College Football 2023

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Bowden broke so many of his own coaching rules to put this cnut on the national stage. He performed sublimely for us, but won't claim his Seminole history & doesn't even want to be associated with us.

Hope his horseshit project in Boulder comes crashing down around him...

I dunno, seems like he's calling it like it is. The system was created to ensure the SEC get a bid every year and sometimes two bids.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I dunno, seems like he's calling it like it is. The system was created to ensure the SEC get a bid every year and sometimes two bids.
I actually agree with what he is saying, I resigned myself to that fact a few days ago. Sunday at noon played out exactly as was anticipated.

His dismissal of his time at FSU is the more irritating aspect of this for me as I got into watching the Seminoles when he was a freshman. Dude was the bomb, time stopped at our house when Deion was about to field a punt. He was on a pedestal that we built for him & he embraced it while putting his money where his mouth was. He absolutely delivered for us again & again. It was a completely symbiotic relationship, both sides benefitted immensely & it helped to change how Bowden dealt with true superstars in a changing environment. He couldn't have had the pedestal at UM, he would have been just a cog in the wheel of dominance of the 80s & one of many outspoken characters through that time on the Hurricanes. UF simply wasn't a factor back then. Would have sat as a freshman if he went to Nebraska or Oklahoma, etc., etc. To see him erasing his collegiate past as cavalierly as he does, well, feck the cnut.

MrMarcello

IRT to the playoff, it's such an asinine stance when analysts talk about FSU "only scored 16 points against Louisville" and barely beat Florida (by 9 points) but apparently dismiss, or conveniently forget, that awesome Alabama 17-3 victory over powerhouse South Florida* and barely surviving an Arkansas upset 24-21^, a school that finished 4-8. And haven't heard a peep from certain names about that Auburn fluke last second win, against a 6-6 school.

*3-3 at halftime, 10-3 after 3Qs, and a late score with 0:33 left to pad the score differential.
^21-6 at halftime, 21-13 after 3Qs, an early 4Q score to cut to 24-21 before running out the clock after Arkansas chose to punt on 4-and-19 at the ARK-35 with 5:05 left.

Grinding out wins only matters for negative style points when it's not an SEC or other popular school.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
And now Jordan Travis isn’t even a Heisman candidate.

Is he single handedly responsible for an undefeated record or not?

MrMarcello

It's probably true but perhaps insiders like Kirk get fed information before others. Or maybe ABC/ESPN influenced the decision. But I'd think he'd place them in matchup order above/below or side-to-side if knowing in advance.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...k-herbstreit-advanced-knowledge-playoff-teams
College Football Fans Convinced Kirk Herbstreit Had Advanced Knowledge of Playoff Teams

MrMarcello

It's funny how some were so worried about a TCU repeat with FSU when CFP blowouts and mismatches in the past didn't matter apparently, if the school was named Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc. I can understand the pedigree argument for schools often in the mix but not buying the whole TCU repeat excuse. If said team earned a bid based on winning all their scheduled games then so be it if they get blownout in the playoff, it happens to full strength teams. It's just an excuse to pick the SEC rep (or Texas perhaps to squeeze Alabama in).

I think some forget TCU beat the favored Michigan, do we think Michigan gets blownout as well? Well maybe so, guess the committee should have binned Michigan for consecutive letdowns.

Note: I'm not including all scores with large MoVs as some were close into the 4th qtr than the final score indicates.
Note: * indicates championship game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff#Games
Oregon 59-20 FSU -- 18-13 at halftime, 45-20 at end 3rd
Alabama 38-0 Mich State -- 10-0 at halftime, 31-0 at end 3rd
Clemson 31-0 Ohio State -- 17-0 at halftime, total cruise control
Clemson 30-3 Notre Dame -- 23-3 at halftime, total cruise control
*Clemson 44-16 Alabama -- 31-16 at halftime, 44-16 at end 3rd; pulled away in 2nd qtr
LSU 63-28 Oklahoma -- 49-14 at halftime, 56-14 after opening 3rd qtr drive
Alabama 31-14 Notre Dame -- 21-7 at halftime, 28-7 at end 3rd; Irish late score blushed the result
Ohio State 49-28 Clemson -- 35-14 at halftime, 42-21 at end 3rd
*Alabama 52-24 Ohio State -- 35-17 at halftime, 45-24 at end 3rd
Georgia 34-11 Michigan -- 27-3 at halftime; Michigan late score blushed result

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We are apparently a ‘top suitor’ among a few schools of DJ Ukulele heading back to the ACC from Oregon State.

MrMarcello

Ewers is almost certainly returning for another year to hedge his NFL status, but if he puts on a couple showgames in the CFP he could turn scout heads. Add in a great combine and/or pro day could vault him up the draft board. He's not ready for the NFL now but perhaps going if/when the hype is high, cash in, sit for a couple years to develop is the right way. Though with NIL cash, Heisman candidacy, and a potential title (repeat title?) run he probably sticks around.

I predict Arch will remain at Texas regardless. But that opens the door for someone to lure a potential stud in Maalik Murphy. He's from Gardena, perhaps a SoCal return in the future?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Wouldn't make sense for MHJ given that it would mean his big second contract is just one year further away. For Henderson, I have no clue anymore what's best for RBs at this point.

MrMarcello

How the feck did Milroe finish sixth in Heisman voting?

He was 41st in passing yards, 29th in completion percentage, and 25th in TD passes. Seems a pure Alabama/SEC bias there. McCarthy, Caleb, Beck, Gabriel were better, and so was Ewers despite missing a game. One could argue Maye was better considering the talent level discrepancies at UNC compared to Alabama.

As for the award winner, I would pick Penix just ahead of Nix but Daniels will win it with the usual east coast voting bias.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Why is he leaving OU? And how is getting a sixth year having participated in five seasons/four full seasons?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...a-ucf-quarterback-to-replace-bo-nix-on-ducks/
Dillon Gabriel transfers to Oregon: Former Oklahoma, UCF quarterback to replace Bo Nix on Ducks

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dillon-gabriel-1.html
No one on OU's end is surprised. That was always the plan; it is Jackson Arnold's time.

As far as the extra year, I'm guessing that is still the covid year thing?

Charlie Foley

There was a guy from ole miss next to us who was complaining about going for 2 instead of making it 17-10. I think the analytics say go for 2 but when your offence sucks like Navy…anyway the ole miss guy was complaining that since they missed it it was now a 2 score game which was such a mess of misunderstanding counting

RedDevilQuebecois

I’m a Navy fan. Was able to see the 2nd half of the game after my team finished a wrestling tournament. Was gutted by the finish.
I live in Annapolis. Fairly ambivalent about college football, my wife is a fan, but we were out in a bar so were cheering for navy on the final few drives.
Yeah, it's a shame that Navy couldn't get those last few yards. It would have been one hell of a comeback.