College Football 2023

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
No idea yet. Talk of JMU's coach along with a pretty long list of other candidates, with Manny Diaz and Jason Garrett being the worst.
If you bring in Garrett, he could possibly bring in his old buddy Derek Dooley to be one of his assistants. Dooley is without doubt the worst head coach in the history of head coaches. Even after 10 years of being gone, it still gets me worked up just thinking about his gross ineptitude.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Garrett is far more suited to coach at the NCAA level than the NFL, outside perhaps a QB coach position in the NFL. He could probably do well at the right program.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If you bring in Garrett, he could possibly bring in his old buddy Derek Dooley to be one of his assistants. Dooley is without doubt the worst head coach in the history of head coaches. Even after 10 years of being gone, it still gets me worked up just thinking about his gross ineptitude.
Garrett is far more suited to coach at the NCAA level than the NFL, outside perhaps a QB coach position in the NFL. He could probably do well at the right program.
The whole "connection" with him is that he's a Duke fan and went to Princeton so he'd fit in at an elite academic school. I don't know that it's actually anything more than that.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Dont really listen to Finebaum so I couldn't really say. As to no permutation of the playoffs without an SEC team, that is probably not true.

If Alabama beats Georgia, there is a real chance there is no SEC team in the final 4 playoff.

Michigan and Florida State wins, they're both unbeaten and Conference Champs, so they're in. The winner of the Washingon/Oregon game is either unbeaten or has 1 loss and is a Conference Champ. Both are currently ranked above Alabama so a win is not going to drop either below the Tide, so that's 3. Last but not least, if Texas wins out, they're a Conference Champ, have 1 loss, are currently ranked above Alabama and have beaten them as well. So they'd be in above them. That's 4. You could argue that Georgia should still get in with one loss, but they would not be a Conference Champ and thus would arguably have a weaker resume than either Michigan, FSU, Washington/Oregon and Texas.

That scenario (apart from the Georgia loss) is probably what's going to happen.

Alabama wins, every likelihood that there is no SEC team in the playoffs.
Strength of schedule/resume will matter, as well as the manner of a loss by Georgia. If it's a blowout (it won't be), then maybe Georgia gets left out. Otherwise even with a decent loss to Alabama, Georgia will have beaten #9 Missouri and #11 Mississippi, losing to #6 Alabama. If Texas wins out, they've beaten #6 Alabama and #19 Oklahoma State, losing to #12 Oklahoma. In this scenario I see Georgia pipping Texas.

If Alabama beats Georgia, they have a win against the #1 team in the country, plus wins against #11 Mississippi and #13 LSU. I see the committee putting Alabama above Texas as well.

(The ranking system is a bit of a scam, I think that SEC teams benefit from arbitrarily high rankings early in the season, and rankings should not apply until mid season).

I just don't see them having the balls to value a conference championship and a solitary win over Alabama enough to have Texas pip an Alabama that's SEC champion. It would be hilarious to see the meltdown from Finebaum and co.

My idea for the playoff a few years ago was strictly 5 conference champions + top ranked G5 champion + 2 at large teams. A 12 team playoff just seems bloated.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Strength of schedule/resume will matter, as well as the manner of a loss by Georgia. If it's a blowout (it won't be), then maybe Georgia gets left out. Otherwise even with a decent loss to Alabama, Georgia will have beaten #9 Missouri and #11 Mississippi, losing to #6 Alabama. If Texas wins out, they've beaten #6 Alabama and #19 Oklahoma State, losing to #12 Oklahoma. In this scenario I see Georgia pipping Texas.

If Alabama beats Georgia, they have a win against the #1 team in the country, plus wins against #11 Mississippi and #13 LSU. I see the committee putting Alabama above Texas as well.

(The ranking system is a bit of a scam, I think that SEC teams benefit from arbitrarily high rankings early in the season, and rankings should not apply until mid season).

I just don't see them having the balls to value a conference championship and a solitary win over Alabama enough to have Texas pip an Alabama that's SEC champion. It would be hilarious to see the meltdown from Finebaum and co.

My idea for the playoff a few years ago was strictly 5 conference champions + top ranked G5 champion + 2 at large teams. A 12 team playoff just seems bloated.
I definitely think Texas would get in over Alabama. The SOS is an issue but the important thing is that their biggest win was not only against the Tide but on the road as well. Head to head to me (and I believe the Committee as well) is the single most important factor if their records are close and two 1 loss Conference Champs have similar resumes. As for Georgia, they would be a 1 loss non Champion with their loss being at the season's end (no excuse to say they've got better as the season progressed). They'd have a shot I suppose but Texas would have beaten the team they had just lost to, so I still say Georgia don't make it.

In all honesty, I think the least deserving team is FSU. Their best win was against a 3 loss LSU team which was also the first game of the season, so teams are still getting their act together. This has been a really down year for the ACC and even if FSU wins this weekend it will be against a team that was just beaten by a 5 loss Kentucky team that even Tennessee managed to beat.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
On another subject. Can someone explain to me how Missouri is ranked above Ole Miss? They both have 2 losses. Ole Miss to Georgia and Alabama on the road (two top 10 teams) and Missouri to Georgia on the road and LSU at home. Ole Miss beat LSU.

Don't understand it myself.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
On another subject. Can someone explain to me how Missouri is ranked above Ole Miss? They both have 2 losses. Ole Miss to Georgia and Alabama on the road (two top 10 teams) and Missouri to Georgia on the road and LSU at home. Ole Miss beat LSU.

Dates of the losses?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Speaking of SEC nonsense, it's hilarious listening to homers like Finebaum, who looks like a penis head with ears, try to downplay Alabama's home loss to Texas. In SEC homer fan logic, it means nada because it "came in week 2!" whereas if it were some other scenario that helped an SEC school it would be significant win used to boost title hopes.'

Booger McFarland definitely comes across as logical when he says that game should be held against Alabama in any scenario on who gets in over who.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Dates of the losses?
Ole Miss has lost once since the 3rd week in September to the number 1 team in the country on the road. Missouri has lost twice (including a home loss) in the same period.

Like I said. Don't get it myself.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ole Miss has lost once since the 3rd week in September to the number 1 team in the country on the road. Missouri has lost twice (including a home loss) in the same period.

Like I said. Don't get it myself.
That's all I had to offer. Agree on the incredulity.

Carolina Red

Staff

Eye test - I think Mizzou would run all over Ole Miss’ defense.

How they lost to UGA - Mizzou pushed UGA well into the 4th quarter. Ole Miss lost 52-17.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Eye test - I think Mizzou would run all over Ole Miss’ defense.

How they lost to UGA - Mizzou pushed UGA well into the 4th quarter. Ole Miss lost 52-17.
I didn't think "margin of victory" was supposed to matter to the committee. The Ole Miss/Georgia game was typical Kiffin where if you get behind you take outrageous chances to get back in it. Sometimes it works, against Georgia it backfired in spades. I do think Mizzou would run all over the Ole Miss defense, but I think the Ole Miss offense would be even more effective against the Missouri defense. I would definitely take Ole Miss in a shoot out between the two.

Just for discussions sake. Where's the "eye test" in the LSU games. Do they not count?

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
Just for discussions sake. Where's the "eye test" in the LSU games. Do they not count?
They were essentially the same game, both back and forth offensive shootouts... Ole Miss just came out on top in theirs.

I wouldn't say that would outweigh the blowout by UGA on Ole Miss.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
They were essentially the same game, both back and forth offensive shootouts... Ole Miss just came out on top in theirs.

I wouldn't say that would outweigh the blowout by UGA on Ole Miss.
Isn't coming out on top the most important thing though? They had two common opponents on their respective schedules. Ole Miss went 1-1 and Mizzou went 0-2. Surely that is a better eye test., especially since both of the Ole Miss games were on the road. I thought wins and losses were what mattered most to the committee.

Still say it makes no sense and it is probably going to cost Ole Miss a Premier bowl game.

....and I think Kiffin is an ass, and I'm still sticking up for his team.

Carolina Red

Staff
Isn't coming out on top the most important thing though? They had two common opponents on their respective schedules. Ole Miss went 1-1 and Mizzou went 0-2. Surely that is a better eye test., especially since both of the Ole Miss games were on the road. I thought wins and losses were what mattered most to the committee.

Still say it makes no sense and it is probably going to cost Ole Miss a Premier bowl game.

....and I think Kiffin is an ass, and I'm still sticking up for his team.
It's not. That basically goes against what eye test means.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Also, this isn't true.

Mizzou beat Arkansas 48-14
Ole Miss beat Arkansas 27-20
Missed that one. But it just means Ole Miss is 2-1 and Mizzou is 1-2.
It's not. That basically goes against what eye test means.
Your basing your "eye test" entirely on Ole Miss getting blown out in one game against the number 1 team in the country where they essentially threw in the towel. at the end. Surely an "eye test" should encompass a series of games especially against common opponents. The LSU games seem to be completely ignored by the committee. Playing a team close is surely not as impactful as actually winning the game. No matter how you frame it, going 2-1 against common opponents is better than 1-2 unless my eyes are deceiving me.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Looking at this Oregon Washington game and is there any particular reason that Oregon are massive favourites even though they are on the road & already lost to Washington

Carolina Red

Staff
Your basing your "eye test" entirely on Ole Miss getting blown out in one game against the number 1 team in the country
I am, in fact, not. I’ve watched the majority of both of these teams games. I didn’t connect the blow out to the eye test as being the only aspect of it. I said it it a completely different point in my first post on this to point out that one of them has a large blowout loss on their resume while one doesn’t.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I am, in fact, not. I’ve watched the majority of both of these teams games. I didn’t connect the blow out to the eye test as being the only aspect of it. I said it it a completely different point in my first post on this to point out that one of them has a large blowout loss on their resume while one doesn’t.
I've watched most of the Ole Miss games. I think Kiffin's teams are entertaining. Not watched as many of the Mizzou games, I'd say about half but have taken more notice recently. I suppose what it boils down to is you believe one blow out loss is worse for a team's overall resume than I do.

It would appear the committee agree with you. I'll bet Lane agrees with me.
I

Carolina Red

Staff
I've watched most of the Ole Miss games. I think Kiffin's teams are entertaining. Not watched as many of the Mizzou games, I'd say about half but have taken more notice recently. I suppose what it boils down to is you believe one blow out loss is worse for a team's overall resume than I do.

It would appear the committee agree with you. I'll bet Lane agrees with me.
I
I mean, I would hope that Kiffin would promote his own team :lol:

JezChan

Very happy for the Huskies to take out the win but sadder about what's happening to the PAC-12. This is truly the worst timeline.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Looking at this Oregon Washington game and is there any particular reason that Oregon are massive favourites even though they are on the road & already lost to Washington
Well the result shows why I couldn’t get my head around the spread

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can anyone explain what's the issue with the PAC-12 right now? Not really up to date with that storyline.

Who's winning the Heisman then, Daniels or Penix?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We might be starting our third string QB tonight. No clue who would be backing him up. :lol:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
We might be starting our third string QB tonight. No clue who would be backing him up. :lol:
I'll be pulling for you guys. Always had a soft spot for FSU ever since Bobby Bowden. He always came across to me as a decent guy.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'll be pulling for you guys. Always had a soft spot for FSU ever since Bobby Bowden. He always came across to me as a decent guy.
Thanks, we might need it!

I'm comfortable with the backup Rodemaker, but the QB3 has thrown 4 passes all year.

Bowden was a pretty good dude, glad we were able to get him two championships before he retired. One hell of a recruiter too.