Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

RedTiger

Half mast
Only just got round to listening to some DJ Supreme tracks from last year, a modernised version of the old skool UK style, I thought it was simply brilliant.

I'm behind the times but Incase no-one else has heard the tracks I'll post a couple.

haram

New Wayne x Drake

Drake talks briefly about Meek, Trump and Kaepernick.

air_mood

Listen to Castle and Arose off Eminem’s new album. Listen to the 2 songs back to back. Brilliant storytelling. Excellent way to end the album.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Thoughts on Cardi B in here? The music, not the person.
She struck gold with "Bodak Yellow". I would be shocked if she got another hit on that caliber. She'll be back to minor celebrity status in a year, and is best focused on cashing in on the single and investing wisely.

I'm not a fan of the song per say, but it's something about the song that resonates with a wide swathe of women. Being more specific, there's something oddly satisfying to some women about stuntin' on the next bitch. I mean, the first line goes...

"See little BITCH, you can't feck with me, if you wanted to..."

Many lines in the song pluck on that same vein of superiority. Red bottoms and cars you don't have. Your own man wanting to feck me (as in Cardi). Add a layer of allegiance to her hard beginnings in the Bronx. It's a really well knit song.

haram

She struck gold with "Bodak Yellow". I would be shocked if she got another hit on that caliber. She'll be back to minor celebrity status in a year, and is best focused on cashing in on the single and investing wisely.

I'm not a fan of the song per say, but it's something about the song that resonates with a wide swathe of women. Being more specific, there's something oddly satisfying to some women about stuntin' on the next bitch. I mean, the first line goes...

Many lines in the song pluck on that same vein of superiority. Red bottoms and cars you don't have. Your own man wanting to feck me (as in Cardi). Add a layer of allegiance to her hard beginnings in the Bronx. It's a really well knit song.
Bartier Cardi ft 21 Savage has potential.

Roosney

Just checked out Statik's mixtape '8', I'd recommend it, plenty of good artists, plenty of good production, it's a nice listen.
The Lox and Griselda tracks were pretty fecking good. Overall a bit too polished for me but still a very good album.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Thoughts on Cardi B in here? The music, not the person.
You’re saying that as if there’s something wrong with the person?

I’m not a big fan of her music, it’s not my cup of tea unless I’m drunk - but I love everything about her and can’t see why anybody wouldn’t admire her, or her journey.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

I don’t think it’s about stunting on other women, Cardi is, and always has been about female empowerment especially from the female rappers she idolised.
The lyrics are just what most rap songs about, just a female rapping about the same thing the guys do.
That’s the only difference.

I’ve never heard the song and thought I was about to stunt on the next woman, quite the opposite - when it comes on me and my girlfriends get hype and start rapping in unison.

roseguy64

You’re saying that as if there’s something wrong with the person?

I’m not a big fan of her music, it’s not my cup of tea unless I’m drunk - but I love everything about her and can’t see why anybody wouldn’t admire her, or her journey.
No just wanted comments on her music. I have nothing against her as a person.

roseguy64

She's played it smart and been a featured artist on two other tracks which have made the top 10. No Limit and Motorsport. The real test now is her getting there on her own again like Nicki and Missy have done IIRC. Also, Eve and Lil Kim along with Salt-N-Pepa.

Oh and Iggy Azalea.

adexkola

Supports
I don’t think it’s about stunting on other women, Cardi is, and always has been about female empowerment especially from the female rappers she idolised.
The lyrics are just what most rap songs about, just a female rapping about the same thing the guys do.
That’s the only difference.

I’ve never heard the song and thought I was about to stunt on the next woman, quite the opposite - when it comes on me and my girlfriends get hype and start rapping in unison.
I don't buy it.

I see what you're saying, it's a great song to sing with your girlfriends and all, but surely you admit that that is not the reason why it is so popular? It's not necessarily swag-surfing and kumbaya. That would be like me labeling Ante Up a positive song because when it comes on, I and my friends form a mosh pit.

Yes it's similar to other hit songs written in previous years by men, where the idea of stunting on the next guy/girl is prevalent. Doesn't mean that everyone who likes the song buys into that element. A significant amount of people do though.

adexkola

Supports
She's played it smart and been a featured artist on two other tracks which have made the top 10. No Limit and Motorsport. The real test now is her getting there on her own again like Nicki and Missy have done IIRC. Also, Eve and Lil Kim along with Salt-N-Pepa.

Oh and Iggy Azalea.
She won't get to Missy's level (who was a multi-platinum level songwriter for Aaliyah and co before striking out on her own) or the other artists you mention who could actually rap well. I don't see that talent in anything she's done. She's being pushed by the label right now, so anything she is on will get heavy play on the radio. All contingent on her releasing more Bodak Yellows.

haram

I don't buy it.

I see what you're saying, it's a great song to sing with your girlfriends and all, but surely you admit that that is not the reason why it is so popular? It's not necessarily swag-surfing and kumbaya. That would be like me labeling Ante Up a positive song because when it comes on, I and my friends form a mosh pit.

Yes it's similar to other hit songs written in previous years by men, where the idea of stunting on the next guy/girl is prevalent. Doesn't mean that everyone who likes the song buys into that element. A significant amount of people do though.
Girls listen to that song and sing along to it as if Cardi is THEM. They definitely feel empowered by it imo.

adexkola

Supports
Girls listen to that song and sing along to it as if Cardi is THEM. They definitely feel empowered by it imo.
I'm sure they do (I see them shout the lyrics every night I've gone out this year, along with fearsome gesticulations at some invisible adversary). I also hear the lyrics.

haram

I'm sure they do (I see them shout the lyrics every night I've gone out this year, along with fearsome gesticulations at some invisible adversary). I also hear the lyrics.
Yeah, I think it's great tbh :lol:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't buy it.

I don’t think there’s any singular reason why it’s so popular.
I think a lot of people, especially women, buy into Cardi B because of who she is. Her personality and energy brings people together and people see themselves in her. That approachability, authenticity and lack of filter is so endearing. Especially for a female rapper, where were used to seeing people pit them against each other, or only reduce them to their sexuality.

The stars have aligned for her this year.
I agree, she’ll eventually find her level and die out, but I don’t think that’s unique to her.
Even the likes of Yachty have struggled to maintain their previous momentum this year.

I agree, nothing greater than a song that instantly lifts the crowd. It reminds me of Beyonce's "Single Ladies" in that women are unapproachable for a few minutes afterwards :lol:
Don’t get me started on the power of Beyonce.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

Cardi B was quite popular on prior to the rap stuff and it's just carried through really. There's no analysis required on Cardi B. Cardi B cares about Cardi B and always has and that's a message people identify with.

'Bodak Yellow' was a song I could never come around to because it's a rip-off of 'No Flockin'' by Kodak Black and not as half as good. It's interesting to watch these increasingly derivative songs reach critical mass through social media ('Mans Not Hot' is another example and that was a flippin' parody) and just reinforces my impression that no one actually listens to raps and that I am now officially old. If Cardi lets Offset ghostwrite for her she'll be around for a while IMO.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Another soundtrack from Black Panther, will also feature on Jay's new album.

Disclaimer: skip from 1:12 to 2:00 to avoid shit music.

haram

Drake just dropped 2 songs, God's Plan and Diplomatic Immunity.....

Diplomatic Immunity is maybe one of his best showcases of lyricism ever. Shots at Joe Budden as well.

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yeah but when he releases a single with a hook that he sings, everyone will call him a pop rapper :rolleyes:

He’s really honing the talking/conversation flow.

adexkola

Supports
Drake just dropped 2 songs, God's Plan and Diplomatic Immunity.....

Diplomatic Immunity is maybe one of his best showcases of lyricism ever. Shots at Joe Budden as well.

Meh, I think his "random time" in "random city" series set the bar. This is decent to very good. Maybe it's the beat for me, sounds too pedestrian. Doesn't sound like a 40/Boi-1da beat.

Budden said on his podcast recently that the beef was squashed. Maybe it's a parting shot? Didn't seem too venomous and specific.

haram

Meh, I think his "random time" in "random city" series set the bar. This is decent to very good. Maybe it's the beat for me, sounds too pedestrian. Doesn't sound like a 40/Boi-1da beat.

Budden said on his podcast recently that the beef was squashed. Maybe it's a parting shot? Didn't seem too venomous and specific.
Dallas, Toronto, Calabasas are great. New York, not so much.