Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Thoughts on Culture II ?

Not so bad so far, but some where after the 13th song i'm sure i'll be ready to give up

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Thoughts on Culture II ?

Not so bad so far, but some where after the 13th song i'm sure i'll be ready to give up
Not the biggest Migos fan, but I'll probably give this a skim over sometime. Find them very, very samey, and while I don't need everything to be 'conscious', there's a level of vapid where I just start to tune out after a while - and Migos often occupy that area for me.

Not the biggest modern Trap fan in general barring the real classics (Trap Lord, early Gucci Mane etc).

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Not the biggest Migos fan, but I'll probably give this a skim over sometime. Find them very, very samey, and while I don't need everything to be 'conscious', there's a level of vapid where I just start to tune out after a while - and Migos often occupy that area for me.

Not the biggest modern Trap fan in general barring the real classics (Trap Lord, early Gucci Mane etc).
I wasn’t able to finish it, it got to the point where I was listening out of habit because an hour had passed and I stopped being able to decipher what song was what :lol:

haram

Drake flow imperious. Shaping up to be a great 2018 for him.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Drake flow imperious. Shaping up to be a great 2018 for him.
Everything he's been on has been great this year so far.

I'm hoping he drops a surprise album at some point, with some afro beats inspired songs on it too

Kostur

海尔的老板

I actually expected the album to be pretty shit, given it's movie's soundtrack and all, but there are some very good tracks on it, this one with Pray for me being the two best imo.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Imagine hating on this man.

This video made me tear up - but I’m a pussy, so that’s probably why.

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Feel like doing a little wrap-up of things/songs I've enjoyed over the last 3 months because there's way too much Drake/Kendrick talk on here and rap is way too vast now for that:

Drakeo is like Kurupt but with a lean addiction.

LA rap seems increasingly influenced by Southern rap culture.

03 Greedo is the best new artist I've heard since Young Thug in 2013.

It's a shame Kodak is a bad person because he's a brilliant rapper.

Valee (the 2nd dude) next up out of Chicago, just signed to GOOD Music too.

Payroll x Cardo back with that motivational Detroit Mobb Muzik. I recommend the whole project, very listenable.

New NBA Youngboy, SOB X RBE (that Black Panther soundtrack song slaps so hard), 03 Greedo and Rae Sremmurd (a triple disc one at that) projects on the horizon too. Rap > everything.

ovoxo

Has anyone watched the God’s plan music video? It’s such a beautiful thing. Props to Drake.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wouldn't really call this "commercial" in the traditional sense. But Phonte of Little Brother fame just released an awesome album. No News is Good News.

Nice, will give this a look, I enjoyed Charity Starts At Home.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Isaiah Rashad has said he's got a new album out this summer.

The Sun's Tirade and Cilvia Demo are both superb. I almost never skip one of his song when it comes on so I can't wait for this.

Roosney

Is 99% of commercial rap mumble rap these days? To me it's just like the days when when Southern rap was the next wave: you heard one song and you'd heard'em all. Fecking boring shitcoat music. /rant

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Is 99% of commercial rap mumble rap these days? To me it's just like the days when when Southern rap was the next wave: you heard one song and you'd heard'em all. Fecking boring shitcoat music. /rant
No, most rap is still ‘traditional rap’, mumble rap takes all the headlines because it annoys people who dislike it so much, so it gets the journalists a lot of clicks.

Also southern rap is amazing, not sure how you can insult it tbh.

haram

Depends what you think ‘mumble rap’ is. I personally hate the term.

Roosney

No, most rap is still ‘traditional rap’, mumble rap takes all the headlines because it annoys people who dislike it so much, so it gets the journalists a lot of clicks.

Also southern rap is amazing, not sure how you can insult it tbh.
In my rap guru books, Drake is the epitome of mumble rap so it's not all about click baiting.

Some of the South rap was very good, but late 90's I think even the NY djs playlists and mixtapes were mostly Dirty South. And the genre was very monotonic as the autotune trap thingy these days.

Roosney

Depends what you think ‘mumble rap’ is. I personally hate the term.
I love the term. They just throw bars together and mumble it through voice decoder to make it a hot rap song. But I'm not knocking their hustle, good for them if they get money.

haram

I love the term. They just throw bars together and mumble it through voice decoder to make it a hot rap song. But I'm not knocking their hustle, good for them if they get money.
It’s used to label rappers who dont even mumble though.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
In my rap guru books, Drake is the epitome of mumble rap so it's not all about click baiting.

Some of the South rap was very good, but late 90's I think even the NY djs playlists and mixtapes were mostly Dirty South. And the genre was very monotonic as the autotune trap thingy these days.
Drake is not mumble rap, far from it actually.
Not really sure what books you’re reading but if you knew the history and evolution of rap and why the sound changed particularly in the mid to late 90s you’d understand why the NY DJ’s also adopted the sound. Limiting it to the dirty south is also limiting and inaccurate as well.

Nothing about hip hop has ever been monotonous, I really don’t understand the point you’re trying to make.
I’m not trying to be rude but you come across as quite ignorant and very dismissive despite your ignorance.

Fair enough if you don’t like southern rap, but monotonous? How can scarface, too short, OGK, OutKast, even ludacris and TI be described as monotonous?

The fact that you ask the question whether 99% of hip hop is now mumble rap means the click baiting has served its purpose, because anyone will tell you that’s not even close to being true.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Having an accent from a part of America where they haven't heard much rap from before = mumble rap to the uninitiated :boring:.

Loublaze

ATLien
Talk about a sweeping statement! No, hiphop today is not 99% mumble rap. Far from it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
No. Not at all. You have the internet at your fingertips, Spotify (probably) on your phone. How could you come to this conclusion?

Lots of popular rap is samey and formulaic at the moment: If a sound makes money it's going to be popular. If that sound is easy to mimic it will go through a sharp run through to the point of saturation. I think (and hope) we're at that point with the current sound that seems to permeate everything.

But the popular stuff is still the 1%, not the 99%. Gets played more than anything else but there's never been a broader spectrum of rap/hip-hop being released than right now.