Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Well deserved.

Amazing he was just knocking around in City's reserves pretty much and they let him go for what now looks quite cheap. Also we can say he only signed due to the injury to Nkunku as we could guarantee playing time pretty much, so some sliver lining to that. More so if they can somehow both stay fit and play in the same side.

Taribo's Gap

Well deserved.

Amazing he was just knocking around in City's reserves pretty much and they let him go for what now looks quite cheap. Also we can say he only signed due to the injury to Nkunku as we could guarantee playing time pretty much, so some sliver lining to that. More so if they can somehow both stay fit and play in the same side.
Even with his limited playing time, you could tell the Cole was pretty good at City. Clubs might be disappointed if they start thinking this is replicable and pay an even higher premium for City's young talent.

What are your realistic expectations for Lavia, another quasi-City product, next season?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Well deserved.

My memory may be fuzzy but wasn’t he signed as sort of a last minute alternative to Olise rather than because of Nkunku’s injury?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
My memory may be fuzzy but wasn’t he signed as sort of a last minute alternative to Olise rather than because of Nkunku’s injury?
He came in on deadline day and my understanding is the main reason was we offered him first team football and City couldn't. But in a world where we had Nkunku fit, pretty certain we wouldn't have been able to (honestly) do that. Olise was an option as well, but the injury and he got a new contract. Both look really good players.

lex talionis

A superb young footballer who should be on track to graduate from Chelsea to United, but thanks to the hapless Glazers we'll never bring in a top English talent at this age to Old Trafford any time soon.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, pretty sure it was the Olise deal collapsing, and not Nkunku's injury, that made them go after Palmer. But it's possible that Nkunku's injury made them want to dip into the market for another attacker, so they went after Olise first, then settled on Palmer.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Even with his limited playing time, you could tell the Cole was pretty good at City. Clubs might be disappointed if they start thinking this is replicable and pay an even higher premium for City's young talent.

What are your realistic expectations for Lavia, another quasi-City product, next season?
Stay fit for more than 10 games? Ditto a few players in our squad tbh.

With a fully available squad, Poch got some headaches. Though Palmer surely the first name on the teamsheet. We had 14 players out a few weeks ago ffs.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A superb young footballer who should be on track to graduate from Chelsea to United, but thanks to the hapless Glazers we'll never bring in a top English talent at this age to Old Trafford any time soon.
You did. It didn't work out in the end but Sancho was exactly what you describe here when you signed him.

TheLord

Have to go back to the early Mourinho days to think of a young left-footed winger/attacking player as exciting as him - a young Arjen Robben.

Chelsea haven't had much luck with left footed wingers/strikers in the last 25 years, have they? Of course, Mo Salah doesn't count and Juan Mata barely scored! Even Robben's stay was riddled with injuries and didn’t do much at Chelsea.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not a fan of giving YPOTY awards to well-established players that technically fit the criteria (like Haaland, Saka or, to a slightly lesser extent, Foden — who has been around for a while even though this was a breakthrough season for him in many aspects). So he was the one and only viable option for me, well deserved! Outstanding season.

Supports
Chelsea
This award is different from the PFA ones right?

Hoof the ball

Suppose this opens it up for POY for Foden, then.

Which brings me to my larger question; Should awards be determined by criteria that isn't specifically centered around goal contribution, because for me, it seems implausible that (once again) Rodri isn't going to win POY, or even be in the running for Ballon D'or.

There's a strange aversion in world football, amongst fandom and amongst vote makers, to look at the dominance of a midfielder or a defender and see that as equal or greater than goal-scorers and creative attacking players. It seems for me that not only must Rodri be the best player in the world, but he must (as a defensive midfielder) also score and assist at the rate of forwards too, to even stand a chance of winning. This is surely an unacceptable thing.

Posh Red

Have to go back to the early Mourinho days to think of a young left-footed winger/attacking player as exciting as him - a young Arjen Robben.

Chelsea haven't had much luck with left footed wingers/strikers in the last 25 years, have they? Of course, Mo Salah doesn't count and Juan Mata barely scored! Even Robben's stay was riddled with injuries and didn’t do much at Chelsea.
Didn’t Mata get twenty goals and twenty assists one year? Might be misremembering that one.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Cole Penmer
I was surprised he was the penalty taker today with the options out there and he has the least English caps. He still has to make them, the pressure on a young player in his first cap would make most shrink in that situation. He blasted it even with the keeper guessing correct on where it was going.