Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

3KDré

Just going to post the very last verse of the entire album here because I love it. I love it when rappers talk about genuine things and not about trivial things, expressing their true opinion and being genuine and bold about it. Whether his opinion is true or not, I love the honesty of it.

If you would rather listen to the verse before read it, do not read this:

What the government is doin' amongst our people is downright evil
Disturbin', but not surprisin', that's for certain
With all of the conflict of propaganda, I believe they are simply tryna slander
Start a Civil War within the USA amongst black and white and those alike
They are simply pushin' us to our limit so that we can all get together and get with it
They want us to rebel, so that it makes easier for them to kill us and put us in jails
Alton Sterlings are happenin' every day in this country and around the world
The scary part, boys and girls
Is most of these stories don't make it to the news and reach mass consciousness
It is for sure time that we as a people stand up for acknowledgement
And accomplishment of what we call human rights
It is time to rebel, better yet, raise hell
I just want everyone to be cautious about how they go about it
Because this is all part of the government's plan and what they been plottin'
They're literally beggin' for this to happen, so they can kill us off
Usin' uprisin' and rebellion as they excuse in a timely fashion

The cancerous foods, the chemical warfare, economic sufferin' is not workin' fast enough
There are many steps ahead of us and manifestin' the future that they want
We have to work together, not only rattlin' them on a physical plane
But to outsmart them on an intellectual mental level the same
As black men, I think our gangs need to do a better job at protectin' us
The people, our communities and not assistin' in destroyin' them brutally
It's time to even the score
'Cause who do we call when the police break the law?
We are so quick to pick up a gun and kill one another
But not quick enough to pick it up and protect each other
The code words to killin' a black man by police is, "He's got a gun"
Damned if he do, damned if he don't, damned if he runs

Or what about them? Them murderers got it
We need solutions, you better start plottin' now
It's always been clear that they don't value our lives
My people been sufferin' way too long
And I'm tired of singin' the same old song
People actin' like this shit isn't happenin', it's downright wrong
Justice won't be served by a hashtag, and that's the very reason I ask that
What are we to do? We're scattered around
With no clue of this ugly truth
All we know is who they ridiculed and who gets minisculed
Time to wake the feck up and do our own research
And not form opinions based on just what we've heard
Ameri-K-K-K-a is force feedin' you lies down your throats with a silver spoon
And eventually, we'll all be doomed
Real, real, real soon

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's very good. I've always got time for Joey. I think he's doing a little bit too much sing-rapping for my liking, though.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
New Jay-z album is out. Anybody heard it?

I haven't listened yet, i'm going to sign up for Tidal and give it a few streams over the weekend.

From what I can see the general consensus is that it's very good, strong production also.

JoaquinJoaquin

I haven't listened yet, i'm going to sign up for Tidal and give it a few streams over the weekend.

From what I can see the general consensus is that it's very good, strong production also.
Yeah I really like it. I was fearing the worst as I didn't rate MCHG but it's really good. The production is excellent.

Sweet Square

Nice beat. Not really into the lyrics, but at least he's rapping, unlike half the nonsense posted in this thread.
Just found a great video pointing out the piano sample

The original is Janko Nilovic - Blue Stone

I'll wait until it's released on another platform but spoiler alert

He cheated on Beyonce :eek:

JoaquinJoaquin

Where would you rank it among albums that's been released so far this year?
Good question. After a bad start I feel like there has been so many good albums come out recently. I think Kendrick's is the best so far still. I like 2 Chainz, Rick Ross, Kodak Black and Drake's albums aswell.

I think I'd maybe rank it Top 3 but I'm a big Jay-Z fan so might be a bit biased.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
@Sweet Square I'm still confused on how or why he did that!

@JoaquinJoaquin very high praise in deed, I agree with you that this has been a very good year in music in general but especially hip hop.
Apparently he dissed Kanye on it too?

JoaquinJoaquin

Apparently he dissed Kanye on it too?
Yeah, was just subtle little jabs at him. But knowing what Kanye is like you wouldn't be shocked if he blows it massively out of proportion and takes it further.

For example:

"I hit the gym, all chest no legs"- Kanye

"Uh, ****** is skippin' leg day just to run they mouth" - Hov

bleezy

Gave it a quick listen and I really liked it on first listen. What Jay should be sounding like at this point of his career, lots of honesty and that 'grown man rap', open about where he is now and the mistakes he's made before and where he's come from to be one of the greats.

Kendrick has the best album of the year wrapped up already but this could potentially be top 3 or 5 depending on how I like it after a few more spins.

@vi1lain Quite a clear Kanye diss in the first song. Sounded like a couple of half pops at him in other songs but I might be reaching or not hearing them properly after just one listen.

DWelbz19

It's very good. Perfectly lengthened, crisp production, and it's far more intimate and personal than anything Jay-Z has ever released before.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I can't wait to listen now, let me go ahead and use a fake email for tidal :wenger:

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Just can't be bothered with Jay-Z anymore. He's been bang average at best for a good decade now and hiding this new album behind a paywall to fund a failing company that he never should have started isn't gonna flirt with my interest. It would be best for all involved if Jay just did what Dre decided to do after The Chronic, which is work mainly as a manager and producer for proteges who were either much better than him behind the mic (Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick) or had fresh commercial appeal for the 21st century (The Game, 50 Cent). All this retirement/comeback/retirement shit is tiresome, especially when the returns have been getting gradually worse each time he's had a "revival".

Kostur

海尔的老板
I could never really get into Jay either, plus the whole whoring out alongside Beyonce, all that shit, it just puts me off.

DWelbz19

You people are so caught up on appearances. First Kanye, now Jay-Z. What happened to just caring about the music?

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Only Jay Z album i like is Reasonable Doubt. The one artist i couldn't get into. Although that album is brilliant.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Damn, I was ready to hate but this Jay album be knocking. The first of his albums to resonate with me in a long while, the 2nd verse on Marcy Me might well be his Jordan-over-Byron-Russell moment.

ArmchairCritic

Just can't be bothered with Jay-Z anymore. He's been bang average at best for a good decade now and hiding this new album behind a paywall to fund a failing company that he never should have started isn't gonna flirt with my interest. It would be best for all involved if Jay just did what Dre decided to do after The Chronic, which is work mainly as a manager and producer for proteges who were either much better than him behind the mic (Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick) or had fresh commercial appeal for the 21st century (The Game, 50 Cent). All this retirement/comeback/retirement shit is tiresome, especially when the returns have been getting gradually worse each time he's had a "revival".
You see I used to think this but in light of Prodigy's untimely passing I been thinking about this a lot. Why do rap fans abandon rappers as they age? They still have much to add and say although they might not capture the imagination as much as when you first heard them. Even if you listen to the whole album and you only catch one thing from it, it is still worthwhile and it should be cherished that you can still enjoy these moments from such totemic figures.

I suppose intrinsically, being so forward looking, rap is a young mans game but the old ones still can produce gems from time to time.

Last edited:

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
You see I used to think this but in light of Prodigy's untimely passing I been thinking about this a lot. Why do rap fans abandon rappers as they age? They still have much to add and say although they might now capture the imagination as much as when you first heard them. Even if you listen to the whole album and you only catch one thing from it, it is still worthwhile and it should be cherished that you can still enjoy these moments from such totemic figures.

I suppose intrinsically, being so forward looking, rap is young mans game but the old ones still can produce gems from time to time.
Timeless, so age don't count in the booth
When your flow stay submerged in the fountain of youth

Member 5225

People do realise you don't have to have Tidal to listen to it right.....right?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just given Jay's new album a listen, it's a little hit and miss but mostly quite strong. It might grow on me more after a few more listens.

Didn't even know it was coming, so a nice surprise, I've always liked his flow.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
In an era where we don't have to download each album 'cuz streaming services have millions available on demand.

You'd hope that fans wouldn't actually mind signing up to a streaming service for an nominal fee, and actually support the artist.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
You see I used to think this but in light of Prodigy's untimely passing I been thinking about this a lot. Why do rap fans abandon rappers as they age? They still have much to add and say although they might not capture the imagination as much as when you first heard them. Even if you listen to the whole album and you only catch one thing from it, it is still worthwhile and it should be cherished that you can still enjoy these moments from such totemic figures.

I suppose intrinsically, being so forward looking, rap is a young mans game but the old ones still can produce gems from time to time.
I don't really care about a rapper's age, or the age of any artist for that matter, I care about the quality of their output demanding the commotion which always surrounds a Jay-Z release. Ice Cube's a year older than Jay but his new single 'Good Cap Bad Cop' is one of his best since the 90s; Butterfly from Digable Planets is still knocking out creative stuff as Shabazz Palaces; Kanye will be in his early 40s by the time his next album comes out but I'll still listen. Common's 45, MF Doom's 46, Q-Tip and Ghostface are 47, they've all released great stuff since Jay-Z last put anything decent together. It's nothing to do with age. It's more the fact that Jay-Z's not released an even halfway decent album since 2007. He's not released a classic since 2002. He's not lost it because he's 47, he's just lost it.

ArmchairCritic

I don't really care about a rapper's age, or the age of any artist for that matter, I care about the quality of their output demanding the commotion which always surrounds a Jay-Z release. Ice Cube's a year older than Jay but his new single 'Good Cap Bad Cop' is one of his best since the 90s; Butterfly from Digable Planets is still knocking out creative stuff as Shabazz Palaces; Kanye will be in his early 40s by the time his next album comes out but I'll still listen. Common's 45, MF Doom's 46, Q-Tip and Ghostface are 47, they've all released great stuff since Jay-Z put anything decent together. It's nothing to do with age. It's more the fact that Jay-Z's not released an even halfway decent album since 2007. He's not released a classic since 2002. He's not lost it because he's 47, he's just lost it.
You could you know just ignore the commotion and like listen to the album and form your own opinion. Also Jay was rapping very well on Watch The Throne so he has been on halfway decent album this decade anyway.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
There's always been a hollowness to Jay-Z and his music that I've never managed to look past, especially in the last 10 years.

A lot of aging rappers never evolve their sound and I think that's a reason why a lot of people loose interest in them.

DWelbz19

A lot of aging rappers never evolve their sound and I think that's a reason why a lot of people loose interest in them.
That's definitely a part, but it is a bit of a double-edged sword. If you 'evolve' your sound into something different you'll end up with narratives like "I loved his old shit but his new stuff is so different"

Sweet Square

@Sweet Square I'm still confused on how or why he did that!
Yeah easily one of the most stupidest decision a person can make. Also still haven't listen to it but it seems theres some anti-Semitism in the album

https://www.thejc.com/news/world/jay-z-accused-of-antisemitism-on-new-album-4-44-1.440833

You wanna know what's more important than throwin' away money at a strip club? Credit. 'You ever wonder why Jewish people own all the property in America? This how they did it.'

Which is disappointing.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I found very little to get excited about on Jay-Z's new album, it wasn't bad, it's just kind of meh. I really don't care much about his personal life either, I really can't identify with a middle-aged man who is incredibly rich and married to someone who is also incredibly rich and successful.