College Football 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Tennessee getting a bit of a lesson so far. That punt was huge though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Could this Hooker kid lose the Heisman due to this game? Who is the perceived second place guy right now?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Bit disappointed with that. Didn't really expect to win, but the Vols were never really in it after the 1st quarter.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I've never heard of the rule that a play is dead if an out of bounds player touches the ball...
I think it’s that:
A player who voluntarily goes out of bounds (ie, was not pushed) can not be the first player to touch a loose ball (fumble, pass, etc.). You’ll see umps throw their hat down to mark where/when a player goes out of bounds.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Fingers crossed, if LSU pulls this off we’re only 2 more UAT loses away from them being eliminated from playoff contention!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Fingers crossed, if LSU pulls this off we’re only 2 more UAT loses away from them being eliminated from playoff contention!
I truly admire your dedication & attention to detail to consistently label Alabama UAT.

Carolina Red

Staff
I feel your pain. Not a good day.
I’m being serious. I’ve been a fan of Clemson and Notre Dame my whole life. Never really thought they’d end up (almost) in the same conference.

But yeah, today was not good for Vols nation. Good thing for y’all is that Clemson and Alabama lost too.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
ESPN: with loss, UAT’s playoff chances take a slight hit but likely to rise in polls because it means more in the SEC

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I truly admire your dedication & attention to detail to consistently label Alabama UAT.
UAB produces world class medical research and doctors

UAH produces world class engineers and is integrated with NASA.

UAT produces world class assholes and has a football team that is good sometimes.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I’m being serious. I’ve been a fan of Clemson and Notre Dame my whole life. Never really thought they’d end up (almost) in the same conference.

But yeah, today was not good for Vols nation. Good thing for y’all is that Clemson and Alabama lost too.
Can't say I'm been a Vol fan my whole life, but I did a post-doc at UT about 40 years ago and of course have been a fan ever since. I was at the game in1984 when UT beat number 1 Auburn with Bo Jackson and they tore the goal posts down for that as well.

Just looked up the predictions for next CFP and they've put the Vols at 5th. Since Ohio State and Michigan have got to play each other, if UT can win out they could still get in.

Carolina Red

Staff
Can't say I'm been a Vol fan my whole life, but I did a post-doc at UT about 40 years ago and of course have been a fan ever since. I was at the game in1984 when UT beat number 1 Auburn with Bo Jackson and they tore the goal posts down for that as well.

Just looked up the predictions for next CFP and they've put the Vols at 5th. Since Ohio State and Michigan have got to play each other, if UT can win out they could still get in.
You’ve got Mizzou, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt left on the schedule, so the odds are definitely in your favor… only big hurdle you’ll have then is if Clemson wins out and is ACC Champ.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
You’ve got Mizzou, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt left on the schedule, so the odds are definitely in your favor… only big hurdle you’ll have then is if Clemson wins out and is ACC Champ.
I think Ohio State/Michigan winner is in (assuming the winner goes on to win the Big 10 Championship), TCU is in (if they win out), Georgia is in whether they win or lose the SEC Championship (assuming they are at worst a 1 loss team) and then the 4th spot is the interesting one.

I think LSU is in if they win the SEC (assuming they don't have more than 2 losses). If they don't win it or have more than 2 losses a 1 loss ACC winner (Clemson, North Carolina), a 1 loss PAC-12 winner (Oregon, USC, UCLA) or a 1 loss Tennessee are the other choices. A 1 loss Tennessee probably has the best resume, but the committee could decide that a 1 loss ACC or PAC-12 winner deserves it more.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
No two-loss team should ever get invited to a four-team playoff. When it's expanded perhaps. But being the SEC they'll somehow do it.
I can understand your POV, but the SEC has had 12 of the last 16 National Championship winners, so if you win the SEC then it gives you a fairly strong case.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I could see where the committee members are coming from if they chose to go that route.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think Ohio State/Michigan winner is in (assuming the winner goes on to win the Big 10 Championship), TCU is in (if they win out), Georgia is in whether they win or lose the SEC Championship (assuming they are at worst a 1 loss team) and then the 4th spot is the interesting one.

I think LSU is in if they win the SEC (assuming they don't have more than 2 losses). If they don't win it or have more than 2 losses a 1 loss ACC winner (Clemson, North Carolina), a 1 loss PAC-12 winner (Oregon, USC, UCLA) or a 1 loss Tennessee are the other choices. A 1 loss Tennessee probably has the best resume, but the committee could decide that a 1 loss ACC or PAC-12 winner deserves it more.
I agree on the other 3 schools that would get in (assuming they win out). To me, in the pecking order for that 4th spot, it would go SEC > ACC > PAC. Even if Clemson wins the ACC, Tennessee might have their only loss to the defending national champs, and Clemson’s would be to an unranked Notre Dame.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I agree on the other 3 schools that would get in (assuming they win out). To me, in the pecking order for that 4th spot, it would go SEC > ACC > PAC. Even if Clemson wins the ACC, Tennessee might have their only loss to the defending national champs, and Clemson’s would be to an unranked Notre Dame.
It goes back to the age old argument. How important is a Conference Championship? Also if Oregon wins out they would win the PAC-12 and their only loss would be to the defending national Champs.

Tough calls all round.

Carolina Red

Staff
It goes back to the age old argument. How important is a Conference Championship? Also if Oregon wins out they would win the PAC-12 and their only loss would be to the defending national Champs.

Tough calls all round.
To the first point - that’s partly why I’ve always favored an expanded playoff, so that conference championships matter and are rewarded.

To the 2nd point… while that would be so, I think the committee is very leery now when it comes to putting the PAC in the playoff considering the conference’s more recent postseason history (0-7 in bowls last 2 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.