any record of agreement.
Duterte has always been a pro-CCP shill. His position and whatever stuff he may have done in the past are about as valid as a flaccid penis in a brothel, especially when Filippino people have clearly expressed their anger and their defiance against China's behavior in and around the Spratly Islands for years now.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Dudirty doesn’t get to set the borders without votes from Congress. And certainly not in a phone call. Plus an international body already ruled that the Philippines owns those islands.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Former spy for China's secret police reveals operations targeting dissidents in Australia and overseas

A former spy for China's secret police has revealed his identity and exposed how the regime targets people overseas who are critical of the Chinese government.

It is the first time anyone from the secret police – one of the most feared and powerful arms of China's intelligence apparatus – has ever spoken publicly.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...ations-revealed-by-spy-four-corners/103826622

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
"We gonna feck our citizens by making everything more expensive but at least our companies and their owners will be Okey for a while."
He has exaplained his actions in this tweet:
"China is determined to dominate these industries. I'm determined to ensure America leads the world in them."

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
"We gonna feck our citizens by making everything more expensive but at least our companies and their owners will be Okey for a while."
Is it really bad policy to protect national interests against a hostile superpower? China is attempting to flood the US market with cheap EV batteries, and once domestic manufacturers go out of business, there’s nothing to stop them putting the prices back up. And then at that point we’ve allowed another type of energy dependence to develop.

Yes I agree that for average consumers, like you and me, that sucks in the short term, but sometimes larger, longer geopolitical concerns have to take priority. The Chinese are superb at this type of long term thinking. And just because it’d be good for us today, doesn’t mean it’d be good for us in 5,10, 15 or 50 years time. Governments have to be the stewards not just of what happens now, but what happens down the road.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Is it really bad policy to protect national interests against a hostile superpower? China is attempting to flood the US market with cheap EV batteries, and once domestic manufacturers go out of business, there’s nothing to stop them putting the prices back up. And then at that point we’ve allowed another type of energy dependence to develop.

Yes I agree that for average consumers, like you and me, that sucks in the short term, but sometimes larger, longer geopolitical concerns have to take priority. The Chinese are superb at this type of long term thinking. And just because it’d be good for us today, doesn’t mean it’d be good for us in 5,10, 15 or 50 years time. Governments have to be the stewards not just of what happens now, but what happens down the road.
Like climate change, against which "flooding the market with cheap batteries and solar panels" seems to be one of the few viable strategies.

nickm

Or you could argue the US is upgrading its power generation to 21st standards, giving it a long term economic advantage, while China picks up the bill.